[Petition] Bring back standing start races in career mode

It wouldn’t be so boring if the AI didn’t do the same crap every single time. We always get basically 2 packs and a super-pilot-on-rails that work as the carrot on a stick.

That's a good description actually @br1x :cool: And very accurate. If you have a slower car, then sometimes you're destined to stay near the back of the pack, and on longer races the only time you see the lead cars are either in pitlane or when they lap you.

At least in a standing start race you get a glimpse of their exhaust pipes before you don't see them again for a while. ;)

It just makes all the races with rolling starts seem just like the 'pass as many cars as possible in the time limit' missions. :(

Last edited:
That's a good description actually @br1x :cool: And very accurate. If you have a slower car, then sometimes you're destined to stay near the back of the pack, and on longer races the only time you see the lead cars are either in pitlane or when they lap you.

At least in a standing start race you get a glimpse of their exhaust pipes before you don't see them again for a while. ;)

It just makes all the races with rolling starts seem just like the 'pass as many cars as possible in the time limit' missions. :(
The other thing with a standing start is you can very quickly decide if they car you've chosen is fast enough to win the race. If you're keeping up, you know you're in with a shot. If they all disappear you know instantly you've picked something too low. If you're in first by T1, the opposite.

With a rolling start when you're starting 30 to 40 seconds behind it's really impossible to know. Even just doing the math of how many seconds a lap you're catching them isn't enough because the AI can vary their laptimes. So it can be only the last lap before you realise it's not going to happen. Same with your car being overpowered.

They just suck in every way possible. The "1 lap magic" catch up events were fine as special events, they should never have become the default format in the entire game.

Last edited:
Bring back isn't a correct expression.

Full standing starts where you must beat the lights weren't a thing in previous GT games, except some Daily Races on GT Sport.

On previous games he had starts where we floored it and the car would go as soon as the race started, which isn't exactly the same thing.

You want race starts where you have tho beat the lights, avoid jump starts and so.

Or just race starts where the cars will automatically go of as soon as the race start?

Bring back isn't a correct expression.

Full standing starts where you must beat the lights weren't a thing in previous GT games, except some Daily Races on GT Sport.

On previous games he had starts where we floored it and the car would go as soon as the race started, which isn't exactly the same thing.

You want race starts where you have tho beat the lights, avoid jump starts and so.

Or just race starts where the cars will automatically go of as soon as the race start?
Standstill means either the 1st car get only max. 3-4 secs, like many races in GT4 or start from zero km/h like GT3. Qualifying is good but not very important. But Standstill start takes only a few hours to code, qualifying might take a few more hours. But we got qualifying both in all or some races in GT3&GT4.
Or the last option you mentioned, which is similar to the above descriptions.

I also plan to create another petition about the increasingly lower max horsepower figures.
Can I start a petition that there be no more petitions about GT7? How Change.org, a supposedly reputable organization, allows all of these frivilous ******** petitions is beyond me. It's for affecting real change in the world, not bitching about a video game. I'm sure any of the 43 petitions already there, featuring such insights as "Add a FedEx van to the game!" will be taken super-seriously. Everyone needs to grow up.

I'm not saying that voicing your legitmate concerns to the developers is wrong; I'm saying that utilizing such means is not only a complete waste of time, I'd also childish and detracts from the real purpose of that site.

Last edited:
It's to make the races more interesting I assume so you have to actually pass people instead of just hot lapping at the front. If you want real competition play online.
The races will be much more exciting in SP mode if we get more options, like in from arcade mode in GT3 we could choose a race car tier to race against by using any of our own cars in our own garage. It takes only a few hours or a few days to code options for opponent cars [and class like Gr3-Gr4] also, like tire and PP range within 100PP up or down.

The races will be much more exciting in SP mode if we get more options, like in from arcade mode in GT3 we could choose a race car tier to race against by using any of our own cars in our own garage. It takes only a few hours or a few days to code options for opponent cars [and class like Gr3-Gr4] also, like tire and PP range within 100PP up or down.
You mean like Custom Race in GT7?

What bothers me the most with the current rolling starts is that it’s so hard to predict the outcome of the final laps and to set up a proper race strategy. It’s like being thrown into the middle of a race and then being asked to catch up to the leader as fast as possible. It’s stressful, chaotic and most of all idiotic concidering you are so overpowered that you blast past everyone. Clearly there are competitive singleplayer races with tight lineups for rolling starts that are a ton of fun, but they are treated like bonus races for some reason. I don’t mind the lack of standing starts if the rolling starts are not spread out over half the track like they are now.

Last edited:
Rolling start and qualifying is correlated. You won't be given qualifying because it's a ploy to make the game "harder" while keeping braindead AI that PD, probably just can't fix instead of won't fix. And rolling start is also done to increase further the distance between you and the AI.
Hit the nail on the absolutely right spot.

PD is afraid of making an AI so overpowered that the casuals (over 90% of players) can't beat.
But yet, somehow, they still created a Difficulty system option.
The AI on this game can be fast and challenging, the problem is, it's not all of them and it's also not at all times.

Take the Mazda Roadster Endurance event at Tsukuba.

I on that race lapped the entire field twice, yet there was ONE single car in that race that finished just 3 seconds behind me. How does this make any goddamn sense? In cars that "supposedly" are pretty much equal across the board?

Not to mention that I was almost 20 seconds behind him and was gaining on him, enough that after the 1st round of pitstops I was in front of him on pace alone.
Yet, after this, he picks up the pace and starts lapping faster than me, he even got the fastest lap of the race. He was also clearing traffic way better than most other AI.

So yes, the potential is there to create a competent and challenging AI, PD simply s***s at implementing it into the game. Look also at the 730 Gr.3 Daytona Race which was really challenging across the board and the rolling start was a WEC style rolling start with cars side by side with each other with the leader just 5 seconds ahead of you.

Doing rolling starts for "special" events? That's accepatble.

Doing rolling starts for almost every single race on the game? No... That's not racing. You are literally against ONE regulated AI that can match you that only starts to pick up the pace when it wants or when you get ahead of him and then all the other 18 cars on track are just moving roadblocks. This is not racing at all.

Plus, how can a game that thrieves on "simulated realism" not have QUALIFYING in the single player campaign? Qualifying is one of the core aspects of ALL RACING. Yet you have absolutely none of it outside of Online. It's ridiculous, on a game like this. Who the f* makes these decisions?

Just make 4 types of competitive AI:

Beginer - Amateur - Professional - Extreme

And, so as to not make people exploit this, and also to make players try to get better, DON'T MAKE THE PAYOUTS EQUAL. The harder difficulties deserve the higher payouts. This is again, an incentive to make players put in the effort to get better.

But no... Just add 3 irrelevant difficulty choices which rewards absolutely no one.

You can do that. Choose custom race instead of arcade race.

I must say that the most appropriate change is to do away with "catch the rabbit". Aside from being a cheap way to cover up the AI's flawed work, it's terribly repetitive and frustrating for the player.

Last edited:
Hi all. Back after many years away just to post up something i feel extremely strongly about.

Hopefully this hasn't been posted yet, and hopefully it's a topic which is permitted in this forum, but i've started a petition on Change.org to try get the attention of Kazunori to let him know that there are thousands of players out there who do not want rolling start races in career mode.

For people like me who've been playing since GT1, i grew up playing every GT game and enjoying the heck out of them including the challenge of standing start races which can often determine your position at the first corner. It was exciting and nerve wracking all in one for many races, and to see almost every race in the past few GT's switched over to rolling races is immensely disappointing and is personally taking a lot of fun out of the game (i never use traction control, even in race cars, so standing starts can be a fun challenge sometimes).

I'm a huge GT fan (who also plays Forza games and others) and it feels to me like these rolling races are either lazy development or programming issues, which, considering the usual polish of these games, seems really out of proportion and almost an afterthought.

So again i apologise if this is in the wrong place, and if it's not permitted here at all then i'll just have to keep trying to get Kaz's attention via Twitter posts as i have been.

If however it is permitted, and many of you agree with me, we really need to do all we can to spread word of this petition and get as many people to sign it as we can. If i've omitted anything in the petition description then i'm open to suggestions to reword or add/remove parts of it.

And i want it to continue to be an all inclusive game, so near the end of the petition i've suggested that Polyphony can add in an option of having rolling start or standing start races for every event (either at the pre-race screen/event entry mode, and or in the options menu), which will please both sides of the party.

Bring back standing start races in GT7 career mode!

Thank you for your time, and hopefully us standing start fans will get listened to. :)

IF YOU ALSO WANT TO SEE STANDING STARTS RETURN, PLEASE SHARE THE LIFE OUT OF THE PETITION! I don't use social media anymore, and also no longer frequent any forums (i barely even use the internet these days), so i'm not really able to share this anywhere else. :(
I strongly support this. The fact I cannot qualify for pole position and am forced to startvat the rear makes the game boring. I just started it and I'm sick of having to drop $30k to customize a new car just so I can win a 2 lap race and make half that money back.... OH and I cannot sell the new car I won. Grand Turismo needs to take it back to its roots and bring back true racing that was present in GT4

Chase the rabbit style racing or one lap magic races should only exist in missions.
The races should be either grid starts or rolling starts where the cars are very close to each other - like people would do in real life.

Its a safe bet that the current style is done because the AI are rubbish. You know this, I know this and PD know this. I strongly believe that PD only released the information on Sophy before the release of GT7 to do some damage limitations. The hope is that people don't complain too much about the AI and when they do, PD can shift the conversation to talk about Sophy.

PD will never admit this of course. There recent course of action seems to have resorted to straight up lies about GT7 and I doubt that will change anytime soon

Back