PlayStation 5 Prices Increase Due to "Challenging Economic Conditions"

• Thread starter Famine
  • 37 comments
How come the price in the us stay the same, so all the small market should pay for the big, nice attitude here Sony. And any canadian not buying an USA version would be very dumb. I'm getting tired of super company milking up regular people to make more profit.
Have u seen this years currencies. The development of exchange rates?

Edit: ... because at least for europe its understandable. USD is holding up better.

Last edited:
Makes me sad they're making strange decisions lately, considering there's not even a PRO version. But actually, there's no point for it.
Almost two years have passed, and as an owner since day one I've had two warranty replacement consoles with faulty gpu's, and the best PS5 game to this day is Astro's Playroom, which is a small free game included with every console to show it's new technologies. Not a single game has come close to using it all this good, and the Astro's Playroom just feels passionate and with a soul. Unlike 99% of garbage in the "PS5" section in playstation store, the section with 10-30 AAA games and tons of mobile garbage. Quality control,yeeeah...

Not the least surprised.

But seeing how it’s always out of stock and whatever shipment we get sell out as fast as it arrives, it’ll probably revert to the original pricing by the time I can comfortably get my hands on one 🤷‍♂️

I will probably opt for the Series X at this point.

Makes me sad they're making strange decisions lately, considering there's not even a PRO version. But actually, there's no point for it.
Almost two years have passed, and as an owner since day one I've had two warranty replacement consoles with faulty gpu's, and the best PS5 game to this day is Astro's Playroom, which is a small free game included with every console to show it's new technologies. Not a single game has come close to using it all this good, and the Astro's Playroom just feels passionate and with a soul. Unlike 99% of garbage in the "PS5" section in playstation store, the section with 10-30 AAA games and tons of mobile garbage. Quality control,yeeeah...
Agreed.
Also, Sony kept talking about how the controller would be so revolutionary, but honestly only Astro's Playroom actually made any proper use of it.

Most games add zero features for the dualsense. Like Yakuza/Judgment games added nothing new....so I don't understand why you can't use the Dualshock 4 for them. Even GT7....the dualsense is just gimmicks, it didn't improve gameplay.

Honestly the Dualsense controller feels awful in the hand so I literally just play PS4 games on my PS5. I don't even buy PS5 games and don't plan to until they let us use Dualshock 4 for PS5 games or make a Dualsense slim which is thinner and lighter.
The price increase is also ridiculous.
Lastly, why isn't Sony making PS4 Pro's? I thought they said they would....but here in Canada I have not seen a Brand new PS4 Pro for 2 years!!! (It's the only reason I bought PS5...since I couldn't find a PS4 Pro brand new)

Also...for those without a PS5....I tell you this....the same I tell my friends.....you guys are missing out on NOTHING! The PS5 feels like a PS4 with a better graphics card and just very quiet. If it didn't play PS4 games...I wouldn't even suggest buying it.

Last edited:
Lastly, why isn't Sony making PS4 Pro's? I thought they said they would...
Production ended at the back end of 2020; there's only the base 500GB PS4 left now:

Agreed.
Also, Sony kept talking about how the controller would be so revolutionary, but honestly only Astro's Playroom actually made any proper use of it.

Most games add zero features for the dualsense. Like Yakuza/Judgment games added nothing new....so I don't understand why you can't use the Dualshock 4 for them. Even GT7....the dualsense is just gimmicks, it didn't improve gameplay.

Honestly the Dualsense controller feels awful in the hand so I literally just play PS4 games on my PS5. I don't even buy PS5 games and don't plan to until they let us use Dualshock 4 for PS5 games or make a Dualsense slim which is thinner and lighter.
The price increase is also ridiculous.
Lastly, why isn't Sony making PS4 Pro's? I thought they said they would....but here in Canada I have not seen a Brand new PS4 Pro for 2 years!!! (It's the only reason I bought PS5...since I couldn't find a PS4 Pro brand new)

Also...for those without a PS5....I tell you this....the same I tell my friends.....you guys are missing out on NOTHING! The PS5 feels like a PS4 with a better graphics card and just very quiet. If it didn't play PS4 games...I wouldn't even suggest buying it.

I’ve enjoyed the dual sense on a few games, especially GT7. Also the loading times and 60 FPS on the cross generation games is pretty substantial in my opinion. I do agree though that the lack of PS5 exclusives is pretty disappointing and I find it hard to recommend the console to most of my friends.

I'm really happy GT7 came out for Ps4. This game was pretty much my main reason for buying a PS5 and now I don't think I will. It's hard to come by and now even more expensive. I spoiled myself with a decent Gfx card during the pandemic and saw how great pc sim racing is and I'll just stick with that because PS5 is old tech now. So thanks GT7 for saving me a lot of money!

How come the price in the us stay the same, so all the small market should pay for the big, nice attitude here Sony. And any canadian not buying an USA version would be very dumb. I'm getting tired of super company milking up regular people to make more profit.
If I had to guess, I'd imagine it's in part due to the US being Sony's largest market for the PS5, but they still have to compete with Microsoft and the Xbox, so increasing prices in the US would risk them losing a significant amount of their market share to their competitors. In other countries where Sony and the PS5 have a more significant advantage, increasing the prices isn't quite as much of an overall risk (the fact that it's going up in Japan really reinforces that theory for me).

I don't doubt that current economic strains are a driving factor here in some capacity, but I don't believe that they're the only or main factor, considering that the PS5, even with the shortages, is still breaking sales records for Sony and is, as far as I can tell, still in significantly higher demand than the equally-hard-to-get Microsoft Gamecube. I could almost completely believe this reasoning if it was Microsoft saying it, given that they're getting ready to spend $70 Billion buying Activision.

Last edited:
After 2 years from the launch of the PS5, are still nowhere to be found in stores and on the internet and Sony increases the price by 10% in Europe. Congratulation Sony, people love you.

Nothing justify this, sorry Sony but **** off.
The best place to play right now is Xbox but the problem is their exclusive games, just for Forza is not enough yet to buy a Xbox console.
I have a GPU sub, stream through Edge on my Mac. Graphics aren't the full works but it's better than paying hundreds for a X or S. Connection is absolutely fine, can complete all seasonals in Forza Horizon, compete in Halo, etc.

Spare a thought for all the people here who laughed at the early adopters, I guess they will be waiting much longer for that price drop now.

Last edited:
First time I've been an early adopter and the first time its been worth it!

****** move from Sony though, they are doing a PS3 all over again, milking the customers after the success of the previous console.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm surprised they didn't raise the prices sooner honestly. If you think this is corporate greed, you're naive.

Nothing justify this, sorry Sony but **** off.
The best place to play right now is Xbox but the problem is their exclusive games, just for Forza is not enough yet to buy a Xbox console.
Nothing except, a chip shortage, shipping costs multiplying, and sky high inflation.

Just(half an hour ago) bought my PS5 Digital at $599AUD before the price hike.

Anyone in the Newcastle area, JB HiFi Kotara. At the time, they have 7 left.

At this point people should at least entertain the idea of switching to PC instead of waiting for a PS5 or Series X to become available.

I’m an early adopter and I had to jump through hoops to get my PS5 at retail price. In hindsight it really wasn’t worth the hassle.

Last edited:
At this point people should at least entertain the idea of switching to PC instead of waiting for a PS5 or Series X to become available.

I’m an early adopter and I had to jump through hoops to get my PS5 at retail price. In hindsight it really wasn’t worth the hassle.
Even with the price increase, getting a ready built PC with comparable performance is going to be more expensive. Hand-built can match if you know what you're doing. Then of course you're looking at more regular upgrading with the PC, and more compatibility checks. There's more freedom but more hassle.

This console generation has been so strange between the far slower phase out of the previous generation and raising the prices this far into the lifespan rather than the traditional price cut.

Even with the price increase, getting a ready built PC with comparable performance is going to be more expensive. Hand-built can match if you know what you're doing. Then of course you're looking at more regular upgrading with the PC, and more compatibility checks. There's more freedom but more hassle.
While the first part of your post is correct (especially with the whole bit mining thing), the second part isn't really the case. I think I paid around $1,100 for my PC in 2016 (and I'm very thankful I made the leap back than!) and I'm just now having to think about upgrading it and even than it's really only needed if I want to run new releases on higher settings or do VR. Plus with the creation of the mid-generation "pro" console this argument seems to hold even less water.

And really the only thing I would call a hassle is modding if not using some kind of manager, but mods are optional and very much self inflicted.

I bet the main reason for the price staying the same in the US vs most (all?) other markets is that it's not only the biggest but also the most contested market with at least some share going to Xbox. Seems like everywhere else Sony has it in the bag no matter what they do.

All in all the whole attitude surrounding the PS5 (and also the tail end of the PS4 generation's business decisions) reminds me of the Sony of the PS3 era. Which is to say I'm not fond of it at all. Can we start talking about PS6 now, pretty please? ;)

Back