PlayStation Will Be Sponsoring 2017 Pride in London

Cancer keeps growing, kids keep getting killed in never-ending wars, global pollution is making us sick and 1 in 3 kids born with ADD or autism. Suicide rates amongst teenagers keep growing as fast as unemployment and corruption so I really think that rainbows and little ponys should be pushed far behind.

Sony is a rather large company, they can and do put focus on plenty of causes.

Sony You Can program that helps kids with cancer.
Folding@Home was available on PS3 from 2007 to 2012 and helped researches with several diseases.
They haven't done any major programs for Autism related things but have donated to charities related to it.

I'm not sure what any company is supposed to do to stop wars and suicide, seems a tad unfair to put those things on Sony's shoulders.

With all the respect for all the LGBT people out there, I think there's way more important issues that should get the attention of game developers than the same old homosexual pride, gay rights and stuff like that.
I know there's still a lot of injustice towards gay people around the world but on the other hand the world today is way more open and supportive than ever before.
Cancer keeps growing, kids keep getting killed in never-ending wars, global pollution is making us sick and 1 in 3 kids born with ADD or autism. Suicide rates amongst teenagers keep growing as fast as unemployment and corruption so I really think that rainbows and little ponys should be pushed far behind.
With all respect to you that Logic seems a bit odd. For the simple fact that alot of companies outside of the gaming industry already brings huge awareness to the second half of your post & its also possible to focus on more than 1 huge problem during each year no matter how big or small they might be.
I'm sure Sony contributes to alot of these things during each year. Choosing to Sponsor LGBT Pride this year in 1 location is just one of them.
There's 7Billion people on this planet and hundreds of thousands of huge corporations. Its not just 1 person/entity who's in charge of all the worlds problems saying "Ok this month lets put kids dying in the middle east on the back burner and focus on the gays and rainbows and ponies". Thats not how it works.

With all the respect for all the LGBT people out there,

Always an encouraging way to start a post, might as well have said "I'm not homophobic, but..."

I think there's way more important issues that should get the attention of game developers than the same old homosexual pride, gay rights and stuff like that.

"Way more"? No. As important? Sure. Homophobia, misogyny, racism, war, famine, corruption, genocide, anti-vaxxers - these are all issues that affect all of us. You can't pick one out as being "way more" or way less important than any of the others and focusing on one issue doesn't have to be at the expense of the rest - at the end of the day, people die every day as a result of these issues and regardless of their race, gender, sexual orientation or nationality, they're all people just like you and I. We can and should be concerned about all of these issues and more, all at the same time.

I know there's still a lot of injustice towards gay people around the world but on the other hand the world today is way more open and supportive than ever before.

But just like all the issues I listed, homophobia is still a thing in the world and it absolutely shouldn't be, people shouldn't have to face death, persecution or humiliation because of who they are attracted to. It's completely unacceptable, in my opinion, that this could even be up for debate. The only reason things have moved on in the way they have is because of Pride, the endless campaigning against homophobia and the pursuit of LGBT+ rights, to say "well they've never had it better, so why is this a thing?" is a regressive mentality. If you really do have respect for the LGBT+ community, you should be able to understand that.

Cancer keeps growing, kids keep getting killed in never-ending wars, global pollution is making us sick and 1 in 3 kids born with ADD or autism.

As I said before, we don't have to ignore one to focus on the other. All are important.

Suicide rates amongst teenagers keep growing

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Suicide_among_LGBT_youth. By sponsoring Pride, Sony is almost specifically trying to help bring teenage suicide rates down. By suggesting they don't, you're supporting the status quo.

as fast as unemployment

Sony employs a ton of people, their HQ in Soho (aka the gay capital of London, by the way) is massive.

and corruption

You're reaching now.

so I really think that rainbows and little ponys should be pushed far behind.

Sorry, I thought you had respect for the LGBT+ community?

Dan
but it feels like they are only doing this for exposure and to just get customers, nothing else.

Well, yeah, probably - that's pretty much the point of sponsorship.

The fact that they realise a good way to promote their brand is to support causes like this, is fine by me.

With all the respect for all the LGBT people out there, I think there's way more important issues that should get the attention of game developers than the same old homosexual pride, gay rights and stuff like that.

As has been said most of those issues clearly are supported, but even ignoring that this just sounds like whataboutery - you could say something similar about pretty much anything.

Should Sony stop making games altogether, so they can focus on developing vaccines, or building solar panels?

Dan
While I appreciate the sentiment of celebrating the LGBT community (I'm bi), am I the only one here who thinks that every company doing the rainbow logo thing is... pandering? Sure, there are probably tons of LGBT people working for these companies and this is an opportunity to celebrate them, but it feels like they are only doing this for exposure and to just get customers, nothing else. It all feels a bit shallow to me.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Exposure and getting customers is literally their sole reason for existence.

Always an encouraging way to start a post, might as well have said "I'm not homophobic, but..."

"Way more"? No. As important? Sure. Homophobia, misogyny, racism, war, famine, corruption, genocide, anti-vaxxers - these are all issues that affect all of us. You can't pick one out as being "way more" or way less important than any of the others and focusing on one issue doesn't have to be at the expense of the rest - at the end of the day, people die every day as a result of these issues and regardless of their race, gender, sexual orientation or nationality, they're all people just like you and I. We can and should be concerned about all of these issues and more, all at the same time.

But just like all the issues I listed, homophobia is still a thing in the world and it absolutely shouldn't be, people shouldn't have to face death, persecution or humiliation because of who they are attracted to. It's completely unacceptable, in my opinion, that this could even be up for debate. The only reason things have moved on in the way they have is because of Pride, the endless campaigning against homophobia and the pursuit of LGBT+ rights, to say "well they've never had it better, so why is this a thing?" is a regressive mentality. If you really do have respect for the LGBT+ community, you should be able to understand that.

As I said before, we don't have to ignore one to focus on the other. All are important.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Suicide_among_LGBT_youth. By sponsoring Pride, Sony is almost specifically trying to help bring teenage suicide rates down. By suggesting they don't, you're supporting the status quo.

Sony employs a ton of people, their HQ in Soho (aka the gay capital of London, by the way) is massive.

You're reaching now.

Sorry, I thought you had respect for the LGBT+ community?
Such a passionate testment. Cheers.

Back