Performante In Flagrante as Lamborghini Burns in Gas Station Accident

Maybe New Jersey not allowing people to pump their own fuel has it right, as annoying as it is.
I drove away from a pump with the nozzle still in the filler neck once. It was because we visited a station that offered to pump your gas for you (not in NJ), and after filling the tank the employee gave me an affirmative and walked off...without removing the nozzle. I had waited in the driver's seat, so I didn't know and it didn't occur to me that he might not finish the job. I stopped when I heard the clunk and put the nozzle back, no damage done. It was frustrating more than it was embarrassing.

Like @Danoff said, a deviation from your routine...

I've never driven away with the pump as I always stand next to the pump (no matter the weather) while it is inserted into my car.

This past winter I did have a pump not shut off on me and overflow the tank, spilling 1-2 gallons before I was able to shut it off manually. Either the pump was faulty or it was frozen. (It was about -8°F that day if I recall)

My family has 2 stations in Jacksonville all pumps are required by fed and state law to have a breakaway device.

When it comes to regulations Missouri and Kansas are like the Wild West. Either we don't have a law for that or we don't hire enough people to inspect and enforce the regulations that we already have. That's why they made that crazy water slide out here that ended up killing that kid. So it doesn't surprise me that this gas station had old equipment.

When it comes to regulations Missouri and Kansas are like the Wild West. Either we don't have a law for that or we don't hire enough people to inspect and enforce the regulations that we already have. That's why they made that crazy water slide out here that ended up killing that kid. So it doesn't surprise me that this gas station had old equipment.

You're regulated by the Department of Agriculture just like we are, everybody is.

They come out (unannounced) and look at check valves, flow control valves, flow meters, and the blend valve.

They're most interested in the flow meter to assure the consumer if you purchased 10 gallons, you've received 10 gallons.

*sigh* A huracan being burned to the ground because some idiot in a minivan somehow forgot about a fuel pump. Of course that happens. *facepalm*

Back