pay $50 entry for a possible $1000 Purse?

  • Thread starter Thread starter Mr.Kwik
  • 55 comments
  • 2,434 views
I don't think the idea of paying to play in an online tourny is absurd..........I just can't imagine spending $50 a bet. I was just in Vegas this past summer and balked at paying a $10 minimum bet at the roulet wheel, much less $50. I'm no high roller mind you. While I'm pretty fast, there is no way I could possibly beat some of the guys around here (well, I guess if the race was long enough and I was EXTREMELY lucky I might.........nah, I'd never beat some of these guys) and like Der Alta said, playing for that much money would just be throwing it in the toilet.

THen again, we really don't know who the great GT4 drivers will be yet. The fast GT3 guys won't necessarily be the fastest GT4 guys........
 

THen again, we really don't know who the great GT4 drivers will be yet. The fast GT3 guys won't necessarily be the fastest GT4 guys........


:confused: It's not sure :trouble: ;)
 
Well I'm pretty sure I won't be the fastest driver, I found the S license bronzes in GT3 hard enough. I get to easily frustrated with licenses & find em pretty dull. Still.... I can't bear to have locked races etc :D But then I'm sure most people in here have played GT3 more than I have, GT3 didn't have the spark GT1+2 had imo. GTC is what GT3 should have been, just no career mode etc :(... (Roll on GT4)

Didn't mind doing licenses in GT1+2 so much, & I can't say I can bothered with gold licenses. Except maybe B license which is pretty easy.
 
Here is the address for Major League Gaming. They put on GT3 tournaments that pay out quite a bit of cabbage. I think their entry is 50 bucks. I think their last tournament paid out a cool grand (1000). So, I guess I am not at all out of line like some said.:D

www.mlgpro.com
 
So you've found a site that's already been mentioned here on GTplanet. Yes, one that had previously announced similar tournaments.

I'm still waiting on pictures from the 50-75 player event you attended.

AO
 
Originally posted by T5-R
GTC is what GT3 should have been, just no career mode etc :(...

No Career Mode? That's like almost all the fun!(especially if you dont have PS2 online adapter...)

Lol, a 50-75 player I-link event would HAVE to be sponsored by some major magazine, but every lie has a grain of truth...He was probably playing for "cabbage" with 2 or 3 of his buddies.
 
Maybe use your credit that you win in the game and use it online.

I hope in the online part of GT4 you can race people not only for credit/money but for other peoples cars as well:D
 
I should have some pics tonight. One of my friends took a few on his digi. camera so hopefully they are good. Hmmm seems to me as someone doesent think I am telling the truth. I hope the pics clear this up because I dont really like being called a LIAR.:irked:
but I am sure after I post them the two that are saying that " no one ever has a tournament of this size" will just make up another excuse.
 
As you notice we only set up 5 cockpits the sixth PS2 is used to broadcast the race in the next room (if you look you can see the door is opened behind the # 12 car) where everyone waits, talks, eats and some drink. I didn't fade out the people in the first pic because I personally know them but in the other pics I did because I don't want to post anyones pic on the net that was not aware of it. I am sorry I don't have ticket stubs or something to show exactly how many people were there but there was alot of people.
 

Attachments

  • ttttt.jpg
    ttttt.jpg
    15.6 KB · Views: 49
last one sorry about the screw ups and not putting all pics in one post.
 

Attachments

  • tournament........jpg
    tournament........jpg
    30.9 KB · Views: 76
I'll take my crow served medium well. 5 is close enough to 75. 6 if you count the person behind the camera.

It's rare in the web to find someone who actually backs up their claims. I apologize for holding your feet to the fire.

AO
 
Originally posted by Der Alta
I'll take my crow served medium well. 5 is close enough to 75. 6 if you count the person behind the camera.

It's rare in the web to find someone who actually backs up their claims. I apologize for holding your feet to the fire.

AO

Der Alta, apology accepted:) Mabye we'll meet up at a tournament someday. Thanks for holding me to the pics I prob wouldn't of took the time to post any of them.
 
I don't think that was an apology. Why are the 5 and the 75 in italics? In what way is 5 close to 75?

It sounds, so very slightly, just a wee touch, sarcastic.
 
Why don't they use the proper seat/pedals thingy that is in an actual driving position. Not them MDF booths

sides.jpg
 
actually they are in the right position, they are very comfortable and look alot better than a tubular frame. I don't have anything against a tube frame because I have one for my practice wheel at home.
 
I think I would pay 50$ for a possible 1000$ for the following reasons:
-it will bring the best out of everyone, anybody would like to make 1G out of a game
-50$ isn't nothing, so if somebody participates he won't be messing around, it'll be a tough race.
-only good racers will participate in these types of events.

The not so good point about this idea is that if your connection goes of, or if you lag, there could be lots of problems involving a tournament like that, people might want a refund, I don't think it will work but it would be a good experiment.
 
Since i'm apart of gamespy(if you want proof contact me) i have contacted the admins at gamespy(gamespy will be hosting the gt4 servers) they are setting up tourneys with a 0 dollar entry fee and live admins to kick any cheaters, they are also gurantteeing non lag servers with gurantee notto freeze or go down during a tuorney.Soubd good? Yes prizes will be gift packs and money up to 3k for 1st place 2k for 2nd place and 1k for 3rd place in the final round.
 
Originally posted by Ryen49
Since i'm apart of gamespy(if you want proof contact me) i have contacted the admins at gamespy(gamespy will be hosting the gt4 servers) they are setting up tourneys with a 0 dollar entry fee and live admins to kick any cheaters, they are also gurantteeing non lag servers with gurantee notto freeze or go down during a tuorney.Soubd good? Yes prizes will be gift packs and money up to 3k for 1st place 2k for 2nd place and 1k for 3rd place in the final round.
Gamespy does nothing to stop cheaters in EA's F1 2002 & F1 Challenge on the PC. Someone can edit their car to give themselves more power/grip and the host is none the wiser. How are they going to spot cheaters?

And how much are we going to have to pay for this service?
 
i have no idea about that mainly cause ea handles the servers for that game even if thier provided by gamespy but on the ps2 sony has released a new login system called dnas(on most recent online games) which stops ppl from using gameshark or any cheat devices its impossible. you try to use gameshark with it it wont let you log in or get pass it. Aslo the tourney will be free to enter if gamespy goes threw with it depends on a few things..
 
i would pay $50. it would be worth it coz the level of competition for something you have an investment in is different than something that is free.

and i dont think that a single race format would be the best. there would need to be a series of races before one is kicked out.

eg spec race style;

1 calsonic skyline @ rome (a qualifying race to gauge how good you are and race you against people of similar skill.)

2 honda civic type r at grand valley short
3 toyota altezza at rome night
4 chevy corvette at laguna seca
5 subaru wrx at a rally course
6 any GT300 car at midfield
7 any GT500 car at grand valley
8 any LMP at trial mountain


then those who amass enough points could move on to more complex races against each other using different cars at different tracks in order to reward those who have truly mastered all car types at all tracks.

note the ascending horsepower. substitute any other tracks, i just used some of the ones i remember and tried to list them by increasing length and complexity.
in order for them to be spec, they would need to be unmodified cars. the really fast guys could put up more cheddar and race modified cars based on horsepower to weight ratios.


i would also suggest that anybody hosting such an event have many tiers of entry fee/ rewards, and bar those who continually clean up at lower price points to higher classifications.
 
Now that GT4 is coming out soon has anyone given this a thought? 👍
 
id race for pints, or if the stakes are raised for quad-baileys
 
Just thought I would pull the old thread up again. Obviously GT4 won't be online and most of the older PS2's that have the ilink port are crapping out so the linking up stuff is kind of slowing down now. Look at the old pics in this post, we had a blast linking up all of the time and still do but not as often. 👍 :) 👍 👍
 
Back