*Possible Glitch* anyone else notice missing colors?

  • Thread starter Thread starter land sea air
  • 40 comments
  • 3,866 views
Messages
3,987
United States
Gaithersburg/MD
Messages
landseaair
I could simply be missing something here since I haven't paid too much attention to paint chips until now. Early in the game I bought a Mustang mach 1 in Grabber Lime for one of the muscle car cups. Recently I also purchased a new mustang and wanted to paint it the same color and modify it in a similar way as the old mach one. Lo and behold I don't have a grabber lime paint chip! I'm absolutely sure I didn't use it on another car and since it's a normal car I purchased I would assume I should have a chip... Am I going insane?
 
I have had this with an Audi avant i bought from the dealership, wasn't paying attention when i bought it and didn't notice if a chip was given or not,went to look for chip later to paint the wheels the same colour and couldn't find it, so I bought another Audi to get the chip but no chip came with the car, maybe certain colours or cars are bugged/glitched, I will check tomorrow with the same car but a different colour.
 
yeah I would really rather not buy the same car again just for the chip obviously, if it is some sort of glitch with certain cars/colors then perhaps it can be cataloged
 
Happens with lots of cars. You don't get the Viper GTS blue when purchasing a Viper, I actually bought one for the color only. :S
 
If you were to spray the Mustang another colour would the Grabber Lime be released into you paints ? If so , save your current game, spray the car get the paint, then gift it a friend, reload your game , gift it back to yourself , you have the Mustang in Grabber Lime and a paint chip to match ?
 
That doesn't seem to be the way it works, when you paint a car you don't gain anything, you just lose the chip of the color you painted the car in. From what I have read elsewhere it seems like you might not get paint chips from cars that have two colors? My mach one does have the black stripe on it but I seem to remember some instances of cars with stripes where I do have the chip in stock (the maroon cobra I just won in b-spec being a definite example). I really REALLY hate this paint system :(
 
I'm sure lots of my paint chip have been lost because I can't find some I know I had for sure.
 
i know speciality colors arent given to you

i bought a ford gt that was grey with white stripes

i wanted to paint my mustang that same color, but found out that i was not given the chip for "grey w/ white stripes"
 
Am I going insane?

No, the grabber blue and grabber lime, among others, are not given to you for purchasing the car. Why? I haven't got a clue other than another PD oversight.
 
Not an oversight. Special colors are not given to you. Apparently, they're regarded as special colors.

On the other hand, you get a paint chip for HEMI© Orange, and any number of oddball beiges, browns and whatnot in the game.
 
"Special" colors? Has anyone been able to define that yet? (and yes I do have Hemi orange among others that I would consider "special")
 
Am I going insane?


I didn't find another thread to put this in, so I thought I would post here (b/c I thought i was going crazy too!).

Alright, I got a matte purple paint chip for having 150 cars in my garage. I clicked "ok" let the game save, quit the game, backed up my save data on a SD card and started the game back up. My "plan" was to paint a car matte purple, take it to photomode to see how it looked, then just reload the data from the SD card and act like nothing ever happened (if I didn't like it how the car looked).

Soooo, I didn't like it and after I copied the data from the SD card back to the PS3 and started the game back up, I had 6 random paint chips (no matte purple) that I didn't remember getting. I said "wtf?" and reloaded the SD card data (overwriting the original) again and started the game up a 2nd time. Guess what? 6 RANDOM paint chips different from the last time! I did this over and over and each time I got 6 paint chips I've never seen before (w/o my matte purple at the top).

I'm not really mad, but I am afraid it might mess something up down the road (game freeze / corrupt data). I wasn't trying to "cheat", I just wanted to use a paint chip and reload my backed up data...and it came back as a total "paint chip = fail" moment...

(p.s. - if you are brave and don't care about your paint chips, try recreating my scenario! you might get a color you like :D)
 
Sorry, but that's nothing new. The first time you fire up the game after midnight, you get free paints from PD. You kept overwriting the save which meant you were getting new paint every time.
 
You are not going insane.
I've bought a Mclaren f1 in titanium silver,
because that color lloks awesome, but i didn't get it.
 
You get random paints every day when you get museum cards and in the same amount. I've noticed alot of my paints don't stack properly. For instance having 2-3 stacks of matte purple instead of all being together.
 
Sorry, but that's nothing new. The first time you fire up the game after midnight, you get free paints from PD. You kept overwriting the save which meant you were getting new paint every time.

Huh. Ok, thanks for the reply. But, what about that matte paint chip? Do we know why the 6 free chips from PD take precedence over what I was awarded? You'd think it would list my matte chip, THEN the 6 new paints. But the purple wasn't ever there. Also, the new horn wasn't in my item list either. Again, I'm not dying for answers, just thought it was strange and maybe the backed up file transfers aren't 100% when you go back and forth???
 
Looks like your save got screwed up. If you backed it up with the purple still there, then it should be there. Did you filter the paints by type? You have all, solid, metallic, pearl and so on. Select Matte and see if the purple is there.
 
sorry double post
 
Last edited:
"Special" colors? Has anyone been able to define that yet? (and yes I do have Hemi orange among others that I would consider "special")

Simply put they are the paints you dont get chips for. I know the new mclaren MP4 has an awesome Flame Black but its "special" so no chip.

I'm guessing some manufactures may have requested that some of their paints be exclusive to their cars.


, just thought it was strange and maybe the backed up file transfers aren't 100% when you go back and forth???

Well do you manually save or just trust that the autosave worked? because I have rebooted after my ps3 froze, an the autosave saved the info for the credits I had just spent (credits were gone) but the mods I had just purchased were nowhere to be found, and others have observed this too.

Dont trust autosave, save manualy always.
 
You can tell whether or not the car comes with a paintchip. Just scroll over the paint colour (when viewing the car) and check for a name. A paint colour without a name means that you won't a paintchip, a paint colour with a come means that you will get a paintchip.
 
You can tell whether or not the car comes with a paintchip. Just scroll over the paint colour (when viewing the car) and check for a name. A paint colour without a name means that you won't a paintchip, a paint colour with a come means that you will get a paintchip.
Partially incorrect. A color that doesn't have a name will not provide a paint chip, so you're right there. Special colors won't, yet mostly have names (Grabber Lime, in this instance). A special color appears to be defined as a car with two (or more) paint colors (Like on the Mach 1; GL and Black) on the car. That's why you don't get paint chips from race cars, either.
 
Maybe some of the colours are 'exclusive'?
I didn't get any paint items from cars like the Ford GT, Audi R8 and Mclaren MP4-12C.
 
Did you filter the paints by type? You have all, solid, metallic, pearl and so on. Select Matte and see if the purple is there.

Yea...I filted the results. Checked for "paint name" wasn't there. Did "hue", all that jazz. Something just glitched. Thanks!

Dont trust autosave, save manualy always.

Ahhhh! You might have a good point! When I saw the lil spinny thing on the bottom corner, I assumed it saved. I actually do click the "manual" save every night after racing (just to be safe), but I was just messing around and didn't even think of that before I started messing around with the paint. I guess I am just out a Matte paint chip...meh.
 
You can tell whether or not the car comes with a paintchip. Just scroll over the paint colour (when viewing the car) and check for a name. A paint colour without a name means that you won't a paintchip, a paint colour with a come means that you will get a paintchip.

not true, if I go look at the mach one right now it shows the name grabber lime when I highlight it, and yet I had no paint chip from buying it before.
 
you can't have a two-tone paint chips, simple as that.

Not true! I bought a Corvette to RM it and it had a blue with gray stripe and I have that color in my paint chips.
 
Try and find another similar green. I know it won't be the same but you probably won't be able to tell the difference. As far as two tone cars go i don't think you get paint for them, except for the Ford MKIV, which gives you a MKIV red paint chip (stripes not included).
 
Try and find another similar green. I know it won't be the same but you probably won't be able to tell the difference. As far as two tone cars go i don't think you get paint for them, except for the Ford MKIV, which gives you a MKIV red paint chip (stripes not included).

oh the problem is long solved, I ended up painting both of them performance blue since I had two chips. Funny part is that it changed the black hood and stripes to white.
 
I have the same problem with all the McLaren colors. I'm certain I got Carbon Black & Historic Orange chips but despite minutious scans, I can't find them anymore.
 
Back