• 57 comments

Stotty

My other car's a Porsche
Premium
United Kingdom
London
GTP_Stotty
From Autocar...

Porsche has plans for a new mid-engined supercar that, if approved by bosses at parent company Volkswagen, will take it into direct competition with Ferrari, McLaren and sister firm Lamborghini.

Conceived as a regular model rather than a high-priced, limited-edition production special, the new two-seater is intended to be positioned above the 911 but below the the 918 Spyder. Roadster and coupé versions are being discussed.

This would pitch the new Porsche into the same price territory as the Ferrari 458 Italia, McLaren MP4-12C and Lamborghini Gallardo LP560-4. The 458 Italia lists at £169,545 in the UK — £59,313 more than Porsche’s most expensive ‘regular’ model, the 911 Turbo.

“We’re looking to extend the range,” Porsche boss Mathias Muller revealed in a recent interview. “We’ve got an idea to do another mid-engined model. We’re thinking above the 911 but below the 918 Spyder.”

Muller suggests that the new supercar has already progressed beyond the initial drawing board stage. “We have ideas on styling and design, which we will continue to develop in the coming months,” he revealed. “We’ll also evaluate the economic side and then decide [whether to push ahead].”

The Boxster, Cayman and 911 use unitary steel construction, but it is believed that Porsche is considering extensive use of carbonfibre-reinforced plastic to reduce weight. Recent low-volume models at Porsche, including the Carrera GT and 911 GT2 RS, have given the firm experience in lightweight construction.

The business case for the new supercar is rumoured to focus on annual global sales of between 2500 and 3000 — around half that of the 911 Turbo and its various derivatives, including the GT2.

An alternative plan to borrow heavily from the second-gen Audi R8’s aluminium spaceframe architecture was never given serious consideration, according to a senior source. The initial proposals for the new Porsche supercar follow a similar parts-sharing strategy to that undertaken with the Boxster/Cayman and 911, which have a 60 per cent commonality.

“It is entirely possible that we could use a front end that’s similar but not necessarily the same as the 911’s, including components such as the axle and suspension,” said our insider. “The rear end wouldn’t be unlike that of the Boxster/Cayman in architectural terms, just bigger to accommodate a larger mid-mounted engine and gearbox installation, while providing greater overall length and width than the 911.”

Engine plans are less clear. But to compete with the 458 Italia, Gallardo LP560-4 and MP4-12C, the new Porsche will need in the region of 550bhp to 600bhp.Options include a version of Porsche’s 3.8-litre flat six, which in its ultimate twin-turbo form, as seen in the GT2 RS, currently kicks out 620bhp.

A production version of the RS Spyder race car’s 3.4-litre V8 is also a possibility. Such a unit is showcased in the 918 Spyder, where it is claimed to produce 555bhp on its own and 756bhp in combination with a 201bhp electric motor.

Greg Kable

untitled.jpg

Whilst I can see this car selling very well relatively speaking, I can't help thinking that Porsche could have done this years ago. Another challenge is how do you give it enough performance to compete with the 458/MP4, yet not too much to undermine the 918 (which will cost 3-4 x a 458 at todays prices)?

Looks like a horrible photoshop mashup of an Audi R8, 911 Turbo and 918 Spyder, but this news excites me. I just hope they don't go down the hybrid route...

Yeah, Autocar are known for their mashed up renderings.

IMO, it's got way too much 918 in it... if it looked like that, 918 owners would be wondering why they'd spent £700k on something they could have got for £180k :lol:

997 Turbo mk1 wheels too!

Haha, yeah. It's pretty much 918 from the A-pillar forward, with an R8 rear end and 911 Turbo air intake and wheels. Not one of their best...

Nice, let's see if they can innovate a bit when it comes to styling.

One thing got me thinking, the current 911 turbos aren't far behind the 458 and MP4_12C in stats and specs, the new 911[AKA 998] will surely be even faster, perhaps matching the 458. How much quicker will this new car be?

That rendering is pretty bad, especially since the article states that they're probably going to go with a fron-end that's similar to that of the 911 (and I'd think that would show, a bit at least).

Either way, I think it's pretty natural for Porsche to finally get a competitor to the 458, MP4 and the Gallardo... Well, another competitor aside from the GT2RS (and whatever the 991 range will have in store for us).
The 918 will compete with the likes of the Avantador and the upcoming Ferrrari F70, I think, so it should be possible for Porsche to get cars of both categories sold.

And, additionally, the 918 isn't exactly the kind of car that's going to be bought because it's a unique performer or whatever, I guess that most people are going to buy because it's a status symbol, or because they collect Porsche.

The 997.2 Turbo S with the PDK box is already faster than a 458 in a straight line, and I'd expect the 991 Turbo to be quicker still.

And therein lies the challenge for 'Supercars'... cooking models have become so quick that it's very hard to create a significant performance gap when it comes to halo models... eg; a 458 is faster than an Enzo, so how much faster can the new F70 be, the MP4 does 0-100 in 6.1s... just how much faster can cars get before their performance is effectively too fast for use on the road.

I think Supercars will need to offer something other than just a performance advantage to stand out in the future... like the hybrid technollogy in the 918.

I never believe Autocar's images, they seem to make a new one every week and then think of a car to fit it.

I'd still take a GT3 over this.

I'd still take a GT3 over this.

Me too. But the current GT3 RSR is going to struggle to compete against the Vette, M3 and the new 458 GTC if Sebring was any indication. I think it's time Porsche introduced a new model above the 911 and use it for homologation purposes.

That said, it will be hard to picture Porsche not racing the 911 in the GT category.

you say about Sebring, but the 997 RSR is still the most succesful GT car of all time. It looked like this last year, and it went on to win Le Mans and the LMS GT2 title.

A new model will come, but no truly all-professional teams were running an RSR at Sebring.

you say about Sebring, but the 997 RSR is still the most succesful GT car of all time. It looked like this last year, and it went on to win Le Mans and the LMS GT2 title.

A new model will come, but no truly all-professional teams were running an RSR at Sebring.

Flying Lizards are as good as they come and yes they were running an RSR. They're right up there with Corvette Racing, Risi Competizione & Rahal Letterman.

FLM can't win in outright pace with the RSR, it's come down to luck & reliability.

They're not when the team owner is one of the drivers for the longer races.

GT racing is part of the 911's DNA... I couldn't see Porsche stopping using the 911 for all GT classes.

Maybe a new MR Porsche could be homologated for GT1/2 classes, leaving the 911 free to concentrate on GT3 and the Porsche Supercup.

As a road car, I'd still take a 997.2 GT3RS over anything else on sale today.

I doubt Porsche will retire the 911 as its GT race car. The RSR is the most succesful GT race car ever, so I doubt the basic formular is wrong. If anything, the 997 is a bit outdated, which is no wonder, really.
Let's wait and see how a 991 GT3 RSR (or whatever it's going to be called) does, before declaring that Porsche might want to replace the 911 as its go-to race car.

Using the 911 for GT3 and the 918 RSR for GT1/2 might be feasible, though.

As a road car, I'd still take a 997.2 GT3RS over anything else on sale today.

👍 me too.
Well, unless I wasn't concerned about money in the slightest... A 918 it'd be, in that case. But, still, the GT3RS is just amazing...

Porsche should make a new 356 and enter in the WRC with a 1.6 litre turbo four verison..

There's a strong rumour that Porsche will build a sub Boxter sized and priced car in the future.

And 4cyl turbo's are definitely in the pipe line for both the next Boxter/Caymen and the generation of 911 after the 911.

1. Sounds like a way to finally uncap the Cayman's potential since Porsche had never wanted it to outdo the 911s.

2. Isn't the GT2/RS already a competitor to these cars? Besides that, I've already read from the owners that RS development had to be stopped from running on the heels of the 918, so where exactly is this new car going to fit in....

Is it just me, or would anyone else rather have a 928-successor based off the Panamera? I mean, this whole idea is great, but I feel as though Porsche could sell more GT cars than a middle weight mid-engine sports car.

Easy solution: Offer 911 engine range etc in Boxster/Cayman lineup.. like they should've had done in the first place! :irked:

But aren't the Boxster/Cayman engines basically same as the rest of Porsche's flat 6 engines, just with less displacement?

Uh yeah, sorry about that, I was under the impression that the boxter/cayman were using a flat four and not a flat six

I feel stupid and shall next time research before I post :(

Porsche 961 confirmed

Porsche CEO Matthias Muller has finally confirmed that the company is working on a rival for the Ferrari 458 Italia.

Muller wants to bridge the gap between performance models such as the 911 GT2 RS and the upcoming £672,000 918 Spyder hybrid supercar. The perfect car to slot into that space is a mid-engined supercar that Muller envisages will cost around £250,000.

Porsche hasn’t confirmed a name for the newcomer, but rumours suggest it could be badged 961. It will borrow technology from the 918 Spyder, including a lightweight carbon fibre-reinforced plastic monocoque chassis.

Power is likely to come from the 4.6-litre V8 engine used in the 918 Spyder. Expect around 570bhp and a 0-62mph time of just over three seconds – figures to match those of the 458 Italia and McLaren 12C.

AutoExpress

porsche-961.jpg

Back