Polyphony Digital Considering Action Against Gran Turismo 7 "Wall-Riding" Cheats

• Thread starter Famine
  • 110 comments

Famine

GTP Editor, GTPEDIA Author
Administrator
United Kingdom
Rule 12
GTP_Famine
Last edited:
Yeh but everyone's doing it so it's ok.................🤷‍♂️
sheldon.jpg
looks like some bright sparks need a sign

Last edited:
" Polyphony Digital announced that it was aware that “some players have been abusing the penalty system” "

The solution to that problem is to fix it to eliminate the ability to abuse it. Players will try to maximise their performance within what the game allows, trying to get people to not do that is futile.

This is a joke. Why dont they notice this during testing?
The same reason any other developer doesn't find things during testing: pure numbers.

The playerbase is four or five orders of magnitude (and a multiple) larger than the test team, and will very quickly discover things the developer test team wouldn't have ever discovered.

I very seriously doubt anyone ever thought "Yes, but what would happen if two people from the same esports team worked cooperatively to push each other round the track in our individually scored esports series? Would it bypass penalties for wallriding?" and then tested it. In all likelihood, the first people to discover it didn't do it on purpose either - they were just dicking about in a team session and someone spotted collision = no wallride penalty before exploiting it.

I'd imagine there's going to be some divisive opinions on what the right path of action in this case is but I think a penalization is fair. It's not exactly dissimilar to the iRacing grass dip exploit controversy during the Spa 24h, where they ended up handing one week bans, and while it's true that players will always look towards using every advantage they can get there's certain things that cross the line imo. If it was just a daily race sure, patch it, but the cups should be taken more seriously.

If there were an adequate damage model in GT7, this issue would be nonexistent.

That said, I do benefit a lot from wall riding in Single Player. My main source of income still is doing Pan American race 1 using Remote Play. Whatever measures PD takes against wallriding, I hope it doesn't affect Single Player.

I have two ideas or might have more. You're free to uh... use the poo emoji if you don't agree, to each their vision.

Corner cutting:
Why not use the old Forza Motorsport games method to enforce staying on track: Slow the car down moderately if slightly off track, slow the car down to a crawl if they cut, if they cut a whole section or chicane, do the GT Sport method: Reset them before the chicane.

Wall riding: Apply a harsh speed limiter like in the old Forza Motorsport game when you wall-ride for a second or two.

I mean, I know these are not realistic sounding but you gotta get the arsenal out.

I think the only realistic action is to cancel the round and call it a day.
No way they will go after the people who abused the (broken) system, just too much effort and lack of clear black and white guidelines to do that.

I got a win on that race, rare thing for me - quite annoyed by that turn of event.
Didn't have to wall ride, didn't even know you could still do it, and same for everyone in my race...

" Polyphony Digital announced that it was aware that “some players have been abusing the penalty system” "

The solution to that problem is to fix it to eliminate the ability to abuse it. Players will try to maximise their performance within what the game allows, trying to get people to not do that is futile.

I don’t know about that. If players are penalised for it, it might make them think twice before abusing glitches next time.

I have two ideas or might have more. You're free to uh... use the poo emoji if you don't agree, to each their vision.

Corner cutting:
Why not use the old Forza Motorsport games method to enforce staying on track: Slow the car down moderately if slightly off track, slow the car down to a crawl if they cut, if they cut a whole section or chicane, do the GT Sport method: Reset them before the chicane.

Wall riding: Apply a harsh speed limiter like in the old Forza Motorsport game when you wall-ride for a second or two.

I mean, I know these are not realistic sounding but you gotta get the arsenal out.

The problem with doing speed reductions like that is that they're often not viewed as a penalty. Sim racers want to clearly display what you did wrong and the penalty you get for it, and while GT may not be a true sim, PD are trying to make the game as close to sim as they can while still making the game accessible.

What we have right now is okay, as they display the penalty and what it was for, they just need to refine it so that it's accurate.

If you want to introduce something new to discourage wall-riding, just make a more realistic rendition of damage - wall-ride a corner at high speed should result in damage to your steering and tires on whatever side made contact.

I don’t know about that. If players are penalised for it, it might make them think twice before abusing glitches next time.
It can be ambiguous what is a glitch and what isn't, and there's no way they're going to get humans to review every single race that takes place and check the driving of every driver. Enforcement of rules in computer games has to be automated.

If PD put more thought into their frankly lazy track designs they wouldnt have wall riding in the first place. All the wall riding exploits that have been publicised are on their original tracks.

You invite players to try exploiting it when the outside barrier is just a smooth arc around the outside of the tarmac without any risk of frontal collisions.

Chicane cutting is harder to prevent by design, however proper soft barrier physics should help.

Last edited:
If PD put more thought into their frankly lazy track designs they wouldnt have wall riding in the first place. All the wall riding exploits that have been publicised are on their original tracks.

You invite players to try exploiting it when the outside barrier is just a smooth arc around the outside of the tarmac without any risk of frontal collisions.

Chicane cutting is harder to prevent by design, however proper soft barrier physics should help.

Indeed, why is that first barrier even there like that? If that were a real track the road to the right would be open for marshalling access, the back wall would just have the tyre walls. The perfectly curved barrier is completely useless....except for wallriding.

I can imagine no different to AI Sophy’s driving!
Correct. From what we saw, Sophy would have exploited every possibility to be faster. Actually, what PD should have done since we saw the first videos of how Sophy drives, is to let Sophy run on every track in the game, simply to find out where track-limits can be exploited, and to change them accordingly. That wall-riding is even possible, is a failure of programming.

It can be ambiguous what is a glitch and what isn't, and there's no way they're going to get humans to review every single race that takes place and check the driving of every driver. Enforcement of rules in computer games has to be automated.

Yes, I expect this was one of the main drivers to increase damage, you bring in 'subtle' features that limits/manages the bad behaviour. I imagine it's unlikely they'll literally sit there reviewing every race and this change is the end of result of thier review and 'taking action'.

Last edited:
The instruction video in cirquit experiances have it as the right choice to drive.....
awkward pulp fiction GIF

Last edited:
Back