• Thread starter kennylmao
  • 86 comments
Chad
Chad
kennylmao
12863185703_ae1cf9d26f_b.jpg

12863533014_30be705edf_b.jpg

12863532324_05d8d9eb53_b.jpg

Porsche Macan, the new V6 powered SUV range.

My thoughts:

What is this?!! Porsche doing the Audi thing now? I honestly don't see a reason for this to exist other than monies.

Porsche's site for more info: http://www.porsche.com/microsite/macan/usa.aspx

Also, apologies if there already is a thread for this. I did a search and came up with nothing for 'Macan'.

Reviews I've seen are saying it's by far the sportiest small SUV on the market, which is something. But the real reason is money. Porsche already has 50,000 orders, there's a year long waiting list.

If you see one in person, regardless of how you feel about it as a product, check out those taillights. They're very cool, playing with all three dimensions in a way that you very rarely see.

Now that the Infiniti FX has gotten old and ugly, I'm actually not completely offended by this. Sporty SUV's are still inherently silly things, but then again, so are sports cars. And I'd rather trust the sports car maker to build a sporty SUV/crossover than someone else...

I like it, although agree the styling can be divisive. The rear lights are a nice touch and refer to the current 911. I'm really more interested if Porsche now come up with a Q3 based SUV, as this is still too bit for my liking. My mate has a Q5 and it's huge.

The V6 sounds a bit boring though (as in exhaust note), but one can't argue with the performance.

Some day Porsche are gonna surprise us and make a car that doesn't look like a 911 drove through a hall of mirrors. It would be pretty much the first since the 968 (Carrera GT and 918 aside).

I think it looks great- the "face" that Porsche used for the third cayenne looks much better on a smaller car. The wheels look good, and so does the rear. Currently the prettiest Porsche other than the Boxster.

My thoughts:

What is this?!! Porsche doing the Audi thing now? I honestly don't see a reason for this to exist other than monies

Well, the guys at Porsche are pretty clever. By doing the Cayenne, Panamera, and now the Macan they can now do:
  1. Build the 918
  2. Re-enter the prototype racing category in endurance racing
  3. Continue to develop their 911-based endurance racers
  4. Go nuts with 911 variants, sporty or otherwise
It might dilute the brand to some, but if anything, it's let Porsche be Porsche by having oodles and oodles of money. I'd venture a guess and say that if they aren't the most-profitable marque in the VAG portfolio, they can't be far from the top.

If you see one in person, regardless of how you feel about it as a product, check out those taillights. They're very cool, playing with all three dimensions in a way that you very rarely see.
I kinda dig the back and the taillights too. As well as the front. Just not sure if I like both together on the same car.

This thing rocks. I'd love to drive one. It's the only non-coupe they've made that actually works with the whole "Porsche" shape-slash-design scheme.
The shape kinda reminds me of an Alfa Brera with a jacked up suspension.

As a concept, this car really appeals to me, and if I was in the market for a £50k daily driver, a diesel Macan would be the 1st thing on my list. Big enough to get all the gear in, lovely interior, very well built, 4WD for when the weather gets bad, yet with very decent performance and handling to match the very best wagons from BMW and Mercedes. Plenty of presence too (I'm a massive fan of the 2nd gen Cayenne too).

The reviews in the magazines have been very, very complimentary.

One of these for daily duties and a 911 for weekends... perfect combination :)

So soccer moms are downsizing from their Cayenne's huh?

Yeah, their husbands aren't making the dough they used to!

I've seen this a lot where people are moving one down to the mid size SUV mainly due to the cost of running a tank like the Q7. I have to say it does look better than the Cayenne because the body shape is much more like a Porsche should be.

Last edited:
So... Macan? Do you say it Mah-kunn, or May-ken.. or what?

I don't think i can take it seriously should it reach South East Asian borders, since.. the word Macan is similar to the way Malays say 'to eat' (makan). But it looks a lot better than whatever Audi pumps out in the SUV department.

SUV for very rich guys. I'd rather get a Volvo if I were able to afford that Macan.

So... Macan? Do you say it Mah-kunn, or May-ken.. or what?

I don't think i can take it seriously should it reach South East Asian borders, since.. the word Macan is similar to the way Malays say 'to eat' (makan).

Here, word 'macan' means 'a cat person' (masculine singular).

So the website is claiming 4.4 seconds to 60 mph with the turbo version. In a vehicle that holds 5, has cargo space, is supposed to be really good off road, handles well on the road, and is under 100k... unbelievable.

Turbo is impressive, but running costs would e high in Europe at c.20mpg. The diesel is plenty quick enough as a daily at 6s to 60 and >140mph, but has real World 40mpg average consumption. £50k with the necessary 20's and sat nav, plus a panoramic roof and few other bits.

Still think I'd still prefer a Cayenne V8 diesel S for the extra space, but that's another £20k+.

I like it - much better than the Cayenne. Glad to see Porsche pick up the ball that infiniti dropped with the 2nd gen FX.
It's starting to grow on me. I think it's a much prettier car compared to the Cayenne. The only thing that still bugs me is the taillights. Nice concept, but I think it doesn't quite fit with the rest of the car.

Back