POLL: Should Project Cars 3 have pit stops?

Should Project Cars 3 have pit stops?

• Total voters
United States
Kansas City
Should Project Cars 3 have pits stops?

I just want to see how the consensus looks. I for one want them in. Its easy enough for the developer to simply add an option to turn them off for races if people do not want them.

Maybe if this thread gets enough traction it could sway some opinions at Slightly Mad Studios?

I voted yes - personally I don't mind about no tyre wear or fuel usage, although I know they are very important for some people. SMS - You can still have pit stops without tyre wear and fuel usage - for league racing they can be used as a strategic option i.e. you have a 10 minute window in which to pit early or late according to traffic - that always adds a lot of excitement and overtaking opportunities.

Pit stops are vital for longer league races and are used to provide a comfort break.

No pit stops will be a deal breaker for a lot of Hosts and therefore will impact on sales.

A very strange mistake by SMS, which hopefully can be corrected quickly via a patch - in order of magnitude this error by SMS reminds me of the decision to fit the original Austin Allegro with a square steering wheel - everyone knew it was a daft decision - even the marketing department who told me I drove most of the time with my hands straight ahead and a square wheel gave me more options as to where to place my hands - it didn't take long for BL to introduce a round wheel so it shouldn't take SMS long to correct this equally calamitous blunder!

It's not a big deal for me personally, but I voted yes because a sizeable portion of the Project CARS fanbase feels disgruntled by this decision and it would be a shame to see this game not achieve sales targets because of a removed feature.

Career mode not requiring pit stops is totally fine, but they could at least be included in the sandbox mode and online lobbies as an option.

I can probably count the amount of times I’ve used the pit stop in PC2 on one hand, same goes for Assetto Corsa and GT Sport. The only game I really pit a lot in is Formula 1, but that’s because it’s mandatory there. Not going to defend the decision but for me I don’t really care at all just as long as the racing is good.

So yeah, not going to say it’s a good decision on SMS’ part but I could honestly care less about it. It’s clear this game is going more for a sprint racing focus as opposed to longer events.

Shift games did not had those features and since Pcars 3 will be a "spiritual successor" thats what i expected to get, a game like the Shift games but with good pyhsics and i´m happy about that... Less fiddling just racing and fun... And btw this was the news from 2018 so it was long known...

But nobody seems to read the news...

Last edited:
I don't do long races often enough to use them but I still think it is a bad idea to get rid of it. pCARS 3 starts to sounds like a more competent Grid 2019 now.

Seeing that post again that @Ak1504 quoted, I suppose a charitable interpretation could be that they've decided to step back and really get things pinned down before moving forward again with these features that may have proven more challenging to balance, or to implement in a user-friendly way. (For the record, I voted Yes)

Because let's be honest, it's not like tire wear/temperature or pitstops were very user-friendly or well-balanced against the AI in PCARS2. Tires not wearing as expected, finding yourself with cold or hot tires without much guidance or feedback (while the AI is unaffected), not getting the refueling or tire change you expected from a pitstop, miscellaneous other pitstop errors...

The issue would then become more about honesty, with the sort of promises they've been making in this reveal, the way this info has unfolded, and excuses now being made. :boggled:

Seeing that post again that @Ak1504 quoted, I suppose a charitable interpretation could be that they've decided to step back and really get things pinned down before moving forward again with these features that may have proven more challenging to balance, or to implement in a user-friendly way. (For the record, I voted Yes)

Because let's be honest, it's not like tire wear/temperature or pitstops were very user-friendly or well-balanced against the AI in PCARS2. Tires not wearing as expected, finding yourself with cold or hot tires without much guidance or feedback (while the AI is unaffected), not getting the refueling or tire change you expected from a pitstop, miscellaneous other pitstop errors...

The issue would then become more about honesty, with the sort of promises they've been making in this reveal, the way this info has unfolded, and excuses now being made. :boggled:

I thought of that being a likely reason for them to cut back on it but with about 2-3 years of development time I would expected might reduce the scope of it but retain the feature at most. Like keeping tyre wear and heating around but without the multiple compounds. Instead they straight up throw them out and with optimal core tyre temperature too, this feels like a huge dumb down.

The constant jokes of calling pCARS series a simcade/semi-sim has became a reality at this point. At best it will be a better alternative to Grid 2019 and possibly a more competent Forza.

I honestly couldn't care less. It isn't dealbreaking for me in anyway whatsoever. If its been sacrificed for the sake of the racing experience and contributes to an improved AI experience and more fluid racing then that's good enough for me.

The core underlying driving physics haven't changed and have been improved upon, the AI has been improved (almost as a direct result of this tyre choice decision), and I see people criticising SMS for making a game that appeals to lots of people.

Now in a forum predominantly populated by sim racers and enthusiasts, of course the poll will swing to yes they should be included, and thats fine everyones entitled to vote on their view. But it isn't representative of everyone who will be interested in buying or want to buy this game.

I can't really have a proper opinion until I know more about about PC3. Coming from PC1 & 2 the obvious answer would be yes, but that would be basing it on what I'm used to. However PC3 would seem to be a different game and with this different approach to the genre pitstops seem superfluous. So maybe, maybe not.

Never had the attention span for endurance racing but I can see why something like this is a concern for some players.

Taking away such a core feature for racing is a backwards move, especially since other games competing against pCARS also have pit stops to varying degrees of how they're implemented.

In my opinion, it's not a game design decision but a technical decision based on how their tyres physics works (or don't).
If they could improve tyres physics / AI and solve the bugs / inconsistencies, I don't understand why it wouldn't be an option.
There would be absolutely no reason not to.

In my opinion It was a choice between wear / long term temp / pitstops and their tyres physics.

We still don't know about dynamic weather do we?

In my opinion, it's not a game design decision but a technical decision based on how their tyres physics works (or don't).
If they could improve tyres physics / AI and solve the bugs / inconsistencies, I don't understand why it wouldn't be an option.
There would be absolutely no reason not to.

In my opinion It was a choice between wear / long term temp / pitstops and their tyres physics.

We still don't know about dynamic weather do we?

Dynamic weather, time of day and seasons has been confrmed for a while.

Dynamic weather, time of day and seasons has been confrmed for a while.
Dynamic like you can change it but what about transitions between dry and wet for example ?
How could you change your tyres without pitting?
I remember SMS having a lot of problems with the transitions in multiplayer. Someone could have a soaked track and others a slightly wet one.
Dropping this feature would make sense in a technical point of view

Shift games did not had those features and since Pcars 3 will be a "spiritual successor" thats what i expected to get, a game like the Shift games but with good pyhsics and i´m happy about that... Less fiddling just racing and fun... And btw this was the news from 2018 so it was long known...

But nobody seems to read the news...

They also said ‘it’s all the sim you will need’, but you keep forgetting that!

The last Shift title released nearly a decade ago and a console generation ago, things have moved on, as an example please list the competition for PC3 which also don’t have these features?

Dynamic like you can change it but what about transitions between dry and wet for example ?
How could you change your tyres without pitting?
I remember SMS having a lot of problems with the transitions in multiplayer. Someone could have a soaked track and others a slightly wet one.
Dropping this feature would make sense in a technical point of view

They have super special magic tyres that change from slicks to wets and back again while you're driving.

I **** you not.

They have super special magic tyres that change from slicks to wets and back again while you're driving.

I **** you not.
Mouhahaha.

Do you have a link or something?
I'm a bit worried of the feel in wet...
Anyway, I think that this confirm they had a big technical issue with their tyres model.
This is pure nonsense otherwise. ^^
It could explain why they never fixed some physic related bugs.

Mouhahaha.

Anyway, I think that this confirm they had a big technical issue with their tyres model.
Here you go, direct from SMS...

Project CARS 3 Developer Blog Explains New Tire Physics, Confirms Pit Stops Are History

...magic tyre changes.

Sry i just don´t care. It will be Shift 3 for me so i'm happy. Sadly 99% here are not.
You missed a question!

Oh and it’s not just here, as you know full well.

It will be interesting to see what the general gaming public think when this hits the main gaming websites, as unless it’s seen as a positive shift that breaks new ground, then it’s unlikely to do what SMS claim it will in attracting a new audience. Radio silence on that front will not be positive either.

Last edited:
Mouhahaha.

The feel in the wet will still feel wet. The underlying driving physics are the same. It will feel like you've transitioned onto a wet track. Just like PC2, just like PC1. The main difference being there won't be a need to change the tyres.

The feel in the wet will still feel wet. The underlying driving physics are the same. It will feel like you've transitioned onto a wet track. Just like PC2, just like PC1. The main difference being there won't be a need to change the tyres.
The underlying physics will not be the same, the have already been quite clear on this, with a locked core temp it will be impossible to let the tyres get to cold or hot (outside of temporary flash heating), that is categorically not just like PC2 or PC1. Wet tracks cool slicks rapidly (carcass and core) and make a huge difference to how they behave, that is gone.

Sry i just don´t care. It will be Shift 3 for me so i'm happy. Sadly 99% here are not.
You missed a question!

It also totally removes the element of should I stay on slicks and risk it or pit for wets and hope the lost time can be pulled back.

No amount of spin makes that just like PC2 or PC1, and while it may be something you and others are 100% fine with, attempting to sell it as just the same is utterly inaccurate.

Oh and it’s not just here, as you know full well.

It will be interesting to see what the general gaming public think when this hits the main gaming websites, as unless it’s seen as a positive shift that breaks new ground, then it’s unlikely to do what SMS claim it will in attracting a new audience. Radio silence on that front will not be positive either.

I'm sure there a still Shift fans like me out there.

I'm sure there a still Shift fans like me out there.
I was a fan of the Shift series, I replayed the first one a few weeks ago, doesn’t mean that things haven’t moved on in the decade since. Hence my question that you are still avoiding.

When was the last time you replayed them? Because a lot of it’s not aged well at all.

4356F8CC-C68F-4BCE-B430-7E81548DC49B.jpeg

Back