Pontic G6

  • Thread starter Thread starter importfan1
  • 61 comments
  • 2,070 views
Let me tell you something. The Aveo doesn't really grab my attention. The ads say it's so roomy on the inside. I was at the Houston Auto Show this year, and I got into it. My skinny, 6-foot tall self almost had my knees to the steering wheel. Roomy my ass. I'd rather get a Civic or an Accord. The Cobalt seems pretty nice from the Bowtie boys and girls. I don't see myself in it, but about the only Pontiac I see myself in is the GTO. Read "So So GTO" to know more on what I think about that machine.

That "Youth Division" V. Vance speaks of includes the GTO of then, among others. With young 'uns into Scions and Hondas/Acuras now, horsepower performers were the wave of young 'uns then. I kind of like the Vibe. I probably said that the machine kind of can't decide whether it wants to be a hatchback or an SUV. You take a look at the picture above, you kind of can't tell which is which for it. If it were an SUV, I'd say it's a pretty fast one at that. I'd love to have that over the Ass-tek. It would be a pretty rugged hatchback as well. When I seen this machine at the Houston Auto Show, it kind of seemed similar to the Toyota Matrix. No. No kidding. Both of them kind of seemed the same. The Vibe is sportier while the Matrix kind of wants to do everything at one time. And as a Toyota fan, I'm probably sure it does.

But let's face it, the G6 is pretty much a different version of the Grand Prix or Grand Am, just more agressive looking with almost no attention to style. And as far as "flagship model," I guess that title was earned by the GTO. Unless GM makes a smaller, less powerful version of the GTO, I'd probably call it the flagship car. Other than that, the GTO is probably the flagship car for the newest Pontiac models.
 
JohnBM01
Let me tell you something. The Aveo doesn't really grab my attention. The ads say it's so roomy on the inside. I was at the Houston Auto Show this year, and I got into it. My skinny, 6-foot tall self almost had my knees to the steering wheel. Roomy my ass.

It's roomy in the back:

Rear leg room
Hatches
Scion xB 5-door: 38.0"
Scion xA 5-door: 37.6"
Mazda 3 5-door: 36.3"
Ford Focus ZX5 5-door: 37.6"
Chevrolet Aveo 5-door: 35.4"
Kia Spectra5 5-door: 35.4"
Suzuki Aerio SX 5-door: 35.2"
Hyundai Elantra GT 5-door: 35.0"
Ford Focus ZX3 3-door: 34.8"
Subaru Impreza 5-door: 33.7"
Volkswagen Golf 3-door/5-door: 33.5"
Volkswagen Jetta 5-door: 33.5"
Honda Civic Si 3-door: 33.0"
Hyundai Accent 3-door: 32.8"
Kia Rio Cinco 5-door: 32.7"

The Aveo hatch is only not roomier in the rear that the Ford Focus ZX5, and Mazda 3, which can easily be worked to double the Aveo's price, and the two Scions, which are practically minivans. And it's roomier than several station wagons.

Sedans
Ford Focus: 37.6"
Suzuki Forenza: 36.7"
Mitsubishi Lancer: 36.6"
Mazda 3: 36.3"
Honda Civic: 36.0"
Suzuki Aerio: 36.0"
Chevrolet Aveo: 35.4"
Kia Spectra: 35.4"
Toyota Corolla: 35.4"
Toyota Echo: 35.2"
Hyundai Elantra: 35.0"
Dodge Neon: 34.8"
Chevrolet Cavalier: 34.4"
Nissan Sentra: 33.7"
Volkswagen Jetta: 33.5"
Saturn Ion: 33.3"
Subaru Impreza: 33.0"
Hyundai Accent: 32.8"
Kia Rio: 32.7"

Once again - a surprise, especially at the price point. Its other two price competitors are at the very bottom of the class.
 
That's amazing. I dunno, maybe you 'feel' roomier in the xB, since the front and back feel awfully roomy compared to the Aveo. In terms of on road manners though the xB wins hands down. Although right now dad's considering a Matrix XR 4WD to replace Roadie. The fuel consumption's... well, it's just too much anymore with these stratospheric $2 a gallon gas prices :indiff:
 
No NASCAR avatar there, Victor? And once again, our "stat boy" M5Power laying down the stats on the Aveo. The Aveo is pretty nice, but I don't see myself in any Chevy except maybe the Corvette, but especially the Camaro RS. My parents probably won't allow me to get that sporty Camaro RS of late.

Speaking of the Camaro (and not to bring up a totally different topic), why do I have a feeling that the concept car they made (SS-R, is it? The one in red with 400 horsepower and looks too much like an RX-8 in styling?) could be the next Camaro, had there been plans?
 
Naw there was a concept featured in Popular Hot Rodding, much closer to what could be the actual thing. If the GTO's a success (and it is selling pretty well, I geard) the Camaro should be based on the next-gen GTO. However, I get worried sometimes because the Camaro's revival is riding on the GTO's popularity. But since, from a local dealership, 'they're taking them almost as soon as they get shipped' I needen't worry :)
 
Ok, I get it now... that's what's going on. It makes sense, the only reason GM has some actual cars that didn't look like it came from GM is because that traitor Bob Lutz is in control. It's too bad he's not at Chrysler still. :grumpy:
 
Don't get your boy John wrong, though. I think the next Camaro would have to be as sweet as the ones in the 1990s. Maybe it could use a touch more horsepower, maybe the same weight as the Corvette, only lighter, and that sort of thing. And I would love to see a Camaro "GT1" in racing again. And who knows? Maybe Rhys Millen would want to drift a Camaro while he's drifting a GTO/Monaro.
 
Hey, the GTO already is up 50 hp to 400.

*ray of light shines through* plus dual exhausts with dual exits (rather than the original awkward left-side exit) and twin hood scoops. I'm really stoked about the '05 👍
 
Victor Vance
Although right now dad's considering a Matrix XR 4WD to replace Roadie. The fuel consumption's... well, it's just too much anymore with these stratospheric $2 a gallon gas prices :indiff:

Other good fuel economy AWD cars are the Subaru Impreza and Suzuki Aerio, both available in sedan and wagon guise. Obviously the Pontiac Vibe is up there too, but why anyone would choose it over the Toyota is beyond me. The Matrix XR AWD is clearly the best of the four, though.
 
I didn't know the Matrix came in 4WD, M5. Thanks, though. 👍
 
M5Power
:rolleyes: Is there an end to the nitpicking?
My gosh you finally modified your avatar!!!
 
My gosh you finally modified your avatar!!!

In three months and five days (Nov 30), it'll be celebrating its second birthday - though it's actually seen about thirty special editions with modified colors or pictures tossed in over the, well, year and 9 months.

There's nitpicking.
 
M5Power
Other good fuel economy AWD cars are the Subaru Impreza and Suzuki Aerio, both available in sedan and wagon guise. Obviously the Pontiac Vibe is up there too, but why anyone would choose it over the Toyota is beyond me. The Matrix XR AWD is clearly the best of the four, though.
American Badge. And this is about dad's comfort getting in and out, and the Impreza and Aveo are ouchies. Why the Vibe? Hmm it's a Toy rebadged as a GM! 'Nuff Said! :D

Anyways, right now the Mazda 6S wagon is the topic of discussion so this doesn't matter...
 
What's the difference between 4WD and AWD, then? I just want to know WITHOUT a rivalry or flame session.
 
JohnBM01
What's the difference between 4WD and AWD, then? I just want to know WITHOUT a rivalry or flame session.

AWD, when engaged, distributes power only when it detects slippage; 4WD, when engaged, is always working with all four wheels. For all practical purposes the terms are completely interchangeable and in large part there isn't a single person who would care if you substituted one for the other, unless you were involved in a technical discussion. Honda agrees and calls their terrible all-wheel drive system "Real-Time four-wheel drive" just because 'four-wheel drive' sounds more secure to buyers than 'all-wheel drive'.
 
AWD vehicles have single-speed center differentials or transfer cases.

4WD vehicles have two-speed transfer cases.


Huge difference, and not just in technical discussions.
 
Firebird
Huge difference, and not just in technical discussions.

No it isn't. The only time the difference is worth mentioning is in technical discussions or if someone literally asks a question like "is the Subaru Legacy four-wheel drive?". Otherwise, the terms are wholly similar.
 
Fine.

samsqueeze.jpg


You try doing that with a Subaru Legacy.
 
Firebird
Fine.

samsqueeze.jpg


You try doing that with a Subaru Legacy.

A subaru legacy isn't raised and have 30" tires. A truck against a car. Ha. Plus jeeps were made for off-road.
 
First off a stock Cherokee could do that. The guy in the pic has a rediculus amount of clearance.

Secondly, a Cherokee is as much a truck as a Legacy.

Finally, of course it was made to go offroad. It has 4WD.
 
What Subaru had in mind was snow or when you get stuck. Not for rock climbing.:rolleyes:
 
Of course. Subarus have AWD.

I told you there was a huge difference...
 
Another thing. The Cherokee was discontinued in 2002. The Liberty fills its sopt.
 
Victor Vance
Another thing. The Cherokee was discontinued in 2002. The Liberty fills its sopt.

The Cherokee was discontinued in 2001. Why is that relevant?

I'll rephrase, incidentally:

The difference between all-wheel and four-wheel drive is only relevant in technical discussions and during the kind of off-roading that people who don't know the difference would never attempt.

The terms are still interchangeable.
 
Regardless of ground clearance a Subaru could not do that because it only has AWD.

Hypothetically if a Cherokee had a single-speed transfer case it could not do what is pictured above. At the very least it would have a tough time going about it.
 
M5Power
The Cherokee was discontinued in 2001. Why is that relevant?

I'll rephrase, incidentally:

The difference between all-wheel and four-wheel drive is only relevant in technical discussions and during the kind of off-roading that people who don't know the difference would never attempt.

The terms are still interchangeable.
You're right (you dictionary-like nitpicking b******), but the reason it's re;evant is because you can't get a new Cherokee, but you can get a new Legacy :rolleyes:
 
Back