Polyphony Digital Cup, 100% clean, in a stock '73 Skyline!

Dude... Off topic but your buying a house? Did you get a 200% pay rise or are you moving outside the bay. I looked around there once at houses and couldn't find anything I could afford :)

Inspired by your write up I have been trying much harder for clean races. I don’t restart if I make a mistake but I really try to keep a clean line and pass with no contact. Last night I was finishing off 1000 miles around the ring in the European hall (I like going back to that race for some reason. Nice chance to spend some time back in the 70's).......anyway........ last lap. 3 hours 41 mins of the race completed and as I round exmuhle (I think, still working out the names of the turns :) ) and there is a Honda S800 sideways on right on the racing line. Absolutely nothing I can do to avoid the collision :( .

Now obviously in real life that would have been the end of the race but damn it I cant throw away almost 4 hours of race time because the AI doesn't know how to drive.

Just saying I really respect the patience you have restarting when something like that happens. I don’t think I could do it with the AI in this game.

If you ever get your meeting sorted out count me in. I can bring a PS2 and DFP wheel with me :) I'll be bringing up the rear in the races but doing it with enthusiasm and style :)

I just found this thread from a link in a different area of GTP.

:bowdown: +++++++++++++REP

EDIT: I tried to give you REP, but got this message:
You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to Smallhorses again.
So for now it will have to be just a verbal REP.

Smallhorses
I have acquired a network switch recently, just need to get my house purchase sorted out, our huge road-trip in September, and then I'll start looking into arranging a LAN party in SF after that!

If this happens, please consider starting a thread in the new Local Gatherings sub-forum. Before moving to Austin I lived in Berkeley, then Walnut Creek, then San Francisco for seventeen years, and have family there so I still make many trips back to the Bay Area, and if scheduling conflicts do not prevent it, I may be able to join you all in some GT LAN time some time in the future.

BTW: I see from your location description you are near PIXAR, which means you are also very near my all-time favorite car dealer in the world… Fantasy Junction, which is just across the street (Park Ave) from Jobs’ & Lasseter’s playpen, sells and brokers many of the world’s greatest classic sports and race cars. As impressive as their showroom is, anyone who has never visited their shop would do themselves a favor by spending time browsing through the thousands of photos of the many cars they have sold over the years that adorn the walls of their showroom as well as several large photo albums. 👍

I first met the Bruce Trenery back in the early eighties when his shop was located in a small grungy rundown garage in the warehouse district in Berkeley. The first time I visited I couldn’t believe that inside this garage sat some of the most desirable classic exotics including a Lamborghini Miura which I drooled all over! :)

His shop in Berkeley was like a very old lump of coal. Dirty and ugly from the outside, but inside, it held flawless gems!

I used to make regular trips to his shop in Berkeley just to see what new amazing used exotic cars he was selling that week. In fact, the first sports car I bought (a ’65 Sunbeam Tiger designed by Carroll Shelby and built by Jensen) was from him over twenty years ago.

He moved to Emeryville after his business took off due to the huge jump in classic car sales during the early 90’s, as well as some well timed investments in several classic Ferraris during the eighties that quickly quadrupled in value after the unfortunate passing of Enzo in ’88.

He has built his business on a foundation of knowledge, honesty, and fair deals, and the result of that is what has made him one of the most respected and sought after premiere classic car dealers in the world.

A pilgrimage to his shop in Emeryville should be on the top of every classic car enthusiast’s list of things to do before they die! :)

Mmmmmm Fantasy Junction. :drool:
I've been in there a few times now, some of the classics they have in there are incredible, and with pricetags to match! :(
I've asked my wife for a birthday gift from there every year since we moved here, but alas none has been forthcoming yet! :P
Maybe I should have them import a '73 Skyline for me?!!!!

As for No_Good_Eclipse's questions, G.T has already answered in one way, but the pictures took a long time to get just right, it's a question of watching the replay all the way through, sometimes more than once to capture exactly the right angle or moment. Damned PD removed the ability to slo-mo and reverse replays, or repeat a single sector like you could in GT3. Makes replay reviewing a pain in GT4, since you have to watch the entire thing! At least they have the fast forward feature though!

Absolute brilliant write up, im excited by this great challenge.

These "max" files, are they replays? And if they are, is there any way of converting them to a windows compatible movie type?

The .max files are indeed replays, but since they're NTSC format for Japan/Americas you won't be able to view them from Australia which shares the PAL format with Europe. I know a few people such as daan in the PAL territory who can convert the replay files to video by PC, but I don't have his technical acumen or hardware wizardry to do it myself. :(
Sadly I'm not aware of, or friendly with anyone in the NTSC region who can make videos. There's folks out there I'm sure, but I don't know them yet. If you have any suggestions of who I should contact, please let me know. :cheers:

Only you Smallhorses would attempt soemthing this outlandish. Incredible job. +++REP. The bar has now been set for the ultimate race write up. Who will set it again...

Thanks for an excellent write up. Easily ranks alongside some of Old Geezer's and Mr. Slow's race reports. You used photo mode really well to illustrate your points and didn't skimp on the quality of the pictures either. I think I'll come back to read it all over again! :-)

Sadly I'm not aware of, or friendly with anyone in the NTSC region who can make videos. There's folks out there I'm sure, but I don't know them yet. If you have any suggestions of who I should contact, please let me know. :cheers:

Dude yes you do. I can do it for you :) Not that I actually have what in my younger days I used to know as "free time" at the moment (new baby, house move, job involving travel). But get in touch if you would like me to give it a go for you.

Wow! That's a very generous offer! :D
However, do you have a MAX Drive in order to download the replay files to in the first place? 💡
Although, thinking about it there's that conversion program for .max to .sps files kicking around somewhere that might work.
I'm not sure how large .wmv files would turn out to be for 10 multilap races with 6 competitors, but I'm certain they couldn't be hosted here. Do you know of anywhere they could be hosted. YouTube perhaps?
Don't waste your time on these if you're busy, wife & baby and moving house are much more important! ;)
We bought a place here too, will likely be moving in after we close the deal next weekend. I'm now officially broke, and a slave to Wells Fargo for the rest of my life! :grumpy: :lol:

Awesome write-up. You've inspired me to do this championship now, though, it doesn't seem as fun as the PD Cup in GT3. :(

Awesome write-up. You've inspired me to do this championship now, though, it doesn't seem as fun as the PD Cup in GT3. :(

Great writeup, reminds me of the good old days when i did GT3 one/s. :)

Yeah, sadly you're both right, this racing series isn't nearly as much fun as the GT3 version, due to the huge HP differences in entrants. In GT3 you were more or less guaranteed to have a field of 276HP "Gentlemans Agreement" Japanese cars, with maybe 1 or 2 ringers thrown in.
In GT4, you end up with a Ford GT and a Peugeot 106 in the same lineup, which sucks!
Still, as the report shows, with enough patience and dilligence, it can be made fun & interesting! 👍

Firstly well done Smallhorses! I love your contravertial attitude where you use small, lightweight cars rather than hefty power-barges. Nice one on winning too! Tough would be more than understatement. Not crashing is nigh upon impossible. You came very close to nudges with that Audi - he seemed to have it in for you! Good pictures too. They clearly show how cleanly you drive.

Wow fantastic write-up smallhorses a good read well done 👍:dopey: you must be amazing to have beaten all them in a stock 73 skyline you deserve a tick for that 👍

Amazing work AGAIN from Mr Smallhorses. You never cease to amaze me...in fact, youve just inspired me to get back in the bloody saddle and try and top that magnificent race report! Duobt i will, but its worth a try :D

Those pictures were ASTOUNDING! I really liked the report. A very interesting line up you were facing.

Too bad those gimboids at imageshack can't keep the damned things up. :grumpy:

Most of Suzuka and Nurburgring pictures have gone AWOL. :mad:

Fixing them now. :D

Whoah, just stumbled on this. Nice racing! 👍

Back