PlayStation 5 Devkit Uses GT Sport to Show Off New Haptic Controller

Uruguay
Uruguay
Next, a version of Gran Turismo Sport that Sony had ported over to a PS5 devkit—a devkit that on quick glance looks a lot like the one Gizmodo reported on last week. (The company refused to comment on questions about how the devkit's form factor might compare to what's being considered for the consumer product.) Driving on the border between the track and the dirt, I could feel both surfaces. Doing the same thing on the same track using a DualShock 4 on a PS4, that sensation disappeared entirely. It wasn't that the old style rumble feedback paled in comparison, it was that there was no feedback at all. User tests found that rumble feedback was too tiring to use continuously, so the released version of GT Sport simply didn't use it.

From Sony themselves: https://www.wired.com/story/exclusive-playstation-5/

This actually sounds really cool for GTS. My biggest complaint about playing on a pad is how sterile it becomes without any sort of rumble when racing on the track, so this is pretty sweet.

For now they have shown versions for PS5 of Spiderman and GT Sport.

Perhaps they are advancing a series of patches for the main PS4 games to take advantage of the PS5 features.
It would be quite good a patch for the current GTSport that allowed, in addition to using the new features of the controls, an extended drawing distance, a greater distance for the change of level of detail and perhaps remove limits to the VR mode.

I had a liiiiiittle bit of hope that analog face buttons would return but no signs so oh well. Neat stuff otherwise, I wonder if it'll keep the same shape.

So they could make Battlefield and CoD games where you can just buy multiplayer only. That sounds like a good plan. I usually hate single player in those games.

I also like that with the new PS5 pads, the developer can program different resistance levels for the Triggers.

If PD (in either the PS5 version of GTS or the next GT game) can make that adjustable from the options, that would be awesome. I find I can throttle R2 well enough, but I’d like a little more resistance on L2 as I tend to apply full brakes even on medium-speed corners, when likely a touch would be sufficient.

But if you can’t transfer your game data over then I’ll just wait until the next game.

“Theoretically this could make braking on a pad similar to using a load-cell brake kit. Players could potentially even set their own pressure thresholds to find the amount of force they’re most comfortable with.”

Interesting.
I like a lot of resistance so my DS5 controller battery will die in 15 minutes.
On the topic of control peripherals, the elephant in the room is will my Fanatec CSL have native support with the PS5?

Excellent, though I fear some people are reading too much into GT Sport being used to demo some of this stuff. I mean, yeah, obviously we will get a GT on PS5.....but just because GT Sport is being used in this context I don't think is really predictive of anything regarding a "GT7". GT Sport is visually stunning and is arguably the best racing game on PlayStation. Sony have always used the GT games at points over the years to demo various things.

My bet is still on a GT Sport successor coming during the PS5 lifecycle, but not at the console's launch. And regarding GT Sport "enhanced version"....PD have never really done those, right?....not with GT4 on PS3 and not with GT6 on PS4. I would be surprised to see an enhanced GT Sport on PS5, especially when PS4 backwards compatibility is already announced as a feature. I realize they've done some of that work for this demo so who knows, but I wonder if it is just a short demo like they do when introducing vision cars, etc. Time will tell.

I'm betting they are focusing their development resources on making the next GT game, not delivering an upscaled GT Sport to PS5. I would love to be wrong, but that's my read on this. Either way, I'm beyond excited to see what PD deliver on PS5. We all know Polyphony though, they take their sweet time with these things.

Last edited:
GT Sport will propably still getting updates a year from now, or even beyond. It will be playable on PS5 on day one because of its backward compability. I can imagine Polyphony releasing a PS5 patch with some kind of benefits (maybe native 4k or support of the new controllers features). They could even name it GT Sport Spec III. The next Gran Turismo could arrive as PS5 exclusive somewhere down the line. Maybe 1-2 years from launch.

I don't think using many tree models (new gen), as opposed to re-using the same one over and over (current gen) will "decrease" game size. I think there has been some confusion there.

No confusion. :)

I used the example of trees since they’re a common item for our genre, and linked to a recent post about procedurally-generated trees because, well, it’s recent.

(It probably could be a little clearer that they are not in fact the same thing though, so apologies!)

I don't think using many tree models (new gen), as opposed to re-using the same one over and over (current gen) will "decrease" game size. I think there has been some confusion there.

Wouldn't it still be an improvement either way? You could store 100 tree models (for arguments sake) in a space that is a fraction of the size it would take to duplicate 25 tree models a dozen times across a platter hard disk (to reduce load times). This is simply not an issue with the new SSD storage. You only need one instance of the asset. So either you end up with a reduced game size, or the dev can use that space savings for additional unique data. This is all very game design dependent, of course, but the bottom line is not having to duplicate data across the drive is an asset for developers.

Excellent, though I fear some people are reading too much into GT Sport being used to demo some of this stuff. I mean, yeah, obviously we will get a GT on PS5.....but just because GT Sport is being used in this context I don't think is really predictive of anything regarding a "GT7". GT Sport is visually stunning and is arguably the best racing game on PlayStation. Sony have always used the GT games at points over the years to demo various things.

My bet is still on a GT Sport successor coming during the PS5 lifecycle, but not at the console's launch. And regarding GT Sport "enhanced version"....PD have never really done those, right?....not with GT4 on PS3 and not with GT6 on PS4. I would be surprised to see an enhanced GT Sport on PS5, especially when PS4 backwards compatibility is already announced as a feature. I realize they've done some of that work for this demo so who knows, but I wonder if it is just a short demo like they do when introducing vision cars, etc. Time will tell.

I'm betting they are focusing their development resources on making the next GT game, not delivering an upscaled GT Sport to PS5. I would love to be wrong, but that's my read on this. Either way, I'm beyond excited to see what PD deliver on PS5. We all know Polyphony though, they take their sweet time with these things.

PS2 -> GT3 released shortly
PS3 -> GTHD cancelled, GT5P released shortly
PS4 -> GTS released mid cycle

The demo's are indicative that PD already have a build that can show off PS5 capabilities, not a new game. However them having such a working build is likely to show a game is well under way.

GTS took so long because GT6 released when the PS4 launched. PD do not have that problem. If GT7 is taking too long, then they could pull what they did with GT5: release GT7 prologue or more likely GT Sport PS5 edition.

1570551147-capture-d-ecran-2019-10-08-a-18-12-15.png

Racing flag on games.... what a coincidence ;)

No confusion. :)

I used the example of trees since they’re a common item for our genre, and linked to a recent post about procedurally-generated trees because, well, it’s recent.

(It probably could be a little clearer that they are not in fact the same thing though, so apologies!)
Ahh ok maybe I got the wrong end of the stick. Asset re-use reduces disk usage, which is what I took it as.

I'm still not sure what you mean but its cool :D

No worries :cheers:

Wouldn't it still be an improvement either way? You could store 100 tree models (for arguments sake) in a space that is a fraction of the size it would take to duplicate 25 tree models a dozen times across a platter hard disk (to reduce load times).

I get it now :P Yeah fair enough. I understand the benefits of SSDs in this scenario.

Interesting. I've always been an Xbox guy but that's about when my current xbox live subscription runs out. These new controllers might convince me to switch over to PS5 for my couch racing if supported on a new title. Also depends on what msoft and Turn 10 do. I feel like Forza has fell quite a bit behind GT Sport in terms of what they provide for online competition.

I think what he meant to refer to was the loading times in regards to how the accumulative head seek times of optical drives tend to add to loading times.

They duplicate files for quicker access times

Yup, cuts down the head seek times, but the point he's trying to make is that he thinks the SSD's eliminate that.

Matters very little to me.
I'll prolly get a PS5 when GT7 comes out and with the preferred marketed brand wheel of choice.

Theoretically this could make braking on a pad similar to using a load-cell brake kit. Players could potentially even set their own pressure thresholds to find the amount of force they’re most comfortable with.

Yeah right. We can't even set our own deadzones and gammas for pedals in GTS in order to brake without locking up. Won't happen. PD won't allow it - everybody has to have the same setup as far as they're concerned.

Yeah right. We can't even set our own deadzones and gammas for pedals in GTS in order to brake without locking up. Won't happen. PD won't allow it - everybody has to have the same setup as far as they're concerned.

Note I was talking about what the controller could possibly allow, not what devs open up (or keep limited, for that matter).

Note I was talking about what the controller could possibly allow, not what devs open up (or keep limited, for that matter).

I know, that's why I quoted the NewsWire account, and not you yourself - I know you guys do your best and then some to bring us the latest news. I'm not having a go a you at all.

If anything I'm having a go at PD. As far as I know pro racing drivers can set their cars up to suit their style, at least to a degree. Why can't we do that in GTS with respect to our particular input methods?

Anyway I'm moving off topic, so if I may, I shall bow out now.

Back