PlayStation 4 Update 4.50 Released: Boost Mode and External HDD Support For All

So, can you also play 3d games in cinema mode on psvr?

Not sure I'll try it tonight and report back.

Edit, tried it with Zen pinball and trine, and because I no longer have 3d tv it would not detect the 3d games so would not give me the choice. I'm assuming if you run it on a 3d tv it would work but not much reason to do that apart from playing on an virtual 120" screen in vr.

Last edited:
External HDD support.. was surprised it wasn't there at the start.. was using it for years with PS3, good to know it will come in handy! 1TB!! :)

External HDD support.. was surprised it wasn't there at the start.. was using it for years with PS3, good to know it will come in handy! 1TB!! :)

Security reasons why Sony didn't have it at launch, they want to make it excruciatingly hard to hack into the system. Sony wanted the loop closed and only opened when software is loaded, so the setup everything to ensure that sneaking in is going to take a lot of time and focus and effort. External HDD will only be recognized by the PS4 if the PS4 does the formatting of said drive, only executables can be stored there so only thing that writes to the external HDD is the PS4 alone and nothing else. You can be certain they'll be keeping a close eye on ways to circumvent the the external HDD safeguards, PS3 homebrew they'll want to avoid at all costs.

Still see that even though it went through 3 Betas there still doesn't seem to be an option to install to the external of the internal, it automatically defaults to the external after you choose it the first time, you'll have to manually disable the HDD from the storage screen. Why not allow users to have the option of the system asking if they want it to or not?

Personally I'm interested in Boost mode as I have been enjoying smoother frame rates from a lot of games that got dips and other games just run so much more smoothly.

Not sure I'll try it tonight and report back.

Edit, tried it with Zen pinball and trine, and because I no longer have 3d tv it would not detect the 3d games so would not give me the choice. I'm assuming if you run it on a 3d tv it would work but not much reason to do that apart from playing on an virtual 120" screen in vr.
Thanks for trying, I think it might be interesting feature for those who like 3d like me. Maybe they'll add it later in some next update.

Back