PGA / LPGA / personal golf

• Thread starter Nicksfix
  • 978 comments
This is the worst coverage of a Ryder Cup I've ever seen. There is NO hype. Cameras didn't even capture Spieth's hole-out. What is going on in Italy? Sheesh.

edit: Glad I'm not alone...

Does everyone get the same feed? I’ve found it to be fine on Sky Sports but I haven’t had it on all day so I may have missed some bad sections.

Much closer in the afternoon fourballs. Fitzpatrick and Mcilroy were close to absolutely annihilating Morrikawa and Shauffele but they’ve come back a bit.

Unbelievable final few holes in last fourballs. Eagle for Rahm to tie and Justin Rose holing a birdie putt to tie as well. USA throwing away 2 leads.

So day 1 complete, it’s Europe 6 1/2 - USA 1 1/2.

USA failing to win a single match on day 1.

Saturday morning foursomes confirmed. Europe unsurprisingly making no changes to their pairs. USA swap in Thomas and Spieth for Fowler and Morrikawa and Koepka replaces Burns alongside Scheffler.

Saturday morning foursomes confirmed. Europe unsurprisingly making no changes to their pairs. USA swap in Thomas and Spieth for Fowler and Morrikawa and Koepka replaces Burns alongside Scheffler.

What it should have been yesterday, even though JT and Spieth are still stinking it up. Ryder Cup has no more swag. I'd rather watch Taylormade vs Callaway or something. The Team USA golfers are playing like it's an inconvenience for them to be there.

First match done. Hovland and Aberg beat Koepka and Scheffler 9&7. Biggest foursomes victory margin ever.

First match done. Hovland and Aberg beat Koepka and Scheffler 9&7. Biggest foursomes victory margin ever.
What's worse... being Koepka and Scheffler or the Denver Broncos? :lol:

The back 9 of JT/Spieth vs Fleetwood Mac was the first actually good part of the tournament so far. Dunno was Tommy was thinking with that last putt off the fringe. Dude roasted it. Also, the long rough out there is giving me PTSD from all the balls I've lost in plain sight when the grounds crew can't cut the rough in the summer (too wet for the mowers).

Foursomes done, Europe 9 1/2 - USA 2 1/2. USA need one hell of an afternoon session otherwise tomorrow will be a fruitless exercise for them.

Saturday Foursomes results.

Saturday Afternoon fourballs.

Day 2 done, USA have fought back well with some great matches being played out. Winning 3 of the 4 fourballs.

Europe 10 1/2 - USA 5 1/2

Europe are the Ryder Cup champions! 16.5 - 11.5.

Spirited fight from the Americans in the singles matches.

It’s been a bit of a ride for the off season in professional golf.

The big news was of course Jon Rahm switching to the LIV Tour, at an estimated value of $400m. This was somewhat of a U-Turn for Rahm who had previously spoken out against LIV golf.

The fear was this would open the floodgates for other high profile stars, with rumours of Rickie Fowler, Tony Finau, Tyrrell Hatton and others joining, none of which has yet come to fruition with the biggest name expected to make the move next being 2023 US Open champion, Wyndham Clarke.

This also prompted Rory McIlroy to seemingly accept that it’s part of golf now and the professional game will need to evolve. He admitted that he was too harsh on those who left initially and accepts that more will. Another U-Turn but, unlikely Rahm, less surprising. Rory was on the PGA TOUR players board and was clearly being used to front the attacks on LIV, something that very clearly affected his game and his mental health, since stepping away from that role he has been much more open and honest about it which is refreshing to see.

Tiger Woods is stepping up his return, aiming for one tournament per month this season, it’s unknown exactly which ones he will play, but he’s looking pretty strong and his swing has adapted nicely to his new range of movement.

He also left Nike, after 27 years, he spent his entire professional golf career with the brand, who also lost Jason Day to Malbon golf clothing. It is as yet unconfirmed who he will be partnered with going forward, with rumours of a Tiger Woods brand under TaylorMades banner and more recently pictured holding Travis Matthew gear. Wherever he goes, the respective company can expect a huge influx of interest.

The new signature events format for the PGA TOUR steps up a gear this season, with 8 signature events featuring higher purses ($20m), more FedEx Cup points on offer and new formats. The 3 player hosted events will feature 36 hole cuts and slightly high winning prize percentage. The other 5 are limited field events with no cut. Featuring 70-80 players.

The events are:
The Sentry @ Kapalua - Won by Chris Kirk
AT&T Pebble Beach Pro Am
The Genesis Invitational
Arnold Palmer Invitational
RBC Heritage @ Harbour Town Golf Links
Wells Fargo Championship @ Quail Hollow
The Memorial Tournament @ Muirfield
Travelers Championship @ TPC River Highlands

The majors:
The Masters - April 11-14
PGA Championship @ Valhalla - May 16-19
US Open @ Pinehurst no.2 - June 13-16
The 152nd Open @ Royal Troon - July 18-21

Other notable events:
The Players Championship - March 14-17
Genesis Scottish Open - July 11-14
Olympics @ Le Golf National - August 1-4
FedEx Play Offs - August 15-25
Tour Championship - August 29-September 1

In the LPGA, main events to watch for:
The Chevron Championship - April 18-21
US Women’s Open @ Lancaster CC - May 30-June 2
Women’s PGA Championship @ Sahalee CC - June 20-23
The Amundi Evian Championship - July 11-14
AIG Women’s Open @ St Andrews Old Course - August 22-25
The Solheim Cup - September 13-15

And finally the European Tour key events:
Irish Open @ Royal County Down - September 12-15
BMW PGA Championship @ Wentworth - September 19-22
DP World Tour Championship - November 14-17

Tyrrell Hatton has become the latest high profile name to join LIV golf, joining Jon Rahm's team, Legion XIII. Adrian Meronk has also moved across and will join the The Cleeks.

These moves have pushed into the strongest belief that a deal will be struck between the PGA TOUR, DP World Tour and PIF sooner rather than later, and Rory believes it has to happen for the sake of the competitive game now, clearest indication yet that he has accepted where the modern game is heading and further proves how blindly the PGA TOUR were leading him whilst on the players board and being used as their poster boy.

I find it a shame that so much attention will be put on Rory "changing his tune" without thinking about the circumstances that have led to this position. Everything the PGA TOUR asked of him, putting him in the firing line or reporters and questions about LIV and PIF, before effectively going behind his and everyone else's, backs to strike a deal. He quits the board and has been able to voice his own thoughts and opinions without needing to be contained by Jay Monaghan's leash.

Either way, players are fed up, fans are fed up, something needs to happen soon.

Almost hit my first ace today. Got it within a yard from off the tee at 165ish.

So close. I've never been that close, best I've done I think was about 12 foot from the pin on a 145y par 3.

Going to get fitted for some new irons tomorrow (hopefully). Cobra one lengths just not doing it for me and based on a swing analysis at another retailer, I'm in the wrong shafts and everything as well.

IMG_2811.jpeg

😁

I walloped a 5 hybrid dead straight. Frankly, I couldn't believe it. Loving those yellow Kirkland balls lol. I went back to my Apex irons, too, after using the Cleveland Halos (with midsize grips) for a while. I've been striping drives since I went back to Midsize Plus4s from my Jumbomax XLs. Need to put the plus4s on the rest of my bag. If I hit the Cleveland short irons and wedges a little fat, they would just bounce off the turf and wind up clipping the ball thin. It was really hard to get good strike feedback. The Apexs, on the other hand, will just go through the turf. Even if approach shots haven't been perfect, they've been much better than the other set.

The One Lengths are attractive in theory, but I was listening to Ed the Golf Sensei guy on youtube and he mentioned that one length would be great if we could drive the ball 300 yards. Most people just don't have the strength and clubhead speed to make the clubs work, though. Bryson only went to One Length because it was the only way he could gap his irons appropriately.

Good luck with the fitting-- let us know what you wind up with!

Last edited:
View attachment 1325517

😁

I walloped a 5 hybrid dead straight. Frankly, I couldn't believe it. Loving those yellow Kirkland balls lol. I went back to my Apex irons, too, after using the Cleveland Halos (with midsize grips) for a while. I've been striping drives since I went back to Midsize Plus4s from my Jumbomax XLs. Need to put the plus4s on the rest of my bag. If I hit the Cleveland short irons and wedges a little fat, they would just bounce off the turf and wind up clipping the ball thin. It was really hard to get good strike feedback. The Apexs, on the other hand, will just go through the turf. Even if approach shots haven't been perfect, they've been much better than the other set.

The One Lengths are attractive in theory, but I was listening to Ed the Golf Sensei guy on youtube and he mentioned that one length would be great if we could drive the ball 300 yards. Most people just don't have the strength and clubhead speed to make the clubs work, though. Bryson only went to One Length because it was the only way he could gap his irons appropriately.

Good luck with the fitting-- let us know what you wind up with!
Had a great time at the fitting, the pro at my club is a genuinely nice guy, which helps make me feel a lot more comfortable and able to hit my best shots.

We went through a lot, naturally started out with my clubs. Then went though:

Callaway Paradym Ai smoke
TaylorMade Stealth
TaylorMade P790
Srixon ZX5
Cobra Darkspeed
Callaway Paradym High Launch
Cobra T-Rail (for a laugh)

My clubs are regular steel shafts, off the shelf one length Cobras. So we tried a few different shafts across the clubs as well. With my irons I was carrying around 125y average, 133 with roll out, 93mph ball speed (with a 100mph outlier) and quite a wide dispersion.

Everything felt good in comparison aside from the T-Rails (literally hybrids, just for lols) and the Cobra DarkSpeed irons, which surprised me as I was expecting those to feel powerful, but they felt a bit too light and couldn't feel where the head was and didn't give me any confidence. The P790s were tricky to hit consistently and lost a lot of distance with them, the Srixons felt okay, didn't blow me away and didn't get good numbers.

So we narrowed it down to the Callaway Paradym Ai Smoke and the TaylorMade Stealths, both showed huge gains vs my Cobras so it was clear there would be a purchase. Hit 12 balls with each with my Cobras in between and when we crunched the numbers and discussed feel, the Callaway Ai Smoke was a clear winner. Gained 15 yards of carry, from 125 to just under 150, ball speed went from averaging 93mph to 104mph (including an absolute 110mph rocket which carried 159y), but importantly the dispersion was tight and it allowed me to hit my shot shape incredibly consistently. Nice soft fade every time.

For context on consistency, out of the 12 shots I hit with my Cobras we had to get rid of 8 shots which were poor, and then 4 with the Stealths, with the Callaways, they were all on the money, the one outlier we removed was the 110mph/159y hit.

So, solid numbers in hand, massive gains in every area, easy decision and the Callaway Paradym Ai Smoke set has been ordered, 4 iron to pitching wedge, True Temper Elevate 85 stiff shafts and Lampkin Cross grips with 1 layer of tape. Should be ready to collect next week and I'm very excited.

Last edited:
Wait, it was just an iron fitting and you didn't explore gaps? That's rather odd. I would have liked to at least hit the highest and lowest lofted clubs in addition to the 6/7. Anyway, welcome to the Cally club lol.

Wait, it was just an iron fitting and you didn't explore gaps? That's rather odd. I would have liked to at least hit the highest and lowest lofted clubs in addition to the 6/7. Anyway, welcome to the Cally club lol.
Yeah, from what I've read and understand, only hitting the 7 iron is standard practice unless you go to a specific manufacturer fitting say or manufacturer center.

With so many shaft options, lie options and what not, makes sense that they'd just throw behind the 7 iron and then they can focus everything else instead of having to buy full or half sets with every option. I'm sure once the clubs arrive though we'll do a gapping session on the sim. Will be interesting to compare to my outgoing Cobra one irons.

I only say that because the Callaway game improvement irons since the Epics have been super loft-jacked. If you're getting an extra 15 yards of carry, make sure you're comparing apples to apples because the 7-iron, for example, would be the equivalent of a Mizuno 6-iron. Even my CF19 Apexes are one club stronger than my other Titleist AP2s (Apex 8i is a Titelist 7i).

I'm not a huge fan of the giant "AI SMOKE" lettering on the clubhead, but otherwise those irons have such a classic look they'll never appear dated. That's the one thing I love most about all my Callaway clubs-- once you clean them up they look brand new. I still don't understand how people have used clubs on ebay with SO MANY dings and dents all over the soles, etc.

I only say that because the Callaway game improvement irons since the Epics have been super loft-jacked. If you're getting an extra 15 yards of carry, make sure you're comparing apples to apples because the 7-iron, for example, would be the equivalent of a Mizuno 6-iron. Even my CF19 Apexes are one club stronger than my other Titleist AP2s (Apex 8i is a Titelist 7i).

I'm not a huge fan of the giant "AI SMOKE" lettering on the clubhead, but otherwise those irons have such a classic look they'll never appear dated. That's the one thing I love most about all my Callaway clubs-- once you clean them up they look brand new. I still don't understand how people have used clubs on ebay with SO MANY dings and dents all over the soles, etc.
Yeah I made sure to check the lofts so I was confident in the gains, my Cobra 7 was pretty strong already at 29 and the Callaway Smoke is 28. So pretty comparable and the distance gain was definitely beyond what 1 degree would offer. Interestingly the Cobra DarkSpeed was 27 and I couldn't carry it as far as the Callaway or the Stealth (also 28).

You're not wrong about the looks though, very nice looking iron indeed, the DarkSpeed and Stealth look very chunky behind the ball and scream game improvement from behind, the Smoke is very classy looking and doesn't look as chunky at address, but still confidence inspiring compared to say the Srixon ZX5 or the TM P790.

On the subject of looks as well, the DarkSpeed will look pretty rough after not much time, the demo 7 iron hasn't been there long and the kind of, anthracite grey finish they have was already coming off the sole and face and it looks decidedly second hand. Out on a course with sand and dirt and cleaning it'll look even worse.

I have a black finish wedge (“tour grey” PM Grind) and I love how it’s worn over the years. The sole has a sweet silver fade. Not sure I’d like that on all my irons though. Polished silver always looks pretty good because you can take some Flitz polish or even barkeepers friend and get it good as new. The Taylormade matte finishes are a pain in the ass to restore and never look new again after you wear through it

I have a black finish wedge (“tour grey” PM Grind) and I love how it’s worn over the years. The sole has a sweet silver fade. Not sure I’d like that on all my irons though. Polished silver always looks pretty good because you can take some Flitz polish or even barkeepers friend and get it good as new. The Taylormade matte finishes are a pain in the ass to restore and never look new again after you wear through it
Yeah I don't think I mind it so much on wedges, they get battered around more than any other club so they ways get rough quickly. I had some black ones which ended their life grey. Typically I'm not one for coloured irons, I know TaylorMade reckon they've nailed black finishes on the P770 and P790 but time will tell.

I would however, game these in a heartbeat.
https___hypebeast.com_image_2023_12_mizuno-masters-edition-pro-241-irons-japan-release-date-3.jpg
https___hypebeast.com_image_2023_12_mizuno-masters-edition-pro-241-irons-japan-release-date-1.jpg
https___hypebeast.com_image_2023_12_mizuno-masters-edition-pro-241-irons-japan-release-date-4.jpg

They came into the club yesterday so went a picked them up today and trade my Cobras. They are beautiful and I cannot wait to get out on course with them.

20240210_170020.jpg
20240210_170026.jpg

He said to play a few rounds with them, get comfortable with them and then we'll do a gapping session through the bag. I anticipate I'll be adding a wedge between the PW and my 56 as there's a 14 degree gap there but we'll see.

I have a matching 5 iron that I picked up used but like new from PGA Superstore for like $20. My Apex set was 6-AW. But they have Callaway-exclusive 95g Project X LZ shafts, which feel awesome, and they're +1 inch over standard length. The 5 iron feels like shorter than standard and comes with this ultra light Elevate shaft. Feels like swinging a straw-- a real no-go. Since you can't even get full length PX LZ 95g shafts, and the closest ones are 115g, I looked at options for just buying one of those and transplanting the 5i head onto it. They want crazy money. Instead, I found a 3-iron for 20 bucks, which is the correct length LZ shaft for a set-matching 5i.

s-l1600.webp

Only problem is now it looks like it's in such good shape that I feel bad about taking it apart :lol:. I at least have to go hit some awful 3-iron shots before I get over it. I have to change the grip, too. I bought it from some thrift shop ebay store and the grip smells like powerfully foul pipe tobacco. It's also that lime green camo Winn grip which is hideous. Mizuno irons are so handsome, even the old ones. Glad I now own one.

Last edited:
I have a matching 5 iron that I picked up used but like new from PGA Superstore for like $20. My Apex set was 6-AW. But they have Callaway-exclusive 95g Project X LZ shafts, which feel awesome, and they're +1 inch over standard length. The 5 iron feels like shorter than standard and comes with this ultra light Elevate shaft. Feels like swinging a straw-- a real no-go. Since you can't even get full length PX LZ 95g shafts, and the closest ones are 115g, I looked at options for just buying one of those and transplanting the 5i head onto it. They want crazy money. Instead, I found a 3-iron for 20 bucks, which is the correct length LZ shaft for a set-matching 5i.

s-l1600.webp

Only problem is now it looks like it's in such good shape that I feel bad about taking it apart :lol:. I at least have to go hit some awful 3-iron shots before I get over it. I have to change the grip, too. I bought it from some thrift shop ebay store and the grip smells like powerfully foul pipe tobacco. It's also that lime green camo Winn grip which is hideous. Mizuno irons are so handsome, even the old ones. Glad I now own one.
Very nice, I've hit my brother-in-laws Mizunos a few times and they do feel and look fantastic. Interesting you mention the Elevate, I have TT Elevate 85 mph in my Callaways, 85g.

So I realized that my package of Tour Velvet grips actually came with tapes and solvent. I decided to be ambitious and remove that nasty grip from the Mizuno and re-grip my clubs myself. The Winn grip came off easily and I put the tape on and slide the grip on, no-sweat. Easy-peesy. I decided that since that one was so easy I'd just do all my Apex CF19s that have the jumbomax grips on them. Well, let me tell you, never buy Jumbomax grips. The EVA was practically cemented to the tape. Took all my might to peel it off before I decided that I would need to cut them down both sides and take half off at a time. I had to use my linesman pliers to peel the foam away from the taped shaft. By that point my razor blade practically stopped cutting the stuff. I had to be so careful not to cut the crap out of myself. When I finally finished the first Apex, I realized that the white slippery part was just the covering for the other side of the tape. !!! That's why the first Mizuno one slid on so nice :lol:. I tried like hell to undo the Apex. Eventually I shoved a chopstick in there to get more solvent down the middle and I was able to muscle it off. What a moron I was. I didn't even try to undo the Mizuno. I figure that club feels secure enough and if anything it's just like it's got an extra wrap. :lol:

I decided to just continue the jumbomax-ectomy after rectifying that tape mishap. For the next two clubs I took off the thick PU wrapping that was over the foam core before attacking the foam. That didn't help much, but at least I could see what I was cutting by that point. On the last two clubs, I decided to switch out the blade for a fresh one before I had an accident after coming so far. Wouldn't you know it, but the new blade cut through those bastards like nothing. I still needed pliers to peel them off, but at least I was past the point where I had to worry about seriously injuring myself.

I left the Jumbomax grips on my PM Grind wedges. I really never hit full shots with those, anyway. Will probably see about getting some other new or new old stock wedges with some different grinds now that the next product cycle is here.

Another interesting thing I discovered is that the Callaway-exclusive Project X LZ 5.5 "95" shafts are really just LZ 115s in the same flex. Under the grip and sticker at the base of the shaft is True Temper's laser code that says USA115. Glad I don't have to worry about the Mizuno in 115 not being a matching shaft weight, lol. A more unfortunate discovery was that all my irons are standard length cuts with +1 inch extensions grafted on. I would have hoped that, coming from Callaway's official pre-owned store, they would have been cut to length or pulled from two clubs up to get the extra length. I'm kinda glad that I did my own grips because the cuts were just roughly chop-sawed and a few weren't even round nor cut evenly. I had to use my file kit and deburring tools to give them nice flat, clean chamfered edges.

All's well that ends well, though. I can actually fit my irons in my bag now. The Jumbomax XL experiment is officially over!

IMG_2983.jpeg

Last edited:
Took the bag out to the range today. My god, I can actually hit my irons now! I'm used to looking up when I hit a ball, but now I'm actually having to crane my neck. I feel like my clubhead speed went way up and the ball is just LAUNCHED with my scoring irons. Felt like I could never hit the Jumbomax clubs with any power or I would shank or block-slice every time, so I used to always play dinks and runners like I was on a windy day in Scotland. This should change up my game considerably. I need to go to the range with Top Tracer next to see what my gaps actually are.

Oh, and I think I'll be losing the Mizuno 3 iron. :lol: It's a marvelous club and I felt like I could actually shape the ball somewhat compared to my hybrids. It was the first time I hit a draw and a fade while actually trying. Most of the balls I hit had so much topspin, however, that they just dove back into the ground and shot off. Those clubs are hard to hit man. :lol:

Last edited:
So I realized that my package of Tour Velvet grips actually came with tapes and solvent. I decided to be ambitious and remove that nasty grip from the Mizuno and re-grip my clubs myself. The Winn grip came off easily and I put the tape on and slide the grip on, no-sweat. Easy-peesy. I decided that since that one was so easy I'd just do all my Apex CF19s that have the jumbomax grips on them. Well, let me tell you, never buy Jumbomax grips. The EVA was practically cemented to the tape. Took all my might to peel it off before I decided that I would need to cut them down both sides and take half off at a time. I had to use my linesman pliers to peel the foam away from the taped shaft. By that point my razor blade practically stopped cutting the stuff. I had to be so careful not to cut the crap out of myself. When I finally finished the first Apex, I realized that the white slippery part was just the covering for the other side of the tape. !!! That's why the first Mizuno one slid on so nice :lol:. I tried like hell to undo the Apex. Eventually I shoved a chopstick in there to get more solvent down the middle and I was able to muscle it off. What a moron I was. I didn't even try to undo the Mizuno. I figure that club feels secure enough and if anything it's just like it's got an extra wrap. :lol:

I decided to just continue the jumbomax-ectomy after rectifying that tape mishap. For the next two clubs I took off the thick PU wrapping that was over the foam core before attacking the foam. That didn't help much, but at least I could see what I was cutting by that point. On the last two clubs, I decided to switch out the blade for a fresh one before I had an accident after coming so far. Wouldn't you know it, but the new blade cut through those bastards like nothing. I still needed pliers to peel them off, but at least I was past the point where I had to worry about seriously injuring myself.

I left the Jumbomax grips on my PM Grind wedges. I really never hit full shots with those, anyway. Will probably see about getting some other new or new old stock wedges with some different grinds now that the next product cycle is here.

Another interesting thing I discovered is that the Callaway-exclusive Project X LZ 5.5 "95" shafts are really just LZ 115s in the same flex. Under the grip and sticker at the base of the shaft is True Temper's laser code that says USA115. Glad I don't have to worry about the Mizuno in 115 not being a matching shaft weight, lol. A more unfortunate discovery was that all my irons are standard length cuts with +1 inch extensions grafted on. I would have hoped that, coming from Callaway's official pre-owned store, they would have been cut to length or pulled from two clubs up to get the extra length. I'm kinda glad that I did my own grips because the cuts were just roughly chop-sawed and a few weren't even round nor cut evenly. I had to use my file kit and deburring tools to give them nice flat, clean chamfered edges.

All's well that ends well, though. I can actually fit my irons in my bag now. The Jumbomax XL experiment is officially over!

View attachment 1328243
Props for persevering, nothing more frustrating than hitting some bumps on a job like that once you've committed. Were the JumboMax grips a preference or any particular reason behind them? They're such unique grips.
Took the bag out to the range today. My god, I can actually hit my irons now! I'm used to looking up when I hit a ball, but now I'm actually having to crane my neck. I feel like my clubhead speed went way up and the ball is just LAUNCHED with my scoring irons. Felt like I could never hit the Jumbomax clubs with any power or I would shank or block-slice every time, so I used to always play dinks and runners like I was on a windy day in Scotland. This should change up my game considerably. I need to go to the range with Top Tracer next to see what my gaps actually are.

Oh, and I think I'll be losing the Mizuno 3 iron. :lol: It's a marvelous club and I felt like I could actually shape the ball somewhat compared to my hybrids. It was the first time I hit a draw and a fade while actually trying. Most of the balls I hit had so much topspin, however, that they just dove back into the ground and shot off. Those clubs are hard to hit man. :lol:
Nice when the work pays off. 👌 I hear you with 3 irons, granted my Cobra 3 utility was a chunky boy, had a graphite shaft and just wasn't the right spec for my swing, but it was difficult to hit. First time in a long time I felt more comfortable with a hybrid. Had no qualms about ditching that 3 iron, admittedly the Paradym Smoke 4 iron is the same loft but as it's specced properly for me, it felt so lot easier to hit on the range.

Which is so far the only place I've been able to hit my irons so far. My course has been closed for over a week due to wet weather waterlogging it, and it's tough to splash out playing a different course when I have just spent a lot of money on new clubs. However, despite less than optimal balls and my immense dislike for hitting off range mats, the new irons felt very, very nice indeed. Hit a few duff shots as I got used to hitting with variable length irons again after using one length but it came back pretty quickly.

When I was learning how to play, the guy that ran the clinics at one of the local ranges casually mentioned that I could probably go with larger grips when I got my clubs. I was using one of his irons first the first month or so. Because I wear a 3XL golf glove, I figured the bigger the grips the better. :lol: Then Bryson and Jumbomax became a thing so I figured I'd try them. I didn't know any better. I could never really hit them well, then I figured it was because of my right hand so I tried the non-tapered jumbos on a few of them. I actually got my Titleist irons because some huge guy in New Jersey had them on ebay with a whole bunch of the JMX STR8 non-tapered grips which were hard to find and almost as expensive as his whole ebay listing. He also sold me my gamer putter because all his stuff was +1 inch. You can't exactly find 36 inch Evnrolls, and they stopped making the center shafted ones as well.

But, anyway, after buying a few hybrids that still had normal grips, I noticed that I was all of a sudden missing left instead of blocking everything. At that point I knew the grips were the problem. I was looking for a set of irons for my mom and stumbled upon my Cleveland halos used for a great price. They're the same length as my Apexes but with the midsize (and quite heavy) GP tour wrap rubber grips. I like those irons, but they're a senior flex and a bit light. The soles on each club are massive, too, so while it's great for CG I found it really hard to strike the ball into the ground and take divots. They would bounce up and into the ball if I didn't clip them perfectly. The set included 3 wedges, too, which have awful grinds (not really any grind, lol) and were really hard to play because they'd dig or shank and you couldn't open them up without making it worse.

Latest Posts

Back