PlayStation 5 Sales Reach 20 Million Units Worldwide

I’ll be getting one as soon as retail units are available in New Zealand.

Last edited:
I’ll be getting one as soon as retail units are available in New Zealand.
I suppose Big W AU doesn't ship to NZ? They've got another drop ''coming soon'' (PS5 console orders will be shipped by 11th July, 2022), that's if the scalpers don't get in first again.

It's been a strong start to the generation, bought mine a year ago and have been thoroughly enjoying it ever since. It's honestly what I thought the PlayStation 4 would be.

Can't wait for Gran Turismo 7!!!

Last edited:
I got a PS5 the moment Walmart (US) jumped the gun and started taking orders hours before the official launch time. After a 1 year and 7 months you should have been able to find one if you really wanted it. It was trendy to complain about not being able to find one, but even that time has come and gone.

Be nice if I could, you know, find one to buy that isn't $300 over MSRP.
Your best bet is to catch a Target restock, usually in the 5 am hour Mountain time. You'll have to buy online, but you'll pick it up at a local Target.

I suppose Big W AU doesn't ship to NZ? They've got another drop ''coming soon'' (PS5 console orders will be shipped by 11th July, 2022), that's if the scalpers don't get in first again.
Thanks for posting. I’ve stopped checking long ago. Tax time!…. but that’ll probably be too late.

When I can walk into a store & buy a PS5, like I did with PS4, PS3, PS2, & PS1.
Right now...it's just plain robbery.
Firm-Madison-Gun-ArmedRobbery.jpg

I paid $750 for mine… 😑

I will admit though that before I got my PS5 I was about to quit gaming all together because it started boring me. Now with the PS5 I’m back to my gaming marathons like when I was teenager so I guess it was kinda worth it.

The data reported by Sony should be interpreted differently. The 20 million consoles sold does not mean that there are 20 million players with the next gen console, this is the biggest problem for Sony and for video game developers. Unfortunately, whenever they are available in stores, they are out of stock within few minutes. This is because they are bought in large quantities at the Sony price and put back on the online market at double price. There are two solutions to close this bad story. 1) Each shop must sell console to only one person asking identification documents a create a database of selling customers. 2) Sony decide to sell PS5 only on official Sony sites in each country, like many others companies do for their products.

I got a PS5 the moment Walmart (US) jumped the gun and started taking orders hours before the official launch time. After a 1 year and 7 months you should have been able to find one if you really wanted it. It was trendy to complain about not being able to find one, but even that time has come and gone.
I don't know what it's like in the US but in Canada you can't walk in and just buy a PS5. It's already a lot more expensive to buy at retail prices plus you have to add in scalper prices on top of that. There's still people buying 20+ PS5s at a time and reselling them over here.

There are two solutions to close this bad story. 1) Each shop must sell console to only one person asking identification documents a create a database of selling customers. 2) Sony decide to sell PS5 only on official Sony sites in each country, like many others companies do for their products.
If Sony tried #1 stores would just laugh in their face than start deciding what other product will take over their shelf space. And while they could do #2 it would be akin to shooting themselves in the foot.

It was trendy to complain about not being able to find one, but even that time has come and gone.
Yep, in the UK it just took me following a PS5 stock checker account on Twitter for a couple of weeks before I was able to buy one at retail price from a reputable online catalogue store. It was a few days a away from a major drop at a large UK games retailer as well at that point but I decided to take the earlier option. The only drawback was having to get it as a bundle with Horizon Forbidden West and an extra controller, hardly the worst thing in the world.

In the main retail countries at least it takes a bit of effort but it's far from impossible or 3 / 4 times the price.

20 Million units sold and zero good games out for the system. I have the PS5 and honestly...the only game I enjoyed so far on PS5 was Yakuza Like A Dragon which is also on PS4 though.

But we still can’t get one for retail.

I bought my PS5 in September last year along with the Series X from the same online site in the UK and paid probably around £100 more than the retail price. For me, still well worth it considering how many games I have and very importantly, zero load times and quiet as a spider 😊
Just converting all my blu rays and DVDs to MP4 files and all going on a few San disk extreme 1 and 2 TB drives and all good to go 👌

Last edited:
Thanks for posting. I’ve stopped checking long ago. Tax time!…. but that’ll probably be too late.
It might pay to join their Inner Circle. You'll get news in advance. :)

Prices for PS5s have been dropping ever so slightly over here in Bahrain for the last 6 months or so. It used to costs well over $800-1000+ and most large retailers including local Sony stores were struggling to stock any to begin with.

Nowadays, the disc version goes for roughly around $625-690 (the official local Sony distributor were selling them for around $649 during the month of Ramadan but afterwards, they bumped it up to $712).

It's still over the MSRP prices since it's supposed to be around 222 BHD or roughly $589.

On the other hand, Xbox Series S/X are literally clogging up the storefronts since no one's buying them lol (they are quite reasonably priced too).

====
For me, it's still ain't worth it. Most exclusives on the system generally don't interest me one bit. On top of that, most of them are just cross gen titles with slightly better visuals and admittedly way nicer performance. I'll wait another year before considering even buying one

Last edited:
My parents agreed that when my ps4 dies in a few years that they would help me buy a ps5 (digital version). They're $399-$450 at Amazon/Target. I guess I should get it around the holidays b/c usually around Christmas there are huge sales going on. Downloading games would be much more simple than changing discs everytime you want to play a different game.

My parents agreed that when my ps4 dies in a few years that they would help me buy a ps5 (digital version). They're $399-$450 at Amazon/Target. I guess I should get it around the holidays b/c usually around Christmas there are huge sales going on. Downloading games would be much more simple than changing discs everytime you want to play a different game.
The only issue with the digital only version is that you are completely at the mercy of the PSN prices.

The only issue with the digital only version is that you are completely at the mercy of the PSN prices.
Oh, and they probably charge more tax don't they. Maybe I should think about this before I make my move. So you think the disc version would be better?

Where I live in the US, you still can't just go into a store (GameStop, Best Buy, Target, Walmart) and buy one. Some places will occasionally have a few, but you must buy them in a bundle with extra controllers, games, PS Plus, etc., which inflates the price. Want just the machine? Not yet.

Meanwhile, I can usually find a few Xbox Series S around in stores.

So basically, after tax and everything i'm looking at maybe around $400-$500, and that's just an estimate.

wow sure is crazy that scalpers bought 20 million of a product just to sit on it
It's crazy how some people think "scalpers" buy 20 500$ consoles just to sit on them .. They wouldn't be 700$ on facebook market place if they didn't sell in a rather quick pace.
If some one sat in them for any considerable time they risk loosing their entire investment if production randomly ramps up , and from an economic standpoint , is loosing money by not using the gains to aquire more consoles for more profit.
Also if you really wanted a ps5 , you could aquire one with very little effort for MSRP . I get emails every other month. I should really jump on that to make a few hundred to pay for gas . No shame selling a luxury item to buy a necesity.

Back