PD has lost the interest to improving GT7?

• Thread starter nickf1gr
  • 70 comments
Both reasons do not excuse the lack of events and payouts being added. This still remains the biggest offender of GT7s shallowness and funnily enough, the easiest problem to fix.

i get the impression they just don't care.
That is exactly what I just can't understand. They add new races (very few per month, but still) and don't give them even half as much payout as the 3 standard grind races we have right now. Why not make the new World Touring Car 800 race have similiar payout to those we currently have? Or make the Neo classic and the Gr. 1 Prototype races 3 race championships that give a large payout for winning all 3 in a row?

That way we would really have the choice how we want to grind and not be stuck with the same 3 races.

That is exactly what I just can't understand. They add new races (very few per month, but still) and don't give them even half as much payout as the 3 standard grind races we have right now. Why not make the new World Touring Car 800 race have similiar payout to those we currently have? Or make the Neo classic and the Gr. 1 Prototype races 3 race championships that give a large payout for winning all 3 in a row?

That way we would really have the choice how we want to grind and not be stuck with the same 3 races.
Look at the posts about this game and how it is designed like a f2p game… the lack of events (in general) and lack of repeatable - high paying events are by design.

Create a boring grind, create fomo with ltm… give people the option to skip the grind by spending money.
It’s also why they never added the ability to sell cars (for quick cash) and are yet to add this simple feature.

Last edited:
No more like a game where you actually invest time firstly in the cars you do have (you're supposed to enjoy them, not have them just sit in a virtual garage), and then gradually build up credits for something fancy.
Isn’t this how the game should have been structured from day one? Then the licences might have some kind of purpose.

Everybody thought GT7 would be an improvement.

What makes people think GT8 will be any different?
GT8 will be ****. We’ll make it better with constructive and direct feedback 😂

Jokes aside, all they need to do is give people the ability to sell cars. That way people can empty their garage and move on 😂

/s just in case

Everybody thought GT7 would be an improvement.

What makes people think GT8 will be any different?
Just like GT7 was a copy/paste of Sport, I see GT8 being a copy/paste of 7, but with some actual content, online features as good as/better than Sport. etc. These were the glaring omissions in GT7 and they're very easy to fix. Could easily be fixed in 7 right now if they wanted to but I don't think they have enough devs to do so, as the vast majority are working on GT8.

Idk, I've no insider knowledge, no crystal ball, just a hunch that GT8 is going to be much closer to what everyone was expecting GT7 to be. Don't know why I feel that way but I do. It's not my extreme confidence in PD, that's for sure lol. I think we see a PS5-only GT8 by/before next Xmas, I'm calling it now. Or at least the announcement for it and then the inevitable delay into spring 2024. There's always a delay(s)

Just like GT7 was a copy/paste of Sport, I see GT8 being a copy/paste of 7, but with some actual content, online features as good as/better than Sport. etc. These were the glaring omissions in GT7 and they're very easy to fix. Could easily be fixed in 7 right now if they wanted to but I don't think they have enough devs to do so, as the vast majority are working on GT8.

Idk, I've no insider knowledge, no crystal ball, just a hunch that GT8 is going to be much closer to what everyone was expecting GT7 to be. Don't know why I feel that way but I do. It's not my extreme confidence in PD, that's for sure lol. I think we see a PS5-only GT8 by/before next Xmas, I'm calling it now. Or at least the announcement for it and then the inevitable delay into spring 2024. There's always a delay(s)
There's a theory out there that even numbered Gran Turismos always best their odd number counterparts (which usually are also part of the same console, but come later).

And IMO, it's been that way up until now.

Considering there are tire temperatures hidden in the game, though they don't work accurately, could lend credence to the idea that it's a work in progress and something that could be implemented into GT8. Of course, it could just as easily be scrapped, as they have done to so many features in the past.

Considering there are tire temperatures hidden in the game, though they don't work accurately, could lend credence to the idea that it's a work in progress and something that could be implemented into GT8. Of course, it could just as easily be scrapped, as they have done to so many features in the past.
only info is hidden ;d temparature was already a thing in gt sport

snc
only info is hidden ;d temparature was already a thing in gt sport
Yes, but my point is that it doesn't work anywhere close to how it should in real life. Do you think it's something they want to implement into a PS5 exclusive game? Genuine question. As consoles get more powerful, they can't just stick to whatever a PS4 can handle. They have to have more goals in mind than pretty graphics. Hopefully.

Last edited:
I don't feel like booting up the game right now to check but if I'm not mistaken we haven't gotten a single bit of new content post-launch on Nordschleife. This is many peoples favorite track and we get nothing. It's been 7 months.

We have not. Bathurst still only has 1 event too.

the 2 races on the Nordschleife are incredibly restricted too, and in the rain, and only 1 lap.

yeah, among GT7's MANY MANY problems, this is one of the most egregious. There are practically no races on the dang Nürburgring! There's two really short ones, in the rain, with very specific restrictions. YUCK. Why is it so hard to add races? This game should have 5x to 10x the number of races currently available.

Custom races are completely moot because they give utterly insignificant payouts.

The game's been out for 6 months. The amount of new content is pitiful. Just an utter embarrassment and complete failure.

Last edited:
I have thought PD lost interest a long time ago, GT7 was in development for 7 years… 7 years.. and this is what turned out, same game engine as GT Sport but with flashier graphics - same old car selection and by old I mean no new models from the last 4 or 5 years, Sony won’t pay for the licenses, only 1 new track rest all from previous versions, no improvements to online penalty system - arguably worst it’s ever been, same number in lobbies, daily races that should be called Weekly Still having to start in rolling formation for any race. It’s tired and needs a refresh

Covid isn’t an excuse, the whole world suffered and equally as many software houses plus the game was late and missed the launch of PS5 where it should have been a PS5 exclusive.

The online daily’s are poor be it matching or the penalty system as mentioned - the only positives for me are the cars, the tuning, and some of the events like World Touring Cars but I’ve done all of those and want new ones not new menus where they want you to spend credits buying cars in the hope you will have to pay hard cash for in game currency.

It’s tired, too many negative experiences when playing - the gaming press said it was an 8.5 out of 10 game but to me it’s 6 out of 10 at best - the developer has become bored and run out of ideas or someone is stopping the new ideas making it to production

If the developer engaged with its community perhaps we might know but they don’t

It’s a 6 out of 10 game

Yes, but my point is that it doesn't work anywhere close to how it should in real life. Do you think it's something they want to implement into a PS5 exclusive game? Genuine question. As consoles get more powerful, they can't just stick to whatever a PS4 can handle. They have to have more goals in mind than pretty graphics. Hopefully.
Im not an expert but they work kinda ok at least for casual sim, first lap they are more cold and you have be more carefull etc (btw its only on were is tyre degradation on)

snc
Im not an expert but they work kinda ok at least for casual sim, first lap they are more cold and you have be more carefull etc (btw its only on were is tyre degradation on)
But your tires never overheat, and after one lap, they remain in the optimal window. For instance, there is a YouTuber named Doughtinator who has been doing some testing and the tire temperatures don't affect stopping distance.

But your tires never overheat, and after one lap, they remain in the optimal window. For instance, there is a YouTuber named Doughtinator who has been doing some testing and the tire temperatures don't affect stopping distance.
Im not sure its first problem of gt7 ;)

I have a wild idea. How about building more events that incentivize the use of all those cars? Then by racing all those events, you get plenty of ways to grind more credits without being stuck doing the same 3 races for the same awful payouts, and get the cars you want to buy, and then race those in events suited for them!

Insane, I know! /sarc
I actually agree. There's lot of really cool cars I already have but don't really have anything single-player to race them in... That's where GT4 was King with the myriad of Manufacturer races and all the other stuff that meant if you wanted to race a car you liked there was almost definitely something to race it in.

Of course there's the online component which theoretically covers all of that, but you then require others to be of the same mindset effectively if you're looking to race 1960's GT cars, or lightly tuned 90's hatchbacks or anything really that's outside of the specific categories (don't get me wrong I enjoy the Gr3 stuff too).

I still maintain though that there's no reason to spend real money in this game. You can have plenty fun in cars that are lower cost, and those that are more rare and highly priced are attainable with patience. Don't burn yourself out grinding for a car.

The only reason why SCE are not interested in fixing or improving GT7 is because they have made money from it already.

They need serious genuine competition, but with Sony having a vested interest in the GT franchise, the cards are stacked against the indy developers who do have a passion create special games.

Since it was only three days ago PD "improved network connectivity" for lobbies, it seems that no, they haven't lost interest in improving GT7.

Last edited:
I have little to no faith that they have the interest or capability to fix some of the aspects that were a massive step forward from GT Sport like force feedback that they broke with update 1.15.

I think qualifying in lobbies will return to the series in the next year, but otherwise I don't think most of the problems with the game are due to a lack of interest from PD in fixing them, it's that they don't see them as problems at all.

See: AI, lack of content, game economy etc

I don't think that PD have lost interest in the game. I really can't see why a studio would willingly neglect its flagship title.

I do think that Sony doesn't have the funds to develop the game as quickly as they and we would want. They will have invested heavily in the PS5 and would normally want to recover those development costs by selling PS5s and PS5 games. But there have been a number of external factors making this difficult, including a global economic slowdown and a chip shortage.

Had the economy been stronger we might have seen more 2022 cars or a PS5-only release or more new content.

So I expect a slow planned drip feed of new content - three-ish new cars per month. A new track or changed layout every other month. The occasional tie-in with a third party like Dior. Just what we have been seeing. I don't think this means they have lost interest. It's more the economic reality of these hard times.

do think that Sony doesn't have the funds to develop the game as quickly as they and we would want.
Oh come on. They may have had a downturn recently but they're still worth 85+ billion, Playstation division at 37+ billion. GT7 is sure to have already generated a decent profit that they can put back in as well. They can afford a few million to put into the game.

Oh come on. They may have had a downturn recently but they're still worth 85+ billion, Playstation division at 37+ billion. GT7 is sure to have already generated a decent profit that they can put back in as well. They can afford a few million to put into the game.
How do you know what they can afford? None of us do. We don't know how much of their worth is available for investment in GT7 or is tied up with the development of the next generation of products.

What we can all see is that they have put out a game which is a work in progress at the same time that they are experiencing a loss of income. It's not much of a stretch to suggest that the two are linked.

No producer or manufacturer would put out a sub-standard product if they can avoid it. You want consumers to be buying your products, enjoying them and encouraging other consumers to buy them.

How do you know what they can afford? None of us do. We don't know how much of their worth is available for investment in GT7 or is tied up with the development of the next generation of products.
You said they "don't have the funds". Of course they do. Whether they want to use them is another matter, but they 100% have them.
What we can all see is that they have put out a game which is a work in progress at the same time that they are experiencing a loss of income. It's not much of a stretch to suggest that the two are linked.
Hold up, you're saying the state of GT7 is directly related to Sony not producing/selling many PS5s? That's a new one.

I do think that Sony doesn't have the funds to develop the game as quickly as they and we would want.

That makes a few bold assumptions:
1. That they developed the game the players wanted
2. That they think this game isn't finished and in need of fixing, and not actually a released product that they're giving the serviceable minimum number of regular content updates
3. That Sony Corporation, the THIRD LARGEST JAPANESE COMPANY by market capitalization and a consistent top 20 performer by earnings, doesn't have the millions to allocate to Polyphony Digital towards game development.

Before assuming anything along the lines of "What circumstances forced Sony/PD's hands into this situation," I think better questions to ask are "Who didn't do their jobs correctly?" and "What executive strategies and decisions got in the way of game development this time?"

Even if we don't ever get concrete answers, and we may never get them, there's one thing Sony definitely isn't: deprived of the means to make it happen. I'm far more inclined to believe this is a profitability/monetization problem getting in the way more than a lack of budget.

You said they "don't have the funds". Of course they do. Whether they want to use them is another matter, but they 100% have them.

Hold up, you're saying the state of GT7 is directly related to Sony not producing/selling many PS5s? That's a new one.
Of course they have some money to invest. Almost all manufacturers do. But do they have money to invest in all of their projects? When income is reduced a manufacturer has to look for savings across their entire portfolio. For me, that's why Sony are playing the MTX game. It's why there are few 2022 cars. It's why GT7 was released before it was finished.

Is it a "new one"? It might not have been mentioned here before, but there is nothing new about a company with reduced income looking to save money by skimping on quality.

After last update and after i read this site as a comparison (https://gran-turismo.fandom.com/wiki/Gran_Turismo_Sport/Updates) i think that PD 'lost' the interest for 'polish' GT7.
This have two reasons
1) Covid-19 period 'hurt' them as a company from the man resourses department.
2) Sony stoped to 'support" Grand Turismo series
These are my personal thoughts...
I think they never had any interest to really improve it. Just do the minimum that's enough to string people along who are gullible enough. The rest of us pulled the eject handle a long time ago.

Those are both bad reasons. Covid really wasn't that bad to cause worker shortages. And the brunt of it happened a year before GT7 even released. As for Sony not supporting them, they never supported GT, they support what makes them money, and GT still does, they couldn't care less about the reception, they'll stop supporting it when GT8 flops. GT7 already made a profit for them.
If it was F2P, we wouldn't have paid for the game and the game's MTX/grinding would be over the top. And not to mention P2W
That's only insult to injury, that they made us pay for a game that has a F2P economy. Wake up the grinding and MTX-es ARE over the top. Or do you think paying $100 for a single vehicle isn't over the top? Or grinding for it for weeks? LOL, what would be normal is 2-3 hours of grind or 2-3$ for any individual vehicle in game.

Back