Photo stitching panoramas in MC:LA

• Thread starter CWR
  • 14 comments

CWR

CWR63
CWR63
I got the idea from the Forza 3 galleries (people were doing it back in Forza 2 and GT as well) - turns out it's not as easy with MC:LA; the camera resets every time you take a picture. Since photos are only saved online you are limited to 16 panes for your panorama - unless you took your 16, DLed them w/o turning off your game (still paused in photo mode) and then took some more...even I'm not that insane. [Edit: I have been that insane since I wrote that.]

If nobody else decides to try doing this as well, it'll mean that I'm the only one doing it. That's right, I'll be the only person on the internet who's doing something that no one else is doing - I'll be THE HIGHLANDER! so just, try it, okay? I'm just not that into the drama...

Here is a miserable 9 shot stitch:

stitch-01-1200.jpg

Full size versions of all these are here:

http://cwrudy.deviantart.com

I worked away at it, and managed to make the 6 pic fisheye work, sorta. It took a lotta work and still doesn't look all that great, but I didn't give up. Yay me.

Fesler-6-pane-fisheye-Panorama1200.jpg

This one worked better because it's only 3 shots stitched together and not such a wide angle:

BC-3-pane-Panorama1.jpg

This is a 1920x1200 desktop made up of 4 pics taken with the default lens (not zoomed either way) - not very good composition...

BC-4-pane-Panorama1.jpg

This one I'm most proud of - another 1920x1200 desktop made of 9 pics and pretty seamless; even like the composition okay:

BC-9-pane-Desktop1.jpg

Wait 'til I get a chance to do this with a properly staged shot - these were just from a quick race to test the concept :dopey:

This was an ultimate attempt of 15 barely overlapping shots - the good one above had large amounts of overlap, keeping it from getting too fisheyed; not this one. The link is to a large version (at 1200 pixels high it's still less than half size of the original) suitable for cropping to a desktop or two. Now I need to work on finding an interesting shot before I start this laborious process...

RT-15-pane-stitch-1200.jpg

So this is an even more ultimate 16 pane stitch with lotsa overlap - 4x4 arrangement.

Chromeo-16-pane-1200.jpg

It really looked like it wasn't going to work for a while - these last 2 were done manually BTW - my graphic program's stitch function couldn't handle so many panes...

If you flash your headlights as you pause for photomode in the Riviera or any other quad headlight car in the game, it lights 'em all up, just like in RL...now if they had just got the driving lights to glow properly on this car...

Rivi-16-pane-1200.jpg

I wanted to try a zoomed out shot without the extreme perspective - it took a lot of warping and masking, but here's a 16 pane shot at The Crossroads of the World (you may remember it from the movie "The Adventures of Ford Fairlane").

XRiv16pane1200.jpg

I re-worked my first successful stitch with what I've learned since, and extended the crop as far as I could (previously I had cropped it to the proportions for a widescreen desktop).

BC-9-pane-Panorama-764.jpg

This one took a lot of manipulation, made from 15 panes (5 high by 3 wide):

DT-Riv-15-pane-764.jpg

I'm showin' the process this time: here's raw image of 9 pics -

P51-3x3-pre.jpg

After photo manipulation, before cropping:

P51-3x3-pre2.jpg

And the final:

P51-3x3-01-764.jpg

Full size (3524x1964) version at my DeviantArt page:

http://cwrudy.deviantart.com/#/d2rad0v

I'm breaking it down even more - here's 16 pics arranged as a grid; this is how it showed up in my gallery @ the Rockstar Social Club. It took 2 hours to take these shots (the camera resets after each shot, plus I decided to take the pictures in reverse order from the lower right so that this is how it was displayed in the online gallery):

P51-4x4-01-pre1-764.jpg

Here's with the overlap but no rotation or anything:

P51-4x4-01-pre2-764.jpg

With rotation but no distortion:

P51-4x4-01-pre3-764.jpg

Almost there:

P51-4x4-01-pre4-764.jpg

The final:

P51-4x4-01-764.jpg

Full-size version here:

http://cwrudy.deviantart.com/art/backing-out-at-the-last-moment-166896096

Here's a bunch of P-51 shots - I am now officially tired of this car

This looks simple (2x2) but it was a real monster, taking a lot of work:

P51-2x2-c500k.jpg

I put less effort into this one, just leaving flaws in the background - but it's the only stitch that shows the car from the front:

P51-2x2-b500k.jpg

Another 2x2, all 3 of these 2x2 stitches were only partially zoomed in (in order to get the whole car in only 4 pics) and it shows with more misaligned camera angles - but this one was waaayyy off; luckily I was able to make it look like a dogleg in the wall:

P51-2x2-a500k.jpg

This is a different angle on the first shot with the cop (that's his tailight on the right) 2 shots wide by 3 high - because of the small amount of camera angle change that entails it took very little work to finish:

P51-2x3-01-500k.jpg

All are available full-size on my DeviantArt page:

I'm going to try for more exciting chase shots, now that I seem to have the technique down. :scared:

Along with everyone else I suspect, but racetrack backgrounds are not as interesting, photographically. Also, there are some real masters of this in Forza and even GT4 - the combo of almost too easy, no livery editor (that we've heard of) and being up against those with better photography/composition skills will likely keep my career as a GT5 photo stitcher short. I am Gameflying GT5P, so I'll see what I can do with that...mebbe I'm wrong about this...

...and as I'm sure everyone but me knew, that there's no photomode in GT5P =[

Last edited:
This is my first stitch from MC:LA using the PS3 version. The pics are larger (1920x1080) but very washed out and grainy compared to the smaller (1280x720) X-box pics from the same game - the file size is scarcely larger for all that. The PS3 is running HDMI and the 360 is component, but they both export pics through the same ethernet cable to R* social club - literally, I unplugged it from my 360 and into the PS3. Is it the HDMI vs component? Or PS3 vs 360? Because of their large size, this is only 2x2 pics.

If folks like this pic mebbe I'll be bothered to correct the saturation/contrast problems...although it does lend it somewhat of a pastel rendering feel.

Pastel artists are, of course, mad for vehicular accident action scenes...

Ps3-Z-2x2-01-764.jpg

Available full-size on my DeviantArt page:

The R* social club page keeps saying that I need the FlashPlayer plugin to view my info, I already have that plugin, of course - concerned...:scared:

Last edited:
Christ, top stuff there! Those panoramas look fantastic, as much as you don't seem like you like the wide angle (fisheye) effect, I kind of like it.

Thanks! It's not that I don't like the fisheye effect, it's just a *bear* to do, and once it's finished all I can see are the flaws :crazy:

This is my first stitch in the PS3 version of MC:LA after figuring out to restrict my display settings to 720P max to prevent it from upscaling to 1080I - which makes it look like suck.
The less the camera deviates from the horizon line in elevation, the less distortion is present, and the easier the stitch.
Also did some post work to punch up the contrast and saturation :sly:

buzzbomb-3x4-1570x666.jpg

I'm not sure I'm going to invest $20 in component cables to see if their analog nature furthers the anti-aliasing and vividness to 360 standards...I could just post the pics from the 360 - both consoles' versions of MC:LA are exactly the same otherwise after all. :irked:

Actually made 4 more 2x2 stitches using my 360, with my new design, Primary (that black upper color is really a dark blue).

primary-4x4-D-764.jpg

primary-4x4-C-764.jpg

primary-4x4-B-764.jpg

primary-4x4-A-764.jpg

:mischievous:

Back to the PS3 while I wait for "that other racing game" to be delivered by snail mail from Amazon. A new design for the P-51 Mustang on the 1970 Boss 302, rated 0.00 - that's right, no ratings :crazy: :

KingDeath-2x2-half.jpg

KingDeath-3x2-quarter.jpg

Full-size versions at DeviantArt as ever.

Back