Poll: Would you like to see a new race type or game mode in Gran Turismo?

Would you like to see new race type / gamemode in Gran Turismo?

• Yes, I would like to see a new race type or game mode in the future

Votes: 56 93.3%
  • No, I am content with the current selection of race formats / game modes on offer

Votes: 4 6.7%

• Total voters
United States
New York
Define-Infinity
InfinityDI
(The race type or game mode must not be currently available through custom races, time trial or drift trial, but may be based on ideas previously touched upon by mission challenges, coffee breaks, etc.)

And if so, what particular formats or game modes would you like to see?

Feel free to drop in any ideas that you think would be novel or interesting, even if it doesn't exist in any game yet.

I would really like to see each week 6 différents races.
One ''rally'' , dirt, snow , Rallycross
Two based on gr2/3/4/C
One as race A is settings as i see since i play back mono model
Two based on PP and free set up like a 600pp and a 800pp.

No offense to OP, but I don’t know why we are doing the brainstorming/creativity part (which matters so much to a game) on behalf of PD, when one would reasonably expect them to be doing these things before the release of a game in the franchise, and if done well, it can actually boost the revenue they earn from said game.

…But this is PD we’re talking about, which has been recycling ideas such as Used Cars Dealership that popped up at least 3 franchise entries ago, and whose latest game’s most innovative feature is the Music Rally, so I’ll just give them the benefit of the doubt, shut up about their innovative deficiencies, and post my ramblings here, in the hope they will read this (or other coming contributions by other GTP members here that are equally, if not way more, innovative) and take up some ideas for their next franchise entry. /rant

Here’re some ideas that I think can fit into the Mission Challenges, or Coffee Break mini-missions in GT6(?) of old:

1. Have some Tyre Conservation challenges. Basically it’s just having players drive around a circuit within a time limit and aiming to minimize tyre wear. The developer can decide to forbid driving aids in the race, or place AI cars driving in front for player to overtake, for added challenge. You could have the 3 trophies designed around how much tyre life is left when the player crosses the finish line. This can encourage players to practise driving more smoothly (at least in-game), which can (maybe) translate to better performances in endurance missions in campaign mode. We already have tyre wear (even extreme ones, with the multipliers) implemented as a feature (together with fuel consumption) in GT7, and since we have fuel economy missions already, it seems naturally the next step would be to have these tyre conservation missions. We have a wee bit of reference stemming from real-life racing, where, if I’m not mistaken, Le Mans nowadays (or at least ~10 years ago) can have drivers triple-stint (or even quadruple-stint) their race car’s tyres for gains in time saved from heading to the pits. We can even go a bit further and have players drive a racing wet-tyred, say, XJ13 around a drying/bone-dry track. I’m not sure how feasible it’d be, like how much tyre a player can conserve by applying the string theory around corners vs. lead-footing the throttle every time the car comes out of a chicane, or what kind of hell this can be ensuing for adaptive-trigger-enabled DualSense users, but I think PD can try.
  2. Have some “slalom” cone challenges. This is a little similar to autocross events in that they also use traffic cones in an open area to designate a path for the player, but PD can make the width of the path a lot narrower/as narrow as possible while also allowing the car’s maneuverability at a certain speed. They can have penalties added to players’ finishing times due to knocked-over cones. It’s kind of similar to GT6’s Coffee Break International A Cone challenge, but PD can lock players into using the cockpit cam as a twist. This will mean that the player has to judge the distance between the cones and the 3 sides of the car (rear is excluded because you can’t see anything out of it anyways) purely from the screen and their virtual spatial ability. While VR isn’t necessary (I think), its application can also be augmented with this challenge. Again, I’m not sure how fun it’ll be driving in a strictly dictated path demarcated by cones, and perhaps even with designated speeds in each corner, but I suppose this is something PD can try before putting it into the game for release.

Once again, I’m not directing anger/frustration to anybody or any entity; in fact, I want to see PD succeed in delivering gaming joy to the mass players once again with their next installment.

I would like the licenses to be more central to player progression. Along with circuit experience.

GT7 seems to have interesting bits spread around, but it could use something other than the cafe menus to bring them all together in an integrated way.

(The race type or game mode must not be currently available through custom races, time trial or drift trial, but may be based on ideas previously touched upon by mission challenges, coffee breaks, etc.)

Feel free to drop in any ideas that you think would be novel or interesting, even if it doesn't exist in any game yet.
The bolded part is why I'll likely vote no.

1) Multi-class - you can create a custom race and select whatever cars you want. However, you cannot have three "winners" in said race. This can be done manually in a multiplayer lobby. Back in my TPRA days there were events like this. I'll always have a soft spot for that classic Alfa at Indy . . .

2) Drag Races - already exist and there have been lobby titles indicating the room was for drags/pulls and the like.

3) Drift. As above.

4) Endurance. I recall many a YouTuber running a 200 lap Nurburgring stream, so that's covered.

The only events I can think of have no real place in Gran Turismo. For example, we don't have a demolition derby option. I'm not looking for that. Adding motorcycles would be nice, but this is a car game, not GT x TT.

But reading this string has gotten me thinking, so thank you for that.

More depth to custom races...and maybe even a comprehensive way to build custom championships/seasons that players could create and offer to other players like the current liveries.

Maybe creators could also get compensation with credits...could we even have a Creator rating as well as DR and SR?

I know many guys that love to organize race events...balancing performance, stewarding...it's their thing.

I'm still wanting the return of those 'proper' point-to-point rally stages that GT5 had.
Agreed. I'd like to see some more hill climbs and point-to-point time trials. These were the first real auto tests for cars so makes a lot of sense to be in Gran Turismo.

easy...
1. 24hr races like gt3 iirc
2. drag racing
3. open world free roam around the map at the least. id love to drive my cars from one spot to the next or race around with real people online
4. qualifying lap option before a race

For starters every track needs to have certain race events, ie AWD Cup, FWD Cup, RWD Cup, MX-5 Cup, Porsche Cup.

You get the point!

1hr, 6hr, 12hr, 24hr Endurance Races on all suitable tracks.

This is a huge time commitment for any player. But for those of us deep into the game, these are the kind of things we'd like to sink our teeth into. Suitable rewards and credits are a given

Drag Events.

I'm not even into drag racing but this is so easy to implement and useful for testing cars and builds.

Hillclimbs and Point-to-Point Rally Stages (preferably tarmac).

Goodwood Hillclimb, Pikes Peak, Monte Carlo, Swiss Alps. More locations and events where it's you against the clock. Not every track needs to be built with multiplayer racing in mind. The popularity of Time Trials shows there's a big community out there who want this sort of content.

Free Play Area and Test Track Facility.

The Top Gear Test Track was often used online as a free play area. We've also had Complex String which was basically a test track set in the middle of nowhere.

New Garage Facilities and Car Display Areas.

I'm driving on Tsukuba right now and the paddock and pit area is wonderfully modelled. Lets us display cars in locations like this in-game. I also really want fully modelled garages to show off our cars inspired by real museums and collectors.

Last edited:
PD already have them. The race types, modes, etc. are done poorly.

We had the missions with low fuel warning and having to use the fuel map. The tea or coffee time drive the car through the maze lessons.

I‘d Like to see driving etiquette missions.
  • Blue Flag Missions: Do not block or impede faster cars
  • Yellow Flag Missions: At every track slow down for yellow flags and try to set a good time( similar to the GT Sport TT at Brands Hatch)
- Use manual gears to save fuel without using fuel mapping
Yes, but grid size needs to be raised considerably for that to make sense.
Indeed. PD did that GT Sport. If there was only one race to continuously race in GT Sport that was it. Still the one since servers are dead.

They need to have a proper drag race mode instead of completely half arsing it.

Otherwise they need to fix what they have. Be able to lock tuning, having more classes of car.

Basically having them put as much thought into the game as they did designing a game around buying credits with real money.

Hill Climbs/Point to Point races.
A cruise mode
In a perfect world, an online photo mode.

Last edited:
For starters every track needs to have certain race events, ie AWD Cup, FWD Cup, RWD Cup, MX-5 Cup, Porsche Cup.

You get the point!

1hr, 6hr, 12hr, 24hr Endurance Races on all suitable tracks.

This is a huge time commitment for any player. But for those of us deep into the game, these are the kind of things we'd like to sink our teeth into. Suitable rewards and credits are a given

Drag Events.

I'm not even into drag racing but this is so easy to implement and useful for testing cars and builds.

Hillclimbs and Point-to-Point Rally Stages (preferably tarmac).

Goodwood Hillclimb, Pikes Peak, Monte Carlo, Swiss Alps. More locations and events where it's you against the clock. Not every track needs to be built with multiplayer racing in mind. The popularity of Time Trials shows there's a big community out there who want this sort of content.

Free Play Area and Test Track Facility.

The Top Gear Test Track was often used online as a free play area. We've also had Complex String which was basically a test track set in the middle of nowhere.

New Garage Facilities and Car Display Areas.

I'm driving on Tsukuba right now and the paddock and pit area is wonderfully modelled. Lets us display cars in locations like this in-game. I also really want fully modelled garages to show off our cars inspired by real museums and collectors.
These are great suggestions and I agree with everything in this post.

Good to be here btw :)

I wish it was split into 2.

The first would be identical to the second except it would be void of all the (I'm going to teach you how to race) stuff. I guess almost like Arcade vs Simulation, except the payouts and such would be identical. Ideally it'd work like turning your ghost on and off, you would be able to toggle between the two if you wanted to learn vs just race. It'd save me having to put up with all the suggestions.

I'd also bring back qualifying. No way any supposed racing simulation wouldn't let you qualify. And stop with the sandbagging/rubberbanding.

Hell, I better stop now, there are so many things I'd change.

Last edited:
They need to have a proper drag race mode instead of completely half arsing it.

Otherwise they need to fix what they have. Be able to lock tuning, having more classes of car.

Basically having them put as much thought into the game as they did designing a game around buying credits with real money.
@NAXEHT Ok now I get the joke.

I'm still wanting the return of those 'proper' point-to-point rally stages that GT5 had.
Another game mode/feature I don't understand why they discontinued.
Waiting in line to stage and then drive off through the snow at night.

I think it would be kind of cool to introduce some autocross events in to the game. It could actually make for some fun weekly TT’s. There are so many tiny cars with not a lot of horsepower in the game. It’s not fun to take these cars out to big tracks where they barely need to use the brakes through the turns because they only hit 90mph. But put them in a little autocross circuit where they have to navigate around tight corners between a bunch of cones? Well then we might see these little cars shine.

Anyway, that’s my 2 cents.

Latest Posts

Back