Peugeot 203 Berline 1955

• Thread starter Aero2000
  • 2 comments
Sweden
Sweden
SMH1989
1.jpg
2.jpg

Powertrain: 1290 cc , inline-4 , 45 hp / 4500 rpm , 80 Nm / 2500 rpm , 4-speed manual

Dimensions: Length 4350 mm , Width 1610 mm , Height 1560 mm , Weight 910 kg

Performance: Top speed 117 km/h , 0-100 km/h 21 sec

Information: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Peugeot_203

Other suggestions of Peugeot
404 Super Luxe Berline '65 , 505 Turbo Injection '85 , 406 3.0 V6 Sedan '00 , 308 GTi '11 , 108 1.2 VTi Puretech 82 '15

Last edited:
OK, it's time for another one of my rambling reminiscences.

That's because I learned to drive in a Peugeot 203 in about 1959. Most of my tuition was provided by my mother who owned the car. She had a fine sense of respect for machinery, the need to avoid abuse and an instinct for what that all meant.

This car was a kind of dirt brown, which was very suitable for the roads around where we lived in outback Australia. It would have been a 1958 or possibly 1957 model, since it had the Peugeot lion (complete with teeth) top center of the bonnet perfectly placed to impale pedestrians. For safety reasons, this was removed in 1959.

The 203 was pretty much indestructible. It shone in rallys in Australia which drove impressive sales for several years. Despite being woefully underpowered, once having got its speed up to 60mph, it would tend to stay at that speed indefinitely.

Many of the roads we used the 203 on were really just places where wheels had worn the grass away, so when it rained, there was mud and a likelihood of getting stuck. I don't know if Peugeot's engineering people chose to design for getting unstuck, but the column gear change layout facilitated unbogging. First and reverse gears were placed opposite each other, allowing the driver to rapidly rock the car between forward and backward motion. This typically would get us out of the mess quite quickly. It was a four speed box, so 2nd and 3rd were opposite each other, and 4th was out on its own. This worked well, since 4th gear was very long, and would only be used at the top end of the 203's speed range. This contributed to its impressive fuel economy. For most driving, it was essentially a three speed box.

Another quirk was the sharing of hinges for the doors. Thus, the front doors opened at the leading edge. Ease of entry and egress was an advantage, however, if a door was opened while moving, the stream of air tended to pull it open all the way. Hanging onto the door was a bad idea.

So, yes, the 203 gets my vote!

OK, it's time for another one of my rambling reminiscences.

That's because I learned to drive in a Peugeot 203 in about 1959. Most of my tuition was provided by my mother who owned the car. She had a fine sense of respect for machinery, the need to avoid abuse and an instinct for what that all meant.

This car was a kind of dirt brown, which was very suitable for the roads around where we lived in outback Australia. It would have been a 1958 or possibly 1957 model, since it had the Peugeot lion (complete with teeth) top center of the bonnet perfectly placed to impale pedestrians. For safety reasons, this was removed in 1959.

The 203 was pretty much indestructible. It shone in rallys in Australia which drove impressive sales for several years. Despite being woefully underpowered, once having got its speed up to 60mph, it would tend to stay at that speed indefinitely.

Many of the roads we used the 203 on were really just places where wheels had worn the grass away, so when it rained, there was mud and a likelihood of getting stuck. I don't know if Peugeot's engineering people chose to design for getting unstuck, but the column gear change layout facilitated unbogging. First and reverse gears were placed opposite each other, allowing the driver to rapidly rock the car between forward and backward motion. This typically would get us out of the mess quite quickly. It was a four speed box, so 2nd and 3rd were opposite each other, and 4th was out on its own. This worked well, since 4th gear was very long, and would only be used at the top end of the 203's speed range. This contributed to its impressive fuel economy. For most driving, it was essentially a three speed box.

Another quirk was the sharing of hinges for the doors. Thus, the front doors opened at the leading edge. Ease of entry and egress was an advantage, however, if a door was opened while moving, the stream of air tended to pull it open all the way. Hanging onto the door was a bad idea.

So, yes, the 203 gets my vote!

Great story I like it :) It's fun to hear about this things :) and thanks for voting :)

Back