[Poll] Petition to match online physics with single player

  • Thread starter Thread starter r0llinlacs
  • 14 comments
  • 1,395 views

Do you think online physics should be the same as offline?


  • Total voters
    64

r0llinlacs

(Banned)
Messages
233
Messages
r0llinlacs
Ok, so basically there are 3 physics modes in GT5. Why? I have no idea.

Offline: Best experience, drafting, roll-overs, catching air, but no tire wear or fuel consumption (unless endurance)

Online free-run: No drafting, hard to catch air, cars just slide instead of flipping, tire wear and fuel consumption selectable

Online race: Drafting, hard to catch air, cars just slide instead of flipping, tire wear and fuel consumption selectable

Why? What is the point?

I Believe this is a big reason online races get so "dirty". There is no consistency between modes what-so-ever. You practice, practice, practice in free run with others, only to have the race start, drafting enabled, and boom; you hit every corner exceptionally faster, resulting in late breaking and getting rear ended off the track; and the whole race is ruined (for you).

Why is there no drafting in free-run? And why is there a Star Wars-like force keeping my car from flipping/rolling over??

To see what I'm talking about:
https://www.gtplanet.net/forum/showthread.php?t=193689

Watch the video. That has got to be the most entertaining setup I've come across. Yet, it is IMPOSSIBLE online, because of the mystery force keeping me glued to the ground. WHY do we need this mystery force??? Why aren't all modes EXACTLY the same?? Seems to me that would be the logical decision for a game that is all about physics.
 
If it's different is because there is an important reason behind it, or do you think PD just did it to annoy you? come on..
 
If it's different is because there is an important reason behind it, or do you think PD just did it to annoy you? come on..

Maybe to save bandwidth... I don't know. Unless I heard an actual reason why they can't do it or why it would be bad to do it, I'll assume it's some pretty major glitch.

In a racing sim where you tune your car to just the right set-up and practice over and over to perfect your driving. Having the physics and system change from offline to online completely defeats what we're trying to accomplish.

To quote myself from the linked thread:

 
You might get more support if you left the word "petition" out of the first post.
 
I want the offline to have the slippery online physics so that the racing tire haters can STFU for once.
 
If it's different is because there is an important reason behind it, or do you think PD just did it to annoy you? come on..

I'm sure there's a reason behind it. But knowing PD, I'm sure that completely excluding certain things online was probably not most logical decision or fix (regarding the Star Wars "force")

But, there is really no reason why we can't draft in free run. Unless you know??
 
The lack of drafting in free run is so you can't get a better qualifying time by drafting. I suspect that the lack of rollover online is because of lag issues. Lag could make it look like cars are rolling over all over the place.

One issue that I have is that different lounges have different physics. My lounge is considerably slower than one of my friends even with the same settings. In my lounge, tires take much longer to warm up.
 
One of my pet hates in this game is when you go hard on the accelerator out of a corner and lose traction or spin out. I spend a lot of time tuning this out of my favoured cars offline, only to take them online and have it happen again as if I haven't fixed it at all.
It's a pain. I vote for uniform physics.
 
Of course, I practice offline but then when I come to online racing, I drive like a noob and spin out all over the place.
They both need to be the same.
 
I am of the opinion that there is more traction offline and less online: i.e. the traction online is more realistic (probably due to tire wear, etc). The offline off the ground physics are more realistic than online and these offline physics are better: but I do not think you can get those physics online because people would be teleporting like mad. People who get into wrecks online already teleport a little from time to time, and if they flew off the ground (a 3rd dimension) the extrapolation processes that occur when your system predicts where others are going would run amok.
 
If you know the physics are different, then why do you practice and do your setup off-line? When I practice for my league races I just create a lounge, pick the track and do my setup that way, so I know the physics will be the same as the race. I don't know why the physics are different, but when I learned that they were I stopped doing my setup in Practice Mode and started creating an online lounge instead. Problem solved. 👍
 
The lack of drafting in free run is so you can't get a better qualifying time by drafting. I suspect that the lack of rollover online is because of lag issues. Lag could make it look like cars are rolling over all over the place.

Um, since when do we qualify?
 
Should be a neutral vote, for those who aren't bothered by the change.
 
Its simply better to setup the car inside online lobby (private or open) just because you can switch cars without re-loading the track.
 
Back