Please help me, stuck in an update nightmare.

For the last few months, I had the "one track causes glitches" issue. Mine was Silverstone. I could start races there, but after 3 laps, all the background went away and I was just driving along a blue sky. Kind of annoying when you are .044 away from golding the FGT super lap.

So I searched, read up and found the Delete game data and re-install "fix". So, I did that, Went in before any updates (version 1.00) and verified that the track worked, logged in and started the updates process. 20 versions and 7 hours later it starts ninja updates.

It shows me that it's preparing, then eventually goes to something like 900 minutes left. But the light flickers and it counts down. I've gotten as far down as 8 minutes left and I get a nondescript box that says "An error occurred" and when I "ok" that, it says, update failed. Then it restarts the game and starts that same ninja update again.

Nothing gets past it. I have disconnected from network and it still tries to force the ninja update. I even deleted all the game data again and started over. Same ninja update, same complete failure.

At the end of my rope here. Open to any suggestions other than restoring the PS3, as my kids have a bunch of games on it, and frankly Polyphony hasn't really given us much worth disrupting everything else in order to play this game lately, IMO.

I have seen a couple mentions of "Clearing Update Cache", but heck if I can figure out how. Any help is appreciated. Remember, I cannot get into the actual game screens to do anything.

Thanks in advance.

Never install all of the updates in one go. Earlier GT6 versions had problems whenever this was done.

Firstly, if you haven't done so already, delete the game data. After that, update to version 1.07. Cancel the download process, and let the ninja updates install. Now, you'll need to do every update one by one (after downloading an update, cancel the download process and let it ninja install in game) until you get to version 1.12. After this, you'll be OK to download the rest of the updates in a big chunk and ninja install them all at the same time. It is incredibly time consuming (can easily take upwards of 5 hours) but it works.

Never install all of the updates in one go. Earlier GT6 versions had problems whenever this was done.

Firstly, if you haven't done so already, delete the game data. After that, update to version 1.07. Cancel the download process, and let the ninja updates install. Now, you'll need to do every update one by one (after downloading an update, cancel the download process and let it ninja install in game) until you get to version 1.12. After this, you'll be OK to download the rest of the updates in a big chunk and ninja install them all at the same time. It is incredibly time consuming (can easily take upwards of 5 hours) but it works.

Thanks for the suggestion, I appreciate it.

So, it seems the ninja update after 1.07 is the problem. No issues whatsoever up til that point, but that update prepares, starts installing and at some point it just stops doing any thing. Been sitting at "approx 40 minutes left" for an hour and a half with no progress, no HDD activity. Nothing.

Glad I didn't blow away the whole playstation, because it doesn't seem it would have worked. Going to try buying a new disc and seeing if that gives any success, and if it doesn't.. Goodbye GT6. See ya in GT7.

This game just isn't worth the effort just so I can get rubber band rabbits and the same time trials every few weeks.

Wait, so how did you fix? By buying a new game disk? Everything updated fine with new disk or did you have to install each update individually? I haven't been able to play GT6 in 10-12 months because of update problems.

Downloading and installing one update to the PS3 at a time, then starting GT6 and installing that single update was the only way to successfully reach 1.20 for me. Even attempting just 2 updates at once was enough to cause an install error which meant deleting game data and starting over again. Be very careful to stop it when it gets to the really small update. I almost missed stopping it just by having to reconnect the controller.

For the last few months, I had the "one track causes glitches" issue. Mine was Silverstone. I could start races there, but after 3 laps, all the background went away and I was just driving along a blue sky. Kind of annoying when you are .044 away from golding the FGT super lap.

So I searched, read up and found the Delete game data and re-install "fix". So, I did that, Went in before any updates (version 1.00) and verified that the track worked, logged in and started the updates process. 20 versions and 7 hours later it starts ninja updates.

It shows me that it's preparing, then eventually goes to something like 900 minutes left. But the light flickers and it counts down. I've gotten as far down as 8 minutes left and I get a nondescript box that says "An error occurred" and when I "ok" that, it says, update failed. Then it restarts the game and starts that same ninja update again.

Nothing gets past it. I have disconnected from network and it still tries to force the ninja update. I even deleted all the game data again and started over. Same ninja update, same complete failure.

At the end of my rope here. Open to any suggestions other than restoring the PS3, as my kids have a bunch of games on it, and frankly Polyphony hasn't really given us much worth disrupting everything else in order to play this game lately, IMO.

I have seen a couple mentions of "Clearing Update Cache", but heck if I can figure out how. Any help is appreciated. Remember, I cannot get into the actual game screens to do anything.

Thanks in advance.
I am in a similar boat. I finall got my 1.07 ninja update to take by DL'ing GT5 updates to 200megs past the file size to 1.08 I think it was 5.8 gigs. Basically I determined that a section of my HDD was bad and I had to move the GT6 past that point. I'm still updating the game cause I can only put an hour or two a day into it but that's what it took to get past it for me.

I just had the same exact problem. I would be driving along on the Nordschleife and all of a sudden, the road would be gone. I was driving still, but my car appeared to be flying through the sky (because the background would still be there). I only play one game on my PS3, Gran Turismo 6.

The first thing I did was try loading an older saved backup from my USB stick. Not fixed.

Then I deleted the game and re-installed it. Not fixed.

Then I took the HDD out of my PS3 and put a working SSD drive in and installed GT6. Not fixed.

Then I borrowed a friends PS3 console and installed the game. Not fixed.

Then I bought a new copy of GT6 at Gamestop for $15. That finally fixed the problem. It was a corrupted disc all along.

I'm in this nightmare situation as we speak. In an online race at Spa..the ground gave way to sky and cloud. Have tried every avenue, earlier today completely reset PS3 to factory settings and now reinstalling GT6. When it freaked out it wouldn't play anything i.e. DVD, CD BluRay..after mucking about with it over the weekend I've got it to play everything other than GT6....will keep you informed

EDIT: It's alive...it worked. Reset PS3, took everything off. Reinstalled GT6 up to update 7 and the each one after that one by one. The worst bit was the install....took hours, and found myself just waiting for the 'there was an error with you install' message to come up. The only things I'm having to redo are the cars images in the garage. But that's it.

Last edited:
I'm in this nightmare situation as we speak. In an online race at Spa..the ground gave way to sky and cloud. Have tried every avenue, earlier today completely reset PS3 to factory settings and now reinstalling GT6. When it freaked out it wouldn't play anything i.e. DVD, CD BluRay..after mucking about with it over the weekend I've got it to play everything other than GT6....will keep you informed
Good luck sir thus seems to be a major problem and hopefully PD will do something about it

Good luck sir thus seems to be a major problem and hopefully PD will do something about it

It's alive...it worked. Reset PS3, took everything off. Reinstalled GT6 up to update 7 and the each one after that one by one. The worst bit was the install....took hours, and found myself just waiting for the 'there was an error with you install' message to come up. The only things I'm having to redo are the cars images in the garage. But that'sit.

It's alive...it worked. Reset PS3, took everything off. Reinstalled GT6 up to update 7 and the each one after that one by one. The worst bit was the install....took hours, and found myself just waiting for the 'there was an error with you install' message to come up. The only things I'm having to redo are the cars images in the garage. But that'sit.
Awesome.
As your car icons it's about 20 seconds per car so what I did was set to do all and then went did yard work Lol

Just got the game (2023 ik lol) but it is making me download 21 updates all in a row. When they finally do install when i play the game and the game installs it there is always a failure. How do I know which one is 1.12? and how do you cancel out of the update? i thought you can’t hit the PS button in the middle of them

Just got the game (2023 ik lol) but it is making me download 21 updates all in a row. When they finally do install when i play the game and the game installs it there is always a failure. How do I know which one is 1.12? and how do you cancel out of the update? i thought you can’t hit the PS button in the middle of them

I too only played this game first the first time this year, a few months back now though.

This guide was extremely helpful - https://www.gtplanet.net/forum/threads/recommended-gt6-updating-instructions.321012/

I followed it to the letter and got through it, it took a really long time though. I did it in stages over the course of a few days. Probably 5 or 6 hours to do it in one sitting! I made the same mistake as you at first and tried to download and install everything at once. You’ll have to delete everything and start again I’m afraid, the above guide explains how.

Last edited:
Back