[Petition] Bring back standing start races in career mode

SkylineObsession

Expert daydreamer
Premium
New Zealand
New Zealand
SkylineObsession
Mangosaurus
Hi all. Back after many years away just to post up something i feel extremely strongly about.

Hopefully this hasn't been posted yet, and hopefully it's a topic which is permitted in this forum, but i've started a petition on Change.org to try get the attention of Kazunori to let him know that there are thousands of players out there who do not want rolling start races in career mode.

For people like me who've been playing since GT1, i grew up playing every GT game and enjoying the heck out of them including the challenge of standing start races which can often determine your position at the first corner. It was exciting and nerve wracking all in one for many races, and to see almost every race in the past few GT's switched over to rolling races is immensely disappointing and is personally taking a lot of fun out of the game (i never use traction control, even in race cars, so standing starts can be a fun challenge sometimes).

I'm a huge GT fan (who also plays Forza games and others) and it feels to me like these rolling races are either lazy development or programming issues, which, considering the usual polish of these games, seems really out of proportion and almost an afterthought.

So again i apologise if this is in the wrong place, and if it's not permitted here at all then i'll just have to keep trying to get Kaz's attention via Twitter posts as i have been.

If however it is permitted, and many of you agree with me, we really need to do all we can to spread word of this petition and get as many people to sign it as we can. If i've omitted anything in the petition description then i'm open to suggestions to reword or add/remove parts of it.

And i want it to continue to be an all inclusive game, so near the end of the petition i've suggested that Polyphony can add in an option of having rolling start or standing start races for every event (either at the pre-race screen/event entry mode, and or in the options menu), which will please both sides of the party.

Bring back standing start races in GT7 career mode!

Thank you for your time, and hopefully us standing start fans will get listened to. :)

IF YOU ALSO WANT TO SEE STANDING STARTS RETURN, PLEASE SHARE THE LIFE OUT OF THE PETITION! I don't use social media anymore, and also no longer frequent any forums (i barely even use the internet these days), so i'm not really able to share this anywhere else. :(

Last edited:
1646386056954.png

1646386121261.png

Obviously OP wants more than one standing start for every ten or so rolling starts. OP even explicitly says they don't want any rolling starts at all.
This. Back in the early GT games, rolling starts were barely ever/never featured. I don't like them anywhere even remotely near as much as standing starts, especially not the spaced out linear way they are implemented in GT7.

If they change some rolling start races to double file and very compacted like in real life, then i won't mind them as much. But would still prefer standing starts for most races.

Exactly, there's a good reason many race series don't space cars apart so far like GT7 does. It's uncompetitive, gives an unfair advantage to those at the front (considering there's no qualifying i've seen so far in GT7?), and is frankly really boring to watch (and participate in, in games).

I find myself making more and more custom races, starting at the back with 20 car grids, just to get some fun out of GT7 again (did the same in GT Sport). For some of us to have fun in a triple A racing game, we shouldn't have to keep creating custom races...

@Jordan mentioned the rolling starts in his review, as did IGN and a number of other sites i saw in a quick Google search. It was only after seeing these reviews that i decided to start this petition, as i had to make sure i wasn't the only one disappointed/frustrated with the rolling starts.

I also plan to create another petition about the increasingly lower max horsepower figures. In GT1 the Mitsubishi GTO maxed out at over 1,000hp. In GT7 the max i've got it to is about 597hp... The hp figures have been steadily dropping in each GT game, despite the fact the real life versions of a lot of the cars in the game are increasing in power more reliably, and can very easily top 1,200hp+. I don't care if it makes the cars uncontrollable, nor do i care if getting them that powerful becomes extremely expensive. Let us deal with the consequences of too much power.
It's not like the physics engine can't handle it, with cars like the 600km/h+ SRT Tomahawk.

It's another thing that's starting to wear me down in Gran Turismo, and i'm thankful for games like Forza which don't shy away from high hp, as much. But i digress, that's another topic for another day.

Last edited:
The AI actually can be challenging enough for standing starts to be a lot of fun, assuming you don't bring a super overpowered car.

In my opinion, even starting from last in a standing start race is way more fun than starting last in a rolling start race, and not just because the gap is smaller. It just feels so much more realistic to me and more fun seeing a gang of cars in front of you

Exactly. There's just something about standing starts that is so enticing.

I've 'grown up' with standing start races in GT games, and it's such a bizarre feeling knowing that the vast majority of races in the latest GT games are now elongated rolling start races. There's just no excitement anymore, knowing that the other cars are already a corner or more ahead of you when you start the race.

It's like "Here's a pie, i took a bite out of it to get you started on it quicker". Or like walking out to your car to it already running, to 'save time'. That's kinda the feeling i get with these rolling starts. :/

Grid starts are too easy and reliable for people who are grinding the credits which PD is trying to pressure players into buying. These sprawled out back of the pack starts decrease a players chances of securing a high paying finish. They also pressure players into being more aggressive with their mods and spending more of those credits on them.

Interesting take on it, which i won't deny could be a possible reason. But they did have rolling starts through most of GT Sport too though, so who knows. Hopefully Jordan or someone will ask Kaz about them one day and we find out for sure what the deal is.

It's to make the races more interesting I assume so you have to actually pass people instead of just hot lapping at the front. If you want real competition play online.

Online isn't for everyone, i tried it for a while in GT5/GT6, but don't have a huge desire to go back to it. In fact i barely ever play any game online now (and when i do it's only with family/friends/online friends), it's just how i prefer to play these days.

I wouldn't hate rolling starts if they were not this stupid single file, leader is 100km ahead when you get to start crap.
The reason this type of start exists is to make it more challenging due to **** AI

Funny how we also don't have Qualifying.
If we were given a random spot on the grid that would be nicer than ALWAYS last.

Grid starts are too easy and reliable for people who are grinding the credits which PD is trying to pressure players into buying. These sprawled out back of the pack starts decrease a players chances of securing a high paying finish. They also pressure players into being more aggressive with their mods and spending more of those credits on them.
Yeah because grinding is soooooo hard. :rolleyes:

The excuses people trot out for PD never fail to amaze.

Lets not forget
Rolling starts started back in GT2 where you were just thrown in without a countdown, in GT4 where you waited a long ass time to just start.
These games did not have microtransactions, As mentioned before, it is because AI sucks.

It's so stupid with these rolling starts, clearly the AI can cope with standing starts in GT7 - a great example being in this custom race i made (i forgot about this clip till just now when browsing the capture gallery on my PS4):

All the AI cars seemed to cope well with it, the faster ones overtook the slower ones and all is well. So PD, what's the deal?

And before anything negative is said about the fact i went from 20th to 1st before the first corner, i was doing that race just for the fun of it, and purposely selected lower pp Ai opponents.

Last edited:
Ultimately this is just one of many aspects of the game we don't know PDs thoughts behind because they never truly explain things, or open up in interviews. They've been doing this since a late GT5 patch in 2012, a decade later, not one word from PD on their rationale behind it. People have made their own guesses (or excuses) but we've heard nothing from the horses mouth, and I expect that will continue.

I don't understand why they don't do more standing starts either. The AI is pretty competent, for the most part, cough (still can't take turns well). And the racing is so much cooler with a field slowly stretching out as in an actual race. And on hard, the racing is pretty darn challenging with ever higher performing cars.

Maybe when the first AI patches start showing up, we can have some. Maybe. But that's something we might have to lobby for.

Last edited:
Was playing the game last night and the night before and have started noticing an interesting side effect of the rolling start races. It's that i basically no longer bother watching the replays anymore. I always do when i've created a custom race with a standing start, but with rolling start races i just don't see the point since half the field is already way out of the replay camera shots of my car.

I mentioned it in another topic, but GT is pretty much the only game where i look forward to watching the replays (and often do). So to notice this wee side effect last night got me quite disheartened. :( I'm glad at least i can still get my replay fix by custom racing, but still - it shouldn't be that way.

I've saved an absurd amount of replays from every single GT game (in the GT2 days i even bought an extra memory card to store just GT2 replays - which i still have), as i just love watching them so much.

I don't really care.. I can live with flying starts too. If there are standing starts, then please make them really difficult, i.e. with qualifying AND really bad penalties for EVERY driver, as well as a very hard damage system. If so, then it will be really exciting.

Personally I have no issue with rolling starts, what pisses me off is the lack of qualifying.
Rolling start and qualifying is correlated. You won't be given qualifying because it's a ploy to make the game "harder" while keeping braindead AI that PD, probably just can't fix instead of won't fix. And rolling start is also done to increase further the distance between you and the AI.

Rolling start and qualifying is correlated. You won't be given qualifying because it's a ploy to make the game "harder" while keeping braindead AI that PD, probably just can't fix instead of won't fix. And rolling start is also done to increase further the distance between you and the AI.

I know, they won’t change a thing, specially since GT7 is still a cross-gen game that still needs to run on the base PS4 model.

Let’s see what Sophy brings. Probably in 2028 for GT8 on the PS6 🤣

The problem with the rolling starts is that you are nevertrying to really race the AI as you have to make up the 30-or-so seconds lead they start with in a small amount of laps.

They are basically just moving obstacles: you don't overtake them by getting slipstream or getting a good exit of a corner or whatnot, you just pass them effortlessly as you have to be that much faster than them to actually win. It makes it really boring.

Last edited:
Back