Pirates of the caribbean: dead man's chest

  • Thread starter Thread starter 555
  • 36 comments
  • 1,628 views

555

Messages
686
My review:

I dont have to bother with the plot do i?? Ok, well put simply Jack Sparrow is "cursed" and has to find the dead mans chest. There you are, i've saved you 2hours 30 mins! :)

Only kidding, this film is great! Look at it like Mummy Returns compared to The Mummy, its more of the same, which for me & most people id imagine is a good thing. You have to ask alot of people to find someone who didnt like Jack Sparrow, but if your one of these few then i'd stay clear. If your human tho then you will lap this up.

I'll start with the good things. Well Johnny Depp is brilliant as Jack Sparrow, he's simply hilarious. Keira is lovely, gorgeous, lovely & gorgeous. And everyone else returns and plays there parts brilliantly, all the suport cast including McKenzie Crook & his friend, with alot more to do this time. Then theres the new people, Bill Nighy (if unrecognisable under all the CGi) is good to watch (although i thought he sounded like that one in Dr Who a few weeks ago). Stellan Sarsgaad is the best of a new bunch IMO, he plays a good part in it & even under some weird make-up you can see some emotion shine through. It really is that actors that make this i think. To my recolection there was more funny 1 liners in this than before.

Then the bad things, well there is a fair bit bad about it. Its far to long 151mins!! the first one was 10 mins shorter than this & managed to work much better, but i also dont really know what could be cut. Orlando Bloom is in it far to much & Keira Knightley is in it far to little, i think they mad up for her being in the 1st one more than Bloom. Also Johnny isnt in it enough, although sometimes his, well whatever he does, gets a little tiresome after a while, but his lines dont, Sparrow is very funny. The action isnt that good, its perfectly pass-able, but not up to Bruckheimer standard. Oh and the squids were nicked from a film called Deep Rising & it was done much better in that too. And the ending is a bit annoying. Think "to be concluded" on Matrix Reloaded and you've got the idea. Oh and the CGi is a lil ropey in places.

It sounds like i didnt like it from all those criticsms, but i really did. As a comedy this is utterly brilliant. As a action adventure pirate movie, its not so good.

Oh and whatever you do, please stay till after the credits, its brilliant, those that staid (about 15 people) applauded this lil snippit it was soo funny.

Johnny - 9/10
Keira - 9/10
Orlando - 5/10
Action - 5/10
Comedy - 9/10
SFX - 7/10
After credits bit - 10/10
I think over-all its got to be an 8/10. its just so enjoyable. If you liked Curse of the black pearl, i see no reason why you wont like this.


I could list so many funny bits, but here was my fav line. (when there looking at a recked ship)
Will - it dosent look like much
Jack - neither do you.

Oh and Jack the human kebab. Classic!
 
I went to see it yesterday night with my eye patch, and it was a great film. Seriously if anyone reading this has not seen it yet, get down to your closest cinema and go watch it.

So damn good and funny.
 
I hate Orlando Bloom (Sorry, stick to Legolas), but Jack Sparrow has to be Johnny Depp's best film role ever. He's just so perfect for the part, and it shows in the movie. The best thing about this movie, perhaps, is that there's going to be another one! Hahahaha. Props to the "Plunder Brothers"; They really did a good job together. Keira was good, too. She was looking pretty hot in the bucaneer getup. Though, she's rather bug-like. Preying-Mantis Knightly.
 
Sting
So damn good and funny.
I almost totally disagree. We saw POTC2 this weekend, and unfortunately the producers and writers followed the normal Hollywood sequel structure on Dead Man's Chest - make the second movie bigger, louder, longer, and about half as good.

POTC1 was good - tight, fun, smart, and moved at a decent clip. The leads all developed and the villain was legitimately interesting. On the other hand, POTC2 has managed to amplify every single one of the first movie's weaknesses, while simultaneously discarding nearly all of the original's strengths.

All of the main performances are solid. I don't think Orlando Bloom is miscast; I like him as a painfully earnest but confident young man. It was interesting to see Keira Knightly using her femininity as a tool and a strength, rather than simply ignoring it when it is inconvenient. Unfortunately, the ham-handed sequencing, overblown visuals, and overwrought storyline forced Johnny Depp to abandon any sense of subtlety and depth he brought to the first version of Jack Sparrow, since it would have been trampled into the mud by the overbearing ACTION of the movie.

I was originally very surprised to see Jerry Bruckheimer's name on the first POTC (never saw it in theatres; only long after on DVD) because in the first movie, for all of its swashbuckling, the action wasn't over the top. It managed to leave room for characters, plot, and dialog. All that was dumped overboard in the name of self-one-upmanship for the second movie, much to the film's great loss.

Unfortunately, with POTC3 already well underway and filming beginning within weeks, I don't think that the POTC crew will redeem themselves the way the Indiana Jones crew did with The Last Crusade. When they wrote and produced IJ3, they really took a lot of time to analyze the mistakes of the second movie and recapture the marvels of the first movie, and the results really show. I just don't forsee that happening on the Pirates set.
 
I thought the action was much worse in this one. It was less Bruckheimer than the first film. I couldnt disagree wit you more Duke. IMO this was much less a Bruckheimer film than the 1st. If i hadn't seen his name at the end, i would've thought they forgot to get him back for the this film.

I dont really understand people that liked the 1st pirates & not this one?? Surely if you can enjoy the 1st you can enjoy the 2nd?

Am being harrassed into seeing this again (by my mum! lol). Will this be the 3rd film i've seen twice at the cinema?? Only time will tell.
 
I though it was good. The storyline was okay, the action is good, but mainly comedic.

I think the biggest annoyance for this movie was the end. I like it when movies leave it open for a sequel, regardless whether they're making one or not, I dislike when the ending is not an end at all, meaning you've basically spent your money on half a movie. Yay. Well atleast keira will get a nice cheque from it :rolleyes:
 
555
I thought the action was much worse in this one. It was less Bruckheimer than the first film. I couldnt disagree wit you more Duke. IMO this was much less a Bruckheimer film than the 1st. If i hadn't seen his name at the end, i would've thought they forgot to get him back for the this film.
The second movie (certainly the second half of it) just seemed like a non-stop overdone action sequence that did nothing for the story. That's exactly what Bruckheimer is famous for. He's the Tim Burton of action movies - all big outlandish visuals and no plot. Mission(s) Impossible, anyone?

The entire cannibals scene - which was really long - could have been cut right out of the movie with no loss. In fact it might have been better since it would have been at least 10 minutes shorter. And there was waaaaaay too much slapstick in POTC2. Did you read my comments above?

It's easy to not like the second POTC movie when you did like the first one - The Black Pearl is analagous to Star Wars IV-VI; Dead Man's Chest is analagous to Star Wars I-III.
 
Duke
It's easy to not like the second POTC movie when you did like the first one - The Black Pearl is analagous to Star Wars IV-VI; Dead Man's Chest is analagous to Star Wars I-III.

Damn! I was hoping to like this one. But after a phrase like that, how could it be possible? You just had to break out the big guns didn't you?
 
I thought this film kicked ass! Saw it last Saturday and it was awsome. Well worth the £14 it cost to get there and get in.
 
/\ Agreed. I thought it was a good flick. You can listen to all the usual boring hype of critics and your best friend saying...."its not as good as the first.." blah blah blah, I thought it matched the first movie. Very entertaining and Keira is still not returning my phone calls either :grumpy: hehe. Can't wait for the 3rd one!

Jerome
 
danoff
Damn! I was hoping to like this one. But after a phrase like that, how could it be possible? You just had to break out the big guns didn't you?
It's still worth seeing, and it has its moments. But it succumbs (in a big way) to the Sequel Trap of constantly trying to outdo itself. You'll see.
 
So... we're talking Ocean's Twelve here? Okay, in a brains-off way but, for all it tries, not as good as the original (and I use "original" loosely for Ocean's Eleven) which, though enjoyable enough, doesn't exactly stand up to close scrutiny either?
 
I really enjoyed the film, and i would advise you saw it if you liked the first. I felt strangely turned on by Kiera's acting in a couple of places, she did the scenes with Depp very well. The acting was good, (as said) Depp was great and the others were also good. I didn't think Bloom performed badly.

However it isn't without its flaws, many of which have already been stated. I didn't like how many of the jokes from the first film were rehashed in the second and the action really was a bit off. The whole fighting on the rolling wheel thing was a touch silly. They really over did the giant squid, it was a bit like Jaws: "Oh don't go in the boat, you'll get done by the thing". The squid is quite fun to watch though and the closing seconds of Depp's battle with it was cool.

I felt a little cheated with the ending, but i know it's leading to another sequel so can't really complain. Just a bit sudden: Here's a "dead" guy, he knows how to drive boats and stuff, end.

Overal it was good. I would like to watch it again when DVD time comes around.
 
Anyone who has a sense of humour should like this film. As an action/adventure film its not that good. But its so funny.

Cut the cannibal stuff?? Yes they could do, but then you'd miss some of the funniest visual gags (the human kebab, classic). And the scene after credits would be pointless.

Oh and Duke, where did you get the Mission Impossibles from with regards to Bruckheimer?? He had nothing to do with any of them
 
The dumbest part of the entire movie had to be when Bloom snagged the key. I mean, what were the writers thinking? That had to be the most boring "suspense-moment" I've ever seen in a movie, ever.
 
I agree, that was a cack bit of suspense. Why couldnt he have just snapped Orlando's neck & left us with Johnny & Keira! :sly:
 
I saw this movie last night. I absolutely love it!
 
Omnis
The dumbest part of the entire movie had to be when Bloom snagged the key. I mean, what were the writers thinking? That had to be the most boring "suspense-moment" I've ever seen in a movie, ever.

LOL Entirely true he had half DJ's face on two pencils & he could swap the key for a roll of newspaper. That had to be the scrpting commitees best luncheon.

What detracted heavily from this movie for me was that the ending turns the 150minute flick into a prequel for pirates III, a 'lost raiders' ploy if ever.
 
Dead Man's Chest was at least as good as Curse Of The Black Pearl, if not better. Don't start regarding the first movie as some cinematic art masterpiece. It was big, loud, crass, obnoxious, gross and just about everything else the second one is. Bruckheimer make a sequel to his own movie bigger and louder? Impossible.

Anyway, Pirates 2 is so far the best movie if the summer, far surpassing Superman in terms of good ol' fun. But don't come looking for more than that, except for Depp's acting, which is spot on.

P.S. was it just me or did everyone else find Kiera to be especially oogly in this film? Apparently she was wearing a wig / extensions for the movie because of her Domino haircut, but she looked bloated and gross.
 
Great take by Duke. 👍

I've seen the first one in the theater, and own it on DVD. But I thought the movie was just good enough not to pXss you off, which in turn pXssed me off, because I thought the movie was going to be a lot better. :D I will be looking forward to seeing this movie, but on a rental DVD.

Omnis
but Jack Sparrow has to be Johnny Depp's best film role ever.
This is a big slap in the face of Depp and all his fans. He is a much better actor than that! Seriously, I think this Jack Sparrow is the most overrated role as far as I can remember.
 
My mum is worlds biggest Johnny Depp fan & she absolutely loves him in Pirates. People i love or loathe Depp in this part & he likes doing the part, so i see no problem.
 
I loved it. Caught on my vacation.


*Possible Spoiler*



But my issue is that it pretty much tells you, "OH! Sparrow is Alive!" Of course, we all know he will, he's Cpt. Jack Sparrow! But it still would have been nice to give some suspense.

Maybe I'm twisted, but it actually would have been surprising to see Jack die. But the writers would have had going out fighting. Idk, I just don't like the fact it told he's alive, he's just at the end of the world, and you can save him.

I thought they should have given this away in the beginning of the 3rd so people could go, "Wtf? They can find him? Cool, maybe this will be worth it."

But that's just me.
 
I saw this today and I loved it. Definitel more of the same in general, it had a darker tone I thought but it was a cracking film. Not as good as the original but I rarely expect a sequel to be, but better than anything new I've seen this year that's for certain.

Definite spoiler.



I think the bigger twist was that captain Barbosa was there at the end. I think it was common knowledge that he was a live since Depp had already confirmed that he was doing the third film. But I do agree that it should have been more subtle than the way it was done in the film.f
 
SPOILERS IN THIS POST​

I have to agree with Duke on this one. I was halfway through the movie looking at my watch, wondering when it would end, which it didn't.

Afterwards I asked my wife what she thought and she said, "It was awful." We both loved the first one.

To sum this movie up: running, fighting, running, fighting, running and fighting, throw in some jokes, fighting, running.

We were distracted from the plot with side stories, no characters could be developed because they basically had three separate stories.

It felt as if they tried ripping off Empire Strikes Back. The villains get the upper hand at the start and send the heroes running and then a betrayal leads to the "death" of a hero and we get a big surprise at the end and the remnant of our hero gang needing to go save the "dead" hero.

The difference is that the story didn't stop. We still have the main storyline moving along. If it had ended with everyone being depressed or having some sort of funeral for Jack then it would have created closure. Start the third movie with the revelation that you can sail to the end of the world and save the dead.
 
Ok so i was stupid enough to not watch the bit during the credits. What happened?
 
Spoiler.


It was just brought to my attention that the locket that sent Davy Jones to sleep was the same as the locket that was on Tia Dalma's table in the scene where Jack steals the ring Barbosa wore in the first film. Tia Dalma is too young to have been the woman Davy Jones fell in love with, but perhaps it was her mother, and Tia is Davy Jones daughter.

Also, in the same scene when Jack s with Tia Dalma, you can see Barbosa's legs resting up from another roon, where the monkey runs to when they let him out. The theory I agree with is that in that scene, Barbosa is dead, and Tia brought him bac to life between that scene and the last one, and that is why Barbosa is the only person who's been where Jack is.
 
The bit after the credits dosen't really work when told what happens. It's more just daft/clever. But if you want to know

SPOILER DO NOT READ!





Remember the dog on the island, well he is sitting where Jack was. He is the new king!
 
I thought it was somewhat decent but they fell into the 2 immideate sequel trap. Pretty much relying on the thrid installment to tie up any and all storyline loose ends. Man that's annoying.

OF course, Johnny was a trip and the rest o the supporting cast was good as well. But as Duke said, the was just too much action. The Cracken was cool, and davy jones himself wasn't bad either. But my fiancee actually left the the theatre not knowing which of the funky characters was Davy Jones.
 
How'd she manage that??

I must have something in my brain that has to disagree with people when it comes to action sequences. There wasn't to much action, the film was just generally to long, no film should be more than 2 hours really. But the action in this was definately worse than the 1st film.

That bullet time bit at the end was soooo not needed.
 
It was too long, but I have nothing against 2 hour + films, provided that they are good enough to be 2 hour + films.
 
Back