Pontiac Trans AM - What do you think of the 3rd generation?

  • Thread starter Thread starter nick09
  • 31 comments
  • 21,257 views

nick09

(Banned)
Messages
6,169
United States
NY
Messages
nlck09
I have been watching the 1980's show Knight Rider recently and I have been getting interested into the car. I have a preference on manual and I'm considering the leg room as I am 6ft tall. So I plan on using the car for everyday driving if I decide on getting it.
 
I've driven quite a few 3rd gen F-Bodies, and I have to say, I love them. They ride a little rough, have some quality issues (weird rattles etc) but overall they are nice. Plus the driving position is just amazing. You sit real low and the wheel just falls into where your arms will be. The only problem will be finding a manual. Most of these cars were Autos, and every factory 350 car came with only Auto. There are *some* V6 and 305 5 speeds, but you'll have to look hard.
 
I have found a 1987 Pontiac firebird formula for 4K with 87K miles. It's a V8 5.0L with a manual 5 speed. Is that a good price for it's year and mileage?

I'm only looking around but I should really be getting a car for summer.
 
Nasty, plasticky interior, chassis flex is an issue (so avoid T-top models because they're even worse), and then there's more issues with what they pack underneath the hood...

No manual model ever got a 350, they were all 305s. The 305 H.O was also automatic-only.

So either you row your own and sacrifice a good turn of speed, or you deal with a slushbox yet get decent power. And still lose to Fox Mustangs.

EDIT: The Formula sounds like a *decent* idea, but it's still a 3rd gen. Ah well at least it looks good... In a weird 1980s sort of way.
 
Well I'm pulling that 4K deal as my brother says the dealer always has cars with a aspect of really bad quality for so much. I'm thinking of a third generation Camaro now.
 
3rd gen is a 3rd gen either way, the TA/Firebird would be slightly nicer inside in theory however as it is supposed to be more... Upmarket.
 
Oh so the Firebird would be more roomy?
 
No, just more luxurious.

They are the EXACT same car aside from a few body panels and interior.
 
I have been watching the 1980's show Knight Rider recently and I have been getting interested into the car. I have a preference on manual and I'm considering the leg room as I am 6ft tall. So I plan on using the car for everyday driving if I decide on getting it.

I am 6ft and ~187lbs and I fit perfectly in my 3rd gen. I also fit when I was 258lbs. A manual 305 TPI car will be fun and make a great noise. The cars handle better than people think and will definately turn heads.

I've driven quite a few 3rd gen F-Bodies, and I have to say, I love them. They ride a little rough, have some quality issues (weird rattles etc) but overall they are nice. Plus the driving position is just amazing. You sit real low and the wheel just falls into where your arms will be. The only problem will be finding a manual. Most of these cars were Autos, and every factory 350 car came with only Auto. There are *some* V6 and 305 5 speeds, but you'll have to look hard.

The statement in bold is absolutely correct. As for the rattles and etc, nothing some insulation, and rubber gromets won't take care of.

I have found a 1987 Pontiac firebird formula for 4K with 87K miles. It's a V8 5.0L with a manual 5 speed. Is that a good price for it's year and mileage?

I'm only looking around but I should really be getting a car for summer.

That's a fantastic price if those are original miles and the car is all original. But expect any Formula or Trans-Am to be much more expensive than about any other 3rd gen minus IROC verts or 1LE Z28's.

Nasty, plasticky interior, chassis flex is an issue (so avoid T-top models because they're even worse), and then there's more issues with what they pack underneath the hood...

No manual model ever got a 350, they were all 305s. The 305 H.O was also automatic-only.

So either you row your own and sacrifice a good turn of speed, or you deal with a slushbox yet get decent power. And still lose to Fox Mustangs.

EDIT: The Formula sounds like a *decent* idea, but it's still a 3rd gen. Ah well at least it looks good... In a weird 1980s sort of way.

If by the bold statement you meant emissions choked then yes, but if you mean unreliable then you are quite incorrect. And 3rd gen V8's are not slow, they aren't really fast but they aren't slow. Formula's and Trans-Ams are decently quick while looking good. Plus as with any Fbody you can tune the hell out of it for next to nothing and get some serious power.
 
My dad has an 85 T/A with a 305, auto, and T tops. I've been DD'ing it for about 2 months now while my Tbird is under the knife. The 305 is nowhere near as strong as my Tbird's stock 5.0HO was, but runs great nonetheless. Very fun car with the T tops off! Handles very well also. Just get some subframe connectors and nice tires for it :) (dad's car has the WS6 suspension).
 
Last edited:
JCE
If by the bold statement you meant emissions choked then yes, but if you mean unreliable then you are quite incorrect. And 3rd gen V8's are not slow, they aren't really fast but they aren't slow. Formula's and Trans-Ams are decently quick while looking good. Plus as with any Fbody you can tune the hell out of it for next to nothing and get some serious power.

Emissions choked and somewhat gutless was what I was getting at (they've got tons of guts right off idle but not much past that), certainly not unreliable. 250k-and-change miles on a stock bottom end is far from unreliable ;)
 
My dad has a '89 Camaro IROC. 305, manual, T-tops. Handles pretty nicely (i.e. like it's on rails), and the motor's pretty strong, actually. (I think ours isn't quite stock, though; the car's seen 145 mph.) If you can find a decent TA, I say go for it.
 
really cool car and sounds awesome, even if mine is just a v6. im just under 6ft and while the seat could do with going back a tad more i think its adequate legroom...and actually i quite like the interior with the neat door handles and the radio with manual equalizer :dopey: reliable cars and reasonable mpg too :) check for dodgy t-top seals, hatch pull down motor and the struts too, nothing major but worth noting
 
Four grand? That seems a bit high. You can usually swing a (roughly as fast) 1995-ish V6 4th Gen for that price. I wouldn't, because I don't like early 4th gen Firebirds (and while it incredibly easy to get power out of 3800s, it isn't absurdly easy like it is with 305s), but just putting that out there.
 
Four grand? That seems a bit high. You can usually swing a (roughly as fast) 1995-ish V6 4th Gen for that price. I wouldn't, because I don't like early 4th gen Firebirds (and while it incredibly easy to get power out of 3800s, it isn't absurdly easy like it is with 305s), but just putting that out there.


305's are not absurdly easy to get power out of. They are ok but there is not much to do to them for cheap. Not compared to the 350's. The V6's are crap too. It was the 3400 series until 96 or 97.

I love the way the 3rd gen's look but the performance in the power department needs help. They hanlde great from what I've heard. Never ridden in one.


You can get a 4th gen LT1 for about that price if you look hard. I got a friend with 94 Z28 M6 for $3k.
 
Why would you waste money on a 4th gen when the 3rd gen can take the 4th gen drivetrain and look 50x better? :D

305's can get mild tuned to have 275-300bhp and highly tuned to have 300-400bhp. Add a turbo and you might hit 500bhp. Granted it can't make 350 power but you CAN get power from them.
 
Yeah, 3rd gen looks a lot better than 4th, I feel. I actually kind of like them, in a secret dark corner of my heart that likes hooligan cars and such. Just wish they had more power, but they do have torque, and I have seem them perform well at autocross.

The 5.0 Fox Mustang is probably a better car to work on, as it just has a stupid huge amount of support, but they both are decent torquey cars, if you can get over the typical interior quality and random rattles.
 
JCE
Why would you waste money on a 4th gen when the 3rd gen can take the 4th gen drivetrain and look 50x better? :D

305's can get mild tuned to have 275-300bhp and highly tuned to have 300-400bhp. Add a turbo and you might hit 500bhp. Granted it can't make 350 power but you CAN get power from them.

Can't you stroke that motor into a 350, anyway? or am I mistaken?
 
Unfortunately, no. The 305 is smaller bore and the block won't take being knocked out to a 4" bore.
 
Can't you stroke that motor into a 350, anyway? or am I mistaken?

He's right. You can stroke a 305 but you can't get it more than a 323? Or some similar number. The best thing to do to a stock 305 is heads, cams, crank and full exhaust. That alone is probably worth at least 100~120bhp and countless torques. :D
 
Easy. Someone in my Fbody club got 35bhp from some long tubes, high-flo cat and a good muffler.
 
250 or so horsepower on a Firebird doesn't sound so bad for a cheap starting point. Formulas came with all of the handling bits, right?
 
JCE
He's right. You can stroke a 305 but you can't get it more than a 323? Or some similar number. The best thing to do to a stock 305 is heads, cams, crank and full exhaust. That alone is probably worth at least 100~120bhp and countless torques. :D

But you're still only at right around 300hp. And at a price point where you could've swapped an LT1 in.
 
It's too busy waiting to drag a pair of Mark VIIIs to Lapeer.

EDIT: Actually... Hmm, there's an idea. Maybe.


No, no, shoot me for even thinking about a 4.6 DOHC in a 3rd gen. :lol:
 
LT1? Where is your sense of adventure?

Glad someone else gets it. :D

It's too busy waiting to drag a pair of Mark VIIIs to Lapeer.

EDIT: Actually... Hmm, there's an idea. Maybe.


No, no, shoot me for even thinking about a 4.6 DOHC in a 3rd gen. :lol:

I've already thought of it...it won't fit. :lol:
 
JCE
Why would you waste money on a 4th gen when the 3rd gen can take the 4th gen drivetrain and look 50x better? :D

305's can get mild tuned to have 275-300bhp and highly tuned to have 300-400bhp. Add a turbo and you might hit 500bhp. Granted it can't make 350 power but you CAN get power from them.


Ouch! :lol:

It's all good man I love both 3rd and 4th gens. 92 Firehawks make me :drool:


I would love to have an IROC Z or a 92 Formula with a LS9 swap. :D
 
I believe George Barris did the mild custom work (strobe light for grille and interior) to create KITT for the TV series, hair&makeup did a lot more to da Hoff!:)

Although the show showed KITT going up to 200 mph, the car used for the original season had the LG4 145 hp 305 and 3 speed auto, so I think 110 mph would have been more accurate, even so it's a sweet ride.👍

best_picture_ever.jpg


Firebird 6.6
 
Back