PlayStation 4 General DiscussionPS4 

• Thread starter Sier_Pinski
  • 9,445 comments
Most ps3's are not backwards compatable though and there still selling.

Backward compatibily is a plus, not the main point. If that evil scheme is going to happen I think gamers will be split in two categories, Console Slaves and PC Rebels.

HKS racer
Backward compatibily is a plus, not the main point. If that evil scheme is going to happen I think gamers will be split in two categories, Console Slaves and PC Rebels.

I'm hoping that 2nd party hardware. I'm talking Fanatec here, will work.
I'm holding off on an elite because of this.

If there isn't backwards compatibility then I will just keep my PS3, problem solved.
But having said that I moaned and grumbled that my PS3 didn't have backwards compatibility but within a matter of days I had forgotten about it completely as the games that were released with the consoles launch more than made up for it. And it will probably be the same when the PS4 is released.

Oh and as for the rumours about not being able to play used games on the PS4, the very same rumours were flying around a year or two before the release of the PS3, and turned out to be a load of rubbish. Fingers crossed this is what's happening again.

Last edited:
I was more upset with getting the Slim PS3 with lack of backward compatible but I won't be getting rid of my PS3 for some years so I'll most likely keep my ps3 plus it won't hurt me cause I have more PS2 games not many ps1 or Ps3 games anyway

HKS racer

Your probably right. I'm leaving console gaming in almost exactly a year when I build my new computer. I see all these Steam sales on great games that my laptop just can't handle anymore and I'm forced into buying games for my Ps3 for much more. It's an expensive start up cost but I need a computer anyway and the $500+ I'd spend on a PS4 is going directly into the PC.

I think if anything the lack of used game support will strengthen pc gaming and maybe even bring down the cost of hardware.

People who know well about all this tech stuff? What do you think the PS4 is going to be able to do, if the rumours are true? (tech wise)

E28
You probably wouldn't find it online, and if you did it'd be ridiculously expensive.

Because of the second hand used market I would agree.

The proposal is however to banish the use of second hand software. Therefor the publishers would have reason to stock it or make it DLC.

If this and MS rumors will be made real, I forsee the next big game industry crash. (Where is my check?)
On PC front it is already like that to "combat piracy".
Vita has also this.

The industry want to sell their product as service and not a good anymore, and that drives me crazy.

Not surprised about the phrase "block used game support". Isn't that what everyone in the industry wants?

I don't care, really. Whatever works for both the consumer and producer. Definately don't want it to be like the PC where 90% of all people have pirated games.

Physical BC is not important and it'll raise the price of the PS4, I prefer an affordable PS4 I could buy right out of the gate, rather than wait for a price-cut

But PSN BC is important (as in games, minis, dlc and more) because, IF the rumor is true, you could not be able to play those games anymore, I know you can play them on the PS3, but being downloadable games, it should be easy to access them in the new console

@above

Most people in the industry want to banish used games, but the rumors point out some sort of pass (like the online-passes) for any game, being SP, MP or both

Physical BC is not important and it'll raise the price of the PS4, I prefer an affordable PS4 I could buy right out of the gate, rather than wait for a price-cut

But PSN BC is important (as in games, minis, dlc and more) because, IF the rumor is true, you could not be able to play those games anymore, I know you can play them on the PS3, but being downloadable games, it should be easy to access them in the new console

@above

Most people in the industry want to banish used games, but the rumors point out some sort of pass (like the online-passes) for any game, being SP, MP or both

In my country the games are sold 70€,80€. Its huge prices for a country that the most people have less than 700€salary.I know people that only buy usedgames.In past I bought used games, but now I buy my games in a place I discovered that sold new games for cheap prices, less than 25€. If Ps4 has an anti- used game system, I think many people will not buy.

In my country the games are sold 70€,80€. Its huge prices for a country that the most people have less than 700€salary.I know people that only buy usedgames.In past I bought used games, but now I buy my games in a place I discovered that sold new games for cheap prices, less than 25€. If Ps4 has an anti- used game system, I think many people will not buy.

Not only that, there are places where Internet speed is not great at all or the entire population doesn't have access to it/ can afford it, the rumor about being online all the time to play any game is even worse, heck, here I have problems with my ISP :P

And when skynet shuts down the system we cant even play a video game to unwind after a long day of blasting enemy cybergenetic robots... Thats gonna suck

New games are severely overpriced (then they charge even more through DLC) and if people don't have the choice to buy used games then I think its likely some will turn to piracy to get what they want so its only going to make things worse.

At least with used games they get the opportunity to make some money out of DLC and those stupid online passes they have created plus they might introduce the player to a new franchise that they might later go an purchase a sequel to new. Its better than getting nothing at all and people not even buying your console!

Really really haven't owned half the stuff we buy for many years now and it sucks.

Robin.

Well then! I guess I'm becoming a PC gamer. I'll get this for exclusives but other than that, not bothering.

Well then! I guess I'm becoming a PC gamer. I'll get this for exclusives but other than that, not bothering.

Time to pirate some more, eh? :sly:

I'll wait to make any decision before something is released. I waited one year before getting a PS3 anyway, consoles are way better after a while because there only is ****, **** and utter **** to choose from in the beginning.

Why people in here thinking going from console to PC = pirate. What about modding? To enjoy ALL the rFactor quality mods and tracks you probably need 3 lifes. To try all the rfactor stuff you have to be immortal.

Probably because of the ridiculous DRM that publishers put on their games to combat said piracy.

This just points out to how old that I am, but I remember when the Game Genie first came out. Nintendo actually sued Galoob, the makers of the Game Genie, in court because of Copyright Infringement. Nintendo lost that case. Ironically, Nintendo claimed that the Game Genie was creating derivative works in their games, which is infringement. The judge in the case, Fern M. Smith, declared that the Game Genie is likened to "skipping portions of a book." He also said, "Having paid Nintendo a fair return, the consumer may experiment with the product and create new variations of play, for personal enjoyment, without creating a derivative work."

Ever since that ruling, Nintendo has tried to implement what has became known as DRM on gamers everywhere.

bombe32
Time to pirate some more, eh? :sly:

Well I'll be moving to pc because I want better looking games, cheaper games, and mods. This latest rumor, if it turns out to be true, only helps make me more confident it's the right decision.

Why people in here thinking going from console to PC = pirate. What about modding? To enjoy ALL the rFactor quality mods and tracks you probably need 3 lifes. To try all the rfactor stuff you have to be immortal.

Well I'll be moving to pc because I want better looking games, cheaper games, and mods. This latest rumor, if it turns out to be true, only helps make me more confident it's the right decision.

Just kidding, that's why I put the smiley ;)

Honestly, if I thought a really good PC would be value for money I'd have gotten it a long time ago. Games might be cheaper, but for one PC it's like buying 10-15 PS3's and then you save like 15-25% per game. If you want value for money, you need to be spending big time :) That's why I feel okay with having a laptop for school work and minor games while the PS3 works as my primary entertainment at home.

But it's just a matter of preference, I guess. To get back on topic... let's wait until something's official before judging the PS4, or whatever they want to call it...

If Sony does stick to their 10-year plan, then we'd only see the Orbis/PS4 in 2017. I think that by then, the next Xbox would have released and would have a percentage of the gamers on their side. I think that the PS4 should release before or closely after the Xbox.

10 year life cycle doesn't mean they can't coexist. The PS4 will be out sooner than later with the ps3 still on the shelves.

Also there are region who only got the ps2 a few years ago (Brazil as exemple)

On the Pc front, it doesn't need to be expensive what people always think.

I bought my PC 3 years ago for 1300€ (self built, i920, 280gtx 4 bg ram)
In the 3 years I upgraded it to my likening even futher adding rams (now on 10gb), Oc the CPU (on 3.5ghz) and last year upgraded the card to a 570gtx.
And it's still a good Pc, play nearly everything on max (except Bf3 were the AA is on 8x), most games I even tweak them futher what devs give me.
Still give it 2 years and then I can change.

PS3, I rarely play it anymore (twice a months), not enough exclusives and getting old.

http://de.nachrichten.yahoo.com/blo...-um-ps4-sony-und-der-kreis-des-164313481.html

I will translate the last paragraph

Da die heißersehnte Xbox 720 für Weihnachten 2013 angekündigt ist und Sony diesmal angeblich schneller sein will als Konkurrent Microsoft, wird es nicht mehr allzu lange dauern. Manche Tech-Blogs rechnen sogar schon zum diesjährigen Weihnachtsgeschäft mit der PS4.

Since the [...] xBox 720 has been anounced for (pre-) christmas 2013, and since Sony has stated that they want to be "faster" than microsoft, it probably wont take much longer (until the release). Some Tech-Blogs expect the PS4 to be released this christmas [...]

Also, the article says Sony has already started to ship out prototypes of orbis to several developers.

Back