Pedal Setup

• Thread starter Thugin
  • 13 comments
Canada
Canada
Hey guys. I'm fairly new to the racing scene and am wondering how you guys use your pedals. Both feet on different pedals? ie; Left foot on brake and right on the accelerator? If so, are you using the pedals simultaneously to get the desired affect? Or do you use right foot for both the brake and accelerator just like in a street car? The reason I ask is; I am using the later, right foot for both pedals, but feel I am losing time when transitioning my foot between the 2 pedals.. Also, when watching the Lewis Hamilton reference lap video, it clearly shows his foot movements and he is clearly using both feet to control both pedals at the same time. Appreciate the input Gents!

Since I'm not a driver in real life it was easy for me to learn to drive with both feet in racing games and since there's no clutch why wouldn't I. There will be others who do the same and actual drivers too and plenty of others that only use the one foot for the accelerator and brake. Whatever works for you or comes natural is good, there will be fast guys who use both methods without a doubt, just like there are some who use the pad. ;)

For sim racing I would say always use both feet. I was driving for awhile the same way I drive on the street which is right foot for accel and brake, and left foot for clutch (if needed).

When I finally forced myself to use both feet on the sim I cut at least a second (and probably more) off my lap times.

Left foot braking especially if you're not using a clutch. The transition time going between pedals makes it difficult to use the brakes and throttle to accurately control weight transfer

Left foot braking especially if you're not using a clutch. The transition time going between pedals makes it difficult to use the brakes and throttle to accurately control weight transfer

This.

Being able to trail-brake in to a corner and, if need be, apply a bit of throttle helps shave lap time.

Left foot braking when using paddles, right foot braking when using the clutch and shifter.

Last edited:
Really appreciate all of the great responses. I knew I was right in thinking that there was time to be gained by using both feet. Getting used to it is going to be interesting to say the least!

Next question: What footware are you all wearing when racing? Bare? Socks? Shoes? I usually go socks or bare. Tried shoes but just couldn't get used to it...Felt big and cumbersome.

I usually play in bare feet. Socks would probably be fine too.

As far as getting used to it. I am 50 years old and been driving with my right foot my entire life. When I decided to start left foot braking I just forced myself to drive that way. Probably only hurt me for 3 or 4 daily races (or a day) before I was faster. So it is just a matter of committing to it and allowing yourself to be briefly slower until it becomes second nature.

Next question: What footware are you all wearing when racing? Bare? Socks? Shoes? I usually go socks or bare. Tried shoes but just couldn't get used to it...Felt big and cumbersome.
I use socks only really.
I Could try to drive a Supra in the game with one of my pairs of Supra’s though! :lol::cheers:

I usually play in bare feet. Socks would probably be fine too.

As far as getting used to it. I am 50 years old and been driving with my right foot my entire life. When I decided to start left foot braking I just forced myself to drive that way. Probably only hurt me for 3 or 4 daily races (or a day) before I was faster. So it is just a matter of committing to it and allowing yourself to be briefly slower until it becomes second nature.

You were absolutely right! Took me less than a day to start shaving lap times using the left foot braking method.

The reason I was curious about what footware folks are using is because of the FIA live events... I don't see the competitors taking their shoes off and such during these events, so wondered if they are bare/sock users and had to quickly adapt to using shoes or if they have always practiced using shoes?

That leads me to; What about gloves? Are you guys using gloves when racing like the guys at the FIA events?

Latest Posts

Back