pay $50 entry for a possible $1000 Purse?

  • Thread starter Thread starter Mr.Kwik
  • 55 comments
  • 2,434 views
Messages
209
say the online thing is as good as we all hope. Would you pay a $50 entry fee to play in an online tournament that pays out a $1000.00 for winning?

Ya ya I know this is an old post and ideas have been thrown out with the trash but read the last post :)
 
I don't know about $50

Maybe pay something like $5, if you have a few thousand people playing and they weed out the losers like this...

Have the competition take place over a decent span of time with a 3 race competition (10 laps per race). The First place championship finisher goes on to the next round. Therefore, elimination 5 of 6 guys each round. If there is a tie in the points, the total times of each track are added up and the lowest total time wins.


I would rather just have you and 5 other guys pay 5 bux a piece. You all arrange to have a series of races. The championship leader at the end by rules above get's $15, second place $10, third place $5.

Crap, I should do that last thing with an I-link party :)
 
We have it down pat, laps, money ect with the i- link stuff. If one pays a larger entry fee, he usually means buisness and treats it differently as someone who borrowes five bucks off of mom to have a days worth of fun. I think there will be some online racing that pay out large sums of money for those who are serious about the game. Alot of people don't think about it but the online thing brings a whole lot more to the table than just the fun aspect and playing a game.
 
No, I wouldn't be up for that.

I would want my online racing to be for fun with people that I know and trust.
 
Originally posted by Mr.Kwik
We have it down pat, laps, money ect with the i- link stuff. If one pays a larger entry fee, he usually means buisness and treats it differently as someone who borrowes five bucks off of mom to have a days worth of fun. I think there will be some online racing that pay out large sums of money for those who are serious about the game. Alot of people don't think about it but the online thing brings a whole lot more to the table than just the fun aspect and playing a game.

Yeah but a lot more people would show up if the entry fee is cheaper.

I mean I went to LAN parties that cost $40 but they started on a Thursday and went to Sunday. They had so many tournaments there that paid about $1000 at most. My BF1942 team almost got to the finals. My friend got 2nd place in the Warcrat III tournament. There was no entry fee on the competition, which made MORE people sign up for it. I'm sure if they charged people $50 per competition, only the guys who knew they had a 100% chance of winning would have entered, which would make about 5 guys.
 
I would pay $50, is that gonna really happen though????
 
Not one penny. Things like these are scams.
 
i race with kwik all the time. and yes we race for money!
we could do this alot of different ways. im sure he's open
to suggestions.
 
Most people here are kids. I would pay fifty bucks for a chance at a thousand. Whats this crap about a scam? (DUDE did your MOMMY lose you at the mall) PEOPLE, haven't you heard of online gambling? It's been around for a while and yes it's legal! (in some places) I have raced a few I-link tourneys and have never been afraid of losing money. I don't see the big deal! Look at it from my point of veiw, If you race a real car fifty bucks isn't enough to pay for fuel let alone entry fee, damage, tires ect. This is what online gaming is about!!!! Why race for hours on end with nothing at stake??????? come on grow up
 
$ 50 is a lot of money for most people on GTplanet. No use gambling it away. Too many things can go wrong plus you can be sure there'll probably be some smart asses who will figure out how to cheat.

I'm not opposed to other people doing it but in my humble opinion this is just plain stupid. Takes the fun out of the game (except for the winners). You'd be trying to mix two different worlds.
 
Originally posted by Apclps
$ 50 is a lot of money for most people on GTplanet. No use gambling it away. Too many things can go wrong plus you can be sure there'll probably be some smart asses who will figure out how to cheat.

I'm not opposed to other people doing it but in my humble opinion this is just plain stupid. Takes the fun out of the game (except for the winners). You'd be trying to mix two different worlds.

I agree.

Also Mr.Kwik saying everyones kids just cause they don't want to gamble is stupid & childish in itself :rolleyes: Betting to race in real life is different to in a computer game, & even so there is little need. If you need money to enjoy racing then thats pretty lame in my books.

Most people play the game for fun not for money.
 
Ok, I guess some of us are more serious than others. Thats fine but remember...... when you get your first taste of racing online against others, you just might find yourself wanting to join a tournament that takes$$$$ to play. As for the cheating/hacking It won't happen.
 
I play to win but I don't play to gamble, I won't gamble over a game of GT. Compare your 50$, people are paying 50$ to win $1000, provided enough people join in the first place to make a $1000 purse. Over here you can pay £1 for a chance to win £1,000,000, not quite the same I know cos it's skill rather than luck that would win your prize but that still means 19 people will walk away with nothing, besides whats to stop you not paying me?
 
Nothing is stopping me from paying you. It's anyones race the winner is the winner. I know for a fact that there will be alot of people that will want to play for $$$$. Everyone has been saying that GT4 might give you a world ranking for winning races, well do you think that the people at the top of the list would be willing to put a few $$$ forward to prove that they are on the top of the list because they are the best? I think so. but I didn't post this post because I wanted to argue with anyone I was just hopeing to open a few peoples eyes and expand their thoughts on this subject because the days are numbered before this is true.
 
I'm not arguing, sorry if I sounded like I was, just making a point, I have no idea who you are and if I gave you $50 as far as I'm concerned I might never see it again. I'm not saying that your not trustworthy but me as a person would not be willing to hand money over like that, you need to set up som kind of guarantee that the winner will get paid so that people who don't know you will at least know they will see the money should they win.
 
Originally posted by Mr.Kwik
Ok, I guess some of us are more serious than others. Thats fine but remember...... when you get your first taste of racing online against others, you just might find yourself wanting to join a tournament that takes$$$$ to play. As for the cheating/hacking It won't happen.

Well I've played LFS & Toca Race Driver online (both on PC) aswell as Half-Life DM online for the past 3 years or so & I can honestly say I've never once ever thought about wanting to play for money :D

Cheating & Hacking happens without money involved and online competitions that involve money will no doubt increase the risk, therefore such a competition would be very difficult to administrate in a fair way. (There is no such thing as perfect security, on PS2 or not, anyone remember Sony saying the PS2 was invincible? 2 weeks later mod chips started appearing ;) )
 
Originally posted by live4speed
I'm not arguing, sorry if I sounded like I was, just making a point, I have no idea who you are and if I gave you $50 as far as I'm concerned I might never see it again. I'm not saying that your not trustworthy but me as a person would not be willing to hand money over like that, you need to set up som kind of guarantee that the winner will get paid so that people who don't know you will at least know they will see the money should they win.
I don't think you understand what i was saying about racing for money at the present time, I was just looking into the interest of racing online for cabbage. I wouldnt mind racing in some online tournaments (not put on by myself) with a reasonable entry fee and pay out.
 
Originally posted by Mr.Kwik
Most people here are kids.

That's not going to get you friends here...

PEOPLE, haven't you heard of online gambling? It's been around for a while and yes it's legal! (in some places)

Yes, I have. And yes, it is ILLEGAL in the United States to online gamble.


Look at it from my point of veiw, If you race a real car fifty bucks isn't enough to pay for fuel let alone entry fee, damage, tires ect. This is what online gaming is about!!!!

Yeah, but racing in real life gives you an ACTUAL representation of physical reality, while driving in a game is only a simulation. Sure, some guys are great at racing in GT3, but put them in real cars and they could suck.


Why race for hours on end with nothing at stake???????

Because paying nothing to race is fun, paying to race and losing sucks.


come on grow up

I still don't see you making friends here...




Sure, some people would pay some money to play in a GT tournament. However, most people don't want to pay $50 and be knocked out after a 15 minute race. You have to think, is $50 worth my cost of fun even if I get knocked out of the first round?

Second, you don't need to get on everyone's case that doesn't want to race online for money (or shall I call it "cabbage" like you do?) You are arguing with people and causing a flame war. You have found that most people here wouldn't want to do it, but I'm sure you will find someone online to be dumb enough to challenge you for money.

Why don't you run for the pink slips to your real car too while you are at it... don't forget to hit the NAWS buttons.
 
Mr. Kwik, you need to relax and be a bit more easy going. Have you even checked out any of the 9 boards competitions? Have you check out the Time listings at GT3times.com or Racing-line.org? When it comes to the fast guys on GT3 there are 4 or five aliens, 10-12 unbelievably fast guys, 20 or so fast guys, and then rest of the amateurs, then us.

It's been clearly established that when it comes to a fast lap or a fast race, we know who the race is between. Why would I even think to shell out $50 to watch someone esle race GT3?

Maybe because I can afford it, and would certianly enjoy meeting some of these guys. But if it's all through the internet, I'm just mailing my cash away to someone else.

I've not yet seen Mr. Kwik come up with a provable lap time of his own. So how are we to judge him? I've also not seen reference to his reputation anywhere on the net.

So when it comes to GT4, the on-line events will be held mainly for fun and enjoyment. The few that aren't (9 boards challenge) are going to be for the top of the line guys.

AO
 
Originally posted by Mr.Kwik
I don't think you understand what i was saying about racing for money at the present time, I was just looking into the interest of racing online for cabbage. I wouldnt mind racing in some online tournaments (not put on by myself) with a reasonable entry fee and pay out.




sorry, I didn't realize my last post was so offending????? Just had another great I-link tournament last night. Got some pics to post. I think there could have been anywhere from 50 to 75? people there. Made some very good cabbage last night.
 
E-mail them to me I'll post a few of them on my site and give you the link, so you can show them here.

I can handle plenty of bandwidth, so it's not a problem.

Thanks for the images! Better than a 1000 words.

After further thought on this, I'm calling BS. You're telling us that here in the USA, there was an iLink convention with 75 people playing GT3, and it's not publicized in any magazine, or on any of the top 9 GT3 boards. I am hard pressed to believe that you are the only person who's making any noise about this event. I know of quite a few people in the US that would travel to something like that. Even without the money, I know of people that have traveled a few hundred miles to meet other GT3 players. Considering you're 100 miles from Kansas city and 150miles from Branson, makes even more plausible that you're fabricating this.

Produce pictures or discontinue discussion of this topic. If you tell us, that the images are photo's and you've no digital imaging, I'll reimburse you for getting them scanned at a local photo store.

If you have an issue with me calling this, feel free to PM me.

AO
 
i would pay $50 if i was ODP or Mr P but considering im not i probably wont
 
Back