POLL: Should Project Cars 3 have pit stops?

Should Project Cars 3 have pit stops?

• Total voters
Because contrary to popular belief there will be people out there who don't care about pitstops and would rather just play a racing game. I have many friends who enjoy playing the F1 games for example but they, due to various time constraints or limited ability, play one shot qualifying and short races with no pitstops. Hard as it may be to believe, there are people out there who would rather not have to worry about it. Not saying that's the case for everyone and of course there are arguments for them being left in or at least optional.

Should it have been optional, probably, but that doesn't mean that this won't appeal to people. Funnily enough those people won't frequent forums based around simulation racing.
What in the world are you going on about?

You do know that in pcars 2 you can race as much as you want and never use the pits right?
The player has the option to turn off Tyre wear, fuel uses, and damage but still have the option to have pit stops.

In other words you already have pcars 3 in pcars 2 but the only difference is PCARS 2 has OPTIONS which 3 doesn't.

Project CARS 2_202006281550333.png

Turn those off and the player can race all they want without ever needing to pit.

What in the world are you going on about?

You do know that in pcars 2 you can race as much as you want and never use the pits right?
The player has the option to turn off Tyre wear, fuel uses, and damage but still have the option to have pit stops.

In other words you already have pcars 3 in pcars 2 but the only difference is PCARS 2 has OPTIONS which 3 doesn't.

View attachment 935859

Turn those off and the player can race all they want without ever needing to pit.

100% aware my friend as I have played the game alot. That wasn't your question. My answer pertains to your statement questioning why people would answer no. I gave you an answer using real life examples which I can pose as fact. Because you dont agree with that doesn't make it instantly wrong.

Also for people telling that there will be no difference from PC2, there will be, in 3 temperature is always optimal, so then if will never have cold tires, you will never ever screw a run because you have duct open enough to cool both breaks and tires to underperform.

Generally speaking it sounds like the whole tire, breaks and live track functions has been removed, instead you'll get simplified version that keep hold up a player car regardless conditions. You don't have to be concerned as a driver about it, so they said that.

My vote is yes.

Is it so difficult to implement an automated pitstop system as for example GTS ?

Pitstops are part of racing and also a great strategy factor...
People with different compounds,more or less fuel to have more or less weight...undercut strategy.

You can make an "offline career" with quick races,but at least for online racing leagues and eSports tournaments let pitstops in the game.

This game shouldn't even be named project cars (community assisted racing simulator)

I voted yes but obviously it isn't going to happen and the direction seems way off the mark for the franchise.
I truly hope this is a game to satisfy an existing contract with normal service resuming after it has been honoured but the name and SMS I fear will take a pounding.

Going back to the pitstops I'd say that it will completely remove any authenticity and immersion if you are dropped on the start line to do a practice lap or qualifying lap.
Rolling out the garage onto pit lane and then bringing the car upto temperature feeling the grip coming towards you as the lap progresses will be missed by most.
In the multiclass events one of my favourite things to do was to weigh up whether to pit early when encountering traffic.
This isn't a game aimed at me but PC2 and ACC have everything I need so PC3 will be a no.

I voted yes for the simple fact that for me Project CARS has always been a sandbox type racing game. Sure, there's a career if you're so inclined, but the majority of my own play time has been the good old fashioned "Set the track, set the car, set the race conditions and go!!!" mentality.

And for each drive, my lap count and realism conditions vary tremendously. There are occasions I want to replicate a real endurance race with wear and everything, other days I just want to get out and pound the pavement for 100 laps with no need to refuel or repair the car. Having the options to do whatever I feel like on any given day is the appeal for me, so if PC3 won't have that, then I'm not sure I'll be scrambling to get it.

That's not to say I'll avoid it entirely, heck if it's a fun enough game and at the right price, I'll happily take it. It's just from the sounds of it, the new addition to the franchise offers a bit less freedom for the drivers who like variety, both in content and driving conditions.

If doesn’t have a pit stop is just another arcade game not a sim . If I want a arcade racing game I have grand turismo .I will not gonna spend my money on them. I will carry on playing pc2

Tyres are THE most important part of the car and if you don't need to manage them... then you're not racing, you're commuting. No tyre wear means this is not a sim no matter what they say. Obviously if wear doesn't matter pits can be closed. It feels like buying a Lamborghini and just use it to commute.

Even in Sprint/single series races there can be pitstops for various reasons.

This isn't even a U turn.. it's a V-turn because it's way too sharp. Actually, Isn't it the only "sim"/driving game around WITHOUT tyre wear AND/OR pit stops at the moment?

It'll sell better than pc2 for sure especially on consoles. And with the vast majority being casual racers I get it; money is all that matters in a business.

But I have to wonder, if everything was there already was it so difficult to add a couple toggle switches?

No because pc3 is not actually a true project cars follow up. If only they had named it differently..., like Revolution they already had it right?

I'm actually interested in the new handling. That's all I can say for now. Pit stops I'd say always yes, but it is just not happening, and that should be all.

Yes they should have pit stops, fuel usage & tyre wear. Even if PC is heading in an arcade direction, pit stops are a very important part of the race. Without them, longer races & endurance races aren’t possible in the real world. (I know you can turn off Tyre wear etc. in various games, but takes the fun out of it imo)
This may sound silly to some, but without pit stops the longer races would just feel repetitive & boring. Pit stops are like having a breather, then you exit the pit feeling refreshed whether you’re in the pit lane for 30 seconds or a full minute.

Feel free to disagree or agree, I’m all for trying new things, but taking pit stops out of a racing game is ridiculous. Especially when they’ve got real world tracks + had pit stops in the previous games.

The game looks good, and I’ll still end up buying it. But pit stops are 100% needed imo.

Last edited:
In my opinion, yes! I'd admit that I don't use them that much as I don't care for endurance racing much, but I have seen the appeal of pitstops from the limited time I have used them in racing games. There's a strategy component in choosing when to change your tires and refuel your car.

I never understood the point in getting rid of this feature when GT and Forza still have them. I get they're trying to appeal to casuals, but what was wrong with leaving the option to turn fuel & tire wear off? What? Does SMS think people more often make mistakes in accidentally entering the pit lane? Because I'd tell you, I find it easier to miss the pit-lane more often than accidentally entering it.

Yes they should have pit stops, fuel usage & tyre wear. Even if PC is heading in an arcade direction, pit stops are a very important part of the race. Without them, longer races & endurance races aren’t possible in the real world. (I know you can turn off Tyre wear etc. in various games, but takes the fun out of it imo)
This may sound silly to some, but without pit stops the longer races would just feel repetitive & boring. Pit stops are like having a breather, then you exit the pit feeling refreshed whether you’re in the pit lane for 30 seconds or a full minute.

Feel free to disagree or agree, I’m all for trying new things, but taking pit stops out of a racing game is ridiculous. Especially when they’ve got real world tracks + had pit stops in the previous games.

The game looks good, and I’ll still end up buying it. But pit stops are 100% needed imo.
It's so strange to leave out pit stops and tire wear in this a game my friend, and like you I will end up buying it. Without pit stops in endurance races well strategy just went out the window.

Before knowing what pCars3 was... yes. Now that I know what pCars3 is... i don't care.

I'm OK without pitting. I would like to see cautions though for longer races.

Really? You think they'd take out pit stops, tire wear and fuel consumption and consider adding in cautions for endurance races?

Without pit stops endurance races doesn't have any sens to be honest. So i doubt they will add anything for fans of those.

For now Endurance racing in PCars 3 are just longer sprint races.

Really? You think they'd take out pit stops, tire wear and fuel consumption and consider adding in cautions for endurance races?
Never said they would consider it you just did. I said I would like it.

If they can't put in tyre wear and fuel usage, how about just adding a pit stop option - at least that way you still have a strategic element (early or late stop) and can choose to pit early if you find yourself stuck behind another car. I use pit stops without tyre wear and fuel usage to simulate driver change as used in historic racing - the races are not normally long enough to need a stop, but one is mandated which enables two drivers to share a car.

A lot of leagues use the pit stop feature to enable a comfort break during longer races.

I understand SMS logic in removing tyre wear and fuel usage, but I don't understand the decision to eliminate the option for pit stops - to me it suggests a lack of understanding on the part of the game designers / developers.

I understand SMS logic in removing tyre wear and fuel usage,

You do? I certainly don't. First of all, just as in PC2, they had the option to give people the option to turn these on or off. Second, they seem to want to appeal to casual racers but I would suggest casual racers don't do races long enough to worry about fuel or tyre wear. anyway. What am I missing?

You do? I certainly don't. First of all, just as in PC2, they had the option to give people the option to turn these on or off. Second, they seem to want to appeal to casual racers but I would suggest casual racers don't do races long enough to worry about fuel or tyre wear. anyway. What am I missing?

By understand - what I really mean is that I presume that they couldn't get the game to work satisfactorily with a pad with those features in . If that is the case - which I think is the only logical explanation - with pad users being the target audience for this game, then they had to come out.

Personally I would have preferred the options to remain, but as a non-pad using old man, obsessed with historic motorsport I am not part of the target audience for PC3 and have a different idea of "Fun" than SMS.

By understand - what I really mean is that I presume that they couldn't get the game to work satisfactorily with a pad with those features in . If that is the case - which I think is the only logical explanation - with pad users being the target audience for this game, then they had to come out.
Tire wear and fuel have nothing to do with that.

I can explain for non-pad users. :) In PCARS2, with my settings, some cars allow small course corrections while others eagerly jerk left and right. You can limit the steering according to how fast you're going with Speed Sensitivity to combat this, but then you cannot countersteer enough to correct a slide -- the driver simply will not turn the wheel far enough. You will only get the opposite lock you needed after you have spun and lost all your speed. You must either accept extra-sensitive steering or having your hands tied behind your back if you get sideways.

It's a poor compromise and rudimentary by comparison to most other console racing games, regardless if you have fresh tires, a full tank, worn tires, an empty tank, hot tires, cold tires, or perfectly warmed tires.

Wheel users often assume analog stick steering must be like driving a remote control car, and expect it to be inherently extra challenging. That's unnecessary, because developers figured out years ago that it is more effective to simulate the feedback that is missing.

A limit on turn-in simulates the feedback that you are on the edge of front tire grip, akin to wheel feedback going light. If you don't get as much steering angle as you expected, you know you are carrying too much speed. Countersteer can simulate the feedback of self-aligning torque, which I know firsthand is a guiding force on FFB wheels and in real world oversteer. The neutral stick position doesn't necessarily have to mean "straight on" -- Opposite Lock Help in PCARS2 simulates an effect similar to relaxing your grip on the wheel.

Uncoupling countersteer from the rudimentary Speed Sensitivity feature would allow turn-in to be tamed and managed independently, eliminating the compromise PCARS2 asks players to make. This is probably more or less what SMS finally figured out for PCARS3.

I've mentioned more than once before why I think SMS did what they've done:
As for PCARS3, I don't believe anything it has given up was for the sake of making the game more playable with a controller, per se. To the extent that it is about accessibility (I suspect SMS also found it quicker and easier to polish), it's just to make it more accessible in general -- not requiring players to think about cold tires, brake heat, brake ducts, proper tire compounds for the weather, fuel/pit strategies, or making sure you got the tires you expected from a pit stop.

Back