Playground Games Confirms Forza Horizon 4 is Not Always-Online

Being able to play against drivatars instead of blood-crazed randos eases my concerns. I don't understand why developers are all moving to always-online anyway.

Just to help some people. If you're on PC, and considering how the past two Forza titles worked, you'll still have to connect with the Xbox App to boot the game, so you could say that, on PC, internet is required to at least start the game. If you want to have working offline permissions and be able to start playing without any connection, I would play it safe and get the Xbox version, if possible.

Just to help some people. If you're on PC, and considering how the past two Forza titles worked, you'll still have to connect with the Xbox App to boot the game, so you could say that, on PC, internet is required to at least start the game. If you want to have working offline permissions and be able to start playing without any connection, I would play it safe and get the Xbox version, if possible.
IIRC, FH3 did allow offline gameplay on PC. I think there was a glitch that prevented the game from loading past the startup screen and had to be patched .

IIRC, FH3 did allow offline gameplay on PC. I think there was a glitch that prevented the game from loading past the startup screen and had to be patched .

As far as I know, neither were patched or, at least, patched successfully. I'm still unable to start either game without a connection already in place and yes, I have offline permissions turned on for the PC I use. That's why I'm sticking to Xbox One X this time round.

As far as I know, neither were patched or, at least, patched successfully. I'm still unable to start either game without a connection already in place and yes, I have offline permissions turned on for the PC I use. That's why I'm sticking to Xbox One X this time round.
Wow. I just checked right now and I am also unable to start the game offline. Either my head is messing with me or it used to work a while ago. Damn.

Wow. I just checked right now and I am also unable to start the game offline. Either my head is messing with me or it used to work a while ago. Damn.

See? People have been complaining about it for ages and one response a guy got from Microsoft was: "Maybe we should add 'Internet connection required' to out product page". In other words, they don't intend to change that. They don't trust the PC gaming community, I guess.

Only PD thinks always online is the way to go... ugh.. :rolleyes:
Eh? The Crew? Fallout 76? EA in general?

Only Playground Games seems to get it, or at least acknowledge it.
“Always online is a problem for people,” admits principal game designer Mike Brown. “Sometimes you just don’t want to play with other people; sometimes people are just put off by the idea of having to cope with other people.”

“It comes with loads of other problems, such as your internet goes down, you can’t play. Our servers go down; you can’t play. So we solved that problem by saying that Forza Horizon 4 will not be an always-online game. As much as this is a shared-world game, and we believe it’s much better played with other people, you can totally just click a button and play the entire game in single player with Drivatars if that’s your wont.”

Back