PCars 2 running on Xbox One X

• Thread starter Harry Freq
  • 76 comments
XOX is of course a little more powerful than Pro but the Devs have also done a much better job of improving the engine for XOX. Seems they have done almost nothing when it comes to PS4 Pro by comparison. Pro is simply not being utilised as it should with the PS4 PC2 engine. For example - the awful LOD changes (absent on XOX from what I've seen on Youtube) show how little effort has been made with the Pro.
There are improvements coming for the Pro but don’t expect it to look anywhere near as good as on X. SMS has already stated quite some time ago that PCars2 will look significantly better on X than on Pro. I have to admit that I’m quite envious as a Pro owner after reading about how great it looks on X, and I watched a YouTube video of it on X that looked absolutely fantastic. SMS have done a superb job of optimising this game on Microsoft’s new machine.

There are improvements coming for the Pro but don’t expect it to look anywhere near as good as on X. SMS has already stated quite some time ago that PCars2 will look significantly better on X than on Pro. I have to admit that I’m quite envious as a Pro owner after reading about how great it looks on X, and I watched a YouTube video of it on X that looked absolutely fantastic. SMS have done a superb job of optimising this game on Microsoft’s new machine.

The Pro can be much more than actual Pcars 2 for now. And with a good optimisation Pro can approach the level off the X. Off course not get even .

Having both the Pro & X, I’m blown away by how much better it looks & runs on the X,
the Pro version I though looked great, but after running on the X hard to go back.

Having both the Pro & X, I’m blown away by how much better it looks & runs on the X,
the Pro version I though looked great, but after running on the X hard to go back.
I'm looking forward to the graphics patch that is on its way to the Pro. I don't expect it to look as good as X after the patch but would be really happy if it can at least get to the graphics quality of PCars1.

I'm looking forward to the graphics patch that is on its way to the Pro. I don't expect it to look as good as X after the patch but would be really happy if it can at least get to the graphics quality of PCars1.

I think this is a bit like thinking your seeing fine, go to your optometrist, gives you a new prescription, stepping outside and seeing all the small things you didn’t know you where missing.

There is no reason it should look significantly better unless SMS have simply decided to be sloppy with Pro optimisations. It should look a bit better. It should look better in the kinds of ways you don't really notice much once you sit back down and start driving. What Pro should not have is awful stuff like the horrible LOD changes - SMS have clearly made a change to the engine on XoX to ensure that no longer happens.

Well, let's see what they come up with. Fingers crossed!

Surprising results. I remember some people claimed that the game would offer much more on the X compared to the pro. According to DF this is not the case. Both versions a pretty much identical, which is surprising. I'm happy with 1440p, but compared to native 4K in Forza 7, well...

Surprising results. I remember some people claimed that the game would offer much more on the X compared to the pro. According to DF this is not the case. Both versions a pretty much identical, which is surprising. I'm happy with 1440p, but compared to native 4K in Forza 7, well...
If you downloaded the Gamersyde direct X vids and then played the Pro version the difference was massive especially regarding the LOD pop/transforming. Demo on the Pro shows things are closer...

DF on the video today
UPDATE 26/11/17 7:22pm: Project Cars 2 will be updated on Xbox One X with new features including enhanced resolution, enhanced visuals or enhanced performance. These features are actually available in the recently released playable demo, but aren't in the main game yet, which is why we missed it. This puts a new complexion on the title and we will update as soon as we can with a fresh analysis.

So once the update lands on Pro we can expect some very good graphics, close to X??? If that's the case then I'll be extremely pleased and impressed. I'm at work so can't watch the video.

According to DF, the X still remains at 1440p - max. 1600p, even after the demo patch. I dont know, i expected much more. The hardware should be capable.

According to DF, the X still remains at 1440p - max. 1600p, even after the demo patch. I dont know, i expected much more. The hardware should be capable.

Where's this stated at? Last video on youtube is still pre patch.

UPDATE 27/11/17 4:15pm: We've spent the day checking out the Project Cars 2 demo, which features three separate and distinct presentation modes for users with PlayStation 4 Pro and Xbox One X hardware. These modes are currently unavailable in the full game, which we cover in the main piece below, but we can reasonably expect the full patch to arrive in short order. Three separate modes are on offer - with an emphasis on resolution, visual quality or frame-rate - so while testing is only preliminary based on demo content alone, we wanted to put it to the test to get a flavour of what we can expect before the main game is updated.

There's only limited material available in the demo and users can't control car count or weather conditions, so we can't say that this is the definitive word on what the full game offers, but we can offer a broad outline of what each mode delivers. First up, resolution - this targets the highest pixel counts possible out of the three modes, and our measurements from the demo serve up a dynamic resolution window of 1152p to 1440p on PlayStation 4 Pro, rising to 1440p to 1620p on Xbox One X. Certainly on Xbox One X, this is similar to the current build users have available.

Next up, there's the enhanced visuals option, which ups the detail level considerably, and brings many of the trackside detail options up to par between PS4 Pro and Xbox One X - something that doesn't happen in the current version of the main game. Here, our resolution measurements are again dynamic, delivering the same 1440p to 1620p window on Xbox One X (skewing lower to 1440p during gameplay). The resolution window is wider on PS4 Pro - we found a minimum 882p, rising to 1440p max, but mostly sticking at 1080p. Although trackside detail is similar, Xbox One X has improvements to LODs and shadow quality here.

Finally there's the performance mode, which aims to deliver a 60fps lock on both systems. Based on what we've measured from the demo, Xbox One X's upper bounds remains at 1620p, but resolution tends to settle at 1080p through gameplay. There's a very similar presentation overall on PS4 Pro with the 1080p pixel-count remaining in place for most of the action, but the resolution range we found tracks between 972p to 1440p.

Performance-wise, while we have limited data points in the demo, we found that both Pro and Xbox One X ran nicely at 60fps in performance mode, though Pro could drop in wet weather conditions. Resolution mode looks pretty solid on both systems, while the enhanced visual modes can drop - we logged minimums of 55fps with tearing on both consoles, but again, only in wet weather conditions. Right now, first impressions suggest some interesting choices for users added to the mix then, and the sense is that the performance balance between the two consoles may have shifted. We'll update with more detail once the title updates for both consoles arrive.

Back