Polyphony Digital Cup - The Write-up

• Thread starter Der Alta
  • 24 comments

Der Alta

Official GTP Bouncer
Staff Emeritus
DerAlta
Well, Here it is: THe Polyhony Digital Cup write-up.
This has been a long time coming. I've spent considerable time testing, (not as much as Road Hazzard) and have now proven that it can be won in a stock Lancer EVO VI GSR.

Before anyone jumps on my case about bragging, please understand that I'm not an exceptional driver. I have spent many hours practicing, and learning the tracks, which is something anyone of you can do as well. I'll stnad by my statement that "anyone can eachieve these times, all they need are clean laps, and consistent driving"

Hold on folks, it's a long one....

Polyphony Digital Cup

The preview shows a few Lancers, a few Skylines, a Mustang and a Nissan Z concept.
So…I’m going to jump in my Lancer Evo VI GSR. The one I used to beat up the AI on the Trial Mountain Enduro.

Trial Mountain II
Settings: ASM & TCS = 0.
Downforce: 0.19/0.34

Testing Phase:
A qualifying lap of 1’39.858 landed me in 3rd place on the grid. The Camaro SS had the pole with a 1’38.365. He and most of the other cars were running a 3 or 4 lap pit strategy. If I’m running super slicks, I can run 12 laps before I have to pit. If strategy says that I have to pit at least once per race, I’m planning on using T3’s instead of T2’s. This will allow me to gain roughly 20 seconds (Figuring 1 second gain per lap. The T3’s wear out drastically fast, leaving me with a 7 lap pit schedule. Which I can’t face, having such an under powered car. In the Second test, I faced off against an NSX Type S Zero. I reloaded, and found a Corvette GS waiting for me. The third time I reloaded, I found an Elise 190 sitting on the pole. I think I can do this with the Evo VI GSR. I’m just wondering about the “Boost” the AI always seem to receive towards the end of the series.

So it’s off to the races, in my Evo VI GSR, running T2 tires.

Pit Schedule:
Lancer Evo VI GSR pitted on lap 4, 8, 12 and 16
Lancer Evo VI RS pitted on lap pitted on lap 4, 8, 12 and 16
Skyline GT_R Spec R33 pitted on lap 6 and 13
Lancer Evo VII GSR pitted on lap 4, 8, 12 and 16
Corvette Z06 pitted every other lap.
I pitted on lap 13
At this point the Skyline was 25 seconds behind me, and I was slowly gaining a second or so per lap.

Qualifying did me no good so after 3 laps, I started last on the grid. I was nearly 12 seconds behind the Vette. The only saving grace was the Vette ran super soft tires leaving it on a 2 lap pit schedule. I was able to take the lead on lap 5 when the Lancer’s pitted, and I had already passed the Skyline. I retained the lead for about 30 seconds until the Vette shouldered it’s way by me. However, it pitted the following lap, and I regained the lead, holding it until the finish line.

Results:
Skyline GT_R Spec R33: + 29.016
Lancer Evo VI RS: + 58.713
Corvette Z06: + 1’00.605
Lancer Evo VI GSR: + 1’01.952
Lancer Evo VII GSR: + 1’07.457

I’d estimate that a pit stop cost me about 22-23 seconds.

Best lap: 1’39.270 (qualifying lap)
Total time: 34’02.008
Average lap: 1’42.100

Mid-Field Raceway II

Settings: Remained the same.
I skipped qualifying, seeing as how last race it did me no favors.

I was able to gain the lead after the Lancers pitted and I then overtook the Skyline on the 6th lap.

Pit Schedule:
Skyline GT_R Spec R33 pitted on lap 7 and 14
Lancer Evo VI RS pitted on lap 5
Lancer Evo VI GSR pitted on lap 4
Lancer Evo VII GSR pitted on lap 4
Corvette Z06 pitted on every other lap
I pitted on lap 12

At this point I was leading by 18 seconds, which means with a 17 second pit stop, I’m going to come out about 1 second ahead of the Skyline. He does have one more pit stop scheduled, so I should win this race with a 20 or so second margin.

Results:
Skyline GT_R Spec R33: + 19.892
Lancer Evo VI RS: + 45.330
Lancer Evo VI GSR: + 52.087
Corvette Z06: + 53.676
Lancer Evo VII GSR: + 55.473

Best lap: 1’25.822
Total time: 29’30.508
Average lap: 1’28.525

The first five laps were miserable. The AI seemed to enjoy slamming me around. I would have run longer on my tires, but the AI bumped me around so much, that they wore out.

Rome Circuit II
I skipped the qualifying and started from the bottom of the grid.

Pit Schedule:
Lancer Evo VI GSR pitted on lap 5, 10 and 15
Lancer Evo VI RS pitted on lap 5, 10 and 15
Skyline GT_R Spec R33 pitted on lap 8 and 16
Lancer Evo VII GSR pitted on lap 5, 10 and 15
Corvette Z06 pitted on every other lap
I pitted on lap 10

Results:
Corvette Z06: + 3.738
Skyline GT_R Spec R33: + 32.937
Lancer Evo VI RS: + 35.238
Lancer Evo VI GSR: + 38.835
Lancer Evo VII GSR: +47.352

Best lap: 1’40.435
Total time: 34’39.554
Average lap: 1’43.978

With the Vette bumping the Skyline to second place, it upsets the points race, and pushes me to a 14 point lead at the end of the third race.

Special Stage Route 5 II
I skipped qualifying and started from the back of the pack.

Pit Schedule:
Skyline GT_R Spec R33 pitted on lap 4, 8, 12 and 16
Corvette Z06 pitted every other lap
I pitted on lap 11

Results:
Skyline GT_R Spec R33: + 1’03.708
Lancer Evo VI GSR: + 1’19.207
Lancer Evo VI RS: + 1’25.778
Lancer Evo VII GSR: + 1’26.246
Corvette Z06: + 1’34.041

Best lap: 1’36.934
Total time: 33’25.172
Average lap: 1’40.259

Notes of inconsequence:
I spun the car on lap 7 coming into the first corner, the backend of the lancer is so light when the suspension is unloaded. The oil light came on in lap 7. At the end I was mere seconds shy of lapping the Vette. What really surprised me is that I didn’t find the best line through the final tunnel, until the last lap. and it was the vette that showed me were it was. Also the oil has drained me from 376 hp to 306 hp.

Seattle Circuit II
Skipped qualifying again, so starting from the back of the pack

Pit Schedule:
Skyline GT_R Spec R33 pitted on lap 4, 8, 12 and 16
I pitted on lap 10

Results:
Corvette Z06: 37’16.535
Me: + 1.786
Lancer Evo VI GSR: + 24.643
Skyline GT_R Spec R33: + 37.407
Lancer Evo VII GSR: + 54.802
Lancer Evo VI RS: + 55.022

Best lap: 1’48.643
Total time: 37’18.321
Average lap: 1’51.916

Let me reiterate: I hate this track. The lancer was utterly unpredictable on this track, over rotating one corner, understeering into the next corner. Braking distances changed from one lap to the next. So I take the second place win, and will come back later with a bazooka and wrap this one up with less stress. Let me tell you a bit about AI abuse. They rode me into so many corners, and used me for brakes so often. In one instance, they tried to go three wide through the chicane at the start/finish line. Of course the one car that got left behind due to the collision was me.

I was able to finally gain the lead at the beginning of lap 17, only to lose it to the Vette 40 seconds later. I regained it on the 18th lap (when the Vette pitted), holding it all the way until lap 20, when the Vette again rode me into a wall through the two 45 degree corners after the hairpin. I managed to slam the Vette twice more, but couldn’t regain the lead.

Even with this second place finish, I’m still 21 points in the lead.

Apricot Hill Raceway II
Skipped qualifying, as it never seems to get me anywhere.

Pit Schedule:
Lancer Evo VI GSR pitted on lap 3, 6, 9, 12, 15 and 18
Lancer Evo VI RS pitted on lap 4, 8, 12 and 16
Skyline GT_R Spec R33 pitted on lap 6, 12 and 18
Lancer Evo VII GSR pitted on lap 3, 6, 9, 12, 15 and 18
I pitted on lap 10

Results:
Skyline GT_R Spec R33: + 58.717
Lancer Evo VI RS: + 1 lap
Corvette Z06: + 1 lap
Lancer Evo VI GSR: + 1 lap
Lancer Evo VII GSR: + 1 lap

Best lap: 1’34.896
Total time: 32’40.800
Average lap: 1’38.040

Sad, Sad, Sad showing for the AI. Yet on the previous track, I could barely keep up with the AI, and here, I smoke them…?

Deep Forest Raceway II
Skipped qualifying and started from the back of the pack.

Pit Schedule:
Lancer Evo VI RS pitted on lap 5, 10, and 15
I pitted on lap 11

Results:
Skyline GT_R Spec R33: + 49.872
Lancer Evo VI GSR: + 1’07.508
Lancer Evo VII GSR: + 1’09.190
Lancer Evo VI RS: + 1’20.546
Corvette Z06: + 1 lap

Best lap: 1’25.405
Total time: 29’23.221
Average lap: 1’28.161

Interesting note. I ran this race last night and lost by about 2 seconds. Just didn’t have the concentration and intensity needed to nail this race. My fastest the previous night had been 1’27.161. This morning I’m 1.5 seconds faster on my fast lap.

Special Stage Route 11 II

Pit Schedule:
Lancer Evo VI RS pitted on lap 5, 10, and 15
I pitted on lap 10

Results:
Skyline GT_R Spec R33: + 9.713
Lancer Evo VI RS: + 18.053
Lancer Evo VI GSR: + 35.281
Lancer Evo VII GSR: +1’08.097
Corvette Z06: + 1’10.326

Best lap: 2’15.424
Total time: 46’29.657
Average lap: 2’19.483

Series Status:
At this point I am leading by 33 points, which means I can skip out of the next two races, and still take the series win. However, I am very interested to see if the AI receives a boost in this race. Knowing about the previous series that the AI do get a boost, I’m wondering if it will take effect in an event that regulates a normal car. I’m also trying to keep my win percentage as high as possible. So I’ll try to win the next two races, and only have to repeat Seattle.

Grand Valley Speedway II

Pit Schedule:
Lancer Evo VI GSR pitted on lap 3, 6, 9, 12, 15 and 18
Lancer Evo VI RS pitted on lap 4, 8, 12 and 16
Skyline GT_R Spec R33 pitted on lap 6, 12 and 18
Lancer Evo VII GSR pitted on lap 3, 6, 9, 12, 15 and 18
I pitted on lap 11

Results:
Skyline GT_R Spec R33: + 50.499
Lancer Evo VI RS: + 1’35.455
Lancer Evo VI GSR: + 1’35.655
Corvette Z06: + 1’36.093
Lancer Evo VII GSR: + 2’00.295

Best lap: 2’11.605
Total time: 45’04.527
Average lap: 2’15.226

Coming into the “S” corners, on the first lap (20 seconds into the race, I round the corner and find the EVO VII GSR staring me in the face. Apparently spun out in corner by another AI. I found that letting the tailend loose in a few select corners, (second tunnel through the third) allowed me to gain time on the AI. I also found that I could gain 1-1.5 seconds in the hairpin alone. The AI never seemed to get it right.

I battled with the Skyline for the lead, through laps 4 and 5. Finally taking the lead at the hairpin during the 5th lap. I then began gradually lengthening my lead, to the end of the 6th lap when the Skyline pitted. I held this lead through the rest of the race. My lead was sufficient enough that the Skyline only came within 3 seconds of me. He subsequently pitted on lap 12, recomposing the lead that I had been running.

I’ve decided that I am going to quit out of the next race. Given the list of cars that are on the win list, I only want the Speed 12. I’ve already got an Escudo and a GT-one car. I’ve also got the F094/H, which I’m using in the Formula one championship. All of my car needs are met, I now desire the Speed 12.

Results of the series
Me: 86 points
Skyline GT_R Spec R33: 49 points
Lancer Evo VI RS: 29 points
Corvette Z06: 29 points
Lancer Evo VI GSR: 27 points
Lancer Evo VII GSR: 14 points

This total me out with 400,000 for 8 golds ( zilch for the silver), 400,000 for the Series win and “sunset Pearlescdent” TVR speed 12. Which puts me over the 11,000,000cr mark.

Thoughts
I never did see the boost that the AI usually get in a series race. Seems the “Normal car” regulation took care of that. This series was decided solely on pit schedule, with ability playing into it a bit. Due to me being able to run enough laps to only pit once per race left me with a considerable advantage. I’m still shaking my head about Seattle and Apricot Hill. The combination of my inability to place a clean smooth lap at Seattle and the Vette being all hooked up on that track, was devastating. I’m certain that with 3 or 4 more tries at running that track I could have won it.

I’m not sure what happened at Apricot Hill. That is one of my favorite tracks, and I have logged a few hundred laps around it, but it doesn’t explain how I managed to lap 4 out of the 5 AI cars.

My lancer now has 651.5 miles on it. Bottomed out at 306 hp. After the oil change, it bounced up to 321 hp. I noticed that I never noted the power at the beginning of the series.

I jumped into my GT-one Road Car and headed to Tokyo.

Tokyo Route 246 II
Skipped qualifying, and started from the back of the pack.

Pit Schedule:
Skyline GT_R Vspec R32 pitted on lap 4, 8, 12 and 16
Lancer Evo VI GSR TME pitted on lap 4, 8, 12 and 16
Mustang SVT pitted on lap 7 and 14
I didn’t pit

Results:
Mustang SVT: + 4 laps (33’15.848)
Corvette Z06: + 4 laps (34’00.700)
Skyline GT_R Vspec R32: + 4 laps (34’06.017)
Lancer Evo VI GSR TME: + 4 laps (34’07.716)
Lancer Evo VI GSR: + 4 laps (34’14.559)

Best lap: 1’35.160
Total time: 33’06.798
Average lap:

I’m 50,000 richer, but this was a slaughter. I’m returning to Seattle now, same car.

Return to Seattle II
Skipped qualifying again, so starting from the back of the pack

Pit Schedule:
NSX pitted on lap 7 and 14
Mazda RX-7 pitted on lap 11
Impreza pitted on lap 7 and 14
XKR Coupe pitted on lap 5, 10 and 15
I didn’t pit

Results:
NSX Type S Zero: + 2 laps (33’10.654)
Impreza 22B Sti: +2 laps (33’33.026)
Mazda RX-7: + 2 laps (33’54.377)
XKR Coupe: + 3 laps (32’21.661)
Lancer Evo VII GSR: + 3 laps (32’33.835)

Best lap: 1’32.164
Total time: 32’20.829
Average lap:

I have no love for this track, and am quite happy that I only have to run it one more time to hit 100%. Now that I’ve wrapped up the last two tracks, the PD cup is complete.

Now the only thing that remains in the compendium is the Formula GT. Which you can see here. This was done in my previous game save, so I'm going to redo it, take notes, and compare how I've improved.

Congrats, if you've read this far.

AO

Great job on the PD Cup, DA! I'd never have thought the LANCER would be able to hold and sweep this series. The 3 times I've raced this series (I haven't raced it more than once for a particular gamesave), I've used the Viper GTSR Concept twice, and the TVR Speed 12 once. All were blowouts. The only other car I wanted to try was the Tuscan Speed 6, but I have yet to even try one lap for it in this series (or the other normal car races)...

But a LANCER?? You're a freak to even think of such a thing (even though the AI selects one or two)! You're even more of a freak to actually win this series! Congratulations are more than deserved for this one...

And as a side note, I forgot to check my previous (first) attempt at "perfect" for the PD Cup data... Man, I'm totally sorry about letting this one slip my memory, but I have the finishing times for that run if you'd like them (for post-race analysis, and perhaps future runs). The opposing field consisted of (in default starting order): Corvette Z06, Mustang SVT Cobra R, Nissan Z Concept, LANCER Evolution VI GSR T.M.E.(stripe,J), and the XKR Coupe. Just lemme know and I'll post what happened. I don't have the pit schedules for the opponents, but I have their finishing positions and total race times. Most races had them finishing at least 1 lap behind, with the Nissan Z Concept placing 2nd in all races...

Anyway, great job again on the hard-fought win! I just hope someday you don't come back and say "I just won the Formula GT with the [Viper GTSR Concept/ALTEZZA LM Race Car]"!! If you do, back to the drawing board for my "perfect" game... SO DON'T EVEN TRY IT!!! LOL ;)

OK, Have a great drive!!

Hazzard

Like Ving says, Don't underestimate the lancer. It is a formidable car in the game.

As for being a freak, I wanted to test this out and see what low powered car can win this series. I have complete confidence that most people out there could do the same. I'm not an exceptional driver. All it takes are clean laps, and smooth acceleration control.

The remaining piece to the compendium puzzle is the Formula One championship. While I'd like to think that I could run it in a Viper Oreca, I'm not that confident. I will instead be running it in an F094/H. I know it will be a blow out, but I'm interested to see what may differ from my first run .

Maybe after that and a bit of OLR, I'll come back in another car and attempt it.

Thanks for the kudo's

AO

Wow! I love this. I was actually thinking of doing the PD Cup in my Lancer Evo 5 as a joke, but now, I know its possible. Great write up and keep up the good work. :thumbsup:

OA

hey dun worry bout the speed 6
its pretty nice in PD series... although i did get the Z concept in mine.. it was UGLY.....
it was like... a 2 person race.. lol

This is going to be an interesting test to use a Z28 for this race. Considering that I took the field out with the Z28 at Laguna, I think I should be able to do it on this course. It is going to be a tough race with only two points I use for passing. I don't think I have the power ratio to pass the 350Z on this course. I will update this when I see During a clean race if I can beat it out.

I did this one in the RX8, max Hp was 299 I think and it bottomed out (2nd or 3rd race) at like 281. I had no problems with comfortable wins except (can you guess der_alta?) Seatle which I blew for appearantly the exact same reason as you. I did go back with the RX8 latter and with fresh oil and smoked them. I ran T4's and pitted twice in some races (lap 7&14) and only once in others. The fastest AI was a Skyline, a Vspech II (r34) I think, but he pitted every 3 or 4 laps. Interesting was that the 2nd place AI was a elise 190 that was 2-3 seconds a lap slower than all other cars but never pitted. I think the RX8 was fun it handles really well and that made the differance. I tried quite a few cars in the high 200 and low 300 hp range and the RX8 seemed the best suited. It turned out to be a little faster than I tought thus less Ai competition, but it was a fun series.

Turismo Vision

Welcome back folks, this is your semi-coherent Announcer Miata13b. Today we have a stellar race at our hands. Hanging out at Grand Valley II(counter-clockwise), we find ourselves with a field of competitors from all over. Representing Japan, we have the Lancer Evo VI TME, GTR-R33, Nissan 350Z and The Lancer Evo VI rs. From America we have the Mustang Cobra and the Camaro SS. THere has been a lot of talk over the driver of the camaro today. Some even say he will become legend some day. Lets go down to the starting grid.

#1 Nissan R33 GTR
#2 Lancer EVO VI TME
#3 Nissan 350Z
#4 Mustang Cobra SVT
$5 Lancer Evo VI rs
#6 Camaro SS (me)

There was some fierce competition going on today. An amazing battle between the Cobra and SS was all over our highlight reels over here. This is how it played out.

Going into turn 7 the Cobra is in the lead. The SS takes the inside of turn 7 and brakes late into it. accellerating moderately the SS loses a little grip, putting it into the outside of turn 7. The Cobra is Cobra is still in the lead going into turn 8. The SS takes an unorthodox approach to turn 8 on the inside. The late breaking tactic seems to be working for the SS, It goes from the inside to outside of the turn where the Cobra is taking an outside to inside approach. They are neck and neck at this point. The SS seems to be taking the lead going at 67mph where the Cobra is only going 64mph. on the apex of turn 8. Lead - SS by .705 at the split time. At turn 11 things for the SS went downhill, after slowing down too much the Cobra takes the lead, going through the straight an finally into turn 3. The SS takes an outside exit of the turn where the Cobra took the inside. There is about a quater of a car lengths serparating the two. On Turn 4 the inside line still seems to be working for the camaro. After a gap between the cars of half a foot, the Cobra starts going into the barrier slow it is forced to slow down. The SS then takes the lead on the exit and leaves the Cobra in the dust. That folks Deserves the GTPLANET Clash of the Day.

A total time of 44'11.894 seconds it took for the SS to take First place.
Best lap of the day was 2'08.551 by the SS

#1 SS
#2 R33 - 1'50.255
#3 Evo VI TME
#4 350Z
#5 Cobra
#6 Evo VI rs.

Well folks that wraps up another edition of Turismo Vision. Please join us next week when a surprise is in store for all of us. Goodnight from Grand Valley.

Miata13B:

A completely different approach to the way I do the write-ups, and I like it! My flair for fluid and character driven writing isn't anywhere near as good as yours so it's an excellent job you've done. I'm eagerly looking forward to a few more of these.

AO

I think you may be looking for a tough race. The Fiat is FF, and most that you will face will be FR or 4wd.

I'd be interested in seeing the results.

AO

Ummmmmmmmmmm, correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't the PD Cup for stock cars only?

Originally posted by neon_duke
Ummmmmmmmmmm, correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't the PD Cup for stock cars only?

Sorry that must have been a different race then but I am sure I used an XJ220 for the PD cup as well?

That's cool, if it was stock it would certainly qualify as long as it was the road car (obviously).

Interesting write ups guys I am about to do it in the standard Lotus Esprit V8, it will be a piece of cake but I dont have the skill yet to use the Lancer,tried it in the WRX Scooby but I just got blown away I am tempted to give it a go in the motorsports Elise tho..

So what makes yo uthink you can't do it in the WRX? It is comparable to the EVO that I ran. So you know it's a blow-out already, give it a shot in a car that you are certain you can win 7 out of 10 tracks. This means that for three tracks, you'll be sweating bullets, betting on Pit strategy, and constantly worrying about your lines and braking points.

If you manage to win with a car that you thought might do it, you'll be happier with the results than you'll have with the Lotus.

Good luck, enjoy the races and tell us how it comes out.

AO

OK, I think this is my next challenge since I don't feel like tweaking at the moment. I want to use a car with which I have little or no experience. I've got a couple candidates in mind, though I had not remembered what anybody in this thread used. I wasn't really payting attention to lap times; just qualifying position and how red or blue the lap split times are. I'm planning on using T2s and a midpoint pit strategy.

1) RX-8: Handles like a dream, seems easy on tires. Torqueless Wonder, up against Skylines though? That worries me for later in the series. I think I got 2nd spot with this one.

2) R34 Skyline. Handled better than I thought, easier on tires than I expected. Slides around a lot and I think it will be tough to be consistent in.

3) Camaro SS. Slowest of the bunch though I gave it fewer laps and it drew a tougher field. Handles well but low redline keeps it huffing a little. Farthest off the pole.

4) NSX Type R: I love the Raybrig but I only have about 20 miles experience in the street versions. At 279 the Type R has about 20 less hp than the Type Zero. Seems like it will be fast and consistent and easy on tires. Will it be too much? I don't want a blowout - I just want to win the last few races despite dirty oil.

I like Lancers and I have a stock Evo VII I could use. But I drove a Lancer for the second 2/3 of Beginner and the first 1/3 of Amateur, and I'd really like to try something new.

Anybody have comments or suggestions?

Originally posted by Der Alta
Miata13B:

A completely different approach to the way I do the write-ups, and I like it! My flair for fluid and character driven writing isn't anywhere near as good as yours so it's an excellent job you've done. I'm eagerly looking forward to a few more of these.

AO
Thanks Der Alta, I have been wrapped up in an OLR right now, so it has been difficult to write anything recently. I am not sure if I posted my American Horsepower write-up or not yet. I will search for it and see if I spot it, if not I will have that up.

Neon, if you are running the slowest times with the SS, all those cars would be more then able to sweep the field with. try the Mustang see what it can do :)

I decided to use the Lotus Esprit V8(monaco white Roger moore/James Bond stylee) and yes it was a piece of the proverbial. I wanted easy wins tho because I am going for a 100% win ratio shame actualy for the first time I have ever seen the AI were running a realistic pit strategy with no 'hare' car running on super softs, once I have completed the game I will give it another go with something more equally powered.

Back