Poll: Which wheel for PS4. Fanatec vs Thrustmaster

• Thread starter Antek
  • 27 comments

Which wheel would you prefer to buy?

• Total voters
Spain
Palma de Mallorca
Antek-79
Now that both Fanatec and Thrustmaster, have shown up their new wheels and we know the prices, the question comes. For everyone that was thinking on buying a new wheel, like I am, which is a better buy?
I'll play mostly on PS4 but thinking maybe to do it on PC in the future, although I'm a Mac user. I would like to know the opinion of other users with more experience with wheels than me. I've only had the Logitech DFGT for the PS3 and I would like to jump in quality for the PS4 wheel.

This is a very interesting thread for many users as these two wheels will be probably quite popular this year.

In order to make it more productive and to get a better overview for potential customers it would be great if you could not just place a vote but also give us the reasons why you prefer one wheel over the other.

At the moment Fanatec seems to be the winner by a clear margin. Cheaper, probably better and also looks nicer. Of course have to wait for a while to hear some impressions of the T-GT to make the final decision but at the moment it is not looking good for Thrustmaster.

Ok it's done. Just seeing the votes, and after talking to some friends that have or has had both brands, I decided to go with fanatec. I think the ecosystem and accessories are more and better in quality. Just placed the order minutes ago, CSL Elite PS4, CSL Elite Pedals, Loadcell Kit.
Sad thing is that the wheelbase is not in stock for now.
Pray to be available soon so it gets shipped quickly.
Thanks to everyone that vote and give their thoughts

The Fanatec is an extremely easy choice. Reasons.

• The rim doesn't look like a toy like the TM rim
  • Fanatec will work on both console's and PC.
  • TM price is bloody ridiculous.
  • You can buy Elite CSL with the load cell pedal set and shifter too for around the price of the TM wheel set.
  • TM has a feature that works only on one game. Not a good selling point.
  • TM reliability is a huge concern.

I've owned and still own both Fanatec and Thrustmaster wheels. In this instance I would choose Fanatec. Better quality, better value for money, compatible with more systems, much better pedals, Fanatec are a good company who, whilst trying to make a profit, genuinely want to bring products to the market for our benefit as sim racers.

At this point it seems that CSL Elite is an easy choice (suggested it to my friend and hopefully will be able to test it).
One of biggest reasons for me would be that T-GT price is way too high for what you get.
Fanatec eco system seems better (better quality rims, shifter, pedals). In case you want to upgrade to OSW DD then rims can be easily updated, not sure about the TM rims. Also, when Fanatec comes out with their own DD wheel system then expectation is that rims will be compatible without mods (?).
Fanatec CEO sometimes gets too emotional :D but at least he stands by his product and visits forums to answer questions and what not.
From what I've heard then support in Europe is easy to deal with. Have heard some weird stories about TM lately. (Hopefully no one needs it for any of these brands but HW sometimes fails).

The thing is, right now if you are already in the Thrustmaster ecosystem and just want a nice wheelbase upgrade, they won't sell you one for the PS4 except the T-GT complete set. If that changes, then the value proposition changes.

Until then, the reality is that there are 3 logical wheels for the PS4 in the different price classes: T150, T300, CSL Elite.

The thing is, right now if you are already in the Thrustmaster ecosystem and just want a nice wheelbase upgrade, they won't sell you one for the PS4 except the T-GT complete set. If that changes, then the value proposition changes.

Until then, the reality is that there are 3 logical wheels for the PS4 in the different price classes: T150, T300, CSL Elite.

I agree. The choices are pretty clear.

For me personally, TM could put out a wheel that is better than the CSW V2/2.5/CSLE but I still wouldn't buy it because of Fanatec's pedals. If Thrustmaster offered a load cell brake, I think their offerings would be far more competitive.

The new T-GT wheel just seems like are marketing exercise for Gran Turismo pods at events. The wheel rim also looks heavy, the pedals are an afterthought, the price is too high, no PC compatibility?, etc, etc. But the real kicker is I would be stuck with the package. Being able to spec out each part is a huge win for Fanatec.

Finally, I do like seeing Fanatec stop by various forums. The internet savanna of sim racing forums can be pretty unforgiving (read: frustrating), but it's better with Fanatec taking part.

I would go for the CSL, the price of the T-GT is insanily high and the looks of the rim are really questionable.

I just bought another T500 for the PS4, my worries are if it will still be compatible on PS5, something in my mind says that it won't, but it just a guess.
But i'm planning on my next wheel to be a brand new Fanatec, it will take a while, but the T500 is doing a pretty good job, i have to say.
I never tried a Fanatec wheel, but if it's much better than the T500... wow!!

After spend sometime setting up Assetto Corsa for the T500, i' love with the game(again), it feels so good at the cornering, i can really tell what's going on.

PS: Fun fact, since i bought a used T500(it's my 3rd TM wheel, so i won't spend much more money on new ones), the guy who sold it to me, send it on a CLubSport V3 pedals box. When i opened the maild cover and saw "Fanatec" i was like: "Wha.... what a hell?!" :lol::lol:

Right now I'd go for the Fanatec on looks, size of rim and compatibility with other fanatic gear plus Xbox. LLC pedals (huge) and future CSL shifter. Not sure if LLC pedals work with Thrustmaster stuff but I'd stick to the same manufacturer.

The T-GT could be best suited to GT Sport with its 4 rotary dials to change stuff on the fly and this exclusive depth feedback. No idea if the feedback is just fluff and how useful the dials are until the game ships, I'm not in the beta.

T-GT is said to work with PC.

Just to add I do prefer the neutral race car rim look like the G25 back in the day and this new PS4 Fanatec rim plus other smart Fanatec gear and more adult looking base. I know some cars now look similar to T-GT with a chunky look like the Chiron/Veyron but T-GT is just too toy looking. I could overlook if it was hands down the best bar none at this price range and there wasn't much choice on the market though.

Last edited:

Is there that much of a difference between the three wheels to warrant the price differences. Also, why are there complaints about TM pedals?

Is there that much of a difference between the three wheels to warrant the price differences. Also, why are there complaints about TM pedals?

Yes, there is a noticeable difference. The T150 to T300 gets you a far better internal motor, 3 pedals from 2 and a higher quality wheel rim. Fanatec gets you a noticeable step up in motor quality and the option for vastly superior pedals (and other accessories). Also metal construction vs plastic in most products.

On the pedals, the main difference is the load cell brake for Fanatec (CSPv3/CSLE LC). Load cells use pressure to measure input, similar to real cars. Potentiometers (what TM and Logitech use), simply measure distance (pedal travel). This means you brake with feel (LC) vs just input... which is much easier to mentally and physically process. I would also add Fanatec's metal construction is particularly important for pedals. No flex or creaking or flimsiness. IMO a good set of pedals is the single best purchase you can make if you like sim racing. Many racers in GT Academy used the CSPv1/v2s (highest end Fanatec pedals at the time) with the Fanatec Porsche/CSR wheel base (cheapest Fanatec base at the time).

Wow, there were people voting for thrustmaster.... wow....
Fanatec actually had a bad reputation in qc when Logitech and the t500 where the standard. Each has its strength. I understand you had a bad experience with TM. But I also now a ton of people who will never buy Fanatec because of pas experience. But clearly Fanatec has redeemed itself and is now a much loved brand in the market. So move on.

Fanatec redeemed, TM doesn't care. And Fanatec was in the past, TM is now and for 4 or 5 years of T300 existence.
Ts-pc is the de facto standard for e-sports though. Have rarely seen any complaints or issues about this wheel.

ECDD6606-B548-4120-BC23-CD8FC58EBED0.jpeg
T-GT is the best choice only if you mainly play GT sport and want to hv optimise experience. Otherwise must take Fanatec no doubt.

Once I experience with Deep feedback in GT sport , it’s no way back to other wheels .Badly I just only play GT sport on Ps4 now , I play AC before GTS release, and now I can’t play it anymore because the FFB interpretations just a mess.

DFB can reflect many meticulous information , let’s say while turning corner you can feel the friction noise vib to determine the tyre have grip or not , or you can feel some mechanical vib such as Engine rev and gear change while the clutch engaged .

I try other mode in GT sport , leck of above info made me feel like disconnected with the car, never hv that feeling before I try DFB ,even I hv a buttkicker installed on my rig.

I can say T-GT with DFB enabled made player hv better connect with car control, hope this feature can implant to other game in future

For GT Sport the T-GT is the best wheelbase, no doubt. For all other games you have to switch in a kind of compatibility mode ("OTHERS") to simulate a T-300, which would cost the half. So in the end you pay a lot of money for 4 rotary buttons, 2 analog sticks and a vibration effect that only work in 1! game.

For GT Sport the T-GT is the best wheelbase, no doubt. For all other games you have to switch in a kind of compatibility mode ("OTHERS") to simulate a T-300, which would cost the half. So in the end you pay a lot of money for 4 rotary buttons, 2 analog sticks and a vibration effect that only work in 1! game.
Not really accurate. You still receive the improved torque, linear power delivery, smooth FFB delivery and higher fidelity. For its asking price the wheel is expensive but for € 600 it is a good wheel. The new generation has proven itself to be very reliable indeed (TS-PC/XW, T-GT).

If only TM would expand their support for the added buttons and T-DFB feature... this wheel would be selling a lot better!

T300 100% FFB in GTS get overheat in few mins, power drop obviously, but T-GT can maintain full power over an hour. It’s smooth , much stronger and faster then T300, the weak point is the rubbish pedals and the Price .Also sadly the Wheel rim too small like a toys .

T300 100% FFB in GTS get overheat in few mins, power drop obviously, but T-GT can maintain full power over an hour. It’s smooth , much stronger and faster then T300, the weak point is the rubbish pedals and the Price .Also sadly the Wheel rim too small like a toys .
In my experience the same people who have an opinion that some rims are too small... also set their dor to 540 or less... Beats the purpose

In my experience the same people who have an opinion that some rims are too small... also set their dor to 540 or less... Beats the purpose
Too small and Toys like is 2 Issue, Too small depend on what car to use, if driving a F1 or kart the size is ok, but most of the car in GT not like this. Toys like is mean the material , such as the Fake leather and the plastic and the BiG BiG GT logo

Back