Permanent Borrow Glitch Trading Thread

United States
New York
Erm, I hope my friend doesn't get mad, because I accidentally took his F10! :eek:
What I did was simply delete game data to version 1.0 and I owned the car, I was only trying to reinstall the game
What this does:
This glitch allows you to permanently "borrow a persons car and own it.
How to do this:
1. First, borrow a friends car. Delete GT5 game data, it's the first folder in the Game tab in the XMB
2. Start GT5, refuse to download the patches
3. You should own the borrowed car BUT select a different car in your garage
4. Install patches and enjoy!
Pros of this glitch:
1. The original owner keeps the car and you get a copy of it
2. There's no types of trade caps
Cons of this glitch:
1. Time consuming
2. DELETING GAME DATA does not REMOVE ANY DLC
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
This works with ANY car

FAQ:

Q. Does removing the game data affect game progress?
A. No

Q. What does the game data contain?
A. Certain DLC's, tracks, patches, cars, pretty much the entire game except your save data

Q. Does this work with DLC?
A. No, DLC cannot be borrowed

Q. How much time can this take?
A. The final update process can take anywhere from 30-60 minutes, in total about 1 hour per car
The average delete time for game data is about 5 minutes

**UPDATE**As of the 24th of August 2012, the total patch download time may take up to 3-5 hours depending on your internet connection. The use of this glitch is no longer recommended unless you REALLY WANT a car.

Q. How many times can I do this?
A. As much as you want until your fingers hurt

Q. Can you borrow more then one car at once?
A. No, you can only borrow one car at a time

Q. Should I re install the game afterwards?
A. No, it just adds more time if you want to glitch again

Q. Will I lose my data?
A. Back it up first

You will NOT lose your pictures and replays if you do this...
Go to your replays and pictures in the game.
Press TRIANGLE on each one. [Pictures you can do all at once, not sure about replays.]
Then press 'Export to Save Data' or 'Export to 'Export to XMB Photo Menu'

Then your replays and pictures are their own file on your PS3.
You can leave them there or back them up.

After you are done with this glitch, when you go back into the photo and replay section, there is something in there that you press and it will bring your stuff back into the game.

Thanks to teecro for the following guide-
teecro
Make sure you read EVERY step of the instructions and EVERY question in the FAQ before you post or attempt to do this.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

- Gran Turismo 5 "Sponge" Glitch Instructions -

First off, always backup your current save file before attempting anything like this.
Before doing this, I backed up a copy of my gamesave to my PC and external HDD.

1. Back up current save file to a second [or third] location. [I.E. PC, USB flash device, or external HDD.]
2. Start up Gran Turismo 5 and borrow a car from someone on your friends list.
3. Save your game. [You don't have to due to auto save, but I always manually save.]
4. Quit the game to the XMB.
5. Delete the GAME DATA, NOT THE GAME SAVE. [It will take about 5 minutes if it's the first time, it will delete quicker after this first time. The Game DATA is located in the top folder on the 'game' tab in the XMB.]
6. Start up Gran Turismo 5.
7. Refuse to download patches. [Press CIRCLE when the message comes up.]
8. Refuse to install the game to HDD.
9. When the game loads, go in to 'GT Mode.'
10. You will see you own the borrowed car [letters not red, no key next to it], but make sure you change to a different car from your garage. [Do NOT buy one from the NCD or OCD.]
11. Save your game. [Again, you don't have to due to auto save, but I always manually save.]
12. Quit the game to XMB.
13. Start up Gran Turismo 5.
14. Download the game patches/updates.
15. Refuse to install game to HDD, unless you won't sponge again.
16. Go into 'GT Mode,' go to your garage, check out and enjoy your new car.

- Gran Turismo 5 Sponge Glitch FAQ -

Q. Why is this called the Gran Turismo 5 Sponge Glitch?
A. Ther persons username on GTP that found this is 'theotherspongey.' The community decided to give that person credit and named the glitch after them.

Q. Can anybody do this?
A. Anybody who has a save file that is smaller than 4165KB.

Q. Why does the game save have to be smaller than 4165KB?
A. If your save file is larger than that, when you start the game up after sponging and downloading the patches you will have no cars or tickets in your garage.

Q. Will my friend lose the car that I sponge?
A. No, that's the great thing. You get a copy and your friend keeps the original.

Q. Where is the game data at?
A. It is located in the top folder on the 'game' tab in the XMB.

Q. Does deleting the game data affect my game progress?
A. No, your game progess is held in your game save.

Q. What does the game data contain then?
A. DLC, created tracks, photo's, and replay's

Q. Wait, so you're telling me I will lost my DLC cars if I do this?!
A. No, all you have to do is re-download them when you are done.

Q. How do I re-download them?
A. Yes. Sign in to PSN. 'Go to Account Management.' Then 'Transactions Management.' Then 'Download List.' Just search through that list and re-download them. If you did a game share from someone elses account, well you can't get them back, unless you have access to that account again.

Q. What about the Nissan GT-R SpecV (GT Academy Special)?
A. That car was not DLC, it was given away via ticket form to people who competed in the GT Academy.

Q. Does this mean I can finally get the Chrome Line and Stealth cars?
A. No, any DLC car cannot be borrowed. This includes all Chrome Line cars, Stealth cars, Camaro SS Edge Special, and the Nissan GT-R SpecV (GT Academy Special).

Q. Wait a second. You just said it works with any car, so why can't I get the GT-R Academy Car?
A. You are thinking of the Nissan GT-R SpecV (GT Academy Version) '09 not the Nissan GT-R SpecV (GT Academy Special). The Nissan GT-R SpecV (GT Academy Special) was gifted to people who competed in the GT Academy.

Q. Can I get 0/0 cars this way?
A. No, any car that you do this to will end up with 1 switch.

Q. How long will it take me to delete the game data?
A. Deleting the game data for the first time takes about 5 minutes, it will go faster after the first time.

Q. How long will it take me to download the patches?
A. That all depends on your internet connection. It can take anywhere from 30 minutes to 2+ hours. It's also highly recommended that you hardwire your PS3 and don't use WiFi as that will help speed up the process.

Q. Should I reinstall the game to the HDD after I'm done downloading the patches?
A. No, it adds more time to the glitch than needed. Only do it if you plan on never sponging again.

Q. Is there a limit to the value of cars I can do this to?
A. No, so go out there and get your X2010's and all untradeable cars!

Q. How many times can I do this?
A. As many times as you want.

Q. Can I speed up the process by borrowing more than one car at once?
A. No, you can only borrow one car at a time.

Q. Can I speed up the process by borrowing cars over and over without downloading the patches?
A. No, you have to install the patches everytime. You will be unable to sign into PSN until the patches are downloaded again.

Q. I successfully completed my first sponge, but why did some of my car thumbnails disappear or are the wrong color?
A. It happens. There is a fix, but it is time consuming. Just highlight the car with the wrong thumbnail. Press TRIANGLE. Then click 'Create Thumbnail.' Wait a couple seconds and it's fixed. It is highly recommended that you wait until you are done sponging to perform this, otherwise you are just wasting your time. The thumbnail will also restore when you set a car to share online, but that takes longer.

Q. You mean I have to do that with every car?
A. Yes, and in all 3 different garage views. It's a small price to pay to perform this glitch.

Q. I successfully completed my first sponge but my game log shows that I got all of my trophies again. Why?
A. I'm not sure, my guess is that the data that holds the information about your trophies earned is located within the game data. So after you delete it and load the game up again, it thinks you earned your trophies again.

Q. Every time I sponge I keep getting the Mercededs-Benz 190 E 2.5 - 16 Evolution II '91. Why?
A. If you had all of the Mercedes-Benz AMG Academy Intermediate silvered before you performed the sponge then you will keep getting the Mercededs-Benz 190 E 2.5 - 16 Evolution II '91 after every sponge.

Q. Every time I sponge I keep getting the Mercededs-Benz 190 E 2.5 - 16 Evolution II '91 and the Mercedes-Benz CLK-LM Race Car '98. Why?
A. If you had all of the Mercedes-Benz AMG Academy Intermediate golded before you performed the sponge then you will keep getting the and the Mercededs-Benz 190 E 2.5 - 16 Evolution II '91 and the Mercedes-Benz CLK-LM Race Car '98 after every sponge.

Q. I have the Mercedes-Benz AMG Academy all silver or gold but it doesn't tell me that I am getting them when the game loads after I download the patches. Why?
A. Check in the car delivery truck, the tickets for the cars should be there.

Q. Why does that keep happening?
A. I'm not sure, just a side effect of this wonderful sponge glitch.

Q. You previously said all tracks, photos, and replays are in the game data. Will I lose them when I delete the game data?
A. Yes, you will lose them all. There is a couple steps you can take to prevent losing your photos and replays though.

Q. Well then tell me, how to I stop from losing my photos and replays?
A. Go to your replays and photos section in game. Press TRIANGLE on each one. Then press 'Export to Save Data' or 'Export to XMB Photo Menu.' Pictures you are able to do all at once, but replays you have to do one at a time.

Q. Can I get the photos and replays back in the game when I am done?
A. After you are completely done with sponging, you can get your replays back into the game, but not your photos. They will stay on the XMB photo menu. To get your replays back in the game. Go into the replay section. Down in the bottom left corner you will find an 'Import Replay' button. Press X on that and you can then import your replays back into the game.

Q. Will I lose my gear doing this?
A. No, you will not lose your gear. They will be in 2 different folders under 'items.' Just don't open the folders.

Q. What happens to the gear my driver is wearing and the gear my B-Spec drivers are wearing?
A. They will still be wearing the gear. It does not go back to the default white gear set.

Q. What happens to my drivers that I have shared online and their prize money?
A. Nothing, they will be safe and nothing will be lost.

Q. If I have cars set up to being shared online can I still do this?
A. Yes, the cars you have shared will be fine and nothing will happen to them.

Q. You previously mentioned not to buy any cars from the UCD or NCD. Why can't I?
A. After you you update the game again to the current version, you are unable to switch or sell the car that you bought after you deleted the game data.

Thank you all who have helped, tested, and contributed to this.:cheers:

Best of all, it's free! No fees at all.

Last edited:
So you're saying you lost your friend's F10 after downgrading to 1.0?

slower than bob
Good find, bro! How is it going with the actual trading experiment?

@f40
Yes but it's a little time consuming

Meh, I gave up with that and tried this:
Here are the steps ( have gotten F10 and x1 prototype! )
1. Borrow a car from someone
2. Delete GT5 game data
3. Launch the game without updating, you should be offline
4. The car you borrowed is now owned by you BUT
5. You must select a different car in your garage, then you may apply updatesl

And you can't move a thread there Mr, it's where all threads in the GT5 section are displayed.

That's got to be the best glitch ever. So you get the car, irrespective of value, i.e. there's no stupid trading limit, and nobody even has to waste a single trade day? What does that process do to DLCs, though? Do you have any? Did you keep them in the process?

I am sorry but I don't think this is a question, or anything helpfull.

Huh? You don't think (question or not aside) this is anything helpful? If this is actually working, it might just be the best find ever. Not that anyone would want to go through that whole process frequently, but it looks like a good way to get all those cars you want that can't be traded. And you don't think that's anything helpful?

doctorrg
That's got to be the best glitch ever. So you get the car, irrespective of value, i.e. there's no stupid trading limit, and nobody even has to waste a single trade day? What does that process do to DLCs, though? Do you have any? Did you keep them in the process?

Well I don't have any DLCs but I can say there's no limit to the amount of cars you can glitch :)

wait, but if you do that, you don't get the cars that you owned right? yoou only get the 1 car? if not, please post more instructions

@f40
Yes but it's a little time consuming

Meh, I gave up with that and tried this:
Here are the steps ( have gotten F10 and x1 prototype! )
1. Borrow a car from someone
2. Delete GT5 game data
3. Launch the game without updating, you should be offline
4. The car you borrowed is now owned by you BUT
5. You must select a different car in your garage, then you may apply updatesl

And you can't move a thread there Mr, it's where all threads in the GT5 section are displayed.

By game data do you mean game save? Where is the game data located?

By game data do you mean game save? Where is the game data located?

No, he means the update data the game saves on the HDD. It's the highest folder in the column where game data is saved I think.

Can you "borrow" multiple cars at once? Like can you get say 5 cars at once? This would be very helpful in getting cars from my other accounts to my main account (which I am having to do one a day now with the trade limit).

Since the borrowing car feature wasn't added until update 1.06, if you delete the "game data" while not touching your "game save" (game save contains all your account's progress). Then play GT5 on version 1.0, the 1.0 version of the game doesn't know you have a borrowed car since that feature was added in a later update. So the 1.0 version of the game adds it to your garage, and then you update back to 1.10 where you own the car permanently and repeat. Great find!

Yea but now nobody who has a rare car will be so willing to share said car.

I wouldn't try it with the Chrome/Stealth cars sicne I've heard so many stories about those cars corrupting data.

Great find!
Can't wait to try this out!

Interested to see if it affects the 0/0 status of a 0/0 car.
If someone finds out, please pass on the info.

Latest Posts

Back