Performance Patch

  • Thread starter Thread starter Gamerwillz
  • 14 comments
  • 1,495 views
Messages
270
United Kingdom
United Kingdom
Messages
Gamerwillz
A patch to fix the framerate issues... Anyone know when it's coming out?
 
I've never heard any news on a patch for game performance. I highly doubt there will be one anytime soon.
 
What performance issue?

Occasionally it drops a bit low, most of the time it is silky smooth.
 
Oh.....my.....god. Does this ever stop? This game was designed around the framerate mate, it is running 60fps as much as it POSSIBLY CAN! Wow is all I can think of when I read stuff like this.
 
Oh.....my.....god. Does this ever stop? This game was designed around the framerate mate, it is running 60fps as much as it POSSIBLY CAN! Wow is all I can think of when I read stuff like this.

You say that as if the game is some kind of unflexible entity... did it ever occur to you that the fails to hit 60FPS lots of the time because of choices made about the game?

What you are saying is like loading up a tiny hatchback with way too many bricks and saying "That's as fast as the hatchback can go!".

No, it's as fast as it can go if you choose to overload it with bricks. If you scale back your plan and load it with a reasonable number of bricks, it will go faster.

PD simply made the choice to have it run the way it does. It doesn't have to, they just made it so it does.

It may well show up on a tech analysis, but to my eyes, for the most part, this is a very slick, smooth experience.

That's good. Peoples eyes are different. Some people can't tell the difference between 480p and 1080p and some people can't tell 30 fps from 60 fps. If you can't tell, your eyes are failing you in a very fortunate way.
 
That's good. Peoples eyes are different. Some people can't tell the difference between 480p and 1080p and some people can't tell 30 fps from 60 fps. If you can't tell, your eyes are failing you in a very fortunate way.

I think I said the framerate does drop out from time to time. If you look at the Digital Foundry analysis, it pretty much keeps above 50fps for the most part. Maybe its your eyes that need a check up.

I'm aware of what 60fps looks like.
 
There seems to be a lot of technical ignorance around this topic.

Unless PD scales back some of the effects like dynamic lighting you are never going to see better shadows or frame rate.

You are playing on a console with a fixed amount of RAM and processing capability. PD had to make compromises. One can't simply "update" the game and make it look perfect when you are working with a limited machine.
 
You say that as if the game is some kind of unflexible entity... did it ever occur to you that the fails to hit 60FPS lots of the time because of choices made about the game?

What you are saying is like loading up a tiny hatchback with way too many bricks and saying "That's as fast as the hatchback can go!".

No, it's as fast as it can go if you choose to overload it with bricks. If you scale back your plan and load it with a reasonable number of bricks, it will go faster.

PD simply made the choice to have it run the way it does. It doesn't have to, they just made it so it does.


That's good. Peoples eyes are different. Some people can't tell the difference between 480p and 1080p and some people can't tell 30 fps from 60 fps. If you can't tell, your eyes are failing you in a very fortunate way.



I'm sure you would know exactly how to make a game run in 16ms.
 
I don't think PD would be able to make substantial improvements regarding the framerate, but they could add an option to fix it to 30 fps. In that way, slowdowns and tearing wouldn't be noticeable except in the most extreme cases (SSR7 Wet with 16 premium cars approaching the first hairpin).
 
I think I said the framerate does drop out from time to time. If you look at the Digital Foundry analysis, it pretty much keeps above 50fps for the most part. Maybe its your eyes that need a check up.

I'm aware of what 60fps looks like.

If you look, the framerate rarely hits a solid 60 FPS and is usually more in the low 50's or lower. I Am not sure how that counts as "drops from time to time" when really it's "actually hits 60 from time to time".

I'm sure you would know exactly how to make a game run in 16ms.

Right... and because I can't make a blockbuster movie I also can't comment on what kinds of things make Transformers 2 bad or build a mansion in order to understand why a marble roof causes load bearing walls to buckle.

I love how people who don't know about something think this makes them experts in telling others how hard this thing must be because "I don't understand it so obviously you have no room to talk about it".

As it would turn out I have actually taken a lot of courses in programming and DO understand the process.
 
You say that as if the game is some kind of unflexible entity... did it ever occur to you that the fails to hit 60FPS lots of the time because of choices made about the game?

What you are saying is like loading up a tiny hatchback with way too many bricks and saying "That's as fast as the hatchback can go!".

No, it's as fast as it can go if you choose to overload it with bricks. If you scale back your plan and load it with a reasonable number of bricks, it will go faster.

PD simply made the choice to have it run the way it does. It doesn't have to, they just made it so it does.



That's good. Peoples eyes are different. Some people can't tell the difference between 480p and 1080p and some people can't tell 30 fps from 60 fps. If you can't tell, your eyes are failing you in a very fortunate way.

I understand what you are saying but for gods sakes, why are you complaining about it? The game rarely goes below or even at 30fps which is still very smooth. It really isn't that great of a noticeable visual difference when doing what the game is about, racing. I just cant get my head around the fact that people whine about such small things...
 
Back