POLL: Exporting & Backing Up Replays - A Workaround

• Thread starter VBR
  • 7 comments

Do you want an Export Replay function added to GT Sport?

• Total voters

VBR

Meme Dissident in Exile...
Premium
England
Yorkshire
ScapeGoat4U
WhippingBoy
As we all know, the Export Replay function available in PS3 era GT games hasn't been carried over into GT Sport. What with all the reports of people losing their data, & running out of space, I'd thought I'd share this simple little workaround to the problem that we replay fans are facing. In the meantime, vote & give PD some feedback.

The workaround;

1) Make one or more PSN accounts that you won't use for playing GT Sport.

2) Add the new account to your PSN friends list on your main account.

3) Set the replay you want to back up to Share with friends.

4) Download it into your other account to archive it.

Simples! Now, if & when you run out of space on your main account or the data becomes corrupted, you'll have backups of all your precious replays.

👍

UPDATE: There might be a problem with this method, see post 4 for details.

Last edited:
VBR
As we all know, the Export Replay function available in PS3 era GT games hasn't been carried over into GT Sport. What with all the reports of people losing their data, & running out of space, I'd thought I'd share this simple little workaround to the problem that we replay fans are facing. In the meantime, vote & give PD some feedback.

The workaround;

1) Make one or more PSN accounts that you won't use for playing GT Sport.

2) Add the new account to your PSN friends list on your main account.

3) Set the replay you want to back up to Share with friends.

4) Download it into your other account to archive it.

Simples!

Now, if & when you run out of space on your main account or the data becomes corrupted, you'll have backups of all your precious replays.

👍
You can also do it on one account, by sharing a replay, then adding it to your collection via your profile on the GT Sport website.

You can also do it on one account, by sharing a replay, then adding it to your collection via your profile on the GT Sport website.

It sounds like a good idea, however, I have two concerns with that. Firstly, would it eat into the allocated & limited available space for in-game storage? If so, then it would practically halve the number of replays we could store. Secondly, if the account became corrupted, would the duplicate replays in our collections be corrupted too? If so, we'd lose all our duplicate replays as well as the originals & be back to square one again.

By using multiple PSN accounts we can double, triple, quadruple etc our storage space & be confident that they'll still be there if our main account becomes corrupted.

Thinking about it some more; the best idea would be to import replays to another profile on the PS4, then add it to that profile's Collection & delete the imported replay afterwards. That way, we'd have 1000 replays per profile, & it wouldn't eat into the allocated space on our original profile.

💡

Clarification request: When I delete the "master" replay on My Library, the shared replay won't be deleted, right?

VBR
Thinking about it some more; the best idea would be to import replays to another profile on the PS4, then add it to that profile's Collection & delete the imported replay afterwards. That way, we'd have 1000 replays per profile, & it wouldn't eat into the allocated space on our original profile.

💡

First, I have been wanting to Thank you for making the thread, and help us all on something Kaz and PD created a stupid problem we never asked for.

Second, this is a nice work around, but also a stupid and very time consuming work around, albeit the only work around we have at this moment.

I have been playing GTS for exactly one year now.
Without realizing about the limited space, I have spent my first 6months enjoying the game, saving replays without a care in the world, then one day I ran out of space not knowing what happened, that’s when I found this thread.

Since then and for the past 6 month, I have this love and HATE relationship with GTS because I am literally spending half of the little time I barely have to dedicate to GTS, spending on painfully moving my replays around.

Sure the work-around techniques work, but here is what I have learned:
1) backing the replays online means that you are still at the mercy of PD, just like the track editor, you no longer owns or can manage properly your replays. If one day PD pulls the trigger, all the replays will be gone, and with it all the hours you spent to save them.
2) if you have tons of replays you want to backup just like me, you will have to create a way to name them in order for you to be able to find them later easier.
3) moving tour replays to your collection, you are only limited to 1000 for each collection account.
4) you can delete the Master (local) copy one you have duplicated online by sharing it to the world, at which point, the shared copy I the master copy, so if you delete it later, you will want Tom,ale sure you really want tin delete it because it will be gone forever. (The copy in your collection is just an I,age of the shared copy)
I hate KAz and PD for forcing us to use this work around. I despise them for making my experience with GTS very unenjoyable!!

Suggestion for Kaz and PD:
A) Our saved items for photos, video replays, decals, livery, etc Must be based on a unrestricted (in size) file that is separate from the game save data file! And which we can fully export and back up somewhere. Why do we have to have a cap on our local file?
B) with the amount of things being created by others and shared by them online, there are so many good things, capping our collection to 1000 because our collection is tied to our online save file is ALSO stupid... this wouldnt be a problem if we had offline save files that is not centrally managed and backed up...
C) let us choose whether we want to have our files saved online or not, and let us choose which file is the master copy instead of forcing us one way...
D) of course I understand the concern for piracy, which all these problems we are now complaining about stems from, it please I urge you to find a better way...!

Asking me to delete things that I created is like asking me to let which of my children go because my house is too small... I guess it kills the fun in procreating, and i will never feel fulfilled as a gamer with GTS.

Clarification request: When I delete the "master" replay on My Library, the shared replay won't be deleted, right?

Yes. But be sure to never delete the shared replay from your collection, otherwise it will be forever deleted.

And I guess it goes the same way:
If we save a replay from someone else to our collection, and later on the owner of the replay decides to ‘stop’ sharing by removing the replay online, then my guess is the replay you saved from that person will also vanish from your collection... someone please confirm.

Last edited:

Latest Posts

Back