Penalty serving

• Thread starter ststav01
  • 52 comments
You can get a penalty there but you have to go way deep but yes I agree, it seems the limits are either too relaxed or too strict depending on the track.

I would like to see something concrete everywhere like 4 tires over the white line is a penalty, If you can hang 3 tires off while drifting maybe you should get a bonus. :D:D

I would like to see something concrete everywhere like 4 tires over the white line is a penalty, If you can hang 3 tires off while drifting maybe you should get a bonus. :D:D

It would be nice if it was the same in qualifying and the race too, it seems to make it up as it goes along sometimes as well.

I don't burn any penalties if they are 2 seconds or less. Sometimes the gap between me and the driver behind at the finish are greater than this. If it's greater than 2 seconds, I try to get it under 2 seconds by just coasting on downhill sections or through hairpins.

Lifting the throttle to serve the penalty is not working as it used to work in some of the previous versions unfortunately - now you need to slow down to a point where you are almost stationary in order to reduce the time, so this is far from effective strategy IMO
Say you have a 10 second penalty. You slow down until there's about 5 seconds left and then start to accelerate.
As you accelerate, lift the throttle a few times for a short amount of time, like half a second to one second. This will bring you back up to speed while ridding you of the remaining 5 seconds.

I haven't done any proper testing so I don't have any real evidence that this is more effective than serving the penalty in full all at once but my in-race observations indicate that I lose less than 10 seconds* when using this method.

*There are a number of other plausible explanations that could be the cause of this. I know that correlation does not imply causation.

If I'm dead last after a spin or something then I serve any penalties straight away as I'll have clear track to try and catch up. If I'm near the front I never serve penalties straight away especially near the start of a race. All that does is demote me to the back of the field. Better to wait a few laps for the field to spread out.

My favoured way of serving penalties is to stick hard to the inside line of 1st/2nd gear corners and just not accelerate, the timer normally counts down pretty quickly that way. Plus following drivers will be getting on the gas and naturally moving to the outside... I've yet to be rear ended that way (bound to happen now).

Serving penalties on a fast straight seems the worst thing to do as you lose the time taken to slow down, serve it, then get up to speed without being humped from behind

Carry it right to the end.

If I'm far enough ahead of the car(s) behind me I'll carry the penalty to the finish line, and deplete before crossing the finish line.

I do pull way off the racing line, slow down until the penalty has gone and then cross the line.

It cracks me up when I see racers serving penalties on the racing line and/or in a corner.

Either take it to the finish or pull over and stop hindering those behind you.

I think some people deliberately slow for penalties at awkward places in the hope that it stops others passing them. More than once I've come across players serving penalties in the middle of the final chicane at nurb gp... dicks

I think some people deliberately slow for penalties at awkward places in the hope that it stops others passing them. More than once I've come across players serving penalties in the middle of the final chicane at nurb gp... dicks

Yep, they do. The worst ones are the ones who decide not to accelerate out of corners, some even do this when they have not got any penalties. I hit the back of one yesterday exiting the hairpin at Suzuka and I wasn't even pressing the accelerator, that's how slow he was going. :banghead:

I don't like serving the penalties, because it changes other drivers strategies.
For example, yesterday, I got a 5 seconds penalty because someone crashed and hit my car pretty hard. I then proceeded to open the gap to second place as fast as I could. When he saw that he couldn't keep up with my pace, he started to lap a bit slower, and that made me be able to open the gap even further. I finished the race 6.4 seconds in front of him. Then... I lost the 5 seconds because of the penalty, and our official gap went to 1.4.
If I had served my penalty, I'd probably lose first place, either waiting and serving it, or the other driver wouldn't stop fighting me.

Why doesn't PD just have people serve penalties like in real races -- by doing a drive through the pit lane? I mean it doesn't have to be a real drive-through, just a canned animation. But that would eliminate the road hazards people are creating by stopping in the middle of the track.

Best place to do it is just before the line at the end of the race because the penalty goes down quickest, this is because if you slowed on the straight on a different lap your time would be lost throughout the whole straight A’s you get back up to racing speed.
Therefore your not losing as much time scrubbing it all on the way to the line.
Try and use hazards or indicator if someone is directly behind you slipstreaming to the line though also pull well to one side

Why doesn't PD just have people serve penalties like in real races -- by doing a drive through the pit lane? I mean it doesn't have to be a real drive-through, just a canned animation. But that would eliminate the road hazards people are creating by stopping in the middle of the track.

It a feasible solution. But with the amount of penalties people get, some would be going in the pits that many time in a race, they will get their own loyalty card. Maybe if penalties were more refined somehow.

Is there a reason they decided to allow you to scrub your penalties off during the race? I don’t get why they don’t just take them off your time at the end.

Is there a reason they decided to allow you to scrub your penalties off during the race? I don’t get why they don’t just take them off your time at the end.
Not that we know of. I guess it means that the person wronged (i.e bumped to pass, or the person who lost a position to a corner-cutter) should immediately gain back the position taken from them.

Exactly! :)

Not that we know of. I guess it means that the person wronged (i.e bumped to pass, or the person who lost a position to a corner-cutter) should immediately gain back the position taken from them.
It’s bizarre, it just makes the racing more unpredictable then
Then they should just force you to give the place back within 10 seconds or something and if you’ve belted them off in to the gravel you get a drive through or time taken off at then end.

I need to vent, I was in a group 2 race and some bloke behind me was determined to turn me round, his final try went badly cause he did it on a turn and when we straightened up my rear end went straight shoving him slightly off the track, boom 4 second penalty. Earlier on in the race I went into the pit lane, nothing else just pitted and came out miraculously with a 5 second penalty. I was 10 seconds ahead of the guy behind and 3 seconds behind the guy ahead. This was on fugi circuit so the pit entrance is easy to get in so I have no idea how on earth a 5 second penalty could have been initiated.

Car off track after contact equals penalty, whether you actually caused it or whether the contact was minor and you probably hit the barrier on the way into the pits too hard if you got a 5 second penalty, that's unlucky though I watched many get away with hitting it, one fair bounced off it too.

Not that I like any of the above, it's just the way it is.

Penalties should be longer but served at 75% throttle. Slamming the brake on a straightaway is really dumb because it often creates chaos and one of the reasons I pretty much quit the game.

Back