Pop ups. Why tho?

• Thread starter bmxmitch
  • 42 comments
Germany
Berlin, Germany
bmxmitch1
It's 2018 and we still have to deal with trees popping up in the distance and other stuff. I mean, really PD?

It's most annoying with brake lights popping up when youre a few meters behind. Sometimes you cant even see the guy braking in front of you.
I just wonder how this can still be a thing? The PS4 has the power and the tracks arent too detailed, so it shouldnt be a problem...in theory!?

And especially at Monza, it feels like the old PS2 days. I really dont get it...

And another little detail that annoys the hell out of me, low textured decals in sport mode. The cars look awful if you pit or check the replays. :ill:

It simply doesnt fit to Kaz's "philosophy" of highly detailed cars and tracks. :rolleyes:

It's 2018 and we still have to deal with trees popping up in the distance and other stuff. I mean, really PD?

Because with the amount of detail and eye candy PD has displaying on the screen at one time the game is stretching the available resources of the PS4 to the max. Frame rates take priority over resources in the distance as well.

With the cost of a PS4 and the hardware being used the PS 4 actually does an amazing job for what it is.

Are you running PS4 normal or PS4 Pro? I have to admit that, other than headlights in the rear view mirror I don't have that many problems with pop-in...

I'm running a PS4 Pro through a 4K screen, however.

Because with the amount of detail and eye candy PD has displaying on the screen at one time the game is stretching the available resources of the PS4 to the max. Frame rates take priority over resources in the distance as well.

With the cost of a PS4 and the hardware being used the PS 4 actually does an amazing job for what it is.

I really doubt that the PS4 cant handle more. It's more likely the game engine they use for GTS. It seems outdated.

Are you running PS4 normal or PS4 Pro? I have to admit that, other than headlights in the rear view mirror I don't have that many problems with pop-in...

I'm running a PS4 Pro through a 4K screen, however.

I recently switched to a Pro with a 55" 4K TV.
Just try Monza once more. The trees popping up on the strait are worse than in GT5.

I don't notice these little things.

Then again, I grew up with racing games looking like this... so as far as I'm concerned, GTS looks amazing.

It's all about perspective.
maxresdefault (1).jpg
maxresdefault.jpg
Turbo1.png

I have played GT Sport on both PS4s and I must say on the Pro the pop ups and LOD changes are way more noticeable. Especially in 4K on a big TV. Seems like there is no difference in these settings so looking at the game in 4K makes it easier to spot these things.

I have played GT Sport on both PS4s and I must say on the Pro the pop ups and LOD changes are way more noticeable. Especially in 4K on a big TV. Seems like there is no difference in these settings so looking at the game in 4K makes it easier to spot these things.

Bad news right there. Better console, better monitor, worse performance. Shouldn’t it be the other away around?

I have played GT Sport on both PS4s and I must say on the Pro the pop ups and LOD changes are way more noticeable.

This here the game is programmed to allocate the resources for acceptable performance to the lowest denominator which would be the standard PS4.

The game itself is not running a different version to accommodate or take advantage of the higher specs available for the pro or 4k display thus the weaknesses being more noticeable,

The next game in the series will probably be based on the higher pro specs and 4k display and the issue will either be less or eliminated completely.

Ive noticed playing in 4K that the detail pop between car models as they get closer/further away, is much more noticeable in 4K. Also it drops frames when there’s a lot going on. I’m playing in 1080 as it looks better and smoother.

It's most annoying with brake lights popping up when youre a few meters behind. Sometimes you cant even see the guy braking in front of you.
I just wonder how this can still be a thing? The PS4 has the power and the tracks arent too detailed, so it shouldnt be a problem...in theory!?

And especially at Monza, it feels like the old PS2 days. I really dont get it...

And another little detail that annoys the hell out of me, low textured decals in sport mode. The cars look awful if you pit or check the replays. :ill:

It simply doesnt fit to Kaz's "philosophy" of highly detailed cars and tracks. :rolleyes:

Every game suffers from pop-in that includes Sim racers on consoles(don't know how often it happens on PC)

Bad news right there. Better console, better monitor, worse performance. Shouldn’t it be the other away around?

Better resolution means easier to spot mistakes,take a old game and bump the resolution to 4k,you will notice things that weren't there in lower resolutions.

I really doubt that the PS4 cant handle more. It's more likely the game engine they use for GTS. It seems outdated.

I recently switched to a Pro with a 55" 4K TV.
Just try Monza once more. The trees popping up on the strait are worse than in GT5.

It's more likely the other way around. The GTS engine is made for Rec.2020 color space with HDR range up to 10k nits. So far TVs only support a fraction of that. Current hardware isn't good enough yet to fully display the future proofed game engine.

On a 4K tv you're still limited to a 1800p checkerboard solution to get the game running at 60 fps. Aggressive lod is needed as well and is more noticeable in 4K. The lighting is static for now and we have yet to see a wet race apart from the one wet track in the challenges.

I play on a pro in 4K and distance markers pop in late on Monza. I'm not that bothered about trees yet essential things like brake markers shouldn't pop in. I've also been starting from the back for a few weeks now and often the frame rate tanks considerably in T1 when all the cars are bunched together with a lot of smoke and ghosting going on.

Instead of working with an outdated engine for GT5 and GT6, PD is now working with a game engine designed for PS5. Hopefully next gen we won't have to wait 5 years for a GT game!

Instead of working with an outdated engine for GT5 and GT6, PD is now working with a game engine designed for PS5. Hopefully next gen we won't have to wait 5 years for a GT game!

I'm excited to know what PD will do with the PS5,consoles getting rid of the Jaguar CPU will make a huge difference for next gen

I'm excited to know what PD will do with the PS5,consoles getting rid of the Jaguar CPU will make a huge difference for next gen

According to this it might be a while though!

Months of speculation about the PS5 have been dramatically ended by Sony Interactive Entertainment CEO John Kodera, who has confirmed that there will be no new PlayStation before 2021.

It's still like 3 years for next-gen to come so don't expect to see anything GT related sooner than 5 years from now.

With backwards compatibility i think there will be a Spec 2.0 update for GT Sport on next gen,as for the time next gen arrives i think we are 2 years away,companies are already hinting at next gen,Bethesda announced 2 next gen games at E3

as for the time next gen arrives i think we are 2 years away,

If the supposed announcement by the Sony CEO of 2021 is true we are looking at more like three years.

Generally on all the PS models except one the new model gets a fall launch date I guess for the upcoming xmas holiday sales that take place in many parts of the world.

With the speed and amount of technology changes within the computer and chip market if in fact we are 3 years away from a launch of a new model I would say even to attempt speculating on what chip or graphics series or technology will be in the new model at this point and this far out would or may be worthless.

12-18 months from now when we would then be reaching a time frame that what tech may be used then perhaps speculation could be somewhat accurate and would be decided on based of performance , availability and of course price to keep the new PS5 within their targeted price range for sales.

I don't notice these little things.

Then again, I grew up with racing games looking like this... so as far as I'm concerned, GTS looks amazing.

It's all about perspective.View attachment 748440 View attachment 748441 View attachment 748442

The first photo is of OutRun and was one of my favorite games to play at the arcade back in the day.
I remember when it was first released and the line to play that game was over an hour long.
It was one of the first arcade Racing games that the seat moved around while you were playing. I would like to own one of them today.

The first photo is of OutRun and was one of my favorite games to play at the arcade back in the day.
I remember when it was first released and the line to play that game was over an hour long.
It was one of the first arcade Racing games that the seat moved around while you were playing. I would like to own one of them today.

I beat that game once. But it wasn't in the arcade, I beat it at home using an Arcade simulator and OutRun ROM on my PC.

I spent most of my time in the arcades playing SpyHunter, Return Of The Jedi and Turbo.

To get back on topic, we have come a long way since the early 1980's graphics.

Could it be the loading from the hard disk that is causing the pop in? Because when i played call of duty the high res textures loaded after the match started. When i switched to an ssd the match started with the high res textures. On GT i don't really notice much pop in other than the straight at monza? And i don't recall any problems with brake lights, on which tracks/races does that happen?

If the supposed announcement by the Sony CEO of 2021 is true we are looking at more like three years.

Xbox is aiming for a 2020 release date,they are already talking about their next console called Project Scarlet and Bethesda confirmed 2 of their next games are next gen,if Sony wants 2021 Microsoft will have a 1 year advantage

:rolleyes:

To be honest, it's not like it's a far-fetched acknowledgement. Coming from the PS3 titles, you wouldn't necessarily be in the wrong to think that with the things they're removing and toning down, things like this wouldn't really been an issue. However, it's still likely due to the fact that outright beauty is one of the forefronts of this game, so I wouldn't doubt it if it takes up a good chunk of the resources, again.

Is it a major issue? No, I don't really think so, to be honest. However, it's not to off-base to originally form that conclusion.

Xbox is aiming for a 2020 release date,they are already talking about their next console called Project Scarlet and Bethesda confirmed 2 of their next games are next gen,if Sony wants 2021 Microsoft will have a 1 year advantage

But then Sony will probably release a more powerful console than MS and it will be newest pony on the block at the holiday sales for the launch year.

What Sony has going for it is that most people prefer Sony exclusives over MS exclusives and they have been able to retain a certain loyalty from their customers as a result.

The only pop-ups I'm bothered by are flags, as their stationary position is a low point in the waving animation so it flings up and waves when you get close enough. Easily seen at Blue Moon and Dragon Trail Seaside. If they moved it to activate farther it'd be fine.

Latest Posts

Back