Photographic aspects are underappreciated

• Thread starter nojoke48
  • 26 comments
NoJoke48
As a 69 yr. old veteran of all the GT games (I started videogaming late in life, LOL) and now a professional photographer (NYC Press Corps, NIKE and USA Basketball, NYFW . . . ) I find that the high resolution and meticulous adherence to details make the cars wonderful subjects to photograph, both in race replays and the SCAPE mode. The SCAPE sites were obviously chosen by people who know and love photography. I find myself creating custom races simply to see certain cars in race mode. Fellow photographers have seen some of my car photos on Instagram (abelisle) and thought they were real. In addition, the photo mode is an excellent for amateur photographers to hone their skills.

I also appreciate the graphic quality of the cars on Forza 7 but GT Sport allows you to directly upload to the major social media sites, something Forza ought to think about. In summary, for those who are complaining about content, check the photo modes out. You might just improve your camera skills. Peugeot.jpg

I used to do photography back in my University days, and I absolutely agree, the photographic elements in this game are obscenely comprehensive. More so than any video game I've ever tried.

It's not just the scapes, the vehicles etc, but the sheer breadth of options. I mean, there's basically a miniature Lightroom and Photoshop built in. Lens distortion, vignetting, individual colour masking, colour swaps, grading, chromatic aberration, contrast, levels, positioning, orientation, highlights, shadows, black point, white balance, effects, post processing, hell just about everything. You could literally spend hours upon hours taking shots.

I used to do photography back in my University days, and I absolutely agree, the photographic elements in this game are obscenely comprehensive. More so than any video game I've ever tried.

It's not just the scapes, the vehicles etc, but the sheer breadth of options. I mean, there's basically a miniature Lightroom and Photoshop built in. Lens distortion, vignetting, individual colour masking, colour swaps, grading, chromatic aberration, contrast, levels, positioning, orientation, highlights, shadows, black point, white balance, effects, post processing, hell just about everything. You could literally spend hours upon hours taking shots.

I do :ill:
I love all the polish and amazing detail in this game. Look at the angles and sense of speed you can get. It also has a powerful 800mm lens. The lighting and masking options built in game after you set up the composition are so good I still am working my way through them.
Replay

Scape
2 mask layers and I adjusted the car filter (reduced). You can make a photo so different to how you want. :drool:

Look at the detail of the grass Zoomed in on Scapes.

Last edited:
I do :ill:
I love all the polish and amazing detail in this game. Look at the angles and sense of speed you can get. It also has a powerful 800mm lens. The lighting and masking options built in game after you set up the composition are so good I still am working my way through them.
Replay

Scape
2 mask layers and I adjusted the car filter (reduced). You can make a photo so different to how you want. :drool:

Look at the detail of the grass Zoomed in on Scapes.
These are excellent examples of what I was talking about. You clearly know your stuff!

I'm running GT Sport on an Eizo screen for the moment. I'm also impressed, it looks gorgeous.
Only have time to look when I go off track:
E.g. I have the impression they made the grass more realistic then before. I do not really understand the priority, but graphically it is impressive.

I find that the high resolution and meticulous adherence to details make the cars wonderful subjects to photograph, both in race replays and the SCAPE mode.
Not just the cars in my opinion but also the landscapes (with a few exceptions).
I was amazed when I saw how real the water looks for instance.
I took this photo of one of the lakes (with some improvements made in Photoshop).

full

I'm also impressed with how Polyphony has modelled the airplanes, helicopters and blimps.
This blimp for instance (also some Photoshop work done).

full

When compared to the blimp over the Nurburg castle in Project CARS 2, PD's one is a
masterpiece. The one in Project CARS 2 looks to be something that could be found in the
original PlayStation from the mid-nineties. Very block-y.

I've also started to grow fond of the 'Painting' filter.
Here's one I took using that filter.

full

Last edited:
May I just ask what settings/effects you used to create this photo? I'm struggling with getting the tires to look realistic, they keep having this unrealistic glossy sheen to it in my photos. :confused:

Hi @Supermelon Usually a cloudy day helps, as does getting the shutter speed right even if you have to use 1/125 to slow the motion down and try not get the sun direct on the tires if you can help it. You can also reduce the glare if you need to in settings under glare (this also helps with any headlight rays) and then go to individual settings and play around with high lights and contrast. I think that was about it, just trial and error as I am still learning how they all work. Post your photo up and I can have a look at what you mean exactly :cheers:.

Nice to see the appreciation of photo mode in GT:S by real photographers!

I haven't really started with it yet to be honest, been focusing on career mode the most.

I like the scapes and all of the photo options. It's neat how they included all of the camera settings, but sometimes the photographs used for the background don't blend well with the 3D car model. In some pictures the car blends in very well but in others the car really sticks out and doesn't feel like it's a part of the picture (The scape with the cows in the field comes to mind).

I'm a photographer too (mainly in motorsport and auto) and I agree, it can help people understand how to put a good shot together, obviously the only skill it can't teach is 1/5-1/15 panning as that's something you need to practice in the flesh.

And that's so rewarding when you get it right. :cool:

May I just ask what settings/effects you used to create this photo? I'm struggling with getting the tires to look realistic, they keep having this unrealistic glossy sheen to it in my photos. :confused:

Since the car and the background are different rendering, I do tend to go and apply filters separately to both of them (there is an "exclude car" filter for the background"), then adapt the level of application of the filter, till they blend in better.

Specifically for the above: EV down and then a filter in effect which brings the detail back can work.

I'm a photographer too (mainly in motorsport and auto) and I agree, it can help people understand how to put a good shot together,

I'm not convinced that people that have not used tools like "Adobe Lightroom" will get into the above, unless some people push them a little.

Would you agree? : the GTS option of warmth giving more blue or red, is not the ideal. I do want to add yellow for warmer feeling (like the golden hour)?

Anyway, there is a lot to play with, might not be the workflow you follow as photographer, but there are possibilities that impress.

As a 69 yr. old veteran of all the GT games (I started videogaming late in life, LOL) and now a professional photographer (NYC Press Corps, NIKE and USA Basketball, NYFW . . . ) I find that the high resolution and meticulous adherence to details make the cars wonderful subjects to photograph, both in race replays and the SCAPE mode. The SCAPE sites were obviously chosen by people who know and love photography. I find myself creating custom races simply to see certain cars in race mode. Fellow photographers have seen some of my car photos on Instagram (abelisle) and thought they were real. In addition, the photo mode is an excellent for amateur photographers to hone their skills.

I also appreciate the graphic quality of the cars on Forza 7 but GT Sport allows you to directly upload to the major social media sites, something Forza ought to think about. In summary, for those who are complaining about content, check the photo modes out. You might just improve your camera skills.View attachment 683789

I would strongly advise against using the direct upload tools for GTS photo's, as the images captured that way lack a lot of the detail you get if you use the export tool within GTS.

https://www.gtplanet.net/forum/thre...of-scapes-and-photomode.361458/#post-11982716

I'm not convinced that people that have not used tools like "Adobe Lightroom" will get into the above, unless some people push them a little.

Would you agree? : the GTS option of warmth giving more blue or red, is not the ideal. I do want to add yellow for warmer feeling (like the golden hour)?

Anyway, there is a lot to play with, might not be the workflow you follow as photographer, but there are possibilities that impress.

You say this, yet there's absolute magicians like Paul-Henri Cahier and Ranier Schlegelmilch who do absolutely zero editing, but, other than the odd freaks of nature, I'd say Lightroom is an essential these days, it literally is the modern equivalent of a dark room, especially if you're going into sports = you need to be able to get your headline shot out within 15mins-1hr of a chequered flag.

As for the warmth, I recommend post-processing outside of GT to fix that if GT doesn't facilitate it.

Last edited:
... absolute magicians like Paul-Henri Cahier and Ranier Schlegelmilch who do absolutely zero editing...

I did see someone set up a shot for a travel magazine.
Weeks up front, deciding who/what should be there.
Day upfront, looking at best light and setting up the scene.
On the day getting everyone in position and taking 2 shots.
=> that kind of photography is very little camera usage; actually did this (a bit shorter) in GT6, with jumps on rally tracks

Even in action there can be a "no editing" approach, set camera to jpg, set white balance right, shoot an Olympic event, put it on a news website within minutes. On the other hand you see the Leica street photographer, taking 1700 pictures to keep 2 since the others do not have the expression expected. I'd rather edit some a bit to bring something out.

I was just saying that the "effects" in GT Sport might not be used by people that do not have the habit in photography to do this.

=> that kind of photography is very little camera usage; actually did this (a bit shorter) in GT6, with jumps on rally tracks

Even in action there can be a "no editing" approach, set camera to jpg, set white balance right, shoot an Olympic event, put it on a news website within minutes. On the other hand you see the Leica street photographer, taking 1700 pictures to keep 2 since the others do not have the expression expected. I'd rather edit some a bit to bring something out.

I was just saying that the "effects" in GT Sport might not be used by people that do not have the habit in photography to do this.

Yes. This is very true. When I shot for NIKE, the upload times were fast and we had to get it "right" in camera. Hardly any editing at all.

We're possibly on about two different things here, Paul-Henri Cahier does everything in JPEG Fine and uploads unedited shots like this:

Hulkenberg_2017_Monaco_02_PHC.jpg

Vettel_2017_Monaco_08_PHC.jpg

Sainz_2017_Monaco_04_PHC.jpg

Compare that to the likes of Darren Heath who need a ton of photoshop + shots from two other photographers.

Totally agree. I've had so much fun in Scapes and photomode. I'm so impressed with the 3 layers of adjustments and how much fine tuning one can do with colour. I find I race for a bit, get caught up in photo'ing.... for about 45 minutes.. then maybe a bit more racing.
It's so robust. Love the panning shots in scapes.
Loving it, hoping for more scapes at some point too... granted I've gone through only about half of the images so far.

I think an entire game should be based on this, called gran truisms! It accurately depicts the solemnity of driving a car and hatches the mind to a place that harkens back to the infalllable stage of youth, once squandered by the ages of abuses and miscreants. A game that could inspire a novel written for the ages. Compelling this game would be, take a picture, place the car, take another picture. So silent, devoid of sound effect, sepia staging for that classic look

Back