PlayStation 5 Devkit Uses GT Sport to Show Off New Haptic Controller

I know, that's why I quoted the NewsWire account, and not you yourself - I know you guys do your best and then some to bring us the latest news. I'm not having a go a you at all.

If anything I'm having a go at PD. As far as I know pro racing drivers can set their cars up to suit their style, at least to a degree. Why can't we do that in GTS with respect to our particular input methods?

Anyway I'm moving off topic, so if I may, I shall bow out now.
Because PD...

SSDs not only have lower "seek" times, but they have hugely more bandwidth. This means the actual quantity of data that can be streamed in any given time frame is also hugely increased.

So any geometry streaming will not only have very low latency, but it can be leaned on much harder to allow for a more diverse scene - i.e. by streaming in more unique models at once, not just at the drop of a hat.

How this affects on-disk storage, aside from reducing any duplication of files or through "instancing" in the hardware*, is less clear. Perhaps the game will only need to store one version of the file that suits all situations. I.e., instead of a low res file loaded in at time of need (streamed) for distant objects and a high res one for anything working the virtual camera lens a little harder, along with a few in between, you just have the one full detail item.

PD already have a true dynamic LoD solution they can surely now adapt to the new CPU architecture, given it actually has more grunt than the Cell this time, so the GPU won't be forced to choke on the polygons either, and it still has tessellation on top of this (which might also reduce the on-disk size of certain meshes if consistently deployed).

The same (/ functionally similar) could be applied to texture streaming, but it should all be virtualised using an "atlas" or several by now anyway (thanks, Rage / idTech 5 / John Carmack / et al) so the gains will be less, and not as needed in the first place.

* you don't load the same tree 25 times if it's used in a scene 25 times; you load it once and "instance" it however many times your lighting scheme will let you get away with.

I know, that's why I quoted the NewsWire account, and not you yourself - I know you guys do your best and then some to bring us the latest news. I'm not having a go a you at all.

If anything I'm having a go at PD. As far as I know pro racing drivers can set their cars up to suit their style, at least to a degree. Why can't we do that in GTS with respect to our particular input methods?

No need to do that — I didn't think you were having a go, just wanted to clarify. 👍

Matters very little to me.
I'll prolly get a PS5 when GT7 comes out and with the preferred marketed brand wheel of choice.

I'm with you on this one. If you rush out and buy a new PS5 when its released you end up paying more for a console with very few games for it. Then you have to wait another 6 months before any of your friends have the money to buy one.
Just like you have no plans on buying a PS5 Pro until GT7 is released. If that's the day it launches fine. If that's a year down the road that's fine too.

I'm with you on this one. If you rush out and buy a new PS5 when its released you end up paying more for a console with very few games for it. Then you have to wait another 6 months before any of your friends have the money to buy one.
Just like you have no plans on buying a PS5 Pro until GT7 is released. If that's the day it launches fine. If that's a year down the road that's fine too.
Knowing PD's track, It'll be a good 3 years down the road but I am fine with it.
By that time, I've had a lot of use from my G29.

I'm not sure why this is a big surprise? The PS5 is backwards compatible so you'd be able to play it anyways (the offline stuff at least) without the need for a new port.

I'm not sure why this is a big surprise? The PS5 is backwards compatible so you'd be able to play it anyways (the offline stuff at least) without the need for a new port.
This is news because it's a port with new features, not the game running on BC. Of course, this is just a test most likely but since they already have it ported, who knows if they won't try to put Ray Tracing in as well.

This kind of stuff is revolutionary for me, as I cannot use a wheel. The one thing that the controller always lacks is feedback on the limit, and feedback when the grip levels are low. With this kind of technology, I'd be able to react better to the conditions and know where the grip is.

Its has marbles already iirc.
They don't affect the handling of the car. At northern isle, they appear on the high line which is silly because the high line is the fastest way around it in most cars. Purely cosmetic.

I don't see how dynamic resistance in the triggers could ... well... do anything beneficial to driving the car...

They could, for example, make the brake trigger feel like a load cell brake pedal.
You got a point there. I'm starting to get it now... Anyway haptic feedback in the triggers is great news non the less! I can imagine playing a shooter and shooting while the trigger responds to the firing bullets, not sure how that's helpful and all, but anyway, sounds like a nice feature. Also, I guess it doesn't need to be helpful, just increasing the immersion while gaming is a great thing

You got a point there. I'm starting to get it now... Anyway haptic feedback in the triggers is great news non the less! I can imagine playing a shooter and shooting while the trigger responds to the firing bullets, not sure how that's helpful and all, but anyway, sounds like a nice feature. Also, I guess it doesn't need to be helpful, just increasing the immersion while gaming is a great thing
Xbox controllers already have trigger vibration and it's absolutely huge for driving without traction control, as you get a variable strength of vibration and can modulate your pressure on the trigger to keep the car right around the traction limit while accelerating. Using the DS4 feels like a totally numb experience when you're used to being able to feel the power causing the rear wheels to lose traction.

Last edited:
I know this is Poly, I shouldn't expect a new GT as launch title, Poly takes it time... However, I can't find another game with so many news potentially linked to the PS5.
8K, Ray Tracing, no other game this gen, seen on a devkit and special feature to showcase the new dualshock. New studios, hiring again and again, outsourcing...
August 2019 : Added recruitment of web directors and writers. http://www.polyphony.co.jp/recruit/

Writers : While committing to the development site of "Gran Turismo", you will be writing a wide range of texts, such as in-game guidance texts, online manuals, and articles on the official website "Gran Turismo.com".
Using the benefits of being in the same company where the game is being developed, we will write the text while collecting the game development status and collecting materials. At the same time, you will be asked to translate the produced text and arrange related materials (images and videos)

This reads more like the end of development rather that the beginning.

I know this is Poly, I shouldn't expect a new GT as launch title
I think what will arrive at launch will be a "PS5 enhanced" GT Sport, probably with full 4k 60fps rather than the PS4 Pro's chequerboarding, and other improvements such as the better controller feedback.

I know this is Poly, I shouldn't expect a new GT as launch title, Poly takes it time... However, I can't find another game with so many news potentially linked to the PS5.
8K, Ray Tracing, no other game this gen, seen on a devkit and special feature to showcase the new dualshock. New studios, hiring again and again, outsourcing...
August 2019 : Added recruitment of web directors and writers. http://www.polyphony.co.jp/recruit/

Writers : While committing to the development site of "Gran Turismo", you will be writing a wide range of texts, such as in-game guidance texts, online manuals, and articles on the official website "Gran Turismo.com".
Using the benefits of being in the same company where the game is being developed, we will write the text while collecting the game development status and collecting materials. At the same time, you will be asked to translate the produced text and arrange related materials (images and videos)

This reads more like the end of development rather that the beginning.

Sony is on record saying that they plan to issue patches to enhance PS4 games for PS5. That will definitely be the case for GT Sport.

.... So can we use ps4 pads or not?
Probably I guess, don't see why games would require haptic trigger feedback, so why wouldn't you be able to use a DS4 if the PS5 supports backwards compatibility?
I know the DS4 works on the PS3 when it's connect by usb cable

I don't think using many tree models (new gen), as opposed to re-using the same one over and over (current gen) will "decrease" game size. I think there has been some confusion there.
I took this more as striping the same asset into multiple different areas of the game file so that the platter + read head had less distance to move when streaming in assets. Thus creating duplicate assets and bloating the install size.

Optimization for an HDD but nonexistent issue with a SSD.

Because it would be unfair against people that don't know how to setup their cars.

Because it would be unfair against people that don't know how to setup their cars.
Partly that, but once you allow tuning, it also shifts things even more in favour of those with a huge amount of free time. For example, if there was a Nations Cups N300, I already didn't have time to test every possible car, I just had to assume that if there was a better choice out there, someone would have found it. And that's with it only taking maybe 20 minutes to get good at driving each car with its standard setup. Once you bring in tuning, that 20 minutes becomes many hours just to optimise one of the however many cars in the game can be used for N300. If there's 50 cars, say, that can be used, and it takes 3 hours to optimise each one, you're looking at 150 hours of preparation time for one race if you want to try every car, which is just far too much, people already complain that FIA takes up far too much time. It would be less of a problem to allow it for manufacturers and single car races where people would only have to optimise that one car, but even then, there's already quite a lot of testing to do before manufacturers now that they have made strategy choices more complex. If you can tune to change the balance between front and rear tyre wear, for example, that's going to take quite a lot of testing time to work out the impact of each setup over full race distance. In real life racing, they have entire teams providing this support for drivers.

I don't know how to set up my cars, but I do know that the slightest touch of the brakes in GTS will cause a total lock up if ABS is not activated. In every other sim I'm fine without ABS.

Edited to add - I'm not talking about tuning, I'm talking about pedal deadzones and limits,

I don't know how to set up my cars, but I do know that the slightest touch of the brakes in GTS will cause a total lock up if ABS is not activated. In every other sim I'm fine without ABS.

Edited to add - I'm not talking about tuning, I'm talking about pedal deadzones and limits,
Oh, okay

Back