PC Hardware | video settings | benchmarksPC 

• Thread starter Whitestar
  • 385 comments

Whitestar

Premium
Norway
Norway
Whitestar127
Since quite a few are asking about PC hardware and how AC will run on it I thought it might be good to have a separate thread. This thread is for hardware/video-settings questions first and foremost in relation to Assetto Corsa (but general hw/graphics stuff is of course welcome as well), and I was hoping to make it into a benchmark thread also, for comparison purposes. So that others can see how AC runs on your hardware. That should be very helpful.

Let's start by checking if YOU can run Assetto Corsa:
http://www.assettocorsa.net/hw-sw-requirements/

and, if you are still in doubt:
http://www.game-debate.com/games/index.php?g_id=7757&canMyCpuRunIt=Assetto Corsa
http://www.systemrequirementslab.com/cyri (use the dropdown list or type "asse" and it should come up, then follow instructions)

EDIT: Regarding benchmarks: I was thinking the best would be to have someone record some laps on a specific track(s) with different number of cars in the grid. Then upload those replays for others to download and run as a benchmark in the game. That way everyone would be testing on the same benchmark runs. Any thoughts?

Last edited:
Hi guys after a bit of advice...

My PS3 has died (YLOD) :(, after a week without it, I got my PS2 out and put GT3 on, to my shock I realised how much more of a challenge GT3 is to GT6 (no golding licences on my first go, better AI), seeing how much PD has gone backwards has left a bit of a bad taste, and now I've decided not to bother replacing the PS3 and switching to Assetto Corsa and purchasing a PC instead..
Now, I know nothing of PC's and I don't really have a lot of cash, I have seen these systems (Link), and am wondering if Assetto would work reasonable on it, or at least till I could afford a better graphics card.

I've checked the minimum and preferred specs for AC, but to be honest I just can't figure it out...

Thanks in advance :gtpflag:...

If it happens to run it will with every graphics settings on low. I don't recommend you buying a PC like that. It doesn't even have a dedicated graphics card. The problems with this low cost PCs is that IMO it's not worth upgrading them later with a graphics card, the CPU is not very future proof and if you want to change it you have to also change the motherboard, and i have no confidence at all in the PSU they used in that PC, you would have to upgrade that too.

What you could do is buy a PC with a Intel i5 CPU a good PSU and no graphics card, use the onboard video until you can afford a good graphics card. This way you have a PC with a good CPU for gaming, and a PSU that will allow you to use any graphics card.

I am running Assetto Corsa on a 2012 RoG Asus G74sx Laptop.

-i7 something or other
-GTX 560m 3gb
-8gb RAM

I get a constant 40fps on Medium settings. Still looks great and more than playable.

@eclipsee

Might be worth waiting for new Maxwell based Nvidia cards which might be releasing end of next month and in October, they will likely be amazingly power efficient and also have a big GPU compute advantage compared to Kepler Nvidia cards like the GTX 760: Link

Thanks for the link 👍

I think I'll wait two months to see what happens, I see in that article that the GTX960 will cost the same as a GTX760 costs right now, thing that I don't understand :odd: , at least the GTX760 will drop its price.

Thanks for the link 👍

I think I'll wait two months to see what happens, I see in that article that the GTX960 will cost the same as a GTX760 costs right now, thing that I don't understand :odd: , at least the GTX760 will drop its price.
Well they have to keep prices competitive with current products out there, Maxwell GPUs might cost them a lot less money to make due to improved efficiency so bigger profits for them, older products will likely get discounted and discontinued. Might not be a big performance improvement in current games but as it will likely take a lot less electricty so should run cooler and quieter as well as having a massive GPU compute advantage. I'm personally waiting for 20nm GPUs next year before upgrading but I already have a GTX 670.

If it happens to run it will with every graphics settings on low. I don't recommend you buying a PC like that. It doesn't even have a dedicated graphics card. The problems with this low cost PCs is that IMO it's not worth upgrading them later with a graphics card, the CPU is not very future proof and if you want to change it you have to also change the motherboard, and i have no confidence at all in the PSU they used in that PC, you would have to upgrade that too.

What you could do is buy a PC with a Intel i5 CPU a good PSU and no graphics card, use the onboard video until you can afford a good graphics card. This way you have a PC with a good CPU for gaming, and a PSU that will allow you to use any graphics card.

Thanks, that's why I had to ask, it did seem too cheap and the figures seemed odd, I'll save my cash and go Intel.. :).

Well they have to keep prices competitive with current products out there, Maxwell GPUs might cost them a lot less money to make due to improved efficiency so bigger profits for them, older products will likely get discounted and discontinued. Might not be a big performance improvement in current games but as it will likely take a lot less electricty so should run cooler and quieter as well as having a massive GPU compute advantage. I'm personally waiting for 20nm GPUs next year before upgrading but I already have a GTX 670.
I have a GTX 670 FTW. What settings would you recommend. I've booted up AC once or twice but never had much time to spend in it.

Thanks, that's why I had to ask, it did seem too cheap and the figures seemed odd, I'll save my cash and go Intel.. :).
Problem is it does not come with operating system which can be quite a big additional cost.

Getting something like this: Link or this : Link and then adding a GTX 750 Ti might be a good route. Also another way is bidding on already built systems on eBay, might be used but you be able to get a very good gaming PC for about £200 to £300.
I have a GTX 670 FTW. What settings would you recommend. I've booted up AC once or twice but never had much time to spend in it.
I don't know really as like you I have booted up AC once or twice but I guess it should run well on maximum settings ;). I really should start playing this as I only did a few laps when the game first came out and haven't played since.

Last edited:
Ya I really want to spend some time playing it. I have too many games on too many platforms.:lol: And a white PS4 destiny bundle to add in 2 weeks as well.

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/ybxhvK

I've thrown together some specs as I'm teetering on the edge of building my own PC now. Any feedback would be much appreciated, I don't want to have to do this again for a couple of years!! Nothing earth shattering there but a couple of notes.

-I left out an HDD because I have a 3TB external hard drive that I use for data storage and I don't download much to my primary hard drive. After 3 years I'm only using 100GB on my current HDD.
-The CPU and Video cards I chose from reading on the PCars and AC forums what guys are using at the moment to run the games on fairly high settings.
-The case I chose because I want to fit this into a custom cabinet I already built. The cabinet is 20"H/20"D/14" wide and it's completely open at the rear for ventilation and I open the front door when doing any serious gaming. I have an HP system now with an A10 AMD5800k CPU which is supposed to run hot but I have no issues with heat.
-The sound card I chose because it has a digital audio out. My sound system is about 10 years old but it's a good quality Denon receiver and I'd like to keep it and it only has digital audio inputs for dolby digital sound. I can go HDMI to the tv so I want to be able to switch between sound to the tv and sound to the Surround system gaming and watching movies. 5.1 is all I want or need.
-the power supply was a little large but it was a combo in this case so the price was good
-most of the Ram I chose had a compatibility issue with the CPU, running an extra .1-.15 volts.
-I'd like Windows 7 not Windows 8

I've looked up a couple of local custom builders and I'm going to see what they'll charge me to put it together as I know next to nothing about building a PC. If everything goes perfectly I can snap parts together as good as the next guy, but once something goes wrong I'm toast:boggled:

Looks like a nice build @Johnnypenso

It's very close to the same hardware I recently used to build mine.

If I were to make one suggestion... save a few more bucks and go for a GTX 770 over the 760. If you're wanting it to last for years, I think the additional $75 or so would be worth it. The 900 series cards are rumored to be released very soon, so perhaps the 770 will drop in price soon too. Food for thought.

Wiz
Looks like a nice build @Johnnypenso

It's very close to the same hardware I recently used to build mine.

If I were to make one suggestion... save a few more bucks and go for a GTX 770 over the 760. If you're wanting it to last for years, I think the additional $75 or so would be worth it. The 900 series cards are rumored to be released very soon, so perhaps the 770 will drop in price soon too. Food for thought.

I just noticed this post:
@eclipsee

Might be worth waiting for new Maxwell based Nvidia cards which might be releasing end of next month and in October, they will likely be amazingly power efficient and also have a big GPU compute advantage compared to Kepler Nvidia cards like the GTX 760: Link
If I can get 30% more performance for another $75 and it runs cooler i'd go for that, or maybe the older cards will drop in price. Seems like it will be something worth waiting for and I'm not in a hurry.

Yeah I'm planning on waiting myself. In my build I threw my old GTX660 in it, which is getting by ok until the new cards come out.

I've read a few articles recently and the 970 is rumored to be hitting the shelves at around $400-$500. I also read there will be a 960, to be released a bit later than the 970 & 980. I don't know if I want to spend $400+ on a card, so I may wait for the 960, hoping it will be in the $300 range.

The sound card I chose because it has a digital audio out. My sound system is about 10 years old but it's a good quality Denon receiver and I'd like to keep it and it only has digital audio inputs for dolby digital sound. I can go HDMI to the tv so I want to be able to switch between sound to the tv and sound to the Surround system gaming and watching movies. 5.1 is all I want or need.
Unless I'm completely missing something, you can skip the sound card because the motherboard has SPDIF output that will go to your Denon. I'd then use the ~$60 from that and apply it to a
Wiz
:D

The only other thing I might suggest is switching out the SSD to a Samsung. Other than that, it looks incredibly similar to my build and so far it's been fantastic. 👍

@Johnnypenso I agree with Wiz, the 770 is a better choice in the long run with 2gb, however if you can afford around $50 more on top of what Wiz suggested then you could get the GTX770 4gb version which can hold more video memory for better fps. Just an option if you have the spare cash but the 2gb version is more than enough to last you afew years at least.

@Johnnypenso Nice build. I would change to a Samsung SSD as well. Furthermore I personally had bad experiences with MSI hardware so I would look for ASUS motherboards.
And, one last note: your case fan selection is wrong, 'cause for this Corsair tower, you'll need 120mm ones or even 140mm in top of the case.
Oh, one very last note: you won't need a 750W PSU for that system. Look for 550-600W instead and no noname brand. Enermax would be a good choice for performancance and stability PSU wise.

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/ybxhvK

I've thrown together some specs as I'm teetering on the edge of building my own PC now. Any feedback would be much appreciated, I don't want to have to do this again for a couple of years!! Nothing earth shattering there but a couple of notes.

-I left out an HDD because I have a 3TB external hard drive that I use for data storage and I don't download much to my primary hard drive. After 3 years I'm only using 100GB on my current HDD.
-The CPU and Video cards I chose from reading on the PCars and AC forums what guys are using at the moment to run the games on fairly high settings.
-The case I chose because I want to fit this into a custom cabinet I already built. The cabinet is 20"H/20"D/14" wide and it's completely open at the rear for ventilation and I open the front door when doing any serious gaming. I have an HP system now with an A10 AMD5800k CPU which is supposed to run hot but I have no issues with heat.
-The sound card I chose because it has a digital audio out. My sound system is about 10 years old but it's a good quality Denon receiver and I'd like to keep it and it only has digital audio inputs for dolby digital sound. I can go HDMI to the tv so I want to be able to switch between sound to the tv and sound to the Surround system gaming and watching movies. 5.1 is all I want or need.
-the power supply was a little large but it was a combo in this case so the price was good
-most of the Ram I chose had a compatibility issue with the CPU, running an extra .1-.15 volts.
-I'd like Windows 7 not Windows 8

I've looked up a couple of local custom builders and I'm going to see what they'll charge me to put it together as I know next to nothing about building a PC. If everything goes perfectly I can snap parts together as good as the next guy, but once something goes wrong I'm toast:boggled:

1) are you going to overclock the CPU?, if not choose the i5-4690 (non K) you save $20, drop the 212 (i5 non OC, the stock heatsink is enough) you save another $25

2) the sound card is a POS and it's redundant, the motherboard already has opt out. Only buy a sound card if it's a high end one if not is not worth it. You save $59

3) unless you are going to SLI/Crossfire or buying super extravagant high end cards you don't need a 750W PSU, a 600W Corsair PSU is more than enough. you save like $40

With all the money saved i would drop the GTX760 and buy something like this http://pcpartpicker.com/part/msi-video-card-n770tf4gd5oc

BUT!

Some advises: you could follow 2 paths IMO: go for the GTX760 now and upgrade in a few years, you will expend more in the long term, but you will end up with a much faster GPU than the best GPU available today. Or if you want a PC that last a few years, 2GB of Vram for the GPU is not going to cut it, go for at least 3GB GPUs. Buy something like this http://pcpartpicker.com/part/msi-video-card-n770tf4gd5oc

BUT! BUT!!! Wait till Nvidia next gen GPUs are released, i highly recommend waiting.

So how much will take to get a future proof PC that's good for at least say.. 6-8 years? Is that even possible?

Assuming I want to run EVERY game at max resolution, filtering/FSAA, and detail levels.

So how much will take to get a future proof PC that's good for at least say.. 6-8 years? Is that even possible?

Assuming I want to run EVERY game at max resolution, filtering/FSAA, and detail levels.

Not possible, who knows what new tech will be available in 7 or 8 years!

yep not possible because there is always technological advances every year on hardware, and game developers are always pushing graphic boundaries with every new hardware installment.

But that is why PC games have graphic setting's so that we can get the best posiible fps.

Nahh, if I'm going to own a PC, then I want one that can run everything on full for at least 6 years or more. Not possible, I know..bummer.

This is why I just stick to consoles. They fulfill the purpose nicely.

Problem with the debate about consoles being able to last longer without needing upgrades, is that while games will continue to be made for the consoles, they won't be advancing as far as PC games which will be made to make use of the latest technical developments in newer graphics and CPU chips.

While it isn't a big deal for some, for others they like to see those benefits.

An older gaming PC (within reason) will still play the latest games, just with graphics settings that aren't ramped up as if it was a modern PC. Arguably, at a quality similar to games on consoles of the same era of the PC as they haven't been able to advance past that original level.

At the end of the day, it doesn't matter as long as you enjoy what you have. I still enjoy PS3 games, I've only just invested in a good gaming PC purely for racing on - there is no denying that thanks to the availability of more peripherals, titles and expandability that the PC is the platform of choice for Sim Racing - but that doesn't mean I won't enjoy the PS3 any more, even if it is dated.

I have no interest in a current gen console though, simply because I don't have time for regular gaming any more.

I have a little question. Iam running a Sapphire R9 280x Toxic GPU and an Intel i7 4790k CPU.
Iam playing every game on Ultra without any problems.
I never checked my FPS in Assetto Corsa and this morning i thought its time to do that.
I opened Fraps and drove 2 Laps in Practice Mode on Imola with the Formula Abarth.

The fps were between 100-115 which is perfectly fine for me (most of the time i play games on 60 or 90 fps so that my GPU doesnt have to run on 100%) but its quite low if i compaire it with other games in relation with the graphics.
For me personally the graphics of AC are just OK nothing special, i thought i would get an easy 150+ fps.

The curious thing is that i dont even hear my GPU. Normally if i switch V-Sync Off my GPU goes to 100% because it wants to push the highest fps's and it gets quite loud, but in case of Assetto Corsa i dont hear it and it doesnt "look" like it would run on 100%.

Is the fps limited to 100-120 in AC?

For example: iam playing BF3/4 or Dead Island (of course everything on ULTRA) with FPS above 100.

Back