PC2 graphics complaints and improvement suggestions on PS4

• Thread starter digant
  • 22 comments
Italy
Italy
From my point of view PC2 is lacking (even compared to PC1) on:
1) grass details all around the track
2) replay at fixed 30fps even when the camera is not in TV mode

Regarding grass details, it's clealy visible on some tracks such as Nordschelife. In PC2 the grass is present only close to the tarmac. There is no grass at all on the hills close to the road. Grass on AC is far better and similar to real track. I hope SMS is aware of this and will improve the tracks in a next patch. It makes no sense for me to see dense grass close to tarmac only and nothing in the rest of the track. This is the approch that SMS made in almost the tracks in this PC2. I preferred by far the grass in PC1 covering better the whole track. The grass implemented in AC is far better in my opinion. It's more visible, less dense (so less power demanding) and more variegated than in PC2 (see Nordscleife for example).

About replay, I think the 30fps ruins a lot the beauty a replay is thought for. At least on the TV view a blur must be used to provide a more smoothed animation. The other view must be provided at 60fps (as they are in game).

EDIT:

I also forgot to mention that even after patch 2.0 I cannot save more than 10-12 replays. I will get the error message that 1GB space was reached. I hope it is a bug already known and it will be fixed asap. In PC1 I was able to save more than 70-80 replays.

Furthermore, the menu to handle the replay is absolutely unusable. To switch from one view to another you have open the menu, move to the desired view, press X and then close the menu to see the replay. The replay must be controlled entirely using the pad keys as in PC1. I don't understand at all the choice made in PC2 (it's a mess).

Last edited:
Really? The way the grass looks does not affect the way the game plays if you have time to look at the grass your not going fast enough. I do agree with the replays although how can you be sure that the other views in the game are actually 60fps?

My main issue is the aliasing, which is going to be improved in the "next-ish patch," though by how much is unknown. Even then, because of the game's dynamic resolution, it is unlikely that we'll get the same level of clarity seen in PC1.

I hope we also see some improvements with snow accumulation on your car. The texture used is small, and the tiling is very noticeable at times.

Really? The way the grass looks does not affect the way the game plays if you have time to look at the grass your not going fast enough. I do agree with the replays although how can you be sure that the other views in the game are actually 60fps?

Hmm, you can capture some details even when you're driving for an hot lap. However my concerns are merely on the implementation SMS has made. Too much grass (that is not so much visually captured and it is also power consuming) close to the tarmac and nothing more in the rest of the environment. Probably they could reach a better visual effect reducing a lot the grass close the tarmac and applying it to all the environment.

About the replay, it is very easy to see the difference between 60fps (as with the in game camera) and 30fps. In the replay, for example if you switch to cookpit view you will easily see that it is not as the in game view.

I also forgot to mention that even after patch 2.0 I cannot save more than 10-12 replays. I will get the error message that 1GB space was reached. I hope it is a bug already known and it will be fixed asap. In PC1 I was able to save more than 70-80 replays.

Furthermore, the menu to handle the replay is absolutely unusable. To switch from one view to another you have open the menu, move to the desired view, press X and then close the menu to see the replay. The replay must be controlled entirely using the pad keys as in PC1. I don't understand at all the choice made in PC2 (it's a mess).

Eks
My main issue is the aliasing, which is going to be improved in the "next-ish patch," though by how much is unknown. Even then, because of the game's dynamic resolution, it is unlikely that we'll get the same level of clarity seen in PC1.

I hope we also see some improvements with snow accumulation on your car. The texture used is small, and the tiling is very noticeable at times.

Yes, you are right. Although I have a PS4 PRO (with a better AA than a standard PS4) there are more jaggies compared to PC1. It is even worse in the replay from TV view. I hope SMS will improve it in the future.

Furthermore, the menu to handle the replay is absolutely unusable. To switch from one view to another you have open the menu, move to the desired view, press X and then close the menu to see the replay. The replay must be controlled entirely using the pad keys as in PC1. I don't understand at all the choice made in PC2 (it's a mess)

Yeah it is crap how you have to use the same buttons for navigating the menu. Trying to remember where you are within the menu system without having to bring it up and spoil the replay you are trying to capture is a joke.

I agree with the replay menus, especially navigating them with with a wheel. It's not intuitive at all and more than a chore to use. I'd go so far as to say all the menus in the game were designed for mouse use and not controller, and so aren't as easy to use as they should be on a console.

As for the grass, I think it looks a lot better in pCARS2. In the first game it was very flat, even right next to the track. It looks more detailed to me now.

Other issues I have are the Ferris wheel pop up at Sakitto, the yellow TV camera crane pop up down the straight at Fuji, the big piece of fence pop up just by the kink on the straight at the back of Nurb GP..

Also the strange slowdown/speed up issue at Sugo has not been fixed and actually is there at even more corners now, and the anti aliasing across the whole game needs improving. IMO.

Minor niggles mostly, although the Sugo one needs fixing ASAP, I'm sure there are more issues to be found, but I'm very much enjoying the game regardless.

As for the grass, I think it looks a lot better in pCARS2. In the first game it was very flat, even right next to the track. It looks more detailed to me now.

Currently, it's always the same in all tracks and is like an english meadow (it seems like just cut). It's so much dense and short that you cannot even see (although it's there and so it takes a lot of resources). Grass was more visible in PC1, better distributed around the environment and less power demanding (overall it was far less dense than in PC2 but more visible). I hope SMS didn't have time to provide a better grass for the release date and the will improve it with further patches (at least in some tracks were grass is all around the real environment such as Nordschleife).

The 4 big issues i have on PS4 Pro are 1: The awful/agressive LOD/Pop in changes in the AI cars it's like they are transforming. 2: The awful AA applied jaggies are everywhere. 3: The AF or lack of AF means very little textures on the road and causes headaches when trying to look out for puddles as they appear out of nowhere. 4: It looks far worse than PCars 1 on the og PS4! I cannot fathom how that can be possible on a console with twice the GPU power and 2 years more dev time on it.

Currently, it's always the same in all tracks and is like an english meadow (it seems like just cut). It's so much dense and short that you cannot even see (although it's there and so it takes a lot of resources). Grass was more visible in PC1, better distributed around the environment and less power demanding (overall it was far less dense than in PC2 but more visible). I hope SMS didn't have time to provide a better grass for the release date and the will improve it with further patches (at least in some tracks were grass is all around the real environment such as Nordschleife).
While I agree with you on the replay issues, I don't in terms of the grass and also think you may have the power demands the wrong way around as well.

From a distance the grass in PC2 is unlikely to be individual blades being modeled, but a much lower LOD single texture (which is why it looks so uniform), only getting more detailed when you are close or in photomode.

Personally I would not want an improvement of the grass if it hits Live Track 3.0, the physics or any other non-visual side of the title.

While I agree with you on the replay issues, I don't in terms of the grass and also think you may have the power demands the wrong way around as well.

From a distance the grass in PC2 is unlikely to be individual blades being modeled, but a much lower LOD single texture (which is why it looks so uniform), only getting more detailed when you are close or in photomode.

Personally I would not want an improvement of the grass if it hits Live Track 3.0, the physics or any other non-visual side of the title.

Sure any improvement must not affect other features of the title.
In fact I was referring to implement grass as Kudos made on their Nordschleife track. Overall it is less dense than in PC2 and it's far more better (there are different kind of grass and flowers) and visible than in PC2. The replay on AC is far more appealing (with the exception of the 2D trees).
As we all have seen from PC1, the replay (but also the in game) in PC2 is missing a lot of details at distance. GTS and even AC provide far better replays (details are present also at distance).

Sure any improvement must not affect other features of the title.
In fact I was referring to implement grass as Kudos made on their Nordschleife track. Overall it is less dense than in PC2 and it's far more better (there are different kind of grass and flowers) and visible than in PC2. The replay on AC is far more appealing (with the exception of the 2D trees).
As we all have seen from PC1, the replay (but also the in game) in PC2 is missing a lot of details at distance. GTS and even AC provide far better replays (details are present also at distance).
Its not really surprising that they are able to do it in AC, as they don't have either a dynamic full time of day or weather. As such they have capacity to do it, however AC suffers visually in other ways, such as the 2D spectators.

Its not really surprising that they are able to do it in AC, as they don't have either a dynamic full time of day or weather. As such they have capacity to do it, however AC suffers visually in other ways, such as the 2D spectators.

yes I perfectly know (and see) all the other limitations on AC and the impacts they could have to boost performance (improving other details such as grass).
Only developers know if the old assets of PC1 such as grass could have better impacts on performance. For what I see on my PS4 PRO the grass is far more present in PC2 but wrongly distributed in the environment. My feeling is that adopting the trees from PC1 could have even better impacts on performance and (for me) they will appear better than the actual I see in PC2.

There is a game being released this week, the GTS, which is said to have the best graphics among all games in its category. Well, actually the graphics in PHOTO mode and REPLAY are impressive, since the images produced in the gameplay, I noticed the graphics a little grainy, not bad but I prefer the gameplay graphics in PCARS2.

edit;if anyone is interested, here is the link to check some videos
https://www.gtplanet.net/first-look-rain-fog-gran-turismo-sport/

There is a game being released this week, the GTS, which is said to have the best graphics among all games in its category. Well, actually the graphics in PHOTO mode and REPLAY are impressive, since the images produced in the gameplay, I noticed the graphics a little grainy, not bad but I prefer the gameplay graphics in PCARS2.

edit;if anyone is interested, here is the link to check some videos
https://www.gtplanet.net/first-look-rain-fog-gran-turismo-sport/

I played the GTS closed beta for 4 months and the last GTS demo. GTS is better only for replay, photo/scape mode and livery editor. And you should consider that I'm (or was) a GT fan since GT5 on PS3.

This game looks so bad on the standard xbox one, that I've decided to wait till I get the one X to start playing it again. It's a jagged mess on xbox one.

This game looks so bad on the standard xbox one, that I've decided to wait till I get the one X to start playing it again. It's a jagged mess on xbox one.
I wouldnt bank on it looking good on the X as it looks no different from the PS4 to the Pro.

There seems to be a anti-aliasing issue with the graphics. The pit crew have like a thin white outline around them and things like hold like the wheel guns. They look like cardboard cutouts. Had a go in the Lotus 25 recently and from the cockpit view the windshield is very blocky.

I turned off the post processing filters in the VFX settings menu and the game looks ever so slightly better, in my opinion.

Base PS4, 1080p, SDR.

Back