Recommended GT6 Updating Instructions

• Thread starter MasterGT
  • 32 comments
Canada
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
MastrGT
It seems that the GT6 updating errors are being caused by players not updating for longer periods of time. Those who keep up with updates seem to have less problems. The following instructions are being recommended to deal with updating errors.

This method was put together on the PSX show floor when PDI was affected by the updating errors everyone else is getting. PDI is looking to see if these instructions can be further simplified.
==============================================================================

It seems the root cause of this was that players would let significant time lapse between updating GT6. When finally updating, the patches will download/install properly, however there is a file extraction that occurs while on the main menu warning screen. If this file extraction gets too big, the install will fail (after waiting for a very long time).

Steps to address the “Installation Failed” issue:
  1. Backup save data file to PS Plus or USB drive and delete existing save data file from the PS3 prior to update process
  2. Within the Games tab of the XMB select Game Data Utility
  3. Highlight GT6 Game Data and press the “Triangle" button and select DELETE
  4. While connected to PSN, highlight the GT6 game disc/game file from the XMB
  5. Press the “Triangle” button and select “Check for Updates”
  6. Accept the update prompts and begin patch process via the XMB
  7. Allow the first 6 patches to download and install.
  8. Once the 6th patch has finished installing, press the “Circle” button to cancel the download process
  9. Scroll left while on the XMB, and highlight the Settings Tab
  10. Scroll down to the Network Settings tab>Internet Connection and select DISABLE (this step will prevent the title from trying to complete the remaining TPPS patch process)
  11. Boot GT6 and follow the in-game prompts until the main menu appears. (this step will create new save data which will later be deleted)
  12. Once the initial in-game installation process is complete, press the “PS” button and Quit the game to return to the XMB
  13. Return to the Settings>Network Settings>Internet Connection screen and select ENABLE
  14. Highlight the GT6 game disc/game file and press the “Triangle” button and “Check for Updates”
  15. Once the first patch has completed it’s download/install process press the “Circle” button to Cancel
  16. Repeat steps 10-15 until all TPPS patches have been installed.
  17. Copy save data from step 1 back to the PS3 system (overwriting any existing save data that may have been created during the update process)
Although fairly complex, this worked every time.
=============================================================================

Last edited:
I had installation issues with every update from 1.04 to 1.10 even though I did every one as it came out. I guess this procedure fixes the specific problem mentioned here though.

Guys , you know what I'm wondering now , doesn't GT6 has an update feature inside of the game itself also ?
I remember when 1.02 gave people trouble some updated from inside GT6 skipping the message in XMB and then 1.02 worked
for them that way.

Now I'm thinking , what if one tries to do all of them from inside GT6's update feature ? In theory it should then dl and extract one by
one inside of GT6 , eliminating what is said to be the cause of the problem ( extracting too many updates at once )
And secondly , according to the update messages inside GT6 , there it has resuming feature on downloads. So when 1 fail it should
continue where it left off , unlike the XMB download which starts from scratch again ?

What do you guys think ? Am I onto something or not ? Maybe it can work ?
I just can't remember where inside GT6 you tell it to check fro updates , or did it check automatically ?
I specifically remember , with 1.02's issues , some players said "cancel" at the XMB prompt for updates and then accepted inside of the game
in GT6. This might be another solution to the problem. Wonder if anybody anywhere have tried this ?

PD should seriously fix these update problems. Seems the internet is infested with people struggling to update GT6. I tried to update to 1.12 a week after it came out, the download failed, corrupted the game data and I have been stuck trying to get GT6 updated from scratch as it keeps on failing at v1.07 corrupting the game data and causing me to start from the beginning downloading every patch from the start. Some people get failures with the auto updater in the game some of us can't even get to a patch that has that feature....

Even though i have a backup of a working v1.06 it fails without fail (look I made a funny) when updating to 1.07 after downloading the data (yes through ethernet, yes with and without google dns, yes I've tried a playstation proxy program etc....).

So when I muster up the courage I will format my ps3 again, start gt6 up and start trying to get it to the newest version so I can use my new G27 on GT6 properly at last....

So I am going from 1.08 - 1.15, did the 1.08 past summer and haven't wanted to update again until today. It's been 2 hours, the bar keeps moving(slowly), the time fluctuates between 20 and 90 minutes for the most part. WoW I sure hope it just keeps getting closer. Slow and steady, slow and steady.

*edit: YES!!! 2 1/2 Hours of washing dishes, doing laundry, pissing away time on :gtplanet:, WAITING, worrying, WAITING some more, and it's finally done. Wow, 1.08 - 1.15 in 2hours 27minutes. I just got 7 VGT's in one day:D!!!!(1/6/15)

*EDIT 2: Just went from 1.15 - 1.21 in 37 minutes. I just got Mid_field, B-Spec, The Course Creator, and NINE VGTs all at once! (10/21/15)

Peace.

Last edited:
Just got a new copy of the disk. as I suspected, my first copy was damaged somehow. installed up to 1.13 in 2 1/2 hours. going for 1.14 - 1.22 now

I see, the patch #6 is the culprit. By the way, I have similar situation with a friend. Here is what I am doing:

1) Backup your save data first.
2) Delete all game data and save data.
3 - optional) Download the day 1 DLCs (the 15th anniversary cars if you own it) from PS Store
4) Reinstall GT6 from game disc. But DO NOT update on this point. You can start offline.
5) When done installing, play the game until you reach the GT6 main menu.
6) Quit game, and start updating from 1.00 to the latest. In this point I am using psxdownloadhelper and updating using LAN from PS3 to PC. You can googling for psxdownloadhelper -- it is a real timesaver for game updates.
7) When installing updates, it will took real long, depend on your HDD type and free space.

It works on my console.

I am starting from scratch, I had just bought this game new (yes, I'm a late bloom) do these steps for updating from new work for me, i do not have any game data nor save data, and what about the day one DLC cars, would i still be able to acquire them?
please help me... thanks in advance...

It seems that the GT6 updating errors are being caused by players not updating for longer periods of time. Those who keep up with updates seem to have less problems. The following instructions are being recommended to deal with updating errors.

This method was put together on the PSX show floor when PDI was affected by the updating errors everyone else is getting. PDI is looking to see if these instructions can be further simplified.
==============================================================================

It seems the root cause of this was that players would let significant time lapse between updating GT6. When finally updating, the patches will download/install properly, however there is a file extraction that occurs while on the main menu warning screen. If this file extraction gets too big, the install will fail (after waiting for a very long time).

Steps to address the “Installation Failed” issue:
  1. Backup save data file to PS Plus or USB drive and delete existing save data file from the PS3 prior to update process
  2. Within the Games tab of the XMB select Game Data Utility
  3. Highlight GT6 Game Data and press the “Triangle" button and select DELETE
  4. While connected to PSN, highlight the GT6 game disc/game file from the XMB
  5. Press the “Triangle” button and select “Check for Updates”
  6. Accept the update prompts and begin patch process via the XMB
  7. Allow the first 6 patches to download and install.
  8. Once the 6th patch has finished installing, press the “Circle” button to cancel the download process
  9. Scroll left while on the XMB, and highlight the Settings Tab
  10. Scroll down to the Network Settings tab>Internet Connection and select DISABLE (this step will prevent the title from trying to complete the remaining TPPS patch process)
  11. Boot GT6 and follow the in-game prompts until the main menu appears. (this step will create new save data which will later be deleted)
  12. Once the initial in-game installation process is complete, press the “PS” button and Quit the game to return to the XMB
  13. Return to the Settings>Network Settings>Internet Connection screen and select ENABLE
  14. Highlight the GT6 game disc/game file and press the “Triangle” button and “Check for Updates”
  15. Once the first patch has completed it’s download/install process press the “Circle” button to Cancel
  16. Repeat steps 10-15 until all TPPS patches have been installed.
  17. Copy save data from step 1 back to the PS3 system (overwriting any existing save data that may have been created during the update process)
Although fairly complex, this worked every time.
=============================================================================

I am starting from scratch, I had just bought this game new (yes, I'm a late bloom) do these steps for updating from new work for me, i do not have any game data nor save data, and what about the day one DLC cars, would i still be able to acquire them?
please help me... thanks in advance...
Yes if you follow them steps, you will not have an issue.
The DLC cars are only available if you got the GT6 Anniversary Edition Cars tied up to your PSN account, or if you had a PS3 CFW you might get them that way, but I don't really know. I have the GT6 Anniversary Edition Cars but I hardly ever use them, so there not really worth having.

I'll be loading up My GT6 Tomorrow From scratch And I will be taking notes and posting my results here...
Ok, all is well in updating, doing the repeat of steps 10-15 and the only thing I am getting tired of is having to repeat typing in my name, and driving that Clio at brands hatch to get to the main menu screen to properly quit to repeat the cycle...

By the way up to 1.09...

P.s. figured out how to quit out of the driving demo...

Update: had to pause this for i have a "day job" (actually working nights) but will pick this up as i get home tonight...

Last edited:
Ok, I'm all done with the update / install cycle and my GT6 is up to 1.22 but i have an annoying problem, the game works but i have NO online access to anything on GT6. quite frequently i will see these alerts pop uo, after a race, when i click on GT store, etc...
please tell me its because they closed the GT6 Servers down.
20210506_085127.jpg
20210506_085450.jpg

Funny thing is that i was signed into PSN when this one came up..

please help.

Ok, I'm all done with the update / install cycle and my GT6 is up to 1.22 but i have an annoying problem, the game works but i have NO online access to anything on GT6. quite frequently i will see these alerts pop uo, after a race, when i click on GT store, etc...
View attachment 1009265 View attachment 1009266

please help.
View attachment 1009265 View attachment 1009266

please help.
That is normal because GT6 server been closed down for a few years now my friend, I get the same when I signed in to the PSN when I play GT5.

Last edited:
That is normal because GT6 server been closed down for a few years now my friend, I get the same when I signed in to the PSN when I play GT5.
Okay thank you for all your help, and thank you for your great tunes on GT Sport, i have used a few in my garage

Okay thank you for all your help, and thank you for your great tunes on GT Sport, i have used a few in my garage
Thanks for liking my tunes for GT Sport :cheers:, sadly I have gone away from that game. Now I am playing GT6 & GT5 until GT7 comes out.

Thanks for liking my tunes for GT Sport :cheers:, sadly I have gone away from that game. Now I am playing GT6 & GT5 until GT7 comes out.
Oh ok, well then i guess i can look forward to some good tunes in GT6 then for as you know i just got a copy and just started out, did the 1st stage of the Sierra time run and got 500,000 credits easy, nice to have a bankroll in the beginning of a game. one more question, is there any way i can get any DLC cars this late in the life of this GT6 since the servers are down, i do not see anything in the PS store that has anything to do with GT6...

Oh ok, well then i guess i can look forward to some good tunes in GT6 then for as you know i just got a copy and just started out, did the 1st stage of the Sierra time run and got 500,000 credits easy, nice to have a bankroll in the beginning of a game. one more question, is there any way i can get any DLC cars this late in the life of this GT6 since the servers are down, i do not see anything in the PS store that has anything to do with GT6...
The cars are only available if you have the GT6 anniversary edition game like I have got, you can not get them if you don't have the anniversary edition. The GT6 anniversary edition cars are all in my Stockyard in my garage, and I don't use the now anyway.

The cars are only available if you have the GT6 anniversary edition game like I have got, you can not get them if you don't have the anniversary edition. The GT6 anniversary edition cars are all in my Stockyard in my garage, and I don't use the now anyway.
I happen to buy GT6 off of amazon and when i got it i had found out that is was a version from Europe (Holland I think) but it had a sticker in the official PS3 plastic wrapping that it was playable in English, and so it is and the paper instruction manual is NOT in English, I do not understand the Stockyard thing, i had read here in the forums that the garage is limited to 200 cars but so many more than that are available. How does the stockyard thing work to put and retrieve cars?

I happen to buy GT6 off of amazon and when i got it i had found out that is was a version from Europe (Holland I think) but it had a sticker in the official PS3 plastic wrapping that it was playable in English, and so it is and the paper instruction manual is NOT in English, I do not understand the Stockyard thing, i had read here in the forums that the garage is limited to 200 cars but so many more than that are available. How does the stockyard thing work to put and retrieve cars?
Up to 500 cars can be kept in your Garage, so I don't think you need the Stockyard yet.
In your garage you will see the word STOCKYARD.

Last edited:
Back