Pointless automobiles, a recollection of sorts.

• Thread starter -Fred-
  • 222 comments
There are a lot of people who appreciate better value for "luxury". The problem is, the Phaeton wasn't cheap. The bigger problem is, the Phaeton wasn't really any cheaper than an A8. You'd hope the "mass market" badge would knock at least a few thousand off, as it does on the base Touareg, no matter how bare the specs of the "base" Phaeton would be.

Last edited:
I struggle with the inherently negative concept of "pointless" cars since I can usually see a point in most things, even if that point is very, very limited. But VehiCross aside (which gets a free pass for being unashamedly weird, that being its point) I pretty much agree with those above.

I'd typically give a pass for anything which is better looking even if it's more useless than its equivalent. Otherwise every coupe ever would be pointless for being less practical and more expensive than the sedan on which it's based. But cars like the X6 are ugly too, which makes their supposed advantage over an X5 disappear.

I don't agree that the powerful SUVs above are pointless. An SUV has a point on its own, and who is to say that people don't want a more powerful one?

Bingo! I agree

Thread revival!

http://www.bmwusanews.com/newsrelease.do?id=3385&mid=

BMW unveiled their brand new X3M and X4M today. While I'm not a huge fan of crossovers/CUVs, the cars themselves are not the pointless part.

bmw-x3-m-und-bmw-x4-m.jpg

This is:

Yes, that's a track oriented version of the X4M (and X3M as well). BMW even says so:

Powered by the high-revving, 473 hp S58 3.0 liter 6-cylinder M TwinPower Turbo engine, the newest M SAV variants are built with more than 40 years of BMW M’s experience in developing high performance automobiles that are capable on both street and track.

The motor sport expertise amassed by BMW M GmbH also makes its presence felt in the design of the oil supply system, which is required to meet the challenges of track driving.

The basic damper set-up can be varied at the touch of a button with a choice of three modes, each with their own settings. COMFORT mode smooths out bumps in the road at the same time as providing high levels of handling stability, while damping becomes significantly firmer in SPORT mode. Activating SPORT+ mode activates an even tauter set-up. SPORT+ is designed to put maximum longitudinal and lateral acceleration during hard driving on even surfaces, such as a closed-course track.

Problem is, most if not all sanctioning bodies (like NASA or SCCA) around the globe don't allow SUVs and trucks in general on track days.

Exactly who is this being pitched to because if I am not mistaken, People in general don't take SUVs or Trucks to track days even without the sanctioning bodies saying they can't. So yeah...definately scratching my head about this.

Subcompact crossovers. From either the economy or luxury side, you end up spending more money on one than a compact sedan/hatchback for less space. Examples like the Toyota CH-R starting at $20,995 (and does NOT come with AWD) compared to a Corolla sedan at $18,700 or a Corolla Hatchback at $19,990. I want to like the CH-R for it's weird looks, but not having AWD is a huge mistake on Toyota's part. Of course, that's a rare example as most crossovers come with AWD.

Thread revival!

http://www.bmwusanews.com/newsrelease.do?id=3385&mid=

BMW unveiled their brand new X3M and X4M today. While I'm not a huge fan of crossovers/CUVs, the cars themselves are not the pointless part.

This is:

Yes, that's a track oriented version of the X4M (and X3M as well). BMW even says so:

Problem is, most if not all sanctioning bodies (like NASA or SCCA) around the globe don't allow SUVs and trucks in general on track days.

The SUV is certainly not the greatest platform for performing on a track. Of course, neither is a hatchback, or a sedan, or basically anything that isn't a track car.

2607246036_e2bd35a7de.jpg

I think the most uncomfortable part about all of this is that it sheds some light on the puffery that most people get when buying a "competition" version that they'll never take to the track, regardless of whether it's an SUV.

Edit:

Somewhere on GTPlanet is a video of an S2000 failing to keep up with a pickup truck on a track day. I can't seem to find it on youtube. The S2000 was undoubtedly not the greatest driver, but the truck appears to be hauling a great deal of rear end.

Last edited:
You think they can only be used on track then?
I don't really care if they have the off road capabilities of a Unimog, honestly. While I'm sure you'll happily inundate everyone in this thread with how great they are in all conditions regardless of that, I was strictly commenting on BMW's choice of photo op for their press release speaking at length of the ultra track day performance allowed by their new SUVs.

Subcompact crossovers. From either the economy or luxury side, you end up spending more money on one than a compact sedan/hatchback for less space. Examples like the Toyota CH-R starting at $20,995 (and does NOT come with AWD) compared to a Corolla sedan at $18,700 or a Corolla Hatchback at $19,990. I want to like the CH-R for it's weird looks, but not having AWD is a huge mistake on Toyota's part. Of course, that's a rare example as most crossovers come with AWD.

It's rare in Europe to see smaller crossovers as anything other than FWD. Or in the case of the BMW X1, RWD. You see very few with Xdrive, Quattro, 4matic etc badging.

It's rare in Europe to see smaller crossovers as anything other than FWD. Or in the case of the BMW X1, RWD. You see very few with Xdrive, Quattro, 4matic etc badging.

Here where I live an AWD crossover is quite rare, and the few people that have them either don't even know they have the AWD model, or it's because it's the more expensive option.

Back