POLL: PS3 Slim YLOD, is it possible?

Can PS3 SLIM get the YLOD?

• Total voters
I know someone who did it on purpose because he didn't like the look of the slim PS3 so he made it YLOD and got an 80GB fat PS3 instead, with some money back too!
It's official confirmed that I've read of everthing...OMG...:ill:

:lol: Why would someone put a blanket on their PS3 . . . :lol:

Actually, I do, but it's to prevent dust entering into the rear vents when I'm not using my ps3. Doing this, my Slim looks newer than ever, and it's been almost a year since I've had it. Of course, I take it off when I'm using it...

Yes it is totally possible talking from experience. Mine was a 320GB slim its now a 1TB slim. The hard drive failed with the YLOD so had to buy a new one. Can't remember what model my ps3 is though.

A PS3 (like any form of electronic hardware) has a certain 'failure rate', meaning some just came out of the factory a bit bodged, so you can't always avoid a YLOD. But the PS3 was designed as a media hub for a the home, so it can easily be left on for a few days without it being negatively affected. Of course you always have to keep it well ventilated and dust free. Dust buildup killed my original 60GB fatty, so I've tried taking better care of my new one (vacuum the fans every once in a while, taken it out of my cabinet with a closing glass front)

To be honest, it's pretty hard to tell if your PS3 is going to konk it until it shows the vital signs: regular lock-ups and freezes, display glitches and suspicious fan noises. If you're PS3 grows these symptoms, back it up and start saving money!

A PS3 (like any form of electronic hardware) has a certain 'failure rate', meaning some just came out of the factory a bit bodged, so you can't always avoid a YLOD. But the PS3 was designed as a media hub for a the home, so it can easily be left on for a few days without it being negatively affected. Of course you always have to keep it well ventilated and dust free. Dust buildup killed my original 60GB fatty, so I've tried taking better care of my new one (vacuum the fans every once in a while, taken it out of my cabinet with a closing glass front)

To be honest, it's pretty hard to tell if your PS3 is going to konk it until it shows the vital signs: regular lock-ups and freezes, display glitches and suspicious fan noises. If you're PS3 grows these symptoms, back it up and start saving money!

The only time I get freezes is with GT5, with a once and a while freeze during use of the browser. I get a screen that looks like psychedelic fuzz/snow once in a while, and if I unplug my HDMI cable from my tv and plug it back in it's fine. It doesn't happen on any other TV though so I think my TV is going bad (AND IT'S BRAND NEW)

Yeah by the way, YLOD has nothing to do with overheating. Nobodies PS3's overheat, if they did they would go into safe mode to stop them destroying themselves.

Dust accumulation will certainly create increased internal temperatures which undoubtedly reduces component life span but even the best looked after PS3 is doomed to failure once its CPU solder joints loose connectivity.
This is thought to be due to the heating/cooling cycle which eventually fatigues the connections.

Also vacuming will have little benefit unless you disassemble your PS3 to do it and even so it will have no difference on YLOD frequency.
My FAT60 lasted 4 years before it went YLOD, and had it repaired under warranty. It only lasted one month before it went YLOD again.
Again they repaired it, this time it went a year before failing again of YLOD.
None of these incidents had anything to do with dust or overheating.
I'm now on a slim and I turn it on as little as possible. Its laughable to think you can use it as a multimedia hub because it simply doesn't have the lifespan to be allocated any more "on" time.

Sony deny there is an inherent problem so as to deny any liablity. Yet the rest of the entire world knows and has done for sometime.

Shame on you Sony. I'm going to do my best to switch to another console next time round maybe Nintendo.

To top it off my slimline accesses files in GT5 more slowly then my FAT did.

Back