"Pause racers"

• Thread starter RacingFan1
  • 37 comments
Spain
Spain
I've been screwed up recently by a "pauser" or "pause racer" who is an expert of overtaking on corners by pressing start and pausing and this allows for overtaking during the transparency of the car.
It must take some skill and practice because I'm not able to do it.

But anyway, is there a way to stop these guys doing this bullcrap? Are PD going to fix it for gods sake?
It just completely kills wheel to wheel racing, its like a football player grabbing the ball with the hands, utterly ridiculous.

I've been passed by ghosts but I always assumed it was the game ghosting their ill dive attempts :/

Save a replay, make a video, post in the bug report thread and/or send to PD.

Easy fix, can't un pause until clear of other cars and add a 3 sec countdown.

It would be a good idea to let PD know about your problem.

I've been passed by ghosts but I always assumed it was the game ghosting their ill dive attempts :/

Save a replay, make a video, post in the bug report thread and/or send to PD.

Easy fix, can't un pause until clear of other cars and add a 3 sec countdown.

Really ?? I thought this was already a well known issue...

Of course its an easy fix. VERY easy... Just the car slowing down and dont let unpause after 5 seconds for example. But PD dont seem to care. It's ridiculous...!

It's not really a matter of them 'not caring' if they aren't really aware of it. Especially if it's only now starting to become an exploit. I could swear I thought I saw someone trying a similar strategy in an open lobby race I was in a few days back, wasn't really working for them though..

I had a guy do this to me in the daily B race. I thought it ghosted him for diving the inside line of the corner. He dove inside and ghosted right before we hit, so I held my line and drove thru him. He went back solid right by my rear quarter panel which sent him spinning. I have heard about it before but never actually seen it.

...remove the pause in live racing all together...no reason to pause in real racing.

^ This. It's the only sensible option for a simulator IMHO. Using the pause menu was always against the rules to any series/events/lobbies that I used to run, & anyone breaking the rule would be kicked out of the room.

👍

In my opinion they have to remove the autopilot, so when a player hits the pause button the car will be transparent without any movement, losing positions in the race.
If you need to do anything else during a "race" the other thing is more important than the race! so you can lose positions..

Confession .. I've used it in some races at the beginning (first turn in Tokyo express way ) to avoid to be "dive bombed" by the players non capable in the braking...

IR

Removing the autopilot seems to be an overkill fix. I always thought it to be a really nice feature.

Or, remove the pause in live racing all together. If someone has to quit then oh well. But no reason to pause in real racing.

I've had to hit it an odd time whilst racing. When your tv loses signal it's the only thing you can do to stop you from potentially ruining someone else's race by hitting them and to save your own, as without the autodrive, you would definitely not stay on track with a blank (or fuzzy) screen for a few seconds. ;)

In my opinion they have to remove the autopilot, so when a player hits the pause button the car will be transparent without any movement, losing positions in the race.
If you need to do anything else during a "race" the other thing is more important than the race! so you can lose positions..
IR

I am however not against this, as long as hitting pause brakes the car to a stop, since auto-drive probably shouldn't be in the game, whether anyone can exploit it or not.

I don't understand how it works. When I pause in the middle of a corner the car basically slams on the brakes, taking the corner considerably slower then I would have. How the hell would I overtake anybody like that? I don't get it.

Yes this is true, I'm not sure how this is exploited either, as it does drive really slow. Maybe auto-drive is so "good" it would magically stop a car in a shorter than normal braking distance, you could ghost pass by using this exploit then, as maybe you wouldn't even need to brake. :crazy:

@RacingFan1 Or anyone else, we need some videos really to have an idea how you can exploit this. So it can be stopped of course. :cheers:

Last edited:
My solution would be to limit a car's speed while paused. Maybe not by slamming on the brakes. Just kill the throttle until they're doing 100kph. Longer pauses can then ghost and autodrive as they currently do.

Then have the race start style 3-2-1 countdown from unpause to "get ready." Only steering, and braking will work during this time.

Are we 100% sure that this isn't just the game ghosting low level drivers? GTSport does do that to drivers with a low DR and/or SR to avoid crashes. As others have said, I'm not sure how you'd exploit this given how slow the auto drive goes around corners. The only useful element of 'pause ghosting' is to avoid an epic dive bomb but you'd have to be really on the ball to see it coming and time it right.

@RacingFan1 do you have a video of this? When you pause the cars hazard lights come on, whereas "auto-ghosting" doesn't. That might help clear it up.

I’ve used pause before to avoid dive bombers, they just pass right through you and go off the track instead of smashing into you, but never for an overtake, your car slows down a lot on pause so I don’t see how this really works other than on a big straight where you could draft right through someone.

I don't understand how it works. When I pause in the middle of a corner the car basically slams on the brakes, taking the corner considerably slower than I would have. How the hell would I overtake anybody like that? I don't get it.

It works by performing a dive bomb, hit pause right before your car hits, auto-drive will keep braking, unpause while inside the other car and drive on. I've been passed like that before but always thought it was the game doing some emergency ghosting for out of control cars.

Imo, hit pause, instant teleport to the pit, restart from there.

It works by performing a dive bomb, hit pause right before your car hits, auto-drive will keep braking, unpause while inside the other car and drive on. I've been passed like that before but always thought it was the game doing some emergency ghosting for out of control cars.

Actually the only scenario I could think of ...
If this works, you could exploit pausing for any hard braking into a corner, right ?

Actually the only scenario I could think of ...
If this works, you could exploit pausing for any hard braking into a corner, right ?

Dunno, never tried. But you could use it to avoid accidents and thus penalties, fair or not. PD should either remove the instant unpause anywhere, or teleport you to the pit to avoid this becoming another gaming element. Teleport to the pit would help when you screw up the pit entry at Bathurst :) PD will likely mess it up anyway and on Tokyo South where the pit is 2/3rd of the way you could use it to teleport ahead :lol:

I've been screwed up recently by a "pauser" or "pause racer" who is an expert of overtaking on corners by pressing start and pausing and this allows for overtaking during the transparency of the car.
It must take some skill and practice because I'm not able to do it.

How do you know they've pressed pause?

... its like a football player grabbing the ball with the hands, utterly ridiculous.

... and on that day in 1826, with a fine disregard for the rules, the boy Web-Ellis caught the ball, and ran with it! RIDICULOUS!

I’ve used pause before to avoid dive bombers, they just pass right through you and go off the track instead of smashing into you, but never for an overtake, your car slows down a lot on pause so I don’t see how this really works other than on a big straight where you could draft right through someone.
You've just given me an idea to make RBR in Sport Mode bearable

And why not literally "pause you"? Like the car would ghost and freeze in place immediately until you unpaused. So the time you spent paused = the time you lose. Would that be hard to do? I don't know, I'm not a developer.

It would be very distracting to have a stopped car on the track that might start going again at any moment. The resets popping up in the middle of the last turn at Big Willow have messed me up plenty times.

Auto drive? I've used it before a few times. Once I used it to answer a door once straight after leaving the pits and came back to discover i'd picked up a penalty while in auto drive. I hadn't thought that was possible. The replay showed that auto drive had immediately swerved onto the racing line causing a big crash.

Unless pause and auto drive are not the same thing - I didn't know you were ghosted now as the incident above was a while ago and how exactly slow do you have to be for auto drive to be faster than you?

Auto drive? I've used it before a few times. Once I used it to answer a door once straight after leaving the pits and came back to discover i'd picked up a penalty while in auto drive. I hadn't thought that was possible. The replay showed that auto drive had immediately swerved onto the racing line causing a big crash.

Unless pause and auto drive are not the same thing - I didn't know you were ghosted now as the incident above was a while ago and how exactly slow do you have to be for auto drive to be faster than you?

As far as I know hitting pause engages auto drive and ghosts your car out. I guess switching to Chase cam and hitting pause would be the proof to find out for sure.

Well you need pause if you want to quit the race or in case of some problem that you need to stop.

Not necessarily. You can pull over to the side of the road & park it with the handbrake.

They could also update the game so that you have to pit to in order to access the pause menu to quit a race.

The replay showed that auto drive had immediately swerved onto the racing line causing a big crash.
:lol: This happened to me once. I got a bit sloppy and forced someone off track, completely my fault. I pulled to the side after the corner and paused to type an apology. The instant I paused my car swerved right into traffic taking out muliple cars including the same guy from before. Oh my gosh that crap was embarassing! Luckily it was a short-race lobby so they just had a bit of a laugh about it.

Are we 100% sure that this isn't just the game ghosting low level drivers? GTSport does do that to drivers with a low DR and/or SR to avoid crashes. As others have said, I'm not sure how you'd exploit this given how slow the auto drive goes around corners. The only useful element of 'pause ghosting' is to avoid an epic dive bomb but you'd have to be really on the ball to see it coming and time it right.

@RacingFan1 do you have a video of this? When you pause the cars hazard lights come on, whereas "auto-ghosting" doesn't. That might help clear it up.

No video. @Sven Jurgens explained it.
It has to be the pause because the ghosting only works in specific situations and I have been overtook right from behind with it, when I should have been directly hit. Ghosting doesnt work when you are right behind, only from the sides, AFAIK. They could also hit the pause and hit again immediately so the hazard lights dont even show.
Yeah, it should be pretty much divebombing and hitting pause right before contacting with the car(s) in the corner. The pause makes a very effective car stoppage plus it lets you overtake by ghosting once you are simultaneously in the same spot as the other car.

VBR
Not necessarily. You can pull over to the side of the road & park it with the handbrake.

They could also update the game so that you have to pit to in order to access the pause menu to quit a race.
That's unnecesarily complicated if you ask me. No need for that, just need to make the pausing completely uneffective to gain any advantage on track.

Latest Posts

Back