Please Help Me Be a Better Driver

Im in the same boat as you op. I recently started watching the streamers like David perel, super gt and kie and that has helped me out a bit.

Tidgney is a top YTer to watch as well.

THE best is surely TRL_Lightening though. Super accurate, consistent and very quick. Watched him stroll to victory at Brands in the 458 GR3 the other day. He's a beast.

There's a difference between being good at something and being good at helping others to improve. I once saw a quote along the lines of "Beware of advice from those at the top, for they do not desire company.". I'd say that overall, I've learned more from Kie's streams than anyone else's, he's pretty open about what he's doing and why, maybe due in no small part to the fact that he wouldn't go to a world tour event even if he qualified for it, due to having children to look after. There's value from looking at what faster drivers are doing and seeing what you can copy, certainly, but I find many of them aren't all that great at communicating what exactly their thinking is about what they're doing, but I don't know whether it's a deliberate choice to hold back that information for competitive reasons, or if they're just not naturally good at conveying that sort of information.

I think you (and everyone) might be underestimating how much time the aliens spend on this. You're at 24 days worth of driving time. Have a look at a top 10 EMEA player: https://www.kudosprime.com/gts/stats.php?profile=4700167
Jaysus!! Nearly 12 hours a day average! I think his profile says he's been racing these games for 18 months but it's all relative! It would take me 15 years to get to that amount of driving judging by my own profile!

Obviously paid off though because he's bloody quick!

And @XSquareStickIt , you're not woefully slow, you're not slow full stop. It is worth watching quicker players though, people who beat you in races as well as the people at the top of the leaderboards and the guys on YouTube who do their guides. You might pick up the odd tip or technique that you carry into racing and get yourself a couple of tenths.

I honestly found the Hamilton DLC useful (haven't beaten them all but reckon I will when I REALLY give it the time), we'll head into a corner level, brake at the same point then he'll fly past me just before the apex, I get a slightly better exit than him but will still be a tenth or so behind getting to the next braking zone. Lesson - he corners quicker than me or more to the point, I apex slower than I need to. So I've spent time trying to increase my speed into corners.

But it's frustrating, you'll watch quick guys and think you do everything the same as them but it's just little nuances in their techniques that all add up over the course of a lap. And these are the best players on the planet, there's no shame at all in being two seconds behind them, it makes you much faster than the vast majority of players

There's a difference between being good at something and being good at helping others to improve. I once saw a quote along the lines of "Beware of advice from those at the top, for they do not desire company.". I'd say that overall, I've learned more from Kie's streams than anyone else's, he's pretty open about what he's doing and why, maybe due in no small part to the fact that he wouldn't go to a world tour event even if he qualified for it, due to having children to look after. There's value from looking at what faster drivers are doing and seeing what you can copy, certainly, but I find many of them aren't all that great at communicating what exactly their thinking is about what they're doing, but I don't know whether it's a deliberate choice to hold back that information for competitive reasons, or if they're just not naturally good at conveying that sort of information.

I think those aliens who have been suggested on this thread are all transparent and genuine. This community is not like most online games. Most are very helpful and try to give advice as best they can. I've not run into anybody who has "held their cards close the their chest".

I'm a huge cynic, but I think you are way off on this, at least where the GTS community is concerned anyway. Being alien fast is normally backed up by a natural/instinctive way of driving which cannot always be easily explained because they "just do it" instinctively. This could just be the tenths of seconds difference getting on/off the brakes & acceleration, the inch perfect line to apex. You can teach so much, but there is that X% which is down to feel.

Some players will present advice that is more easily digested than others. You just need to find who you "get" best imo.

In my opinion the main difference between those on the top and normal drivers isn´t just the knowledge about being fast it´s how you execute it.
I´m doing online competitions for about 15 years since GT4 now and I´ve done thousands of hours trying to get faster.
One of my favorite track is Suzuka and even I did several thousand laps there I´m still about 1 second off the World Record on the recent Race C ( P.70 at the world rankings).
Maybe I could have a luck shot and gain another 2/10, there´s still much time left. In theory I know how I could be faster from watching replays of the top guys but I can´t do it on the track. There are such small margins ( braking 2m later, be off the line by 20 cm etc.) which cost you the last tenths.
When I´m lucky I can match them in one corner in one of 50 tries but I´ll lose on the next one. They have those perfect corners one after another. :bowdown:
You can see this in my comparison on the Nordschleife time trail where I compared my lap with Igor Fraga.

I´m quite sure it´s not only about the training, the aliens on top have some physiological advantages. Maybe they react faster, move smoother or are more sensible. I don´t know what it is but if you have this talent you can get to the top with enough training, if not you will reach your limit 0,5 sec., 1 sec., 2 sec. behind and won´t get any further.

That´s something I accepted after many years chasing ghost cars. :cheers:

Back