Pirelli Reveals New F1 Tire Compounds for 2018

Yeah good job. Give them even more grippier tyres so that the lap records fall even more so you can say "hey F1 is not getting slower look at the lap records". On some of the tracks it was even quite hard this year to crack the lap record and that is compared to cars which were build OVER 10 years ago. Some Lap recods were from 2004-2008. But now with the Hypersoft tyres that should be easier. And when a true F1 Fan is complaining about the Speed and Sound then we know which answer we will get "look at the incredible lap times"...

The biggest mistake FIA made was to forbid the Re-fueling in the race. And after that they continued doing mistakes step by step. Good job :cheers: continue destroying this amazing sport.

Yeah good job. Give them even more grippier tyres so that the lap records fall even more so you can say "hey F1 is not getting slower look at the lap records". On some of the tracks it was even quite hard this year to crack the lap record and that is compared to cars which were build OVER 10 years ago. Some Lap recods were from 2004-2008. But now with the Hypersoft tyres that should be easier. And when a true F1 Fan is complaining about the Speed and Sound then we know which answer we will get "look at the incredible lap times"...

10 years ago they weren't doing those laps with 1.6L engines, that's a hell of a technological advance if you look at it. If the cars were allowed to attain any lap time they wanted then you'd have a handful of tracks in the world that were safe enough for the drivers to go at those speeds or for spectators (who finance the sport) to watch them.

I'm a true F1 fan (at least I'd say so) and I have no complaints about the speed although I still think the cars are a bit too loud. I want to see the most efficient machines they can make - if they're pissing sound into the sky then they've got some way to go.

The biggest mistake FIA made was to forbid the Re-fueling in the race. And after that they continued doing mistakes step by step. Good job :cheers: continue destroying this amazing sport.

Completely agree.

Pit stops just seems so pointless compared to the days when they had to refuel.

F1 of 10+ years back was all about racing.

F1 today is all about endurance racing and saving fuel, saving tyres. Then they slap on crap like DRS and KERS for more overtaking to make it seem as if they are actually racing. There just isn't anything left of the pure pedal to the metal all out racing going as hard as you can mentally that made the sport so popular...

I agree entirely. Soft, medium, hard. Maybe a special qualifying compound. None of this "super" and "hyper" rubbish!

There will be only 3 compounds available for each race. As the tracks vary greatly, it’s a good thing to have 3 compounds fitting each track rather than races without any pit stops.

Why can't we just have 3 compounds? Soft, medium and hard. Why do we need 20 that don't get used anyway? And the names....just why...?

Because those three compounds couldn't be viable at all tracks unless the range of strength was very wide and you just used a single compound per track.

10 years ago they weren't doing those laps with 1.6L engines, that's a hell of a technological advance if you look at it. If the cars were allowed to attain any lap time they wanted then you'd have a handful of tracks in the world that were safe enough for the drivers to go at those speeds or for spectators (who finance the sport) to watch them.

I'm a true F1 fan (at least I'd say so) and I have no complaints about the speed although I still think the cars are a bit too loud. I want to see the most efficient machines they can make - if they're pissing sound into the sky then they've got some way to go.

You want to see the most efficient machine they can make? I thought you are a true F1 fan? Formula 1 is the TOP of ALL motorsports! It ALWAYS has to lead. If F1 starts to make "endurance" races like "R9NALD9" said in his post then the other classes of motorsport will suffer from this. Seriously when they began with all these stupid rules there was a time where Formula Renault 3.5 was more F1 like then F1 itself. I get your point but cant believe that you are saying that as a true F1 fan...

Completely agree.

F1 today is all about endurance racing and saving fuel, saving tyres. Then they slap on crap like DRS and KERS for more overtaking to make it seem as if they are actually racing. There just isn't anything left of the pure pedal to the metal all out racing going as hard as you can mentally that made the sport so popular...

Exactly right mate. The MOST RIDICULOUS thing ever was 2 years ago when they said they will change the aero rules to make overtaking and especially following other cars more easy. The funny thing is that it never was harder then now. The cars cant follow each other its so hard. Back in the V8/V10 era some people were complaining about this but if you compare today to the past then it was much easier 10 years ago. And they said they want to limit the budget etc. It only leads to bigger companies to win. Mercedes has so much experience/knowledge and money you cant make them slower with these rules. It will only make the smaller teams slower because they dont have the same technological advantage like the bigger teams. Back then with Re-fueling. teams like Toyota (they werent in the Top 3) could go into Qualy very light with fueling and get P1. And in the Race they had to pit after 8-10 laps. But that was a gambling sometimes it paid off sometimes it didnt. What should the smaller teams do today ? Hamilton reached 350kmh on the Start/Finish straight in Brazil and 340 on the 2nd straight. Iam a Mercedes fan dont get me wrong but these stupid rules destroyed F1. Now its the question who will be 3th because 3th is the new 1st.

You want to see the most efficient machine they can make? I thought you are a true F1 fan? Formula 1 is the TOP of ALL motorsports! It ALWAYS has to lead.

How are you defining "efficient"? To me your reply seemed confused. F1 cars should be the fastest sportscars in existence and the most efficient.

Exactly right mate. The MOST RIDICULOUS thing ever was 2 years ago when they said they will change the aero rules to make overtaking and especially following other cars more easy. The funny thing is that it never was harder then now. The cars cant follow each other its so hard. Back in the V8/V10 era some people were complaining about this but if you compare today to the past then it was much easier 10 years ago. And they said they want to limit the budget etc. It only leads to bigger companies to win. Mercedes has so much experience/knowledge and money you cant make them slower with these rules. It will only make the smaller teams slower because they dont have the same technological advantage like the bigger teams. Back then with Re-fueling. teams like Toyota (they werent in the Top 3) could go into Qualy very light with fueling and get P1. And in the Race they had to pit after 8-10 laps. But that was a gambling sometimes it paid off sometimes it didnt. What should the smaller teams do today ? Hamilton reached 350kmh on the Start/Finish straight in Brazil and 340 on the 2nd straight. Iam a Mercedes fan dont get me wrong but these stupid rules destroyed F1. Now its the question who will be 3th because 3th is the new 1st.

EXACTLY !!! The performance difference is much more skewed these days compared to 10 years back. People complained about Ferrari's and Schumi's dominance but 2004 was arguably the only year they had a gap close to what Mercedes has enjoyed the past 4 years. I remember clearly how Webber put a Jaguar on pole. And many times one of the minor teams managed crazy results in quali or race purely because of great strategy etc.

Would give anything to go back to the 90's version or early 00's of F1.

Exactly my friend exactly. Fia knows this aswell but the media plays the "3 monkeys". Its ridiculous to see it getting worse and worse every year. Back then my WHOLE weekend was committed to F1. I watch hours before Practice starts. I watched just everythind it was so entertaining and so nice. Everytime the cars flew by with over 300 i had to shake my Head because of the pure sound and pure Speed without DRS Kers or whatever. Seeing my fav driver Iceman or other awesome drivers battleing side by side. driving in slip sltream through corners pressuring the guy in front was awesome...

Exactly my friend exactly. Fia knows this aswell but the media plays the "3 monkeys". Its ridiculous to see it getting worse and worse every year. Back then my WHOLE weekend was committed to F1. I watch hours before Practice starts. I watched just everythind it was so entertaining and so nice. Everytime the cars flew by with over 300 i had to shake my Head because of the pure sound and pure Speed without DRS Kers or whatever. Seeing my fav driver Iceman or other awesome drivers battleing side by side. driving in slip sltream through corners pressuring the guy in front was awesome...

Exactly bud! I blame the British media tbh. When Mansell won 9 races in a season there were no complaints and he was hailed a hero. When Schumacher did the same the sport was slammed as boring and in need of change. Now that Hamilton, a brit, dominates for 4 years in a row...nothing. Media is dead quiet on it being boring etc. although they are losing fans by the thousands...

I'd rather see fewer compounds with a large difference between them. If you have seven compounds...lose #s 2,4, and 6. Leave a larger gap between the remaining compounds.

Ideally I'd like to see teams guaranteed X number of sets for a season (perhaps per driver) and these must be chosen before the season begins. However, teams are then allowed to select which two compounds they want to take to a race weekend (say this must be locked in a week before hand etc.). Keep it secret - where possible - from the other teams. Allow slower teams the option of running the whole season on much harder compound tires hoping for one-stop races where the faster teams are more concerned with the razor's edge of competition and will be running more softer compounds etc.

Use the new system to introduce more options in the tire strategy. Imagine teams "unveiling" their tire choices at Practice 1 at each track, etc. I haven't thought it through much but I think something akin to that would be interesting.

Completely agree.

Yeah not sure what sport you're watching but okay...refuel or tires only really doesn't change the perspective. What you're asking for is endurance tires which they don't have. If they were running the old Potenzas that could go the race distance, I could see your argument making sense. The cars burn less fuel to begin with because they're more efficient than the old tech which in reality isn't good at all. May sound awesome to some but doesn't make it better quality. KERS is part of that advancement, and it was around ten years ago too so..............

I mean as a pure F1 fan, what they've done is F1. And is racing, so I'm confused by the nostalgia in place of reality to make an argument why F1 isn't good.

Simply put, I can damn near fall asleep watching F1 races. While the championship intrigues me, I'd be better off just getting the results post-race. While Ferrari competed with Mercedes, it wasn't the two opposing cars actually battling it out at each race. It was often "Car A is better here...it wins", etc. It has been an exciting year in F1...but only judging by the poor standard of F1 racing we've become accustomed to. I actually mentally categorize it as entirely different from all the other series I watch.

It simply doesn't produce much entertainment when I watch it. However, unlike some others I don't have a nostalgic whistfulness because I don't recall it ever being particularly entertaining in my adult life. I like the drivers, and I enjoy the team-based techno-drama that unfolds each year, but from a genuine racing perspective? Ranks about lowest out of anything I watch.

So, who else is enjoying a little snicker at the idea that the boys now have a "Super Hard" and "Hyper Soft" Option? ;)

There will be only 3 compounds available for each race. As the tracks vary greatly, it’s a good thing to have 3 compounds fitting each track rather than races without any pit stops.

Because those three compounds couldn't be viable at all tracks unless the range of strength was very wide and you just used a single compound per track.

They could just call the softest of the three compounds the soft, the hardest the hard and the one in between the medium compound, regardless of which compounds Pirelli decides to be used.

They could just call the softest of the three compounds the soft, the hardest the hard and the one in between the medium compound, regardless of which compounds Pirelli decides to be used.

They did that and the explanations about which tyre was actually which was far more confusing than the system we have now where fans know exactly what compounds have been chosen as the names/colours are constant.

They did that and the explanations about which tyre was actually which was far more confusing than the system we have now where fans know exactly what compounds have been chosen as the names/colours are constant.

Maybe they could keep the current colour system to show which tyres are actually used and change the names per race. Altough i can imagine that would also be confusing to some. But having the hard as the softest and the supersoft as the hardest compound in a race doesn't really make sense to me either.

Back