PlayStation 5 Sells 4.5 Million Units in Its First Seven Weeks on Sale

Nah, its a pretty good jump. Its just got nothing to prove that yet. Plus, large tech advancements are making smaller to the naked eye.

Remember the jump from VHS to DVD. That was insane. But DVD to bluray was more... Meh!
You're talking to someone who's been enjoying ACC on a base PS4 @ 30 fps. I'm aware that I'm in the minority when it comes to this, but increased frame rates and slightly quicker load times just aren't that exciting to me.

When Sony was talking about no load times and backwards compatibility for PS1 2 & 3, that would have been a gamechanger.

Last edited:
I WANT a PS4, but I'm just not that enamored with paying almost $600 Canadian for faster loading times and 60 fps. I get fps means a lot to some people, but not to me, at all. Faster loading times are nice....but not 2 months of car payments nice.

I'll get one when there's games. I mean, give a console a year or two and you save money on everything, including games. I'm waiting for GT, and my wife is waiting for Ratchet and Clank. Then I'll have a harder time saying no

I WANT a PS4
I thought you'd already got one of those? :mischievous:

faster loading times and 60 fps.
It's not just that, especially for racing games. The faster processing ability will allow the physics engines greater room to work with giving a generally smoother experience all around and in all weather conditions. And also allow a greater number of AI cars on track without a performance hit. But yes, it's still expensive. Although if you consider it against what a PC user might spend on just a graphics card and it then seems a bit of a bargain for a whole system.

This is for PS4 games though. Eventually there'll be games created that begin to stress the PS5 and we'll be back to where we are now - waiting for the PS6 (and the next cycle).

I thought you'd already got one of those? :mischievous:

It's not just that, especially for racing games. The faster processing ability will allow the physics engines greater room to work with giving a generally smoother experience all around and in all weather conditions. And also allow a greater number of AI cars on track without a performance hit. But yes, it's still expensive. Although if you consider it against what a PC user might spend on just a graphics card and it then seems a bit of a bargain for a whole system.

This is for PS4 games though. Eventually there'll be games created that begin to stress the PS5 and we'll be back to where we are now - waiting for the PS6 (and the next cycle).
How dare you point out my mistakes!:lol:

But yes, those are good points. I think I may get one by the fall or somewhere around there. And despite all the upgrades, for me personally it's not cost effective at the moment. Once, as you said, the PS5 starts to come into it's own with games, it'll be worth it for me. But if someone has the disposable income where that money isn't much to them, I don't blame them. I'd get one too

I have to assume most people are buying them early because of BC to PS4.

If I were to buy one right now, and I probably would if I could, backwards compatibility and cross-gen games would be why. Honestly, as a mostly PC gamer the two things I hated about my PS4 Pro were the insane loading times and 30fps limit, the PS5 solves the former entirely and sometimes the latter too. Apart from not being able to get a PS5, though, the other issue I'd have is that I've got nowhere to put one...

60 fps is literally a game changer. None of you will want to go back to 30. I seen the largest gains in fps with acc and cyberpunk, it’s not as much of a difference in games with “baked in” graphics like gts or cod but it’s still noticeable.

Last edited:
60 fps is literally a game changer. None of you will want to go back to 30. I seen the largest gains in fps with acc and cyberpunk, it’s not as much of a difference in games with “baked in” graphics like gts or cod but it’s still noticeable.
I think some will notice more than others though. For me, 4K is cool, but do I notice much difference from 1080? Nope. And I've seen some things in higher fps. Just not a big deal for me. But I know it will be for a lot

Aren't there PS4 games that offer 60fps on the PS4 console? And are we really saying that the best feature a game can have is a high frame rate?

This thread reminds me of this meme, which very much aligns with how I feel about games:
fdc.jpeg

It was a little bit of an exaggeration, but all this thread has been about is higher fps and quicker load times. Not sure what you're trying to debate here.
Not really debating anything. It's just no one really said anything like that, as you acknowledge.

Last edited:
At lease I was one of those 4.5 million that got one.
And no I didn't sell mine at a higher price.

Aren't there PS4 games that offer 60fps on the PS4 console? And are we really saying that the best feature a game can have is a high frame rate?

This thread reminds me of this meme, which very much aligns with how I feel about games:
View attachment 989556

Want to know something positively hilarious about this meme? Several of those things, including graphics, can suffer with an unstable framerate/frame timing. Also, can we please, for the love of my actual sanity, stop with this nonsensical "I can't tell the difference between 30 and 60fps?" I'm not referring to you specifically as you haven't said this, but if you're unable of discerning a difference between an actual 2x uptick in gameplay fluidity, you are blind. End of discussion.

It was a little bit of an exaggeration, but all this thread has been about is higher fps and quicker load times. Not sure what you're trying to debate here.

Looking through the thread, the greater majority of it is about the PS5 being unobtainable but, you know, go on.

Looking through the thread, the greater majority of it is about the PS5 being unobtainable but, you know, go on.
I don't really understand how we got here. I wasn't trying to win any "what's the overall theme of this thread" argument. I used the wrong wording in trying to explain where my "And are we really saying that the best feature a game can have is a high frame rate?" comment. I was wrong in wording it that way. MY BAD.

Want to know something positively hilarious about this meme? Several of those things, including graphics, can suffer with an unstable framerate/frame timing. Also, can we please, for the love of my actual sanity, stop with this nonsensical "I can't tell the difference between 30 and 60fps?" I'm not referring to you specifically as you haven't said this, but if you're unable of discerning a difference between an actual 2x uptick in gameplay fluidity, you are blind. End of discussion.

Maybe it's because I don't have the latest hardware, but it really isn't that noticeable. If you're looking and a side-by-side of course anyone can tell the difference. But if it wasn't for all of the uproar over 30fps in ACC for consoles, I probably wouldn't have thought twice about it.

Ultimately the point I'm trying to make here is games were fun way before 60fps was a thing. And 60fps was available for games on ps4 so it doesn't really feel like a "next-gen" feature. Some will disagree and that's perfectly fine.

but it really isn't that noticeable.

Yes, it is. Granted, some are more sensitive to it than others but it's a night and day difference. You don't even need a side-by-side comparison for some games. Any racing game or action-based title will make it apparent from the jump as the response curve is twice the size it was originally.

Ultimately the point I'm trying to make here is games were fun way before 60fps was a thing.

So, the PlayStation? Nintendo 64? Sega Saturn? I could go on. All three (and others!) featured games running at 60fps. It isn't new nor a next-gen feature, though I will grant you the media is very much treating it like it as such. Though with today's visual fidelity it doesn't take much to understand why it's being pushed...again.

The only console I haven’t gotten on launch day and really not that bothered anyway, the games so far released have no interest to me and to be honest, haven’t turned my PS4 on since December as Microsoft Flight Simulator on my first ever PC is simply astonishing, especially in VR and I’m completely addicted to it!!

You might not spot the difference between 30 and 60 fps but subconsciously games just run smoother and feel better.

I used to roll my eyes at the 60 crowd till the series x and then I could see the differnce. Its just the smoothness that makes the difference.

It certainly helps enjoyment as it feels more fluid and responsive

I just don’t understand how someone can’t spot the difference. ACC is a perfect example.

Last edited:
The only console I haven’t gotten on launch day and really not that bothered anyway, the games so far released have no interest to me and to be honest, haven’t turned my PS4 on since December as Microsoft Flight Simulator on my first ever PC is simply astonishing, especially in VR and I’m completely addicted to it!!

I as well have not bought or in all honesty at this time am really planning on buying a PS5 at all. I have transitioned over to PC pretty much exclusively myself as there are so many more games and options available on PC without the limitations imposed by consoles.

Even on my PS4 the only game I ever played on it was basically GT Sport and honestly there was a time or era there was no racing game or "sim" that compared to what the Gran Turismo franchise offered.
But in this day and time Gran Turismo has been left behind and in the dust by many other titles when it comes to physics and realism in its game play, its single player AI and content and the realistic and equal grouping of its racing classes and bop where the cars are concerned.

I will say that the PS5 for those that do not have the budget or want to spend the dollars for a really capable gaming PC and just want a plug-n-play option into their tv for gaming cost wise the PS5 is much better than a PC.

So for me as a user that would basically be buying the PS5 to use for one game only unless that one game were a must have blow me out the water title then the PS5 is a no go.
And to be honest GT7 has a lot of issues as far as its past titles that need a major overhaul to be able to compare favorably to other modern racing titles that I doubt I will be spending $500 to buy a new PS5 and this will be the first Playstation since its inception that I have not bought.

Another thing or place I think Sony made a mistake with the PS5 is omitting a1440p video output option, that should not have been a major undertaking to include and many gamers prefer a faster paced 1440p monitor as their display.

Gaming on PC is easily superior to console. I actually planned on switching to PC, but there are other things higher up on the priority list that I need to buy for the house or the wife would murder me.

So, the PlayStation? Nintendo 64? Sega Saturn? I could go on. All three (and others!) featured games running at 60fps. It isn't new nor a next-gen feature, though I will grant you the media is very much treating it like it as such. Though with today's visual fidelity it doesn't take much to understand why it's being pushed...again.
I honestly had no idea. This thread makes me want some retro consoles more than a PS5 :lol:

I honestly had no idea. This thread makes me want some retro consoles more than a PS5 :lol:

Yeah. Gran Turismo has a Hi-Fi mode that runs in 60. Granted, it's only in arcade mode with certain tracks but it's still there. The greater majority of games run at 30, unless you're playing your games through an emulator.

60 was the standard most games met. Underpowered consoles for 3D rendering and developers whose reach exceeded their grasp is what normalized 30 fps (or worse!) with console games; especially with the PS360 generation (which bled over to the PS4 one).

Last edited:
Gaming on PC is easily superior to console. I actually planned on switching to PC, but there are other things higher up on the priority list that I need to buy for the house or the wife would murder me.
Gaming is surely all about the games rather than the platform. And for the games, one platform does not cover enough for me. I play on PC and Playstation because there is just too much exclusive content on the Sony side that I want to play.

Gaming is surely all about the games rather than the platform. And for the games, one platform does not cover enough for me. I play on PC and Playstation because there is just too much exclusive content on the Sony side that I want to play.

The most attractive thing about pc gaming to me (besides performance) are the mods. I wish we could see more of that on console.

Last edited:
I just don’t understand how someone can’t spot the difference. ACC is a perfect example.
I suppose it's fairly easy for most people, especially those who are used to playing games. But I remember once trying to show someone the difference between 30 and 60 fps. It wasn't until I showed both framerates next to each other that they went "ah, now I see it!".

Back