PC2 impressions after 1 month

• Thread starter gigio79
  • 37 comments
I guess some of you people (especially the early replies in this thread) misunderstood the OP, and part of that is his lack of replies, when he said PC.
He meant Project cars 1 and then referred to its successor as PC2. He didn't mean a PC as personal computer.
So all this talk and comparisons between PC and PS4/console is probably irrelevant in this thread.
Just trying to help to get the conversation on the right track.

I also have tons of difficulty with the game, but I'm not too proud to recognize that I'm just not a good driver. I dove in head-first with authentic assists because I wanted the most authentic feel I could possibly get, but it was a hard lesson to learn. The game isn't broken, I'm just not talented enough to handle a lot of these cars. And that's how it should be in most cases.

What this game has become for me is a hotlap simulator. I have to put in at least an hour of practice with each car before I get a decent feel of how I should be driving it. I've probably set 100s of laps in the 935/80 because that's one of my all-time favorite race cars, and I want to be able to drive it.

But I think there will be a point in the near future when I just have to admit that my inability is keeping me from having as much fun as I could have, and so I will probably have to turn on the assists to get myself more comfortable.

I completely agree with that.
I'm also just too mediocre and probably not talented.
I keep trying though and enjoy the fun, competition and racing itself; but don't enjoy being passed all the time and rarely passing. But well... I get what I deserve.

Since the release of pcars1, I have played approximately 650 hours.
Since launching pcars2, I have only played 60 hours, what is happening to me?

Maybe you've had more time to play the original since it was released a couple of years earlier? ;p

Mine are:

Pros:

- The driving. It's still second to none in my opinion. When everything clicks, the game is just amazing to play.
- The track selection is insane. I've never thought Long Beach would be so cool in a racing game.
- The GUI. pCARS 1 was a mess. This time around it seems that an actual human being designed a comprehensive and beautiful interface.
- The controls are far better than the first one also.
- I'm yet to see the game crashing. pCARS 1 crashed on me all the time.

Cons:

- The career mode is butchered, in my opinion. The sense of progress due to contract offerings is lost and the route for open wheel racers isn't balanced as it was in the last one: I miss the old Formula C, the Formula B and Formula A as a F1 replacement. The FX shoudn't be there.
- I miss some special events as invitationals. I'd love to do a GT3 championship and still be able to race Le Mans in the same season, as it was possible in the original pCARS.
- Career mode is heavily scripted, which is a HUGE let down. So I don't see any reason to go back and replay my favorite series because I know exactly the scenarios I'll be facing.
- Oddball design choices. I'm a endurance fan and Le Mans implementation in the career is laughable. The race has a small field of 22 cars (40 in the last game), starts at dawn (should be at afternoon) and the timing isn't scalling correctly if you choose to do a shorter version. In the minimum 2h13min race, you wont end it at dawn, but at the middle of night. It's insane because in the custom event menu you can create a very accurate 24 hours, even a small representation of it since you can choose the speed of time progression.
- The game screams for a championship editor that I sense won't ever happen.

Mine are:

Pros:

- The driving. It's still second to none in my opinion. When everything clicks, the game is just amazing to play.

Cons:

About the Pro above, can I suppose you've never driven Assetto Corsa (If you're on a console) or Assetto Corsa, RFactor2 and other games if you're on PC?
On console, the PC2 is second to AC in terms of driving itself. It may and probably does beat it in most other things but not this one.

About the cons, it seems all your cons revolve around the career and I respect that. I, for myself, have driven like 5 races in the career (ginetta) and stopped playing the career.
But nonetheless I find that ironic. Didn't you notice the bugs? Or that doesn't qualify into your Cons category?!

I wish if you play some online and discover the big amount of bugs, from pitstops, to server lag, to screwing your pitstop strategy, to screwing the setup or the tires pressures, to graphical bugs, to very low in-game volume and very high chat volume (uncontrollable), to etc... You can read lots of those in this forum, here's an example:
https://www.gtplanet.net/forum/threads/project-cars-2-bug-report-q-a.359113/page-37

To be clear, I'm not bashing the game, I like it and I play it, and I'm not bashing your opinion, that's a personal matter that I respect; but I'm trying to discuss some matters for the benefit of both of us and everyone!

Cheers!

Last edited:
About the Pro above, can I suppose you've never driven Assetto Corsa (If you're on a console) or Assetto Corsa, RFactor2 and other games if you're on PC?
On console, the PC2 is second to AC in terms of driving itself. It may and probably does beat it in most other things but not this one.

Really don't care about AC. Really. Career and single player are very important to me and, as I understand it, it isn't a focus on that game. I played some a while back when I had a PC and didn't felt right so, nah.

About the cons, it seems all your cons revolve around the career and I respect that. I, for myself, have driven like 5 races in the career (ginetta) and stopped playing the career.
But nonetheless I find that ironic. Didn't you notice the bugs? Or that doesn't qualify into your Cons category?!

Of course I did, but they are so minor when you compare them to the cluster**** that was pCARS on its first months that I'm simply ok with them. And seeing how poorly SMS worked on fix those things, I'm not holding my breath hoping for FPS drops or pitstop strategies not working and so on (to name a few that happenend to me already) will get sorted before I simply move on to play other things.

You don't play the career, so you didn't experienced the most annoying. There is a bug that randomly finishes the championship you are in. In the other day, I got Formula C world champion title by just completing the first round. When I booted the game again, it greeted me with trophy accolades and whatnot. Funny that something like this slips through a massive comunity.

I wish if you play some online and discover the big amount of bugs, from pitstops, to server lag, to screwing your pitstop strategy, to screwing the setup or the tires pressures, to graphical bugs, to very low in-game volume and very high chat volume (uncontrollable), to etc... You can read lots of those in this forum, here's an example:
https://www.gtplanet.net/forum/threads/project-cars-2-bug-report-q-a.359113/page-37

To be clear, I'm not bashing the game, I like it and I play it, and I'm not bashing your opinion, that's a personal matter that I respect; but I'm trying to discuss some matters for the benefit of both of us and everyone!

Cheers!

I really can't be bothered to engage in multiplayer racing games, so It's possible that I'd never know about those.

I really expected that pCARS 2 woudn't be as buggy as it is and, for me, it is ok for now. You'd thought that they would learn something from the launch of the previous game, but nope.

Last edited:
Really don't care about AC. Really. Career and single player are very important to me and, as I understand it, it isn't a focus on that game. I played some a while back when I had a PC and didn't felt right so, nah.

Of course I did, but they are so minor when you compare them to the cluster**** that was pCARS on its first months that I'm simply ok with them. And seeing how poorly SMS worked on fix those things, I'm not holding my breath hoping for FPS drops or pitstop strategies not working and so on (to name a few that happenend to me already) will get sorted before I simply move on to play other things.

You don't play the career, so you didn't experienced the most annoying. There is a bug that randomly finishes the championship you are in. In the other day, I got Formula C world champion title by just completing the first round. When I booted the game again, it greeted me with trophy accolades and whatnot. Funny that something like this slips through a massive comunity.

I really can't be bothered to engage in multiplayer racing games, so It's possible that I'd never know about those.

I really expected that pCARS 2 woudn't be as buggy as it is and, for me, it is ok for now. You'd thought that they would learn something from the launch of the previous game, but nope.

Well, it's honestly better than the random crash to desktop in Forza 7 after races and the keyboard buttons interrupting my T300 for 1-2 seconds! A majority of games are just buggy these days until a few patches are released and I have noticed some issues in Assassin's Creed Origins, too!

Back